Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Hogge Wild posted:

btw, here's what scott mccloud has been up to recently:

I'm glad you're getting chain probed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.

Memento posted:

I'm going to be lazy as poo poo and just link the imgur gallery but here's some new Teenage Stepdad for y'all. Just going to inline a few choice ones.

https://imgur.com/a/tpxwIej

Tell me there are more galleries of these. I need more of them immediately.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

But isn’t a reusable cum rag better for the environment than using paper towels every time :confused:

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Snowy posted:

But isn’t a reusable cum rag better for the environment than using paper towels every time :confused:

Maybe he just shoots it on the wall

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Snowy posted:

I prefer to call her Mrs. Snowy.

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

tangy yet delightful posted:

I prefer to call her Mrs. Snowy.

A break from the standard 'how IS your mom these days anyway?' version, nice

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

burial posted:

Tell me there are more galleries of these. I need more of them immediately.

Teenage Stepdad on Facebook and Instagram, go nuts.

Jamesman posted:

*Looks around at USA on fire*

Yeah we sure beat those Russkies alright.

Man have you ever seen what poo poo is like in Russia? You're doing fine.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

gently caress guys, it looks like i'm a gamer now. better kill myself

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

DiggityDoink posted:

gently caress guys, it looks like i'm a gamer now. better kill myself

Hating cops doesn't make you a gamer.

But you can't be a gamer unless you hate cops.

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Hating cops doesn't make you a gamer.

But you can't be a gamer unless you hate cops.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

https://twitter.com/xedgewin/status/1089123972539543558?s=19

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Slippery posted:

A break from the standard 'how IS your mom these days anyway?' version, nice

I am both cucked and impressed, myself

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

I went to Shen Yun and enjoyed it very much. My only complaint was they had opera performances with lyrics about seeking salvation and how science is a sin. Felt very out of place.

"Boy, I'm really enjoying the music and dancing and costume and... wait, did that lady just say evolution is a lie?"

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Milo and POTUS posted:

I'm glad you're getting chain probed

quoting that post deserves probation, too. Awful synpe

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Guy Mann posted:

Scott McCloud is cool because he's been wrong about literally everything he's ever opined on, from the future of the publishing industry to music piracy to comics, but because he goes out of his way to market himself to people who are completely clueless about the subjects he claims to be an expert on and nobody has the time or patience to even read much less challenge his bloviating walls of ~infinite canvas~ he's spent decades on the rolodex of talking heads publications can call up for a soundbites.

Making Comics gets some things right like how it's easier to self-publish online and that digital art is cheaper and more physically managable than all the stuff and space you need for traditional materials. But McCloud was like the millionth person to say or recognize that. There's some fine stuff in it about how to make comics and composition, but that book is so masturbatory with its shout outs.

Understanding Comics is still a pretty good, but I've never read either of Will Eisner's books Comics and Sequential Art or Graphic Storytelling and Visual Narrative and I wouldn't be surprised if they're better books. I've never read McCloud's Reinventing Comics, but I don't think I really want to.

Star Man has a new favorite as of 06:35 on Jan 27, 2019

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Jamesman posted:

I went to Shen Yun and enjoyed it very much. My only complaint was they had opera performances with lyrics about seeking salvation and how science is a sin. Felt very out of place.

"Boy, I'm really enjoying the music and dancing and costume and... wait, did that lady just say evolution is a lie?"

Similar note of theater fuckery I recently saw the musical version of Willy Wonka and nobody told me the squirrels loving rip Veruca to shreds limb by limb. They swapped the actress out with a dummy and I missed the swap so it extra threw me off.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

:hai:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

This is Sydney now that book of mormon has all but finished up

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Tim Whatley posted:

Similar note of theater fuckery I recently saw the musical version of Willy Wonka and nobody told me the squirrels loving rip Veruca to shreds limb by limb. They swapped the actress out with a dummy and I missed the swap so it extra threw me off.

Whoa I think this is in Sydney atm might have to go see it

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

goddamn if i could empty quote this until the end of time

the only good thing about the show was that Jennifer Aniston was sexy.

DiggityDoink has a new favorite as of 10:51 on Jan 27, 2019

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
I have fond memories of watching Friends with my family when I was younger and have avoided rewatching any of it because I don't think it would hold up.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

RagnarokAngel posted:

I mean yeah we did and then turned on ourselves.

1. Never reply to Jamesman
2. If you must replay to Jamesman, never quote him so literally every other person in the thread is spared from having to read his posts
3. If you absolutely must disregard 1. and 2., please do it for something more worthwhile than arguing with him about the country who entire system of government was collapsed by a single easily preventable environmental disaster over thirty years ago coming out ahead of anyone else w/r/t collapsing in the wake of environment disaster

CleverHans
Apr 25, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Slippery posted:

They lost the cold war but they are doing much better in the meme wars

Mr. President, we cannot allow a meme/schade gap!

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
America won the Cold War.
Russia ahead in the Cyber War.
Shatner is only survivor of the TekWar.

Mugsbaloney
Jul 11, 2012

We prefer your extinction to the loss of our job

Jerry Cotton posted:

The Noam Chomsky of printed cartoons.

The state of this post

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

Them's some long rear end battery throwing arms

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Zereth posted:

Things like "You could make a comic which goes any any direction! Go infinitely! What do you mean scrolling in any direction but "straight down" is a pain in the rear end on the internet"

I haven't read the book in ages.

People instantly figure out what the possibilities are in a new medium. Nobody needs someone to come along and open your eyes to unseen wonders 20 years after the fact.

Typically the restrictions presented by the medium become a key part of the shape of the thing; like TV episodes quickly developed to take full advantage of commercial breaks as dramatic or comedic stinger points, and now that commercial-driven TV is going away, episodes are being written with different kinds of dramatic structure. Printed comic books have page-turning as their innate heartbeat, so you do a 2-page spread as a big dramatic reveal with a single giant establishing shot or huge 2-page panel, or you use page breaks to signal scene changes. Books have chapter breaks, print comics have their own 3- or 4-panel rhythm. Sometimes would-be creators are just thick and don't pick up on this kind of skeletal structure or learn to use it to their advantage, but they're not the type of people to benefit from the intricacies they pick up from reading a book anyway.

A guy in my college class in loving 1995 had a gigantic Star Trek website hosted on the school's student cluster, back when webpages barely had invented background colors, and frames and tables were a brand-new feature. This guy looked around at a web that was less than a year old and said "pff, this medium is old and tired, let me break the mold" and designed his entire site to be horizontally scrolling. Because he could! Because why not! Well, turns out because it's horrible, people just don't like that kind of structure, and no other popular site that I've ever found since then has used a deliberately wacky navigation scheme like that. It's now the province of restaurants who all think they're going to revolutionize the genre and differentiate themselves by having a whole new kind of website (when the only reason anyone ever visits a restaurant website is to find out the hours and look at the lovely PDF menu). Lol I was going to link to Burger & Lobster because a couple years ago they had this ridiculous postmodern zoom-out/pan-in-some-random-direction/zoom-in navigation layout, but now their site has been replaced with a totally traditional scrolling restaurant site lmao

I've seen some really avant-garde webcomics that use poo poo like custom javascript parallax scrolling effects and custom animation and stuff like that, but drat it's hard to do and keep it fresh, and unless you're planning on being the next Homestuck or Homestar Runner it's just not worth it. But again, if you're at that level you don't need Scott McCloud to tell you what your imagination is missing

What you mean you don't have shamrock shakes yet

Data Graham has a new favorite as of 14:40 on Jan 27, 2019

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Data Graham posted:

People instantly figure out what the possibilities are in a new medium. Nobody needs someone to come along and open your eyes to unseen wonders 20 years after the fact.

Typically the restrictions presented by the medium become a key part of the shape of the thing; like TV episodes quickly developed to take full advantage of commercial breaks as dramatic or comedic stinger points, and now that commercial-driven TV is going away, episodes are being written with different kinds of dramatic structure. Printed comic books have page-turning as their innate heartbeat, so you do a 2-page spread as a big dramatic reveal with a single giant establishing shot or huge 2-page panel, or you use page breaks to signal scene changes. Books have chapter breaks, print comics have their own 3- or 4-panel rhythm. Sometimes would-be creators are just thick and don't pick up on this kind of skeletal structure or learn to use it to their advantage, but they're not the type of people to benefit from the intricacies they pick up from reading a book anyway.

A guy in my college class in loving 1995 had a gigantic Star Trek website hosted on the school's student cluster, back when webpages barely had invented background colors, and frames and tables were a brand-new feature. This guy looked around at a web that was less than a year old and said "pff, this medium is old and tired, let me break the mold" and designed his entire site to be horizontally scrolling. Because he could! Because why not! Well, turns out because it's horrible, people just don't like that kind of structure, and no other popular site that I've ever found since then has used a deliberately wacky navigation scheme like that. It's now the province of restaurants who all think they're going to revolutionize the genre and differentiate themselves by having a whole new kind of website (when the only reason anyone ever visits a restaurant website is to find out the hours and look at the lovely PDF menu). Lol I was going to link to Burger & Lobster because a couple years ago they had this ridiculous postmodern zoom-out/pan-in-some-random-direction/zoom-in navigation layout, but now their site has been replaced with a totally traditional scrolling restaurant site lmao

I've seen some really avant-garde webcomics that use poo poo like custom javascript parallax scrolling effects and custom animation and stuff like that, but drat it's hard to do and keep it fresh, and unless you're planning on being the next Homestuck or Homestar Runner it's just not worth it. But again, if you're at that level you don't need Scott McCloud to tell you what your imagination is missing

What you mean you don't have shamrock shakes yet
same

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
I liked Scott's book on how to make comics even though I have no talent, seeing him shill for buttcoins is sad.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

Data Graham posted:

and designed his entire site to be horizontally scrolling. Because he could! Because why not! Well, turns out because it's horrible, people just don't like that kind of structure, and no other popular site that I've ever found since then has used a deliberately wacky navigation scheme like that.

Except loving Netflix, and Spotify, and other fucks who deliberate design their interface to hide the fact that their portfolio is nowhere near as big as they want it to appear, and if their users were given a navigation interface that shows that their favorite content is no longer on there, they would get upset, so instead they get poor navigation, which is acceptable for some reason. Fuckers.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Shite for fuckers by fucks, the interface.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Sponge Baathist posted:

quoting that post deserves probation, too. Awful synpe

I feel like David Schwimmer did an underrated job making Ross a real piece of poo poo. In part because the marketing and writers disagreed but that was what he was going for and watching keeping that in mind makes his scenes at least way funnier.

Otherwise I agree.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Well now I guess when you have nothing to lose...

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
drat Brits, they ruined Britain!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009