Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I live in Madison and I heard nothing about that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

GreenNight posted:

I live in Madison and I heard nothing about that.
Oh, not in Madison, no, it's a Waukesha stabbing.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Yeah I knew about the stabbing, I meant the one day brat fest. But we’re getting smashmouth for the summer brat fest. Oh boy so much excitement.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

sneakyfrog posted:

im from minnesota, i have nothing good to say about those cheeseheads.

Not an emptyquote

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

GreenNight posted:

Yeah I knew about the stabbing, I meant the one day brat fest. But we’re getting smashmouth for the summer brat fest. Oh boy so much excitement.

Hey now.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Scarodactyl posted:

I see.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

GreenNight posted:

I would legitimately like to go see Smash Mouth play at a summer sausage festival

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
SMASHMOUTH EAT THE SAUSAGES
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YJfXdSR85o

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

edit: wrong thread

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

This post is an all star.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

lol 2 all

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Scarodactyl posted:

A fun thing to do to annoy Sconnies is to pronounce Waukesha "Waa-Ke$ha."

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
la crocks

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.
Just about finished with renovating our bathroom, and wanted to share two fun discoveries we made along the way.

We'd always noticed there was a very small bump in the ceiling below the bathroom, and assumed before we bought the house there'd been a leak at some point.

After pulling out the bathtub, however, we realized that when they built the house, the p-trap was too tall to fit in between the subfloor and ceiling below, but by just about a half-inch. Do they re-do the p-trap to make it fit?

Of course not. Just loving cut a whole in the ceiling and plaster over it.

Then, the previous light fixture was a big ugly bastard with a huge faceplate. Pulled the faceplate off aaaand

Miss the mark for where the electric should come out from the drywall? Just yank that poo poo on over.

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon
I love it. It makes me laugh and cry at the same time.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Just delightful PO stuff! No box, no restraint on the cable. Cut a huge gash and make it work. Probably had a different fixture before in a different place.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

The PO had laid down plywood in the attic, I guess to use it for storage. I am taking it out, as we're doing insulation and the attic was not up to snuff.

I kind of want to murder them. They didn't use consistent fasteners, so sometimes it's held down by drywall screws, sometimes nails, sometimes wood screws varying from 1" to 4". There are even some square head nails involved which I think the just grabbed from old roofing? Plus they just put the fasteners wherever, not consistent locations or distances, so sometimes there is one at each corner and other times they are every 6" down the edges.

They also seemed to have moved boards or redone some, because there will be random places where there is a screw home with nothing in it, so I'm always guessing whether it's an empty hole or just a very countersunk screw.

Top prize goes to the decision to just disconnect the old knob and tube and then bury it in insulation, so I had a horrible scare that someone had just packed over those live before I could confirm they weren't connected anymore. Just take them out!

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

:(

Please stop being mean to me, I've never been in a situation like this before. All the holes in the house have been patched and it is in livable condition except the internet hasn't been hooked back up yet. I'm still at my parents' house because it's going to storm tonight and I'm a little apprehensive about that.

All downed tree limbs have been hauled away. The roof will be fixed once all the snow clears up. I don't know what I'm doing about insurance right now. I'm a little distracted because I have a medical treatment every day for the next five weeks (transcranial magnetic stimulation for chronic depression) which is my main focus right now.

I'm just kind of overwhelmed and doing the best I can, ok?

Hey - did you end up back in the place?

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.

StormDrain posted:

Just delightful PO stuff! No box, no restraint on the cable. Cut a huge gash and make it work. Probably had a different fixture before in a different place.

I think it may have been the builders. The master and guest baths are back-to-back and mirrored, and the light fixtures matched in each. They also each had the same gash.

Another joy from this project: I had a friend nailing in baseboards, and he managed to hit the supply line for the vanity. There was a metal plate there to prevent this sort of thing, but they didn't account for the height of the mortar and tile, so it wasn't anywhere near high enough to do its job.

I mean that's mostly on me for not using a stud finder or something to check behind there, but it just never even crossed my mind.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

BurgerQuest posted:

Hey - did you end up back in the place?

Yeah, we got a new roof and everything is fixed except some drywall.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

dakana posted:

I think it may have been the builders. The master and guest baths are back-to-back and mirrored, and the light fixtures matched in each. They also each had the same gash.

Another joy from this project: I had a friend nailing in baseboards, and he managed to hit the supply line for the vanity. There was a metal plate there to prevent this sort of thing, but they didn't account for the height of the mortar and tile, so it wasn't anywhere near high enough to do its job.

I mean that's mostly on me for not using a stud finder or something to check behind there, but it just never even crossed my mind.

These stories are amazingly oddly interesting to me.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

dakana posted:

My dad had a mystery wet spot on the floor in his entrance hall (yes there's a leak dad, there's a mushroom growing out of the carpet). When we ripped the wall open it looked like the leak was coming from the upstairs bathroom drainage pipe but we couldn't find it. Thought it might have been leaking from where it was set into the concrete, which would have been a real pain in the rear end.

Had a plumber come in for a closer inspection and it turns out when the house was built in '82 the flooring crew had fired a very small nail through the drainage when laying the carpet tack strip, but the heat generated had likely caused the pipe to seal itself. 35 years later the nail finally rusted all the way through and started the pinhole leak.

Talk about a delayed failure.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Burt Sexual posted:

Perhaps you may wish to consider a career in property insurance adjusting!

Aftermath of a 48" water main rupture

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

dakana posted:

Miss the mark for where the electric should come out from the drywall? Just yank that poo poo on over.

Is that uninsulated live wire where they connected the wires together?

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

I'm guessing that the wire nuts were removed & that the line is cold, as the fixture's being removed.

The lack of a fixture box is triggering me.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

PainterofCrap posted:

I was wondering if that's what caused that. It was a busy-rear end week, though, so I forgot to follow up.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

You still can't go down Sansom because of that, months and months later.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

Yeah, we got a new roof and everything is fixed except some drywall.

^________________^

dakana
Aug 28, 2006

Burt Sexual posted:

I'm planning on writing up my bathroom reno once it's finished. It was my first real home project, and while I'm sure I'll get dragged for a lot of stupid choices and mistakes, it was a fantastic learning experience and gave me a lot of hubris confidence for future projects.

Dillbag posted:

35 years later the nail finally rusted all the way through and started the pinhole leak.

Talk about a delayed failure.

That's incredible. I'd just hooked up the plumbing to the vanity and installed the faucets before my buddy nailed in the baseboards, but luckily I went back underneath the vanity to test the overflow drain for leaks. I heard this very faint hissing / sputtering sound, and I figured it had to be the faucet or a loose supply line connector. I was looking all around for the source but couldn't figure it out. Finally I went downstairs and saw the giant wet spot on the ceiling, and ran back upstairs to start cutting into the drywall to figure out what the hell happened.

Dunno-Lars posted:

Is that uninsulated live wire where they connected the wires together?

Nah, vvv

PainterofCrap posted:

I'm guessing that the wire nuts were removed & that the line is cold, as the fixture's being removed.

The lack of a fixture box is triggering me.

Yeah, and the lack of a box surprised me too. The house is generally well built - the electrical panel was done well and is labeled nicely, there's good insulation throughout, the basement is tidy, etc, but then you find stupid poo poo like this. And one of the straws that broke our back for redoing the bathroom in the first place was the fact that the bathtub's overflow wasn't connected properly, leading to a water stain on the ceiling after one of us took a rather full soak.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
did you sink your bathtub?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
not as good as a bathtubbed sink

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
that would be helpful if you had dogs :thunk:

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
I cut out some of those extra pieces of wood between the floor and ceiling below to build a recessed dog bed, my dog really likes it

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
eh unless you walk in your dogbed you should be fine

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Or your dog is a descendant of Clifford

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

PainterofCrap posted:

The Dave posted:

You still can't go down Sansom because of that, months and months later.

Lol, I took this back in August from the same spot.

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

Is that a pressurized water main made out of bricks?? :psyduck:

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

What we do around here, is benefit brat frys for people. If someone has cancer, or trying to recover from heart surgery, or other medical issues, people will have a brat fry at a bar, where people can buy brats and hamberders hamburgers and drinks in the bar, and the proceeds go to that person or family to cover medical bills. Often times there will be raffle prizes that you can buy in to try and win, like booze or... booze, or.. well, it's usually booze.

Sometimes people get really drunk at these, and drive their vehicles into posts, or the occasional building, and earn their 4th or 5th DUI.

Dr.Smasher fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jan 28, 2019

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

TheDon01 posted:

Some of them are bored logs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fntV0c-fYE

When excavated, they’ve generally been bypassed by newer pipes, but some are still in use.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jan 28, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

TheDon01 posted:

It's just a sewer?