Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You might be able to catch a black bear in the hills behind Anchorage, I've seen them in the summer up at Hilltop ski area. Moose will be around but not in any terribly photogenic spots. Lots of bird life out at Potter Marsh.

But really I wouldn't pack lenses for wildlife unless I was doing a trip out into the bush, chasing those epic wildlife shots.

For landscape stuff, Matanuska glacier or Hatcher pass are my two favorite spots you can day trip to from Anchorage. Flattop is a great day hike that has a high view of Anchorage. The drive to Portage glacier is pretty great too because there are lots of trails and stopping points along the highway. Kincaid park is for ocean sunsets, or if you want to get holy poo poo close to a plane taking off.

Edit - oops missed the February part. Those spots all still work but might be harder to get to. Depending on exact dates you might be able to catch the start of the Iditarod, which is always fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

accipter posted:

Bobcat from Point Reyes this morning.

Where was this? There's a chance I might head out there tomorrow. These are fantastic.

Atlatl, hope you have more coming up this year!

accipter
Sep 12, 2003

BetterLekNextTime posted:

Where was this? There's a chance I might head out there tomorrow. These are fantastic.

Those were taken near the bridge at Abbott's Lagoon. It worked its way along the shore of the northern lake afterwards. Have you seen a bobcat in Wildcat Canyon?

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

accipter posted:

Those were taken near the bridge at Abbott's Lagoon. It worked its way along the shore of the northern lake afterwards. Have you seen a bobcat in Wildcat Canyon?

Cool, thanks! I saw some other Pt Reyes bobcat photos on Flickr that were also from Pierce Point Road area.

You know, I just saw my first in Wildcat Canyon a few days ago, but it was super far away. I used to see them almost daily when I lived in Carmel Valley but don't have any good photos of them.

Wildcat Canyon Bobcat-1878 on Flickr

BetterLekNextTime fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jan 2, 2019

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Back from Pt. Reyes. We got a really late start and only got to hike at Pierce Point Ranch, but still, mission partly accomplished! Definitely better photos than I got in Wildcat.

Pt Reyes Bobcat-2895 on Flickr

Saw lots of elk but the lighting was particularly bad then. Coolest thing was on the trail in the elk refuge a coyote crossed the trail in front of us and then proceeded for 15 minutes to try to catch a vole about 40 feet away.

Pt Reyes Coyote-3151 on Flickr

Pt Reyes Coyote chew chew-3178 on Flickr

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Back from Pt. Reyes. We got a really late start and only got to hike at Pierce Point Ranch, but still, mission partly accomplished! Definitely better photos than I got in Wildcat.

Saw lots of elk but the lighting was particularly bad then. Coolest thing was on the trail in the elk refuge a coyote crossed the trail in front of us and then proceeded for 15 minutes to try to catch a vole about 40 feet away.

"Try" to catch a vole? Nice finale there.

accipter
Sep 12, 2003

Nice! Where did you see the bobcat? I might try to get out there again this weekend during a break in the storm.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Thanks! This was from Pierce Point Road. I can't remember exactly where but it was looking towards Tomales Bay. It was well after Abbott's lagoon, a little before we hit the Elk Refuge.

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.

Dang. Awesome shots, man. That bobcat is really incredible.

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
e:

these aren't fish, but I'll get more once I'm back home

Atlatl fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Jan 15, 2019

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Atlatl posted:

e:

these aren't fish, but I'll get more once I'm back home

I tried to pick out one favorite of these but they're all rad.

Paid a visit to Aņo Nuevo State Park north of Santa Cruz yesterday for the Elephant Seals. It's the season when you need to go in with a guided walk so there's frustratingly little time for photography once you get out there, but it's still worth it. I went with my father in law who grew up in Northern California but somehow had never been. We signed up for the last slot in the day. Challenging light but probably more interesting than bright overhead beach sun.

Elephant Seal leaning in-4873 on Flickr

Elephant Seal bite-4878 on Flickr

Elephant Seal lunge-4895 on Flickr

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Holy poo poo. What a great moment.

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?

yeah rip

super good pic

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Thanks! I'm pretty sure the one on the right yelled TITTY TWISTER right before I took that photo.

e: Sharing some amazing news. One of my photos won the latest Outdoor Photographer contest!! (the fox photo).

BetterLekNextTime fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Jan 26, 2019

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
Nice! Congrats! Really strong competition there too.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Paid a visit to Aņo Nuevo State Park north of Santa Cruz yesterday for the Elephant Seals. It's the season when you need to go in with a guided walk so there's frustratingly little time for photography once you get out there, but it's still worth it. I went with my father in law who grew up in Northern California but somehow had never been. We signed up for the last slot in the day. Challenging light but probably more interesting than bright overhead beach sun.

Elephant Seal leaning in-4873 on Flickr

Elephant Seal bite-4878 on Flickr

Elephant Seal lunge-4895 on Flickr
Fantastic series of action shots. Also, huge congrats on that (well-deserved) photo contest win.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Thanks!! Yeah, there are some really stunning pics among the finalists. I have no idea how mine rose to the top.

snoozing bull elephant seal-4481 on Flickr

Bull Elephant Seal head-4612 on Flickr

Small Elephant Seal Bull side portrait-4964 on Flickr

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Thanks!! Yeah, there are some really stunning pics among the finalists. I have no idea how mine rose to the top.

snoozing bull elephant seal-4481 on Flickr

It took an embarrassingly long time to figure out what the hell went where. Also, congrats!

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Thanks! I'm pretty sure the one on the right yelled TITTY TWISTER right before I took that photo.

e: Sharing some amazing news. One of my photos won the latest Outdoor Photographer contest!! (the fox photo).

Oh, wow. Well done.

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
Cephea cephea.

not a good pic but as a bonus i got to perfect the art of yelling while taking pictures because there was an rear end load of man o wars out for whatever reason

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Hot drat! Goons getting recognition.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

torgeaux posted:

Hot drat! Goons getting recognition.

For good stuff this time!

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

President Beep posted:

For good stuff this time!

Mug shots count as portrait photography.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Congrats. Although we get red foxes this side of the Atlantic, yours seem to have nicer fluffier silkier coats; photographing one in the snow is high up on my bucket list.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Thanks everyone!

Pablo Bluth posted:

Congrats. Although we get red foxes this side of the Atlantic, yours seem to have nicer fluffier silkier coats; photographing one in the snow is high up on my bucket list.

This was north of the Arctic Circle so probably need to be fluffy. There was a family near the field station where I was working. This was the dad (who had a nice coat) and the pup had super plush fur. The mom looked a lot more haggard.

Toolik momma fox face logo repro-865 on Flickr

Toolik Fox on lumber square Reprocess logo-302 on Flickr

A few more elephant seals...

Elephant Seal Mom and Pup-5048 on Flickr

Mom elephant seal and pup-4495 on Flickr

Mom elephant seal and pup-4551 on Flickr

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

This one is gorgeous, everything worked out right.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

I saw this guy running around in a snowstorm

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

my turn in the barrel posted:

I saw this guy running around in a snowstorm

drat that's awesome.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

Thanks, the funny part is I just bought an import 70-200 2.8 canon lens and had to go to the UPS hub to pick it up as the driver showed up way early and it was signature required.

On the way back a decent snowstorm popped up so I figured I would have to wait for the next day to get any shots with it. Then I spotted a Coyote right as I pulled into my neighborhood.

Turns out cartoons are based on fact and they are actually wily as gently caress.

I made a gallery with the pics and explaining what happened rather than take over this thread with my lovely pics.

https://imgur.com/a/E0W3Sas

One thing I didn't realize is the 2.8 DOF helps immensely with cutting out snow as it was actually coming down pretty hard while I took these but you can hardly see the snow unless there is a decent backlight.

Pretty Cool Name
Jan 8, 2010

wat

That's awesome. Those coyote's seem pretty clever for sure.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

So I was driving past a forest preserve today and the local rats deer were out in force so I snapped a few photos with the longest lens I have (18-135mm EF-S IS USM) and lamented wanting more range.
IMG_6377 by charliebravo77, on Flickr

Had to drive past a big local electronics store to get home so I swung in to see what there was to play with and scored an open box (but LNIB) deal on a Tamron G2 150-600mm and welp - I went back to the forest preserve.
IMG_6734 by charliebravo77, on Flickr

IMG_6719 by charliebravo77, on Flickr

IMG_6536 by charliebravo77, on Flickr

IMG_6611 by charliebravo77, on Flickr

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I got that lens for motorsport stuff, and have been trying to catch a coyote in the snow this winter. Seen lots of both but never at the same time. :argh:

Was driving home on Saturday during blue hour and saw one, but the twitchy bastard ran off into the prairie while I was fumbling for the lens. Was probably too dark but it's the closest I've got.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

I stopped by a local forest preserve that has a penned in elk pasture right at feeding time and they were actually out in the clearing for once.

I also found this polar vortex refugee

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

my turn in the barrel posted:

I stopped by a local forest preserve that has a penned in elk pasture right at feeding time and they were actually out in the clearing for once.

I also found this polar vortex refugee

I cant believe I've lived here as long as I had before learning about the elk.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

I just wish there was an elevated platform or some easy way to shoot over the fence

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Yeah I went twice in one day the last time I was there

Apparently they have special days geared towards photographers where you can just hang out on the beach for a few hours

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Road Turtle by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
Eastern Long-necked Turtle we maybe-too-late rescued from a highway in NSW, Australia. We drove past it, then came back to check it out. I think it had been hit by a car because there was blood on the road next to it, but the leg that was sticking out withdrew in a life-like way when I started pushing it off the road with my foot. My fiancee picked it up for the picture and there was blood but no obvious breaks in the shell underneath. Hopefully it's OK.

This is also my first photo edited with RawTherapee, and I'm gonna go talk about that in the post-pro thread.

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
I know it was good intentioned but please be careful, handling turtles in the wild can get you really sick and it causes them a lot of stress.

Haven't seen a purple slipper lobster before, normally they're grungy and green.

Mad I hosed up this shot because this dude did a driveby on me while I had my strobes on low power and aimed differently for a stonefish.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Very nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!

Dang that's nice.

When you say strobes do you mean flashes or really bright continual light? Do the critters freak out after getting a bunch of light dumped at them or do they not really give a crap as long as you don't get too close?