Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

I found The Turtles RPG in a house my family was renting. I played it by making up rules that seemed right with some six siders I scavenged from yahtzee and a limited understanding of how that sort of thing was supposed to go. I graduated to making my own games based on Final Fantasy and Shining Force that manifested as line paper with a hundred abbreviations written on them like cp, gp, hp etc. Eventually I got the Introduction to Advanced Dungeons and Dragons game box set and actually learned to play the stuff from that. Prior to getting that set I was always told I was too young to play role playing games so I had to keep my gaming at least partially clandestine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Marking: "I am now watching this guy. If they give me an opening, I will use it (to hit them, throw off their aim, get some healing on their target, et cetera et cetera)" I am really sad that got lost in the general 4e assassination, it's a clever way of doing it and making defenders more sticky without forcing chokepoints.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Bruceski posted:

Marking: "I am now watching this guy. If they give me an opening, I will use it (to hit them, throw off their aim, get some healing on their target, et cetera et cetera)" I am really sad that got lost in the general 4e assassination, it's a clever way of doing it and making defenders more sticky without forcing chokepoints.

it wasn't even a 4e specific thing: Tome of Battle already had Iron Guard's Glare that imposed the attack penalty on anyone you were threatening, and then Thicket of Blades so that any movement would provoke an AOO, even a 5 foot step

It's a little heartening that both Path of War and Spheres of Might adapted the marking model for Pathfinder with the Armiger's Mark and Guardian Sphere, respectively

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
"Soldiers don't try to get hit!" is right, of course. Of course, soldiers do deliberately draw fire from time to time while trying not to get hit but something tells me a grasp of either ancient, medieval, or modern infantry is beyond them.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

GNS is half-right, they just backed S instead of the objectively correct choice of G :v:
It drove me nuts that the edition wars crowd took "Simulationism," not to mention "immersion" and "verisimilitude" and interpreted it to mean something completely different and totally bonkers. It's the kind of thing I meant when I said that people invented whole new theories of roleplaying just to own 4e online.

Andrast posted:

D&D is a strongly focused game
Eh, well, there's a great deal in 3e, 4e, and 5e that is vestigial from when the game took place entirely in the dungeon and everything was on a timer.

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

D&D's focus is its lack of focus. Because it has to be a game that pretends it can run everything from courtly intrigue to catburglar antics to swashbuckling across the high seas to dungeoncrawling to whatever else on a tactical skirmishing TTRPG system with a really simple pass/fail skill system slapped across it.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Loomer posted:

"Soldiers don't try to get hit!" is right, of course. Of course, soldiers do deliberately draw fire from time to time while trying not to get hit but something tells me a grasp of either ancient, medieval, or modern infantry is beyond them.

Soldiers also don't hang out with a thief and a wizard and fight an owlbear over a ring. Any argument that starts with "But soldiers" can be countered with "You don't play as soldiers in this game. Sometimes you kill them, though."

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

theironjef posted:

Soldiers also don't hang out with a thief and a wizard and fight an owlbear over a ring. Any argument that starts with "But soldiers" can be countered with "You don't play as soldiers in this game. Sometimes you kill them, though."

Well that depends on how much acid they've dropped, doesn't it?

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Leperflesh posted:

My first was d&d, but in high school I brought a guy in to play rifts as his first, and another guy joined us for shadow run as his first, and two other guys played paranoia as their first. Actually now I think about it I'm pretty sure a guy I knew back in England had only ever played warhammer fantasy RPG.

Yeah, I got in on D&D first but the high school club had several WFRPG campaigns and for the 20 or so kids there WFRPG would've been the first game they saw. Unsurprisingly many already played warhammer, which made it an even easier jump-on point.

Halloween Jack posted:

The standard retort to this is "pre-4e combat is abstract, but not dissociated." But that's wrong for exactly the reason you stated; plus, pre-4e D&D is full of "3/day" abilities that are never explained in-setting. (For that matter, I don't think Vancian casting is ever even explained.)

I think I first learned about why wizards forget spells some time after I stopped playing D&D.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
I wonder if marking got equal complaints from UK folks? It’s a core concept in soccer and every UK schoolboy plays soccer. Maybe why I’ve never known a player not to “get” it.

The first game I played was ADnD. The first game I ran was a weirdo though - Over The Edge. Because I liked the card game. I sucked at it.

hyphz fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Jan 27, 2019

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Everything about marking is implicit in the old idea that you park your fighters in front of the squishy magic guy to keep them from getting splatted, everything that is except for the actual mechanics to keep enemies from bypassing them. Disliking the mark feels like another argument from the "DM genocide" crowd. "Oh my god I can't even attack who I want anymore without being penalized. Everything is getting so PC(Player Character) these days."

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

hyphz posted:

I wonder if marking got equal complaints from UK folks? It’s a core concept in soccer and every UK schoolboy plays soccer. Maybe why I’ve never known a player not to “get” it.

The first game I played was ADnD. The first game I ran was a weirdo though - Over The Edge. Because I liked the card game. I sucked at it.

I'm murican and I got it instantly. It's not the same term but our sports have a similar concept and it's super basic.

I'm firmly in the *hates 4th intensely* camp but marking wasn't the issue. My issue with the game was that all the classes had functionally the same mechanics and it gutted/discounted non-combat abilities.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Why would you want a huge section of the book dedicated to stuff that only a fraction of the classes get to touch? It's terrible design.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Eifert Posting posted:

I'm murican and I got it instantly. It's not the same term but our sports have a similar concept and it's super basic.

I'm firmly in the *hates 4th intensely* camp but marking wasn't the issue. My issue with the game was that all the classes had functionally the same mechanics and it gutted/discounted non-combat abilities.

cool you're still wrong

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Gonna guess a lot of folks first game is gonna be Monster of the Week given the way Adventure Zone is apparently driving sales of it for Evil Hat.

But my first RPG was Runequest, and I rolled up a duck named Donald because that's what you do when you're five and have the option to play a talking duck.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Eifert Posting posted:

Bad content

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

Eifert Posting posted:

I never got this one, either. Except for format, how do classes have the same mechanics? Like, I've never heard someone complain that all martials in 3.x are terribly samey because they are presented in the same terms mechanically. But 4E, boy howdy, "all classes are the same because they're presented uniformly" is one of the go-to arguments.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Darwinism posted:

I never got this one, either. Except for format, how do classes have the same mechanics? Like, I've never heard someone complain that all martials in 3.x are terribly samey because they are presented in the same terms mechanically. But 4E, boy howdy, "all classes are the same because they're presented uniformly" is one of the go-to arguments.

Well you see some people have difficulty understanding that just because things are presented in similar ways, they are not the same thing.

At the end of the day, it's because Wizards don't have spells and rituals apparently don't exist.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
And neither do utility powers apparently.

A lot of it comes down to people not understanding even decent game and layout design, and finding it unfamiliar and scary.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

I hate that the counterrevolutionaries won the battle over D&D, but at least the indy scene is about as mainstream and thriving as it has ever been. I do wish 4e had been as open as 3e had been though, I would be vary happy to see a 4e pathfinder.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
The reason why there isn't a 4e Pathfinder is because it would be a ton of work and who knows how popular it would even be.

Also, 13th Age already exists.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

That's why I wish it were open like 3e, The OGL SRD did a lot of work for people.

13th Age is good, but it's combat isn't a grid based battle game.

Also, I hear a lot of talk about how martials are boring in 13th age, and martials are not boring in 4e.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Jan 27, 2019

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
If you want to play 4e that hasn't changed from 4e why not just play 4e. The OGL just helped people make carbon copies of 3e.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

I will.

It would be nice to have a version that incorporates errata and learned lessons though. The game is kind of a mess in current form, and character creation can be a hassle for a number of reasons including getting the builder working, sorting through the feat glut, and incorporating some of the soft fixes for the math that should have been hard fixes.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Sampatrick posted:

If you want to play 4e that hasn't changed from 4e why not just play 4e. The OGL just helped people make carbon copies of 3e.

I want 4e that doesn't have the bloat or a billion fiddly bonuses that makes combat take forever. I like 13th age just fine but it really doesn't do any of the things I like 4e for.

(also the martials in 13th age are indeed really lame)

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben

unseenlibrarian posted:

Gonna guess a lot of folks first game is gonna be Monster of the Week given the way Adventure Zone is apparently driving sales of it for Evil Hat.

MotW is tricky though, because the pacing is totally under the GMs control. It might be much more vulnerable to the Mercer effect that 5e.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

remusclaw posted:

I hate that the counterrevolutionaries won the battle over D&D, but at least the indy scene is about as mainstream and thriving as it has ever been. I do wish 4e had been as open as 3e had been though, I would be vary happy to see a 4e pathfinder.

4e Pathfinder is Pathfinder 2e. The playtest really feels like 4e.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Sampatrick posted:

At the end of the day, it's because Wizards don't have spells and rituals apparently don't exist.
A good chunk of noncombat abilities, and by abilities I mean "spells", were removed or made much less effective, but they were mostly ones that let you just completely bypass poo poo or make the rogue useless.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Arivia posted:

4e Pathfinder is Pathfinder 2e. The playtest really feels like 4e.

I have been half rear end'ed following it, and I have seen people make comments that it feels like a mix between 3rd, 4th, and 5th, but very few people have been very positive toward it. I will also say, I don't really like open playtests of RPG's like that. It seems to result in bland compromise games.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Haystack posted:

Spellbound Kingdoms is explicitly mystified as to how a neophite came to be reading the book in the first place, and cheerfully recommends that they google roleplaying.

He's not wrong though! The response and handling of it in the intro is really bad, and is liable to put off any novice RPers. But it would be really weird for that to be anyone's first exposure. Especially as it was mostly (entirely?) online with its Kickstarter and dtRPG, so you'd have to be blindly ordering stuff online without looking at what it is.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben

remusclaw posted:

I have been half rear end'ed following it, and I have seen people make comments that it feels like a mix between 3rd, 4th, and 5th, but very few people have been very positive toward it. I will also say, I don't really like open playtests of RPG's like that. It seems to result in bland compromise games.

There’s a theory I can believe that the Pathfinder 2e Playtest was a deliberate non-compromise / sacred barbecue just to test all the unusual mechanics they were considering, at once.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
Not enthusiastically explaining roleplaying in the intro of an rpg is a really weird design choice. Sure, the original purchaser might tend to be experienced with games, but there's no sure bet that anyone who comes into contact with the book after that will be.

Plus it's half a page of text to do, which is an exceptionally minimal investment of effort.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

hyphz posted:

There’s a theory I can believe that the Pathfinder 2e Playtest was a deliberate non-compromise / sacred barbecue just to test all the unusual mechanics they were considering, at once.

That’s not a theory. Paizo said as much, multiple times. That’s also why they were willing to do big, sweeping changes to Resonance and so on.

Ewen Cluney
May 8, 2012

Ask me about
Japanese elfgames!

remusclaw posted:

That's why I wish it were open like 3e, The OGL SRD did a lot of work for people.

13th Age is good, but it's combat isn't a grid based battle game.

Also, I hear a lot of talk about how martials are boring in 13th age, and martials are not boring in 4e.
I played the 13th Age Commander class in a short campaign and it was legit a lot of fun, though it worked a bit differently from the 4e warlord, emphasizing doing stuff to build up Command Points to spend on buffing allies. Of course, the Commander was in a supplement rather than the core book. On the other when we tried out the 13th Age playtest packet I picked the paladin, which is the game's version of an "I hit it with my sword" fighter, and holy crap there are very few characters I've ever found more boring to play. It seems to be a common theme in 13th Age that the designers are capable of interesting, good game design but just kinda choose not to sometimes. They did at least listen to playtesters and undid their dumb idea to give fighter types less points for skills/backgrounds because tradition.

I definitely do want a game that builds on what I liked about 4e while fixing some issues (which Essentials emphatically failed to do, since e.g. instead of fixing the issues with rituals it pretended they didn't exist), but OTOH I'd need something that plays significantly faster, since I just don't have the ability to have regular 6+ hour game sessions anymore.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Halloween Jack posted:

Why would you want a huge section of the book dedicated to stuff that only a fraction of the classes get to touch? It's terrible design.

because you play one of those classes, and so does anyone else who understands the system. it's like MvC2, the fact that there are 56 playable characters and like 10 of them (generously) actually matter in high-level play sucks for the designers (who wasted their time) and for newcomers (who don't know that 90% of their favorites will become useless as they improve) but as long as the top tier has interesting match-ups and variety internally none of that actually prevents it from being a good game, just one that wasn't made as time- or effort-efficiently as possible

whether 3.5 actually achieves the last part is another story, of course, but i maintain that 3.5 is a game about being a wizard and hand-picking a bespoke list of powers based primarily on their conceptual effect on the game world, rather than or at least before their tactical utility.

i love and even strongly prefer 4E, but it doesn't do that. it doesn't even try. powers are deliberately written so vaguely that reskinning is trivially easily, which is good, but serves a completely different purpose. a handful of rituals cross into that design space but the vast majority of them are just mechanics for dealing with the aftermath of combat or the transition in or out of it. and ultimately "guys, magic mouth and tenser's disc are still there that's what you wanted right no wait come back" rings pretty hollow.

"It's not true that 4E doesn't have utility spells! Look at this list that's 1/10th of the size, has recurring gold costs in a game where gold is even more strictly rationed out by level and basically serves as a second form of XP, and the whole section kind of looks like an afterthought"

From a designer's standpoint, of course there's no point in making a million weird rituals that only awkwardly relate to the main focus of the game (tactical combat) and which would probably require constant interpretation and on-the-spot rulings if they did interact with combat. But this misses a more fundamental split in how players engage with the game and what they want from it. (I'm deliberately not saying "what the game was designed to do" because lol)

this is also why i am not joking when I say that the best version of D&D 3.5 is Mage: The Awakening :v:

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

remusclaw posted:

I found The Turtles RPG in a house my family was renting. I played it by making up rules that seemed right with some six siders I scavenged from yahtzee and a limited understanding of how that sort of thing was supposed to go. I graduated to making my own games based on Final Fantasy and Shining Force that manifested as line paper with a hundred abbreviations written on them like cp, gp, hp etc.

My first RPG was homegrown based off of The Legend of Zelda and reflavored completely based off of what stuffed animals and blocks I had available. Once we were allowed to use the phone we ended up doing a lot more theater of the mind games.

The argument that TTRPGs shouldn't be like video games will never land with me. Video games are the form of games that are optimized for computers. TTRPGs are the form of games that are optimized for talking to a friend.

e: Now that I think of it none of my early games featured character generation, because that wasn't a thing in video games at the time.

DalaranJ fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jan 27, 2019

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Ewen Cluney posted:

OTOH I'd need something that plays significantly faster, since I just don't have the ability to have regular 6+ hour game sessions anymore.

That was what damned 4E for me. It was a perfectly serviceable RPG and I welcomed innovation in D&D, but I never felt like we got very much done relative to other RPGs, in a three or four hour session.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

One of the big things 4e got wrong by my reckoning was that it didn't throw away the idea that an adventure should be made up of a bunch of little encounters. Encounters take a lot of time in that game and because of that, they should all be meaningful. 4 fights per full rest sounds alright in the abstract, but in play those 4 fights might take four sessions to get through, and most of them are going to be trash fights. Shining Force was my favorite video game when I was a kid, and my ideal 4th edition steals from that I think, fights should be big, and they should matter, and they should only happen when it is appropriate, rather than because there has to be a fight every couple rooms or so.

DalaranJ posted:

e: Now that I think of it none of my early games featured character generation, because that wasn't a thing in video games at the time.

I think I had the same thing going on in my head to a degree. The Ninja Turtles game had way too much space put aside for making lame original characters when I thought it should have been full of more Turtles Characters, like Bebop and Rocksteady, and I know that they didn't exist when the game came out but they did by the time I got a hold of it, so I wanted them moire than I wanted some Terror Bears or whatever

I have a great fondness for Palladiums equipment and weapons pages though. Full of Kasuri-Gama, egg shell smoke bombs and AK-47s as it is.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jan 27, 2019

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
Throwing away little encounters would make 4e a worse game imo. Boss fights lose their importance if every fight is a boss fight and the whole fighting a pack of kobolds or w/e is kinda integral to the game D&D.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

It would make it a different game for sure. But downplaying traps and dungeon delving and such already did that. I don't like meaningless violence, I want it to be consequential and important if it's going to take up time and effort. I am aware that it means that classic D&D is not necessarily what I want out of a game any more.