Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Slippery posted:

I still don't see the wisdom in undertaking an action that even if 'successful' results in you having your arms wrapped around a pissed-off hellbeast

Yeah it seems like this definition of success only holds up until the first follow-up question.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Gators/crocs haven't evolved in something like 65 million years.

Crocodilians that look and act like modern crocs have been around for eighty million years.

The Chicxulub impact killed the non‐avian dinosaurs fifteen million years into that and crocodiles did not care.

Brute Hole Force
Dec 25, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Only the sharks cared less, and the proto-rodents started to not give a gently caress.

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005

Platystemon posted:

Crocodilians that look and act like modern crocs have been around for eighty million years.

The Chicxulub impact killed the non‐avian dinosaurs fifteen million years into that and crocodiles did not care.

Tony Snark posted:

Only the sharks cared less, and the proto-rodents started to not give a gently caress.
Schadenfreude Thread: Crocodiles and sharks do not give a gently caress

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Sharks evolved before trees.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

Platystemon posted:

This is loving me up

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

SomeJazzyRat posted:

Why did they film this scenario? Beats me.

Why wouldn't they? I mean you get an opportunity to film something that ridiculous and you take it.

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001

muscles like this! posted:

That's Ace Rimmer.

What a guy!

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Queen Combat posted:

This is loving me up

There was a period of around 60 million years where there was no bacteria/fungus/bugs/etc that could decompose cellulose. So when all the massive early trees died, they'd just lie around doing jack poo poo, timber piling higher and higher for millennia as it slowly compacted into coal or fossilized.

Also at the same time there was way more oxygen in the Earth's atmosphere, something like 35% versus today's 20-something%. So these massive miles-deep swaths of timber would likely catch on fire regularly too.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Queen Combat posted:

This is loving me up

Sharks are so powerful that even plant life attempted to escape onto land.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

C.M. Kruger posted:

There was a period of around 60 million years where there was no bacteria/fungus/bugs/etc that could decompose cellulose. So when all the massive early trees died, they'd just lie around doing jack poo poo, timber piling higher and higher for millennia as it slowly compacted into coal or fossilized.

Also at the same time there was way more oxygen in the Earth's atmosphere, something like 35% versus today's 20-something%. So these massive miles-deep swaths of timber would likely catch on fire regularly too.

There's no likely about it. They caught fire regularly and continent-wide forest fires burned for multiple seasonal cycles, with evidence being found in charcoal horizons in carboniferous coal measures in Pennsylvania and Victoria, Australia.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Once upon a time, our planet was :rock: incarnate

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Platystemon posted:

You would have thought the opposite, given how smoothness seems more evolutionamary advanced and all that.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Weatherman posted:

You would have thought the opposite, given how smoothness seems more evolutionamary advanced and all that.

I know right, trees are as rough as is their bark, but sharks, somehow they're as smooth as silk,

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dinosaurs evolved before grass :science:

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
a cop got shot and died playing Russian roulette with other cops but this isn't the thread to post it anymore so have this:

https://m.jpost.com/Diaspora/Jewish-family-kicked-off-plane-after-body-odor-complaints-578784/amp

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

How bad would you have to smell to get kicked off a plane??

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

ilmucche posted:

How bad would you have to smell to get kicked off a plane??

You'd probably qualify.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
He was a stinky boi, she said smell ya later boi.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The trick is to actually grab it and hang on like crazy. Gently tapping it on the neck to let it know you're standing in handy chomping distance (as this gentleman chose to do) is not recommended.

Slippery posted:

I still don't see the wisdom in undertaking an action that even if 'successful' results in you having your arms wrapped around a pissed-off hellbeast

I live in Australia so my options are "Grabbing a pissed-off hellbeast" or "Being grabbed by a pissed-offhellbeast"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPVLyB0Yc6I

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Slippery posted:

So you’re off the dating apps then?

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Platystemon posted:

Trees have evolved rough exteriors so they can easily be told apart from their smoother cousin, the shark.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
In 2015 the NBA championship team the Golden State Warriors got to visit Barack Obama in the White House, which is something of a tradition. They won again in 2017 but decided not to visit the White House to hang out with Trump, saying they wouldn't have gone even if Trump had invited them. (Trump subsequently withdrew any invitation which may or may not have existed.) Instead when they visited DC they took a field trip to the National Museum of African American History and Culture.

The Warriors won again in 2018 and when they visited DC a few days ago they decided to not only boycott Trump yet again but also to to go hang out with Obama instead. :v:

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Yesss, that's the stuff. I swear I can already hear that hateful little muppet pitching a fit about it. :allears:

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
https://twitter.com/PicturesFoIder/status/1088871523673407489

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Randaconda posted:

Dinosaurs evolved before grass :science:

Hell, birds evolved from dinosaurs before grass came along. Grass is a relative newcomer on the scene, 125-130 million years ago.

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Trig Discipline posted:

So you’re off the dating apps then?

lol

but, yeah I could never figure out the step after 'swipe right and ask their forums name'

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

C.M. Kruger posted:

Oh yeah, that’s how the mesas out west formed, right?

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

chitoryu12 posted:

Oh yeah, that’s how the mesas out west formed, right?

No, those came from your mom’s enormous butte.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
https://twitter.com/betmybookie/status/1089366651827478528

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
:tviv:

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

:gowron:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

SomeJazzyRat posted:

No, Nazi is shooting at Ace Rimmer. Nazi stole the Princess of Undetermined European Country, and it was up to Ace Rimmer to bring her back (and win her over, if you know what I mean). While on a plane, cornered by the Nazi, he was attacked with a crocodile and left to die as the Nazi parachuted to safety. Instead, Ace Rimmer wrestled the Crocodile and rode on it's back towards the Nazi, leading to the depicted Nazi. It's all featured here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXYfnWRp1Q0

Now if your question is: Why? Because this is the adolescent fantasy of a character from BBC's Sci-Fi comedy Red Dwarf. Why did they film this scenario? Beats me.

Ace Rimmer's origin story qualifies as schadenfreude, too. He's a parallel universe version of Arnold Rimmer, an arrogant, cowardly and unpopular man who constantly blames others for his failures and can't even succeed by cheating. The only difference between Ace and Arnold came when they were threatened with being held back a year at school. The twist is that Ace became confident, heroic and well-liked because he was held back - the experience made him realise that he wasn't entitled to success.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

Even out the other side by doing some welding.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Oh poo poo I just noticed that he also lost a headphone as well as half his beard. :v:

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Oh poo poo I just noticed that he also lost a headphone as well as half his beard. :v:

If he had the music turned up loud enough to hear over an angle grinder then it's not going to matter for very long that he doesn't use proper ear protection.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

EKDS5k posted:

If he had the music turned up loud enough to hear over an angle grinder then it's not going to matter for very long that he doesn't use proper ear protection.

If he's anything like my cousin he wears earbuds under his ear protection

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Jedit posted:

Ace Rimmer's origin story qualifies as schadenfreude, too. He's a parallel universe version of Arnold Rimmer, an arrogant, cowardly and unpopular man who constantly blames others for his failures and can't even succeed by cheating. The only difference between Ace and Arnold came when they were threatened with being held back a year at school. The twist is that Ace became confident, heroic and well-liked because he was held back - the experience made him realise that he wasn't entitled to success.

Smoke him a kipper, he'll be back for breakfast.