Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Arivia posted:

I think I’m forgetting at least one more notable community member.

Coraline aka Corbine aka Chu (EDGE source port) and Alexa aka The Corax aka YukiRaven (Shadows of the Nightmare Realm, Umbra of Fate, etc.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Basically, there's probably more prominent trans modders/coders/etc. in the community than cis ones, which makes dedicating a trans-ally map pack (that technically hasn't even had any work done on it yet, so really more of a theoretical trans-ally map pack) to a middle-aged straight guy a fairly puzzling decision to say the least.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

The Kins posted:

Basically, there's probably more prominent trans modders/coders/etc. in the community than cis ones

hell yeah, trans pride doom-wide

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
Why, why, WHY did I wait so long to play DUSK eps 2 & 3??? I’m just blown away, what an incredibly fun and satisfying game. I wish more shooters would display such imagination in their level designs.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Power Walrus posted:

Why, why, WHY did I wait so long to play DUSK eps 2 & 3??? I’m just blown away, what an incredibly fun and satisfying game. I wish more shooters would display such imagination in their level designs.

:agreed:

Escher Labs in particular is a masterclass in imaginative level design

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Had a dream that Valve released a trailer for a new Half Life game last night. It looked pretty cool. :sigh:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Here's a couple of things that got released recently that I keep meaning to link:

A fun new "art map" by the creator of "WHAT THE... CREEPY BONE?"...
https://twitter.com/Toooooasty/status/1088856033366237185

...and sixteen Id1-style speedmaps.
https://twitter.com/VoiceOvNephilim/status/1087259761681227776

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Mordja posted:

Had a dream that Valve released a trailer for a new Half Life game last night. It looked pretty cool. :sigh:

Before the trailer aired, they put on an airshow.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

The Kins posted:

Basically, there's probably more prominent trans modders/coders/etc. in the community than cis ones, which makes dedicating a trans-ally map pack (that technically hasn't even had any work done on it yet, so really more of a theoretical trans-ally map pack) to a middle-aged straight guy a fairly puzzling decision to say the least.

The fact that there's a trans-ally map pack dedicated to John Romero shouldn't be puzzling, in the sense of inexplicable, in the least. He's an extremely prominent (partly infamous, but increasingly rehabilitated) individual in the mind of the community, who just spoke out as a trans ally in a significant (by community standards) occasion. That's a perfectly sensible event to precipitate some sort of community thank-you project.

Now, there not having previously been some sort of trans-pride project commemorating the Doom community's apparent debt to trans modders? That's puzzling, in hindsight.

Unfortunately, I suspect at least part of the reason is because many people just weren't aware of that debt until just now. I'm not the beating heart of the Doom community, but I browse Doomworld looking for news of projects and maps fairly consistently, and I think before now if you'd asked me to name a trans/nb person in the Doom community, the only one I'd have been able to come up with was someone whom I first really became aware of when she died (Kate Fox). As I said, I wasn't tuned in to zDoom development for quite some time now, having moved on entirely to gzdoom for my personal gameplay, so while I obviously knew who Randi/Marisa Heit was, I hadn't seen the name change nor known the context behind it. And I hadn't the faintest idea about Essel's trans status either until just now.

Maybe now that the ice is broken there can also be some sort of general trans/nb/LGBTQ+/ally community project, that would be super cool.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I move for a slaughtermap megawad where every enemy has its head replaced with graham linehan, Jordan Peterson, and Jesse singal's; the skybox for every map is the trans flag; and you always have the pink bfg

And switchable doomperson status bar face

Call it The TERF Wars

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The douchey flashy rich guy Romero who sank Ion Storm with his Hubris is very much in the past nowadays. He's still a bit of a doofus, but he's doing good stuff.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Casimir Radon posted:

The douchey flashy rich guy Romero who sank Ion Storm with his Hubris is very much in the past nowadays. He's still a bit of a doofus, but he's doing good stuff.

Like I'd be excited if the Ion Maiden or other team announced John would be designing maps or something like that, but I can't really imagine him being a lead designer and that getting me interested.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I’m surprised it wasn’t more well known, essel’s name was updated on the wiki a few years ago. I thought the lack of commentary was simply because while she is open about who she is, she and others didn’t want to draw attention to their personal lives and open themselves up to abuse from the lovely parts of the community. They contribute to the community and keep up the tradition of naming themselves that has gone back to the first days of doom modding, but that doesn’t mean people have the right to comment on changes.

It helps that doomworld is a decent forum run by decent people. I wandered into that forum 40oz ended up on and Christ it’s bad.

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Casimir Radon posted:

I wonder if there was ever an alternative reality where Daikatana was actually a really good game.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Jordan7hm posted:

I’m surprised it wasn’t more well known, essel’s name was updated on the wiki a few years ago. I thought the lack of commentary was simply because while she is open about who she is, she and others didn’t want to draw attention to their personal lives and open themselves up to abuse from the lovely parts of the community. They contribute to the community and keep up the tradition of naming themselves that has gone back to the first days of doom modding, but that doesn’t mean people have the right to comment on changes.

It helps that doomworld is a decent forum run by decent people. I wandered into that forum 40oz ended up on and Christ it’s bad.

Tbh on my part it was just that i did not care at all enough to pay attention to creators names when downloading a wad off /idgames or updating my copy of gzdoom, nor did i know doomwiki even existed until last year, and i don't watch it closely enough to notice that someone's name gets changed

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I wonder if there was ever an alternative reality where Daikatana was actually a really good game.

https://twitter.com/DUSKdev/status/1087086191013433346

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Will that patch remove my memories of trying to play Daikatana while sick with the flu, and now whenever I try to play Daikatana, I spontaneously generate flu-like symptoms????

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
No you should see a therapist about that

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

I had a great time with Daikatana when it came out, played it through 3 or 4 times. The greece and dark ages levels were amazing, and the first and last chapters had some good stuff too. Last time I tried it was around 2007 or so and it was a mess though, none of the scripts ran at the right speed and it seemed generally broken. Does the fan patch fix that stuff?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

site posted:

No you should see a therapist about that

They just always recommend immersion therapy.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Daikatana just suffers from one of the worst openings to decent game. They basically started out their game with sewer/swamp maps, which is a bold choice. The maps have boring colors, require you to precision shoot flying enemies, and the weapons are either bad or uninteresting. The rest of the game hovers between acceptable and pretty good and gets better as you chop out the AI companion issues.. I just don't blame anyone for losing interest during the first episode.

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

Look, just sign the stupid petition. I've got stuff to do.

GUI posted:

Remember to download the unofficial patch that fixes enemies being able to see you through tents.

Which one was that? I remember it being a problem that I had to reset a checkpoint like five times over, but none of the "essential improvements" on its PCGamingWiki article make mention of fixing that.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
FCAM should do it.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I feel personally hurt & offended that my question was never answered.

Mordja posted:

So is Half Life to blame for the decline of the rocket launcher? From a mainstay FPS weapon that you've got a lot of ammo for into a slow-firing rarity you horde to use against particularly tough enemies or scripted encounters?

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Jordan7hm posted:

At the risk of a further detail and possibly learning things I can't unlearn, what was the whole business with 40oz? I thought they were a pretty core community member and making some good stuff and then something happened?

But yeah, I glanced at that splinter forum when one of their map packs drew my attention to it, and while I didn't see anything explicitly chud-ish or alt-right-ish or anything, the fact that they seemed to be a group that had been shown the door from Doomworld set off alarm bells in my head. Since, as you say, Doomworld is a pretty decent forum on the whole, and if anyone's locking horns with Linguica et al. over things like conduct or social viewpoints, it's generally not a good bellwether for who they are as a person.

Vitreous Rumor
Oct 21, 2004

Mordja posted:

I feel personally hurt & offended that my question was never answered.

It always felt to me like the era of Modern Shooters started as more of a response to Counterstrike than Half-Life itself.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I sorta figured it was more Halo's fault, given the rocket launcher got some further life beyond Half-Life via Quake 3 Arena and Unreal Tournament, at the very least. Then Halo came and had to balance such a weapon so that it wasn't overpowered compared to every other gun (so it'd fit in nicely with the whole can-only-hold-two-weapons thing), and making it hella powerful but sparse ammo was their solution.

That said, even then, it's less Halo's fault and more the fault of everyone trying to ape Halo's every innovation without analyzing too closely as to why those decisions were made.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i dont remember there being a major shortage of rocket ammo in half life, so yeah halo and/or the military shooters starting with cod are more likely the culprits imo

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Shadow Hog posted:

I sorta figured it was more Halo's fault, given the rocket launcher got some further life beyond Half-Life via Quake 3 Arena and Unreal Tournament, at the very least. Then Halo came and had to balance such a weapon so that it wasn't overpowered compared to every other gun (so it'd fit in nicely with the whole can-only-hold-two-weapons thing), and making it hella powerful but sparse ammo was their solution.

That said, even then, it's less Halo's fault and more the fault of everyone trying to ape Halo's every innovation without analyzing too closely as to why those decisions were made.

I was actually about to argue it isnt halo's fault. They have a rocket launcher, its good, and you love having it and eveey game in the series has had multiple variations of it. Id argue what killed the rocket launcher as a standard weapon is the movement away from having high jumping height or even a jump at all. When you cant reliably use the weapons splash aoe its not very satisfying to watch the missile zoom off into the ether doing nothing while you get shot.

Add in that the trend in games for FPS also became semi-realisitic war games and in war we dont strap soldiers with rocket launchers unless there is a specific need so they got the axe from that end too.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Shadow Hog posted:

It's funny that you mention needing to balance a rocket launcher relative to any other weapon as being something that started in Halo, because in my mind it started around Quake 2. Like, I remember reading the Quakeworld mailbags around the time Quake 2 had been out for a little while, and people actually complaining (or responding to people complaining) about the fact that the rocket launcher was just one roleplayer in an arsenal rather than being the king as it had been in Quake 1.

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg
Digital Foundry posted a video on Quake 2 path tracing. They mention at 11 minutes in that it sometimes looks like pre-rendered CGI from the 90s and now I really want a game based on that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRCAfdBMe2Y

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
That video looks great, shame I can't justify buying a new graphics card for several years :(

In modding news, someone is trying to put Zelda into Doom, which... is maybe susceptible to a C&D, but still not a bad effort by the look of it.

https://www.moddb.com/mods/zelda-tc

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
they should probably rename it something other than literally zelda to help it fly under the radar but regardless im sadly nostalgic enough to give this a whirl

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
The Legend of Zaldar

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

HolyKrap posted:

Digital Foundry posted a video on Quake 2 path tracing. They mention at 11 minutes in that it sometimes looks like pre-rendered CGI from the 90s and now I really want a game based on that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRCAfdBMe2Y

thanks for the video

that whole thing with ray tracing part where the ship flies over the arena casting a shadow because it's blocking the sky source is awesome to see

its not programmed into the game to make that shadow as a special event but its a side benefit of using ray tracing

now the prob of the shadow being very soft and the whole problem of killing a light ray after one bounce is a problem.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Can someone explain the whole Quake 2 ray tracing thing to someone who knows very little about graphics rendering? How does it differ from the original engine?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Mak0rz posted:

Can someone explain the whole Quake 2 ray tracing thing to someone who knows very little about graphics rendering? How does it differ from the original engine?

Reductively, it's a lighting thing. This video's got a side-by-side.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YYJwwSrwtg

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth

Mak0rz posted:

How does it differ from the original engine?

you need a $1500 gpu to use it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Barudak posted:

I was actually about to argue it isnt halo's fault. They have a rocket launcher, its good, and you love having it and eveey game in the series has had multiple variations of it. Id argue what killed the rocket launcher as a standard weapon is the movement away from having high jumping height or even a jump at all. When you cant reliably use the weapons splash aoe its not very satisfying to watch the missile zoom off into the ether doing nothing while you get shot.

Add in that the trend in games for FPS also became semi-realisitic war games and in war we dont strap soldiers with rocket launchers unless there is a specific need so they got the axe from that end too.

Was gonna say a similar thing. Once FPS games had to be on consoles, too, they didn't just run into performance hurdles, they ran into design hurtles. The easy way of getting around the limits of a controller in an FPS is to do stuff like auto-aim, but a ton of games took the route of "Make tight corridors and large enemies." But then a weapon like Doom's rocket launcher would be overpowered. So, you either nerf it until you feel like it still plays well for the game, or you make it a specialty "delete enemies" weapon with a handful of backup ammo. There are better choices, but that's what we ended up with a lot of the time.

Also replayed Halo 1/2/3 a year ago, and I'm surprised by how much fun I still find them. I get why certain people ragged on them, but I think they're a good compromise for a console shooter. I have a really fond memory of system linking two xboxes with a hundred foot LAN cable on our dorm floor to do Legendary co-op and running into the Scarabs for the first time in 3. Its weird camera view with the high ceiling and low reticle still drives me a little nuts, though.