Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I put together an izzet drakes list today and it was like 3 cards off of that one (and mostly because I'm being edgy and playing 1 of maximize velocity and 1 of sonic assault). Kind of builds itself... the Pteramanders make it feel so much better to play.

The Jund midrange list is neat, it's really just a big red list with angrath and status.

The phoenix list cutting crackling drake entirely is really interesting tho. Makes a lot of sense honestly.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Jan 27, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

WotC has decided to cut all text coverage of GPs except for final results on their website because gently caress you, that's why. If you want to stalk your friends, you now have to use the CFBevents website.

https://twitter.com/magicprotour/status/1089361097860120576

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
They didn't want to pay someone to tweet for a couple days?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Katana Gomai posted:

WotC has decided to cut all text coverage of GPs except for final results on their website because gently caress you, that's why.

https://twitter.com/magicprotour/status/1089361097860120576

Always easier said than done, but this is the sort of thing that I assumed was or could be automated.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Kinda beginning to wonder whether the sweet MPL deals last longer than a year (as a supported program).

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Rinkles posted:

Always easier said than done, but this is the sort of thing that I assumed was or could be automated.

Well CFBevents has pairings online already (pairings.channelfireball.com), but that website doesn't show standings and is basically impossible to find unless you know it exists because you've played at an event before. The text coverage adds a few choice words after round 9 and apart from that just posts pairings and standings to the website so it could mostly be done via script. My guess is they just slashed the budget overall, hence the lack of video coverage. During GP Prague they also showed the next planned streams and I think there was only like, two, with Strasbourg in February being the next one. It's ridiculous and almost seems like they're trying to push CFB out of the picture?!

Furthermore: goddrat!
https://twitter.com/ReidDuke/status/1089295657481981952

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Oh my god

https://twitter.com/BasicMountain/status/1089393320680394754

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

drat, how badly did the Toys-R-Us closure hurt Hasbro that WotC is feeling this much of a pinch?

also daily reminder that Toys-R-Us had 40% of the toy sales market in the US and only failed because it was deliberately laden with debt by companies like Bain Capital, whose main executives made tons of money and inexplicably haven't been crucified outside of every abandoned Toys-R-Us store as a warning to the rest of the capitalists who gently caress up the economy for personal profit

e: jesus PSully would have been incensed if he didn't have the good sense to avoid working for WotC

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

official MTG valentine cards (not that kind of card [though if these aren't printed on the usual card stock they're missing out {though I guess most people wouldn't want a bent card}]):

that's a good Garruk, when is Garruk coming back

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Hellsau posted:

drat, how badly did the Toys-R-Us closure hurt Hasbro that WotC is feeling this much of a pinch?

also daily reminder that Toys-R-Us had 40% of the toy sales market in the US and only failed because it was deliberately laden with debt by companies like Bain Capital, whose main executives made tons of money and inexplicably haven't been crucified outside of every abandoned Toys-R-Us store as a warning to the rest of the capitalists who gently caress up the economy for personal profit

More importantly, they made my daughter cry when we drove past one and had to explain that we couldn't go in because they closed and wouldn't ever open again.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

suicidesteve posted:

More importantly, they made my daughter cry when we drove past one and had to explain that we couldn't go in because they closed and wouldn't ever open again.

those monsters

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Hellsau posted:

Laden with the debt they took on to buy it. It's really, really hosed up. Toys-R-Us was still profitable outside of needing to pay off the debt that was used to buy it.

Eat the rich.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Aren't leveraged buyouts great? You can "buy" a company without putting in any money or taking on any risk of your own, paying out the existing owners with borrowed money (that the company you "bought" owes, not you!), then you have free rein to loot as much as you can before the lenders decide that they might not get their money back and force it into bankruptcy.

It's free money with no downside, as long as you're a soulless husk who's only purpose is the accumulation of wealth. Just jump already you fucks.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

who the hell lends out the money tho?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Kild posted:

someone who made a lot of money in kickbacks

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Kild posted:

As long as you can show a bank / lender that the business will soldier on making payments on its debt so they can get their loan + interest back, who wouldn't? Nobody with that level of wealth cares about the company remaining viable or the people who work for it.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
If you read the thread, you'll find they didn't even announce anything officially. It was just a reply to someone:
https://twitter.com/brightbill/status/1089378341298323456?s=09

Kjermzs
Sep 15, 2007

LifeLynx posted:

If you read the thread, you'll find they didn't even announce anything officially. It was just a reply to someone:

Haha, what in the gently caress.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

LifeLynx posted:

So right now we have no official replacements for gps and pptqs. I will laugh when there is no replacement. I feel like wotc is just continuing to phase out paper for reasons that aren’t clear.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

The change is policy is bad enough but the way they're putting the information out is just insulting, and I'm don't even that much attention to competitive events these days. How is any of this supposed to engender confidence in the player base?

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Sickening posted:

So right now we have no official replacements for gps and pptqs. I will laugh when there is no replacement. I feel like wotc is just continuing to phase out paper for reasons that aren’t clear.

Don’t worry. Blake said it’s “coming soon” and that he has already started writing the article!

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Guys im pretty sure this has nothing to do with twitch coverage and they're talking about the text coverage on their website.

Of course the fact that it is at all unclear what they're talking about is a massive snafu all on its own. Like I even think its just about text coverage but its so shoddily worded and lacking in context that Im not entirely confident in that assessment.

I get why everyone is freaking out but I also dont see anything in there about live coverage outside of the text coverage on their website.

Edit: after reading through the thread again, it seems no one is mistaking it for a tweet about twitch coverage here, however there are a ton of people who are on twitter

https://twitter.com/SaffronOlive/status/1089507136441368578?s=19

AnEdgelord fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Jan 27, 2019

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
It’s clear they cut back on GP coverage at least in the first few months of the year. There was 1 GP streamed in January, and they have only one on the schedule for February aside from the PT. They also didn’t steam this weekend’s limited GP which was surprising since they have done release week limited streams for a long time.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
WotC wants to be an esport and yet refuses to cover their esport events

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

Sampatrick posted:

They're probably taking money that would have gone to GP or Magicfest or whatever they are called coverage and funneling it into Magic Pro League coverage, rather than, you know, just expanding the amount of coverage they do.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Risk Factor is a better card if you can magically cast it through Shalai.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
30 of the 68 day two decks at the SCG event have copies of Krasis

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Sampatrick posted:

would be an awful idea to build up hype for the set that just got released.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

moush posted:

I copied some of the more interesting lists to my MTGGoldfish account, you can see them in the link below. There are 4 from SCG today (1-26): Jim's Jund Midrange, Todd's Temur Reclamation, Izzet Phoenix, and a Sultai Climb deck. There's also some other interesting decks I found across the web saved if you wanna check em out.

rav allegiance decklists

The 12-Drakes list here I'm fairly certain is the X-1 at the top of the standings.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Huxley posted:

The 12-Drakes list here I'm fairly certain is the X-1 at the top of the standings.

I get egnima and crackling, but what are the last 4 drakes?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

rkajdi posted:

I get egnima and crackling, but what are the last 4 drakes?

Pteramander, which is a 5/5 by around the same time as the other Drakes hit that P/T.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It actually is a Drake too. Genuinely want some Drake Tribal out of the next set.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Drakebolt - UR
Drakebolt deals damage to any target equal to the total number of Drakes you own in exile and in your graveyard.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

The Drakes deck started from the bottom, now it's mid-tier

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Timeshifted matches at 1.5 speed is really great. The last time I watched coverage they would finish a match and just have to fill 30 minutes with nothing and it blew.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

SCG is a much better viewing experience now. It used to be only watchable while doing something else, like playing online.

Edit: Of course as I say this they break their decktech and put ads in it's place.

Tom Clancy is Dead fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jan 27, 2019

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Yup loving the coverage right now.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Wyatt Darby playing his Esper Midrange right now on stream ulting his Dovin woo

e: beat Sultai Midrange 2-0 on stream and now everyone's gonna be playing it which is bad because I was getting so many free wins with it

Eej fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jan 27, 2019

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

Tainen posted:

30 of the 68 day two decks at the SCG event have copies of Krasis
The next 20 months of Standard are going to have the splashable Sphinx's Revelation in every deck, hope everyone's ready for it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Eej posted:

Wyatt Darby playing his Esper Midrange right now on stream ulting his Dovin woo

e: beat Sultai Midrange 2-0 on stream and now everyone's gonna be playing it which is bad because I was getting so many free wins with it

Deck is legit good, ulting dovan isn’t hard