Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Marx, Engels, Lenin, and Zhukov

e: A spectre is haunting page 174.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Suppose you got to vote on faces for a European Mt. Rushmore. Four portraits somewhere photogenic in the Alps.

Four choices, MilHist thread; go.

This guy, four times over, just to watch HEY GUNS' reaction. :v:

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Does it have to be people now? I say we got crazy and pick several famous animals that died in war.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

SeanBeansShako posted:

Does it have to be people now? I say we got crazy and pick several famous animals that died in war.

Cher Ami has to be on it.

I want to see Wojtek there.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Jan 27, 2019

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
Four Erich Honeckers in different hats

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Alternative option, lets just pick a hat from every era of warfare and call it a day.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Today, the 27th of January, marks the 75th anniversary of the lifting of the siege of Leningrad. I'm sure we all know the story. To honor the date, there was a parade.

To start with, there were some cadets in period uniforms. I can only imagine how cold they must've been, as it was minus 15 and even I was feeling the cold with all my layers. Good boots are super important!

Obligatory vehicle section of the parade, quite a variety of stuff was on show.

One amusing moment was when afterwards I was walking away from the event, and saw a guy in a tourist ushanka, which had the imperial eagle badge on it, while I was wearing mine with the soviet badge. Brief stare-down ensured :v:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

AlexanderCA posted:

van Creveld is also one of those nutters arguing for nuclear attack on uninvolved states in the event Israel is overrun. Which other nutters interpret as such a policy actually existing (it doesn't). Thus more fuel for the anti-semitic fire in the form of this "sampson-option" nonsense.

I’ve seen the “Sampson Option” rumor mostly among people who are convinced that any nuclear exchange will be instant destruction of the world because they think everyone will do that. Or they’ll think other nations will take advantage of the chaos to settle their grudges, like in a nuclear exchange between the US and North Korea you’ll suddenly get India turning around and nuking Pakistan just because.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Suppose you got to vote on faces for a European Mt. Rushmore. Four portraits somewhere photogenic in the Alps.

Four choices, MilHist thread; go.

I say Augustus Caesar, Charlemagne, Charles V of Spain, and Winston Churchill with Napoleon as an alternate.

4 Joseph Pujols.

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010

SeanBeansShako posted:

How about a monument with a bear driving a tank destroyer (My vote goes for the m-10 wolverine) against a pike formation, led by a gay, black hitler.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
When's military history month???

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

HEY GUNS posted:

alexander, basil II, charles v, dunno about the fourth

whoever they are need to not only possess military greatness but also be pan-Europeanly(??) relevant. So Napoleon more than Churchill because he was a Corsican who rose in the army of a people not his own through merit. this is why i picked basil II, whose empire extended to italy.

wallenstein is ironically not on the list because what he created did not outlast him. for a similar reason neither is philip II: both of them carried too much of what they did alone, with few delegates or lasting accomplishments.

Well, if we're going to talk about wider European relevance Basil arguably was mostly confined to the Balkans and Southern Italy, and his achievements were ephemeral, even the Bulgarians came back in the end. His activity in Rus was more diplomatic and cultural than anything.

Also Justinian ruined Italy and is the most overrated Roman emperor in history.

khwarezm fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jan 27, 2019

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

SeanBeansShako posted:

Alternative option, lets just pick a hat from every era of warfare and call it a day.

Mountains shaped like Grenadier's Miters.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Mountains sculpted to look like piles of skulls.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Xerxes17 posted:

One amusing moment was when afterwards I was walking away from the event, and saw a guy in a tourist ushanka, which had the imperial eagle badge on it, while I was wearing mine with the soviet badge. Brief stare-down ensured :v:

I walked past a guy wearing an SS hat once while wearing my Soviet ushanka, but I don't think he noticed.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

My choices start with Eugen of Savoy who looks a twink who got put through a leather tannery
he was rad!

edit: i've seen his buff coat and mail jacket in the Heeresgeschichtliches Museum in Vienna and he was much shorter and narrower than I am. Dude was tiny

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jan 27, 2019

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

And I picked Churchill because of role he played in defeating the greatest negative vision of European unity, and because he understood that treaties are not just scraps of paper, but dire responsibilities. Whatever else you can accuse him of, he took the accord Britain signed with Poland and France more seriously than probably any other comparable British politician in 1939-40 would have.
and their treaty with portugal

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

I feel like Alexander is only European in retrospect thanks to the Greco-Roman legacy. Augustus, on the other hand.

And I picked Churchill because of role he played in defeating the greatest negative vision of European unity, and because he understood that treaties are not just scraps of paper, but dire responsibilities. Whatever else you can accuse him of, he took the accord Britain signed with Poland and France more seriously than probably any other comparable British politician in 1939-40 would have.

A very romantic Churchill

It wasn't even Churchill who got us into the war though and he barely outlasted it.

ContinuityNewTimes fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jan 27, 2019

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

I feel like Alexander is only European in retrospect thanks to the Greco-Roman legacy. Augustus, on the other hand.

Ditch Basil II, replace him with Churchill?

i liked your point about positive versions of unity (treaties) vs negative (slavery and murder)

alexander is Western enough and, hot take, so is the Ottoman Empire

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Marxist-Jezzinist posted:

It wasn't even Churchill who got us into the war
since i started dating a Brit I've noticed how all non-Brits have a skewed and unfair view of Chamberlain

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
Neville Chamberlain all frowning in a dark corner of the thread

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Neville Chamberlain all frowning in a dark corner of the thread
side-eyeing us till the end

like the awful graphics that go with this article, his face is peeking out of the thread
https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-5-key-constituencies-of-the-2020-democratic-primary/

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

HEY GUNS posted:

since i started dating a Brit I've noticed how all non-Brits have a skewed and unfair view of Chamberlain

He was a weird patrician rear end in a top hat but he basically did the right thing, trying to get peace while frantically rearming the whole time.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
Basically that fat wrinkly baby Churchill was good for speeching and nothing else. This is my academic historical position as a professor of history

E: he was also good at supporting the wine and distilling industries

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

He was a weird patrician rear end in a top hat but he basically did the right thing, trying to get peace while frantically rearming the whole time.
yeah exactly, but americans only remember the peace part

and don't hate on weird patrician assholes

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

HEY GUNS posted:

It's kind of one of my things, sorry

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

It's kind of one of my things, sorry
as a weird patrician rear end in a top hat, i

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

HEY GUNS posted:

as a weird patrician rear end in a top hat, i

*posh braying*

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

E: he was also good at supporting the wine and distilling industries
churchill drinking with his russian counterparts is one of my favorite ww2 subplots

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

HEY GUNS posted:

churchill drinking with his russian counterparts is one of my favorite ww2 subplots

I like the image of Churchill matching Stalin drink for drink, slamming down spirits while Joe sips his tiny glasses of Georgian wine

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

I like the image of Churchill matching Stalin drink for drink, slamming down spirits while Joe sips his tiny glasses of Georgian wine
also the letters they wrote each other are hilarious. Real formal, flowery, "Nothing but praise for the glorious military endeavors of my esteemed counterpart" 17th century stuff

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Some poor sods want to throw away their money by paying me to write a book. Has anyone here done that before? Creative Convention only has a fiction megathread. I assume most of the advice still applies, but is there a good nonfiction resource?

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
Churchill suddenly getting angry over Stalin's joke about shooting a bunch of German officers. You wanted to put anthrax in the German food supply you big baby, lighten up

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Ensign Expendable posted:

Some poor sods want to throw away their money by paying me to write a book. Has anyone here done that before? Creative Convention only has a fiction megathread. I assume most of the advice still applies, but is there a good nonfiction resource?

No advice, but I will buy the everloving poo poo out of your book.

Vaginal Vagrant
Jan 12, 2007

by R. Guyovich

I feel like Alexander is only European in retrospect thanks to the Greco-Roman legacy.

I can understand this claim if directed at his empire but how do you justify this about the man?

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

i feel like alexander was part of some kind of eastern Mediterranean ecumene that preceded the intellectual construct we consider to be Europe

but he did get born where Europe is on a modern map and he was a good war man. if that gets him on the mountain im chill w it

edit: admittedly it was called europa on herodotus' map too. that makes me look dumb! still, imho, people's conception of europe that long ago doesn't really connect with the europe of the mountain

mostly because the europe of herodotus is very much part of a triad focused on a central region, not a central region considered as separate from two bordering regions called africa and asia

build the mountain

oystertoadfish fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jan 27, 2019

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
Alexander should be on the mountain but for good heroic drinking, not being a good war man.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Alexander should be on the mountain but for good heroic drinking, not being a good war man.
great milhist drinkers of history: alexander, churchill, gallas, who's the fourth

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

HEY GUNS posted:

great milhist drinkers of history: alexander, churchill, gallas, who's the fourth

socrates

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

HEY GUNS posted:

They really aren't making it easy enough not to.