Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Fingers McLongDong posted:

I am guessing comet storm is a placeholder for electrodominance?

Comet storm is Electrodominance, Rakdos Augermage is Bedevil. Sideboard also has an EE and some Chalice of the Voids

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Skyl3lazer posted:

Comet storm is Electrodominance, Rakdos Augermage is Bedevil. Sideboard also has an EE and some Chalice of the Voids

Makes a lot more sense. Is there a version of this that could splash blue for As Foretold? I'd be worried about having those suspend spells stuck in my hand if I can't find an electrodominance.

Actually doesn't seem that likely though, between looting and cobru. I like this idea.

Into the Ocean
May 13, 2010

I've been picking up Eldrazi Stompy as a pet deck, and I have some questions. I'm not new to 1.5, but am new to playing Stompy type decks. I've been having some problems against MonoR Bloodmoon/Magus decks. Is there any game besides Walking Ballista g1? I'm running three Ballista main deck, recently cut a fourth, but also playing two basic Wastes and one Warping Wail, and SB All is Dust. Second question: any opinions on cutting one Spirit Guide for a Dismember?

Into the Ocean fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jan 22, 2019

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
Is Mardu Pyromancer still a competitive modern deck (assuming enough practice with the deck)? I'm really only K-commands away from a non-LotV build of the deck now that I've been able to scoop up some shocklands, and since my Monday nights will finally be free in the not too distant future and modern mondays are probably my store's most attended events, I've been thinking about putting it together.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

Is Mardu Pyromancer still a competitive modern deck (assuming enough practice with the deck)? I'm really only K-commands away from a non-LotV build of the deck now that I've been able to scoop up some shocklands, and since my Monday nights will finally be free in the not too distant future and modern mondays are probably my store's most attended events, I've been thinking about putting it together.

It's a fine weekly event deck but doesn't show up much in high level tournaments (although things may change with kci gone). Based on my experience with the deck, you will win exactly 50% of your matches.

Typhus733
Aug 30, 2008

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

I've been championing the deck for years and yet I've dropped it in favor of GB Rock lately. It's still and always will be a strong deck but I feel GB does fair better right now and Pheonix decks do the unfair looting game way better as well. It can always win matches but sometimes you just have to work so much harder for it. That and it feels just too threat light/slow against the unfair decks in the format. KCI was actually a reasonably good matchup so I'm almost sad to see it go.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
This is apparently an un-googleable question: Wtf are "Legacy Points" on MTGO?

Just sold all my standard poo poo on there for tickets and built a Legacy deck again (since I'm taking this year off Standard so I stop spending money to keep up with the meta...saving to move and buy a house). I have no idea what the hell this new thing is and can't seem to find any information about it, figured someone in here must know.

EDIT: Nevermind, figured it out when I right clicked on it in my collection and it said they were for "Legacy Playoff Events", which actually yielded useful search results.

BaronVonVaderham fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jan 27, 2019

psilo
Oct 18, 2009

Makes a lot more sense. Is there a version of this that could splash blue for As Foretold?

There is: https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/1606669#paper

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Just sold all my standard poo poo on there for tickets and built a Legacy deck again (since I'm taking this year off Standard so I stop spending money to keep up with the meta...saving to move and buy a house).

I don't really talk to anyone who plays standard but I'm curious. Does this sentiment ring true with people who do? Like, do they know standard is more expensive than eternal formats if you play it for more than some (fairly short) ammt of time? Or does everyone just assume this is not the case?

(also, good luck with the move!)

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

We were talking in discord about Gabe Nassif getting to the semis of the modern challenge this weekend with UR living end with 4 as foretold and 4 electrodominance. Think he got 7 wins in a row before getting knocked out in the top 4. Seemed pretty solid.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

The March Hare posted:

I don't really talk to anyone who plays standard but I'm curious. Does this sentiment ring true with people who do? Like, do they know standard is more expensive than eternal formats if you play it for more than some (fairly short) ammt of time? Or does everyone just assume this is not the case?

(also, good luck with the move!)

It's not that expensive if you're able to just stick with one deck and just tweak things as the meta develops or if you've been doing it for a while like I was (where I was keeping ahead of rotations and making smart trades to keep my binder stocked with staples for relatively little additional investment).

But yeah, eternal formats require a LOT less effort to keep up with things, and if you're constantly changing decks in standard over short time periods and don't keep a stocked binder, you're pumping money into it. At most I'm moving cards in and out of my sideboard or trying out a new toy from the new set. Then again, I've also severely reduced my number of decks in those formats, too (1 Legacy, 3 Modern now that I rebuilt Jund but only 1 can be intact at a time).

I mostly realized I had a huge amount of value tied up in my "I'm able to put together whatever I want to play" binder, so I cashed it out to put another 2 grand toward my downpayment and, really, just make my life in this game a lot less stressful. I can dick around on Arena if I feel the itch. I guess I'm also taking a bit of a step back from competitive play this year since things are going to be crazy....also hard to plan what GPs I can go to past the summer since I have no idea where I'll be.

I'm ok with taking a year "off" though, especially if it means I can pull this move off without having to sell any of my graded power :unsmith:.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Small brain: play standard, it's cheaper than the other formats

Planet brain: actually once you make the initial investment, eternal formats are quite cheap as comparatively few cards make it into the format and it's becoming increasingly common that they're not rares or mythics (unless you're me and every deck you've ever loved playing has been pushed out of the format)

Galaxy brain: don't play Magic, sell all your cards

Real content:

I'm down from having almost any legacy deck minus weird, expensive Legends cards, including being able to build RUG Delver and BUG delver at the same time (minus a Force) to being able to build Solidarity and one of the many unplayable Aether Vial + Wasteland decks (D&T, Joblins, Humans.) For modern I just have my super pretty Spirits and I spent the extra $15 for the few cards I needed to have modern humans in addition to its legacy counterpart.

Basically what I'm saying is ban every card in Grixis Delver.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

suicidesteve posted:

I'm down from having almost any legacy deck minus weird, expensive Legends cards, including being able to build RUG Delver and BUG delver at the same time (minus a Force) to being able to build Solidarity and one of the many unplayable Aether Vial + Wasteland decks (D&T, Joblins, Humans.) For modern I just have my super pretty Spirits and I spent the extra $15 for the few cards I needed to have modern humans in addition to its legacy counterpart.

Out of curiosity, what does Legacy Humans look like? I thought I saw Nassif stream that once and it was basically all of the UW cards in Modern Humans + Mom and maybe something else. I'm assuming RNA Lavinia factors into it somehow?

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

C-Euro posted:

Out of curiosity, what does Legacy Humans look like? I thought I saw Nassif stream that once and it was basically all of the UW cards in Modern Humans + Mom and maybe something else. I'm assuming RNA Lavinia factors into it somehow?

Palace jailer, imperial recruiter, mom, wasteland, no mantis riders

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

C-Euro posted:

this

I took Mengucci's list and made a few changes but that's more or less it. I hated the 3/2 that Impulses so I cut them for a 2nd Recruiter and a 4th Meddling Mage. I completely redid the sideboard (as you should imo) because I don't own black Leylines. Laviniana probably has a place but idk if it's main or side or both or if she's just a trap.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

suicidesteve posted:

this

I took Mengucci's list and made a few changes but that's more or less it. I hated the 3/2 that Impulses so I cut them for a 2nd Recruiter and a 4th Meddling Mage. I completely redid the sideboard (as you should imo) because I don't own black Leylines. Laviniana probably has a place but idk if it's main or side or both or if she's just a trap.

Oh yeah it was Mengucci not Nassif, duh. That list looks cool and kind of makes me want to try that Bant Humans-ish list in Modern but I don't think it has the quality support cards that make a more grindy version of Humans work.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

C-Euro posted:

Oh yeah it was Mengucci not Nassif, duh. That list looks cool and kind of makes me want to try that Bant Humans-ish list in Modern but I don't think it has the quality support cards that make a more grindy version of Humans work.

Yeah, Palace Jailer is mostly garbage because every good deck either doesn't care about it or goes under/around it, but it's still a pretty important tool to have.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
Been using shoktroopa's modern U tron list a lot lately. I know people like to make fun of U tron but I think it's pretty solid and fun to play. It leans a lot less heavily on the tron lands, which means you don't get as many bonkers "i win on turn 3 or 4" games that G tron does, but you also fold less to big mana hate or land destruction. I just went 4-1 in a friendly MTGO league, and I've gone 3-1 at weekly tournaments with it a few times.

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/1586859#paper

Into the Ocean
May 13, 2010

Nevermind. Responded to a different post.

Into the Ocean fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jan 28, 2019

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/1580973#paper

I've been testing this white eldrazi stompy deck a bit. I took an older white eldrazi stompy/taxes list and made adjustments that I think are better for the current meta and included tithe taker. Went 4-0 last night beating affinity, elves, UW control, and hollow one. It feels really good right now.

Tithe taker is insane. I've been a taxes aficionado in modern for a long time, and this is probably the best new card for that archetype in a long time. I replaced arbiter with it since I don't think arbiter is good currently, and that allowed me to cut the ghost quarters in this list for some field of ruins and clean the mana up, making the deck operate much more smoothly. There were a lot of games where tithe taker was just a better card than Thalia, and they play together extremely well. Tithe taker also ruined the affinity player because he couldn't use arcbound ravager's ability on my turn to make efficient blocks. The sideboard cataclysmic gearhulks also blew up 12 creatures across 2 games against elves, which was extremely satisfying.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
What's the reasoning for Declaration in Stone? Being able to sometimes hit multiple creatures and Tithe Taker making Clues cost 3 to sac?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

C-Euro posted:

What's the reasoning for Declaration in Stone? Being able to sometimes hit multiple creatures and Tithe Taker making Clues cost 3 to sac?

It's better than Path in the Chalice of the Void deck.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

suicidesteve posted:

Mainly this. It does, however, wipe up multiple bloodghasts/prized amalgams/phoenixes. It's also pretty funny when you're playing against affinity and have a stony silence out. I'm going 2/2 on dec/dismember because 4 dismember seems like way too much given those kinds of speedy aggro graveyard decks, and exiling seems a lot better than just killing it in the current meta.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

suicidesteve posted:

Oh yeah, poo poo :sweatdrop:

E: Just so this post isn't a total waste, does anyone here play any sort of UR or URx Control in Modern? I've had the cards for something like this archetype lying around for a year but I haven't played it since it ran the Through the Breach + Emrakul combo, which is part of what drew me to the deck but has sadly fallen out of favor recently. Debating whether or not I should keep all the pieces and spend a little time experimenting with UR or Grixis shells, as there's a lot of expensive cards in there that I'm not otherwise using...

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jan 31, 2019

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/1580973#paper

I've been testing this white eldrazi stompy deck a bit. I took an older white eldrazi stompy/taxes list and made adjustments that I think are better for the current meta and included tithe taker. Went 4-0 last night beating affinity, elves, UW control, and hollow one. It feels really good right now.

Tithe taker is insane. I've been a taxes aficionado in modern for a long time, and this is probably the best new card for that archetype in a long time. I replaced arbiter with it since I don't think arbiter is good currently, and that allowed me to cut the ghost quarters in this list for some field of ruins and clean the mana up, making the deck operate much more smoothly. There were a lot of games where tithe taker was just a better card than Thalia, and they play together extremely well. Tithe taker also ruined the affinity player because he couldn't use arcbound ravager's ability on my turn to make efficient blocks. The sideboard cataclysmic gearhulks also blew up 12 creatures across 2 games against elves, which was extremely satisfying.

Can you go over some of the other situations where Tithe Taker is strong? I've been playing the vial+path version of white eldrazi and that card looks underwhelming to me.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I knew there would be some kind of fringe use for Declaration in Stone.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

little munchkin posted:

Can you go over some of the other situations where Tithe Taker is strong? I've been playing the vial+path version of white eldrazi and that card looks underwhelming to me.

So I haven't tested it in a vial version yet, but I can attest to scenarios that it was good in across games last night.

Hollow one: sorta medium here, but was both an excellent chump blocker and good at preventing combat blowouts. Knowing they couldn't bolt a creature when I went for a double block was nice.

Affinity: Awesome in this match. Chump blocking is fine, and 1/1 fliers are great vs affinity. More than that though, my opponents inability to make efficient block setups with arc bound ravager was great and won games. Welding jar was inefficient, activating man lands on my turn was inefficient.

Elves: Pretty medium here honestly but that's the case with most white taxes decks against elves in general. Lots of cards are bad vs them.

UW control: Made this matchup miserable for him. Counterspells were bad. Opting/pathing on my turn was bad. Trying to set up Terminus on my turn was bad. Snapcaster costs extra, as does search on my turn. Verdict leaves me with creatures. I basically felt like he couldn't do much on my turn, particularly if I had a Thalia or extra takers out at the same time.

In one scenario I was attacking with Thalia and Taker. My opponent had 5 untapped lands and 1 uncracked fetch he should have cracked on my turn. He wanted to snap/path, but snap now cast 3, it would have cost him 1 to pop the fetch, and then he didnt have mana for path. Admittedly this is more on him not playing around taker well, but making them tap out main phase for a basic play is pretty nice. It's nice playing a taker precombat and shutting off their ability to cast settle the wreckage too.

Other scenarios that come to mind: spell queller costs more, vial activations cost mana on your turn, it's a great card to have to sac to LotV. It just pairs super well with Thalia and has some resilience to board wipes, which white taxes was lacking in before.

Fingers McLongDong fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jan 31, 2019

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Hollow one: sorta medium here, but was both an excellent chump blocker and good at preventing combat blowouts. Knowing they couldn't bolt a creature when I went for a double block was nice.

thanks but I don't follow this one

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

little munchkin posted:

thanks but I don't follow this one

It's more that it was nice having a double chumper against fast Hollow ones and anglers, plus they play with low mana so going for a double block to kill a guy often meant they couldn't go for a bolt to blow me out. Stacks well with thalia again there.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

It's more that it was nice having a double chumper against fast Hollow ones and anglers, plus they play with low mana so going for a double block to kill a guy often meant they couldn't go for a bolt to blow me out. Stacks well with thalia again there.

it doesn't tax them on their combat step though...

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

little munchkin posted:

it doesn't tax them on their combat step though...

Yeah I have no idea why I was getting confused there. Getting my combat mixed up with theirs and Thalias effect, sorry.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Well, I sure make questionable decisions (with buylist $).

Nothing says "Legacy" like running a $700 downgrade over a $30 bitterblossom in the sideboard.... (of course, this card also has Nyx Fit implications in additional to being the best worst card in my depths sideboard)

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Tim Raines IRL posted:

Well, I sure make questionable decisions (with buylist $).

Nothing says "Legacy" like running a $700 downgrade over a $30 bitterblossom in the sideboard.... (of course, this card also has Nyx Fit implications in additional to being the best worst card in my depths sideboard)

Fun-of mainboard that poo poo to make blue decks flip their wig

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Archenteron posted:

Fun-of mainboard that poo poo to make blue decks flip their wig

I definitely will at non-comp REL. Maindecking chains and library for a large event seems dubious (but hilarious).

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

C-Euro posted:

E: Just so this post isn't a total waste, does anyone here play any sort of UR or URx Control in Modern? I've had the cards for something like this archetype lying around for a year but I haven't played it since it ran the Through the Breach + Emrakul combo, which is part of what drew me to the deck but has sadly fallen out of favor recently. Debating whether or not I should keep all the pieces and spend a little time experimenting with UR or Grixis shells, as there's a lot of expensive cards in there that I'm not otherwise using...

it's extremely bad, OP

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

it's extremely bad, OP

Aw dunk :( Are you talking about Breach + Emrakul specifically, or the Snaps + UR spells + Blood Moon + Jace concept overall?

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

C-Euro posted:

Aw dunk :( Are you talking about Breach + Emrakul specifically, or the Snaps + UR spells + Blood Moon + Jace concept overall?

u/r phoenix is top tier atm, blue moon is playable (although some of them are cutting moons and running field of ruin instead because moon sucks right now). the combo specifically is detrimental to your win rate.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

little munchkin posted:

u/r phoenix is top tier atm, blue moon is playable (although some of them are cutting moons and running field of ruin instead because moon sucks right now). the combo specifically is detrimental to your win rate.

Yeah I've resigned myself to not running the combo in that deck for the foreseeable future, but I have pretty much everything that would potentially go in that shell and I feel bad for never using any of it. I'll have to sleeve up the version with Thing in the Ice sometime.

E: Also an excuse to re-build Titan Breach so that those combo cards don't go to waste :getin:

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Feb 3, 2019

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Someone please explain this deck to me, because it both delights and terrifies me
Deck: Sultai Reclamation

//Lands
3 Breeding Pool
2 Creeping Tar Pit
1 Drowned Catacomb
1 Field of Ruin
1 Flooded Grove
1 Forest
2 Hinterland Harbor
4 Island
3 Misty Rainforest
4 Polluted Delta
1 Swamp
2 Watery Grave

//Spells
1 Abrupt Decay
1 Assassin's Trophy
1 Blue Sun's Zenith
4 Cryptic Command
1 Devour Flesh
2 Fatal Push
4 Growth Spiral
1 Hieroglyphic Illumination
1 Logic Knot
3 Mystical Teachings
1 Nexus of Fate
3 Opt
1 Pulse of Murasa
4 Remand
1 Spell Snare
3 Wilderness Reclamation

//Creatures
3 Snapcaster Mage

//Sideboard
1 Ceremonious Rejection
1 Consume the Meek
1 Crypt Incursion
2 Dispel
1 Echoing Decay
2 Fatal Push
1 Fracturing Gust
1 Hero's Downfall
2 Life Goes On
1 Nimble Obstructionist
1 Shadow of Doubt
1 Surgical Extraction

Display deck statistics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

My explanation is that it's bad.