Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

From everything I've read in this thread and elsewhere, it seems like no deal on March 29 is practically a certainty at this point, just because there aren't the votes in Parliament or Europe or both for anything else to change the default before then. So why is the conventional wisdom still that "something" will happen to prevent this? Brexit by March 29 is still at 28 cents on the dollar on Predictit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!
Man the anti-semitism controversies in countries without sizable Jewish populations are really awkward and dumb.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

From everything I've read in this thread and elsewhere, it seems like no deal on March 29 is practically a certainty at this point, just because there aren't the votes in Parliament or Europe or both for anything else to change the default before then. So why is the conventional wisdom still that "something" will happen to prevent this? Brexit by March 29 is still at 28 cents on the dollar on Predictit.

Since unilateral revocation is still possible, there's a small chance parliament will grab the steering wheel at the last second, but that's very dicey.

Or enough opposition cave and vote for May's deal out of terror of the cliff edge

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Parliament will revoke a50 on March 29 at 11:58 pm. It will be a total disaster for Brittan, but less so than no deal Brexit.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Mays deal is an extremely hard brexit as well

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

im the extremely hard brexit

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

btw, this has been really fun to watch so I hope you keep going after this one. Brits should try to leave the UN next, then planet Earth

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

has the eu given this March as the final deadline or could they punt it some more

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

btw, this has been really fun to watch so I hope you keep going after this one. Brits should try to leave the UN next, then planet Earth

hold my beer

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Der Meister posted:

has the eu given this March as the final deadline or could they punt it some more

May would be the final deadline due to European elections. The EU has said the UK needs to be either in or out by then as they won't allow the UK to gently caress those elections up by being in between.

An extension would only be allowed if Tessa May renegotiated on anything, which she is ruling out

lol

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Fallen Hamprince posted:

twitter hyperventilating aside, it's not so much that corbyn is an anti-semite himself as that he absolutely does not give a poo poo about keeping anti-semites out of his movement

It really is insanely hosed up how Corbyn refuses to press the big button on his desk that says "expel all antisemites"

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
And poo poo remember how Corbyn personally crept around the back of the labour party and opened a fire door so all those antisemites could sneak in without paying the cover charge, bad leadership imo

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Der Meister posted:

Britain set the deadline themselves, because they invoked Article 50 in March 2016. The EU has said they'll extend it in the wake of a UK election, and they might also extend it in the case of a good faith negotiation which can still be tied up before the EU elections in May, but with Theresa May in charge it's very much a hard deadline.

The EU has also issued a ruling that the UK can unilaterally rescind Article 50 at any time before Brexit and just stay in the EU with no further damage.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Der Meister posted:

The deadline is set in stone by the EU treaties. It can be extended by unanimous consent of all member states, which is never going to happen unless there is a really, really good reason

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

The deadline is set in stone by the EU treaties. It can be extended by unanimous consent of all member states, which is never going to happen unless there is a really, really good reason

Pretty much the only good reason they're willing to accept anymore is Theresa May is gone

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

yeah iirc the latest word I heard about a possible extension was "if the political landscape of britain changes", so an election that dethrones May and her negotiators basically

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Tezza is gonna lose a GE on March 20th but will just refuse to leave and we'll do her deal instead because the alternative would be extremely undecorous

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
this is one of the casualties of austerity. the tories have tried to make the justice system pay for itself

https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1089644772459982849

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

the real money is in libel which is why there are hundreds of Russian oligarchs hiding in London , suing each other and investigative journos

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

the gently caress is hangxiety

isn't that just called regret

oh I'm sure someone found a thingy that can be correlated to something bla blah and then this stupid fake word got attached to it to get this kind of reaction

the uk should make compound words unconstitutional, they really aren't doing y'all any good

oystertoadfish has issued a correction as of 01:01 on Jan 28, 2019

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
They should electrocute anyone who does.

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

The UK can also effectively unilaterally extend the deadline by revoking article 50 and immediately invoking it again.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Bryter posted:

The UK can also effectively unilaterally extend the deadline by revoking article 50 and immediately invoking it again.

They should totally try that.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

Bryter posted:

I mean technically but I don't imagine that going down well

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Lol what a joke. Just suck it up and leave the eu so you can suffer then rejoin once you have realized the error of your ways and adopt the euro. You got special treatment the first time.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Because it will be the most stupid thing the British have ever done. It is one of the greatest self-owns in history and if there are textbooks in the future it will have it's own chapter.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
How hard is your brexit right now?

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Nooidea who this is meant to be for. Their killing their opponents but also themselves?

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

Nooidea who this is meant to be for. Their killing their opponents but also themselves?

Jim'll paint it takes silly requests and paints them:

Tory squat party. Boris has a nosebleed from snorting too much speed, May is drinking special brew and Hunt is burning the Criminal Justice Bill while Farage, in full hunting gear, is calling the police.

As requested by Matt Durstan Tilke

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

this is every conservative's dream

destroy the world and themselves

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Martout posted:

I mean technically but I don't imagine that going down well

The Hundred Year Brexit

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Victory Position posted:

The Hundred Year Brexit

stopping article 50 to invade France would be an incredibly British thing to do.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Bryter posted:

The EU interprets this ability as "revoking article 50 with the intent to remain in the EU permanently", not "revoking article 50 with the intent to extend the negotiation". The EU could basically declare the revocation invalid if the British had made noises about their intent to just use it as a delaying tactic, which frankly seems like something the Brits would be unable to keep to themselves. Like, it seems to have taken them by surprise that people in the EU understand English and might react to the things they say in public. And presumably, invoking it again at a slightly later point would be evidence that the original revocation wasn't valid and thus Britain would be past the deadline and crash out immediately.

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

so if/when the uk leaves the EU are they gonna drop English as an official EU language and gently caress over EULAs and other poo poo for English speakers forever cause if so lol

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Der Meister posted:

so if/when the uk leaves the EU are they gonna drop English as an official EU language and gently caress over EULAs and other poo poo for English speakers forever cause if so lol

Ireland is still in the EU.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

also malta! official languages maltese and english

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

goddammit

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

A Buttery Pastry posted:

The EU interprets this ability as "revoking article 50 with the intent to remain in the EU permanently", not "revoking article 50 with the intent to extend the negotiation". The EU could basically declare the revocation invalid if the British had made noises about their intent to just use it as a delaying tactic, which frankly seems like something the Brits would be unable to keep to themselves. Like, it seems to have taken them by surprise that people in the EU understand English and might react to the things they say in public. And presumably, invoking it again at a slightly later point would be evidence that the original revocation wasn't valid and thus Britain would be past the deadline and crash out immediately.

The ECJ judgement called it an unconditional right and it would be very funny, so I'm going to continue to believe it might happen.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
It's also easier to keep using English than to try to decide which language should replace it. That it's not the official language of most EU countries actually makes English more attractive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
There's no way French wouldn't be an official EU language if we had to get a new one, and nobody wants that.