Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Venom Snake posted:

Do you know why they decided to make the rebels as bad as the literal slave owners at the last second?

Yeah like Discendo Vox is saying Ken is a great example of a game designer who saw success and it created a huge ego. Dude was a failed film writer, wanted to work in film, never really got his work accepted by a film studio, then goes into games and his first big title is a success. As an artist this naturally vindicates everything you have ever done and means that anything you touch will turn into gold. On Bioshock Infinite he was leading a studio as the owner, the creative director, and the lead producer. He was making the game he wanted and could change anything at a moments notice. We had his narrative team flowchart their process on the whiteboard once and we had to ERASE THE WHITEBOARD TWICE because it was so complex mostly due to Ken being able to step in at any moment. I could go on and on, but imagine having a lovely boss with an ego who's telling everyone what to do and not giving you any control. Despite this you have to ship a game. That was the process behind that game and one of the reasons the studio imploded as soon as that game was done.

Honestly we couldn't really touch the script much except for making suggestions to make it coherent. It went through a lot of revisions, like most scripts do, and in the end Ken's vision was that everybody should be bad. Or something.

Some fun facts about Ken. He later tried writing a Bioshock movie script and sending it to Hollywood. When we read it at the publisher somebody was like "holy poo poo this is a carbon copy of the old superman script" and after we dug into it, yep, it was basically an old superman story contorted and edited into something bioschock flavored. Naturally it never got anywhere. He also would frequently go to the local gamestop near the studio where he was a local celebrity. One of the young ladies working the counter, I think she was barely 20, he was obviously keen on. During BSI he hired her as his 'assistant producer'. No experience, no qualifications, you can probably read between the lines. This is the guy behind Elizabeth. Don't work in games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
sorry for the derail I just get carried away telling war stories

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

BULBASAUR posted:

don't be these posts are why i still come to #somethingawfu.coml in 2019.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
https://twitter.com/cornnuts/status/1088622663973724161?s=21

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Some Guy TT posted:

more on producing a better quality of thread the op for best games of 2018 was a generally good read with a good summary of how lots of studios went woke only to hilariously have it be revealed that they were gaslighting shitheads to their female employees but then inexplicably describes far cry as a missed opportunity to call trump bad and then unironically praises ea for emphasizing minority and women active combat personnel in battlefield people are so very very close to realizing that the entire apparatus for producing our mindless media is hosed and that woke branding is a thinly veiled means of trying to disguise these systemic flaws but they always pull back because they dont want to acknowledge the problem is more complicated than kicking out a few token racists

now me i dont see the contradiction with looking at both the text and the metatext of any given work of fiction in tandem i honestly find it easier to appreciate that way casablanca is actually a pretty underrated film when you consider the way its subtly pushes the message of how nazis were in fact bad when a couple of years earlier americans were jonesing for president charles lindbergh its a good propaganda movie mainly because no one ever notices that its a propaganda movie

Someone call an ambulance, I this guys having a stroke

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Ghost Leviathan posted:

There really are a lot of cases of authors and entire artistic trends being mistaken for woke when they actually just pander to a different, even skeevier array of fetishes that don't also happen to be played out cliches yet.

Ironically they basically play to nearly all the same fetishes as the kind of anime everyone mocks (adolescent infantilised daughterwives being saved from symbolic sexual peril and other fetishised violence, with a token arc of empowerment after spending 90% of the time pandering) but the boobs aren't as big and the hair is brunette (always brunette, not blonde or red) so obviously they're modest nonsexualised empowered figures, who also take off their shoes for no adequately explained reason

hilariously it's the only stable them in infinite, while everything else seems like a scattershot take on race and class and gender. oh people are exploited and rise up but it turns out they're the real tyrants too, oh the racists worship john wilkes boothe in their temple but are fine with working with a woman scientist that develops all this doomsday tech because she meets her parallel universe brother. the gently caress

edit: oh drat my take got addressed a few posts up. Please don't stop posting Bulbasaur

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

BULBASAUR posted:

nah this is great. threads already derailed pretty far from posting about securitas tweeting mlk quotes or something but everyone seems cool with it

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

BULBASAUR posted:

no those are good stories because we all know those guys are creeps but game dev employees are so insanely tight-lipped and fearful about everything that you never get to hear confirmation

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I’m bustin for Bernie

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

this tweet implies that male children have role models that attend davos which might conceivably be true of the children of master card executives

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

:cumpolice:

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Breakfast All Day posted:

nah this is great. threads already derailed pretty far from posting about securitas tweeting mlk quotes or something but everyone seems cool with it

oh hey that reminds me were coming up on the one year anniversary of this classic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVz1xa7S4Q4

i want a version where the football players are kneeling instead of praying

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Some Guy TT posted:

oh hey that reminds me were coming up on the one year anniversary of this classic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVz1xa7S4Q4

i want a version where the football players are kneeling instead of praying

This ad having only a half-second glimpse of one actual black person is bad, but let's not forget the all-time champ in tone-deafness, "that time GE ran a pro-coal ad using Sixteen Tons"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6ueDHn2HTk

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Discendo Vox posted:

The main director behind the bioshock series, Ken Levine, is uh not great. Elizabeth still wound up sexualized, as did the daughter in 2. They really wanted both sides of the daughterwifebsexual threat dynamic. It’s hella creepy, in strong contrast to e.g. Dishonoured. Even then, though, there was a whole period of Daughterwives in symbolic sexual peril in games.

levine said that he didn't intend bioshock to be a commentary on objectivism lol

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

BULBASAUR posted:

Yeah like Discendo Vox is saying Ken is a great example of a game designer who saw success and it created a huge ego. Dude was a failed film writer, wanted to work in film, never really got his work accepted by a film studio, then goes into games and his first big title is a success. As an artist this naturally vindicates everything you have ever done and means that anything you touch will turn into gold. On Bioshock Infinite he was leading a studio as the owner, the creative director, and the lead producer. He was making the game he wanted and could change anything at a moments notice. We had his narrative team flowchart their process on the whiteboard once and we had to ERASE THE WHITEBOARD TWICE because it was so complex mostly due to Ken being able to step in at any moment. I could go on and on, but imagine having a lovely boss with an ego who's telling everyone what to do and not giving you any control. Despite this you have to ship a game. That was the process behind that game and one of the reasons the studio imploded as soon as that game was done.

Honestly we couldn't really touch the script much except for making suggestions to make it coherent. It went through a lot of revisions, like most scripts do, and in the end Ken's vision was that everybody should be bad. Or something.

Some fun facts about Ken. He later tried writing a Bioshock movie script and sending it to Hollywood. When we read it at the publisher somebody was like "holy poo poo this is a carbon copy of the old superman script" and after we dug into it, yep, it was basically an old superman story contorted and edited into something bioschock flavored. Naturally it never got anywhere. He also would frequently go to the local gamestop near the studio where he was a local celebrity. One of the young ladies working the counter, I think she was barely 20, he was obviously keen on. During BSI he hired her as his 'assistant producer'. No experience, no qualifications, you can probably read between the lines. This is the guy behind Elizabeth. Don't work in games

lmao holy poo poo thank you

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

BULBASAUR posted:

Farm Frenzy posted:

lmao holy poo poo thank you

Ditto. This is awesome. I wonder if Levine will go down the Croberts path in the future and try to crowdfund a Bioshock Citizen scam...

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

The book that cured me of any dreams of working in videogames or other creative industries. Christ you really have to have negative self-respect to last long enough to start a career

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Easy Diff posted:

This ad having only a half-second glimpse of one actual black person is bad, but let's not forget the all-time champ in tone-deafness, "that time GE ran a pro-coal ad using Sixteen Tons"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6ueDHn2HTk

i never knew coal mining could be so sexy

Farm Frenzy posted:

levine said that he didn't intend bioshock to be a commentary on objectivism lol

so did brad bird i think its really more a case of he doesnt want to be known as an objectivist socially lucky for him the word of the creator is considered more important in media interpretation than the text and subtext because criticism these days is atrocious

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I've never played Bioshock, but wasn't it a critique of objectivism rather than an endorsement? Though I believe the non-objectivist characters were also bad for some reason, so it seems the "drool, both sides bad" line runs deep through the Bioshock franchise.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

steinrokkan posted:

I've never played Bioshock, but wasn't it a critique of objectivism rather than an endorsement? Though I believe the non-objectivist characters were also bad for some reason, so it seems the "drool, both sides bad" line runs deep through the Bioshock franchise.

i mean, the whole premise is 'hey if galt's gulch happened it would turn to poo poo' so yeah i don't really see a way to coherently read the og bioshock as pro-objectivism

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
Levine’s stated something to the effect that rapture would have survived if Andrew Ryan maintained his ideology and not become a statist or whatever

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

why did anyone feel the need to get these two casts together for a photo op are they planning a crossover

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Some Guy TT posted:

why did anyone feel the need to get these two casts together for a photo op are they planning a crossover

Crazy Rich Panthers

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

https://twitter.com/mikeyface/status/1089889032715321344?s=20

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Dr. Killjoy posted:

Levine’s stated something to the effect that rapture would have survived if Andrew Ryan maintained his ideology and not become a statist or whatever
they always always tell on themselves

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

he didn’t use ‘statist’ himself but deffo he was saying that exerting any sort of governance or regulation at all led to the collapse

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

this dude is the worst movie reviewer on YouTube

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

"Have you considered that I'm a good writer and you're just a bad reader?"

:thunk:

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Dr. Killjoy posted:

he didn’t use ‘statist’ himself but deffo he was saying that exerting any sort of governance or regulation at all led to the collapse

well if i'm remembering right what's his name the big crime guy got his start smuggling in bible and rosaries and other religious paraphernalia because that stuff was forbidden on rapture and from there it escalated to weapons and drugs

and like, i guess that could be read as a 'regulations bad' deal but i'd always read it as poking holes in the right-out-of-rand-books concept of all these ubermensch geniuses being perfectly logical beings able to quickly discard all their old attachments to the cultures they spent all their lives in

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Dr. Killjoy posted:

lmao what

the only way this would make sense is if ryan had decided to roll over and let the other capitalist whose thing was that he was exactly like ryan except more ruthless because he wasnt insane enough to dress up his socipathy as good take the place over

which would be admitting that his ideology was wronng

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

why is it that only superhero movies inspire this level of zen devotion and not like david lynch

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Taintrunner posted:

this dude is the worst movie reviewer on YouTube

The video where he called Joker the hero of Dark Knight is the dumbest take ever.

Dr. Killjoy posted:

I thought Rapture being a wreck was the natural result of Ryan's ideology.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Some Guy TT posted:

why is it that only superhero movies inspire this level of zen devotion and not like david lynch

People expect you to have some level of competency when talking about David Lynch. You don't even need to know anything about the superheroes themselves to have a "deep understanding" about superhero movies.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

I don't know who that guy is or if he's referring to something in particular, but it seems like most "plot holes" nowadays are things that actually were explained but the viewer wasn't paying attention or things that are deliberately ambiguous or open to interpretation. Like I see some of these complaints about plot holes or whatever in comic book movies and like half of them are explained by reading the drat wikipedia synopsis.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

the superhero movies are going to have plot holes because they choreograph and film all the action scenes and everything that needs years of computer graphics before the script is even finalized and the writers have to write around them no matter how little sense they make

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

any YouTube vid about plot holes in blockbuster movies that gets six figure views is absolute horseshit usually

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

plot holes are a popular thing to attack because theyre considered technical errors so you can criticize them while still holding the pretense that you like the movie as a hole

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Some Guy TT posted:

plot holes are a popular thing to attack because theyre considered technical errors so you can criticize them while still holding the pretense that you like the movie as a hole

alternatively they're a popular thing to attack because they're considered technical errors so you can push the movie as Objectively Bad and not just something that you personally didn't dig

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You loving nerds, I don't even remember any of the plot to Holes. I just remember Shia was in it.