Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

I'm worried she might have a toothache and so chew weirdly to maybe avoid the bad tooth :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Or she could be purring. Jet purrs when he eats.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

I can't imagine what kind of mechanical action is required to make that sort of sound with a soft substance like a cooked pea; that almost sounds like something is not right with her chewing motion. But that usually causes cats to have other symptoms like drooling or avoidance of food, which is expressly not happening. If she's otherwise normal maybe it's just cat being cat, and you can ask your vet on her next scheduled physical. If she starts avoiding food then you take her to the vet asap, but for now :shrug:

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Katt posted:

Question about my cat. She's making weird sounds when chewing. Grindy sounds. Like she's chewing on a carrot.

Her mood is fine and she's eating her food as normal but no matter what she eats she makes the carrot grinding sound.

At first I thought it was her dry food but then she made the same sound while eating peas and corn (she gets a teaspoon when I cook because she won't stop mewling until she gets some) and she makes the exact same sound when chewing grass or eating a dry leaf on the hallway floor.

Buffy does the same thing occaisionally. A crunchy, grindy noise with some pop now and again. I've had two separate vets check her teeth the last two times she was in for hyperthyroid blood tests and both confirm her teeth are fine (well, fine within given limits for a nearly 20 y/o cat). I thought she might have had a loose tooth or something but the vet said the same thing as kw0134: if she's happy munching on that side, no drool or blood and the teeth check ok then roll with it.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I went to the kitchen this evening, and heard a pathetic mewling coming from somewhere. After looking in the pantry and all of the cabinets to see if one of the idiots had gone inside and thought themselves trapped (all the cabinets open outward...), I discovered that the older of the two had somehow gotten herself behind the refrigerator.

Now, there is no gap on either side of the fridge, so she must have gotten onto the counter and into the tiny gap to the right of the unit.

The space was so narrow she couldn't turn around, so she was just looking up pathetically.

I laughed at her, and went to take a picture to post here before moving the fridge to get her, but as soon as she saw me stick my hand and phone behind the fridge, she scrabbled her way out, ruining my chance to get a funny picture :saddowns:

Now she's covered in dust and very indignant.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

kw0134 posted:

I can't imagine what kind of mechanical action is required to make that sort of sound with a soft substance like a cooked pea; that almost sounds like something is not right with her chewing motion. But that usually causes cats to have other symptoms like drooling or avoidance of food, which is expressly not happening. If she's otherwise normal maybe it's just cat being cat, and you can ask your vet on her next scheduled physical. If she starts avoiding food then you take her to the vet asap, but for now :shrug:

I'll put it down to cat being cat then. She eats my fingers just fine too.

https://i.imgur.com/ExCaoyg.mp4

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Katt posted:

I'll put it down to cat being cat then. She eats my fingers just fine too.

https://i.imgur.com/ExCaoyg.mp4

I can confirm that pictured is a Good Cat.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Any tips on keeping the cats off the counters and dining table?

The tinfoil doesn't work, they think jumping on it is the best game ever. They also seem to think that when I catch them on the table and (gently) toss them away, its the 2nd best game ever.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Just don't have anything interesting on there for them and ignore them when they're there? You can also try sssscat or the vacuum cleaner trick (leave vacuum nearby unplugged but switched to on, plug in when they jump up) but ymmv on if those work and how long the association between jump up = bad/scary lasts.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
https://i.imgur.com/mGuUKZm.gifv

Annath fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jan 28, 2019

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

Annath posted:

Any tips on keeping the cats off the counters and dining table?

The tinfoil doesn't work, they think jumping on it is the best game ever. They also seem to think that when I catch them on the table and (gently) toss them away, its the 2nd best game ever.

Double sided tape for awhile?

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Camo kitty

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
My cat's a dumb rear end in a top hat with FLUTD/FIC/other pissues and I started my day off wrong by trying to administer the last anti inflammatory pill she was prescribed and the fight went so poorly it fell into the god drat trash can.

I don't feel lucky enough to think that I won't have to pill her again in her lifetime. Does anyone have any specific recommendations for pill popping devices? I was looking at this one, but if anyone has any specific recommendations I'd really appreciate it.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Fortis posted:

My cat's a dumb rear end in a top hat with FLUTD/FIC/other pissues and I started my day off wrong by trying to administer the last anti inflammatory pill she was prescribed and the fight went so poorly it fell into the god drat trash can.

I don't feel lucky enough to think that I won't have to pill her again in her lifetime. Does anyone have any specific recommendations for pill popping devices? I was looking at this one, but if anyone has any specific recommendations I'd really appreciate it.

I haven't had to give pills to these new kittens, and my previous wonderful old cat was the calmest, gentlest soul ever, but we'd stick her pills in a piece of cheese or a spoonful of wet food, and she'd gobble it up :shrug:

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

Annath posted:

I haven't had to give pills to these new kittens, and my previous wonderful old cat was the calmest, gentlest soul ever, but we'd stick her pills in a piece of cheese or a spoonful of wet food, and she'd gobble it up :shrug:

Yeah, I wish Stella was like that, I really do. She won't eat anything but dry food and greenies; she won't even eat the greenies pill pockets. She scorns actual meat and wet food, too. The vet tech told us that most cats just eat these pills willingly, but nope, not Stella. So I have to resort to trickery. Bamboozlement is my only weapon now. She's got a brain the size of a walnut and she only weighs 10 pounds but I have to buy specialized equipment to outsmart her. This is what my life has become.

Edit: cat in question because hey it's the cat thread

Fortis fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Jan 28, 2019

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Organza Quiz posted:

Just don't have anything interesting on there for them and ignore them when they're there? You can also try sssscat or the vacuum cleaner trick (leave vacuum nearby unplugged but switched to on, plug in when they jump up) but ymmv on if those work and how long the association between jump up = bad/scary lasts.

This only works until they realize that your presence signals the vacuum cleaner - cats are smart and will pick up that if you or the vacuum isn't there, they can jump with impunity. It just forces them to be sneakier, not stop.

zakharov posted:

Double sided tape for awhile?

This is what I use clinically. I get a thin sheet of cardboard or a thin, clear plastic cutting board and line it with strips of double-sided tape. Its hard for the cat to detect before the jump, is thoroughly unpleasant while not causing them pain or risking injury, and can be easily moved when you need to use the counter.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Dienes posted:

This only works until they realize that your presence signals the vacuum cleaner - cats are smart and will pick up that if you or the vacuum isn't there, they can jump with impunity. It just forces them to be sneakier, not stop.

This is what I use clinically. I get a thin sheet of cardboard or a thin, clear plastic cutting board and line it with strips of double-sided tape. Its hard for the cat to detect before the jump, is thoroughly unpleasant while not causing them pain or risking injury, and can be easily moved when you need to use the counter.

I'll try that. We'll see how well this works since I'm out of the house 3 days a week :v:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I have the SSSCat and will recommend it for scaring cats away from certain places.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cphGWOPi0k

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

Fortis posted:

Yeah, I wish Stella was like that, I really do.

If you're stuck jamming them in there, get really good at purritoing (everyone should practice it for fun, really) and Google pictures of how to grip their head. Basically get them swaddled, grip the top of their head or behind their neck so you can stick two fingers in each side of their mouth till it pinches open, then shove the pill in REAL deep, like deeper than you want to, the hold that poo poo shut like a gator. It'll stress you out and make you feel bad but kitty usually forgets within ten minutes or so. Add a syringe of water through the teeth after to force the swallow if you want. They make pill grippers but I've never had much luck with them, but I could see how they might avoid bites of you can get it in deep without the pill coming out of the loose rubber grips and getting spit out.

Super cute kitten btw.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

ILL Machina posted:

If you're stuck jamming them in there, get really good at purritoing (everyone should practice it for fun, really) and Google pictures of how to grip their head. Basically get them swaddled, grip the top of their head or behind their neck so you can stick two fingers in each side of their mouth till it pinches open, then shove the pill in REAL deep, like deeper than you want to, the hold that poo poo shut like a gator. It'll stress you out and make you feel bad but kitty usually forgets within ten minutes or so. Add a syringe of water through the teeth after to force the swallow if you want. They make pill grippers but I've never had much luck with them, but I could see how they might avoid bites of you can get it in deep without the pill coming out of the loose rubber grips and getting spit out.

Super cute kitten btw.

She is a precious, cute little bean, even if she drives me completely insane. :arghfist::3:

Thank you for the advice! I'll probably start working with my wife to get better at making Stella purritos so we can do more with meds down the line. I'm still on the fence on pill shooters, mainly because a lot of reviews say that the shooters ejected some component along with the pill and the cat swallowed it, which is loving terrifying, so I guess if we do have to give her more pills I'll start out trying to do it by hand.

The vet said we could hold off on the last pill until the results of the urine culture came back, which will be Wednesday. At that point we'll know if it's a UTI or not-a-UTI-and-probably-FIC-again. In the meantime, I have to squirt buprenorphine into her mouth, which is considerably easier than pilling and something I've had to do every other time there's been an FIC flare-up. Stella started showing symptoms again this morning (mainly frequent, short pees) but in the past when her FIC flared up, that continued even while she was on her course of buprenorphine, so I guess we'll just see how the culture turns out. Since FIC is thought to be caused by stress, in the meantime I'll stock up on Feliway diffuser refills and hope for the best.

:sigh: Cats.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I've had to pill my fair share of cats and they always fight it. It's really just a practice thing. You'll figure out where to press to open their jaw and then you just jam it in there and hold it shut, exactly like a gator like ILL Machina said. It will stress you out at first but it will just become another daily or whatever ritual while the catto needs medicine.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
We’ve had our new kitten, Gonzo, for about three weeks now. Our resident cat, Olive, has adjusted relatively well. She hissed at him through a closed door while he was quarantined in our guest room for the first few days, but they are coexisting now.

Gonzo has an insane motor and is constantly darting everywhere, getting into everything, stealing toys from Olive, etc. He usually initiates their wrestling matches and while she enjoys them from time to time, he’s always the one who takes it too far and provokes an eventual hiss. She’s less playful and vocal than she was previously and we can’t tell if she’s just intimidated by his energy or is legitimately depressed that someone else is monopolizing our attention.

Olive generally slept in bed with us before Gonzo arrived, but he will wrestle with her and intimidate her at night so that only he can be in bed with us. The end result is that unless we have him sleep in the guest room with the door closed, Olive can’t get onto the bed with us. I have no way of knowing how much this actually matters to her, but she immediately takes advantage when she has the chance.

How have you all handled these older cat/new kitten dynamics? I’m trying to reassure my fiancée that Gonzo will calm down and their energy levels will fall more in line as he grows up, but I also don’t want to allow him to get into habits that will carry into adulthood.

Side note - I know that keeping an “Olive-only” high spot is a common recommendation, but our ceilings are pretty low and I legitimately have no idea how we can come up with a spot that she can get to and he can’t. He’s insanely daring and I’ve already seen him make jumps that Olive has never even attempted.

While I’m here, I’ll toss in another endorsement for the SureFeed microchip pet feeder. Works like a charm and prevents Gonzo from eating Olive’s prescription food (and vice-versa because of course they like each other’s food).

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Personally I resolved this through separating our cat and kitten for feeding time and using the opportunity to get in solo play and cuddles for the OG cat.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
Yah, and if the older one can claim a top shelf of a tree or something, they'll stay there and be able to see and defend themselves, even if the other cat can claim the post to get there.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Our apartment has heat included in rent and we don't pay a dime for it.

How warm should I set the thermostat to keep the rear end in a top hat and bean warm and comfy tomorrow when the temp is supposed to be -20?

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
Pill update: I rinsed off the last pill, crushed up some greenies and temptations, added a tiny bit of water, and smothered the pill in the makeshift treat batter. I put it in Stella's food bowl and waited.

She ate it. :owned:

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Synthbuttrange posted:

I have the SSSCat and will recommend it for scaring cats away from certain places.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cphGWOPi0k

This worked for one of my kittens but the other one treated it like a problem to solve. It eventually mapped out the exact limits of the spray and then would inch around so he could ambush the can and knock it over. He ran it out of air in a couple weeks.

It did kinda work since I wanted them to stop screwing around with the cords behind the TV and his war against the can made him forget about the cords so far.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Yeah for a clever cat you may have to shift it around a bit, but for mine just having it in sight now is enough to deter them from a spot.

Sarern
Nov 4, 2008

:toot:
Won't you take me to
Bomertown?
Won't you take me to
BONERTOWN?

My Ssscat works like a charm when it's in place. I had thought that eventually it would teach them to avoid the area, but no. When I remove it, they go right back. If I want my idiots to avoid the area, I need to keep buying refills.

talktapes
Apr 14, 2007

You ever hear of the neutron bomb?

Well Butters got snipped a couple of weeks ago and hit his 5th month birthday last Saturday, so I feel like we've hit a milestone. Looking forward to not paying monthly vet bills for the foreseeable future. Obligatory cat tax:

A Good Boy

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Sarern posted:

My Ssscat works like a charm when it's in place. I had thought that eventually it would teach them to avoid the area, but no. When I remove it, they go right back. If I want my idiots to avoid the area, I need to keep buying refills.

Are they deterred by the spray or the beep? Mine just run like hell when it starts beeping, so I just left it on an empty can. :v

It works with a regular can of compressed air too if you buy those from office stores for cheaper.

Sarern
Nov 4, 2008

Won't you take me to
Bomertown?
Won't you take me to
BONERTOWN?

Synthbuttrange posted:

Are they deterred by the spray or the beep? Mine just run like hell when it starts beeping, so I just left it on an empty can. :v

It works with a regular can of compressed air too if you buy those from office stores for cheaper.

Mine doesn't beep, I don't think. It just sprays. Thanks for telling me about regular cans though, I'll have to try that!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Might be different models, but mine has beep only, beep and spray and spray only settings.

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

I just got a job at a cat shelter it's great check out these Felv fatties
https://twitter.com/The_Real_Killer/status/1090440097252761600

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.

talktapes posted:

A Good Boy

Gorgeous! Looks like he wants to bite my fingers!

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Our 4 monthish year old cat started randomly meowing loudly and obnoxiously over the past few days. She's acting fine otherwise and is still playful and acting as her normal self. Any ideas what might be up? I'm thinking she's possibly in heat but I thought that happened closer to 6 months.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

wandler20 posted:

Our 4 monthish year old cat started randomly meowing loudly and obnoxiously over the past few days. She's acting fine otherwise and is still playful and acting as her normal self. Any ideas what might be up? I'm thinking she's possibly in heat but I thought that happened closer to 6 months.

Is she not spayed? Get that done immediately.

If she is spayed, then is cat.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Pollyanna posted:

Is she not spayed? Get that done immediately.

If she is spayed, then is cat.

Not spayed. Adoption place said to do it around 6 months. I'll call the vet today.

Edit: Appointment scheduled, but the earliest they had was Feb. 11th.

wandler20 fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jan 30, 2019

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Well, I’d also defer to the rest of the thread for advice on that front. IANAVet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
Yeah, at my local SPCA they spay/neuter cats as soon as they're big enough to handle the anesthesia (which is about 2lbs weight, so typically between 8 and 12 weeks).