Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
Go to bed, Arist. YHVH knows you need it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Booky posted:

Are you planning on taking a break after this? :v:

:actually:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

:stonk:

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

I'm looking forward to your battle ahead.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

why

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
talk about jumping on a grenade

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

You deserve better than this if this means what I think it does.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Tbf, he still has a bonus boss to go after, so he might just be referring to that.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

:ohdear: oh no

Sordas Volantyr
Jan 11, 2015

Now, everybody, walk like a Jekhar.

(God, these running animations are terrible.)
I don't like where this is going

Arist please, you deserve better than this

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

i'm afraid to ask

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

the character is form Yiik - a god awful indie game that's the worst in white nerdbro navelgazing with zero self-awareness and among other things used a woman's real life death for cheap drama.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
So it's Pokemon Reborn without the Pokemon?

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
There are 2 videos that demonstrate what the game is like, but I'm worried that might spoil how special the game is.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Mraagvpeine posted:

There are 2 videos that demonstrate what the game is like, but I'm worried that might spoil how special the game is.

this one is neither of those two but summarizes adequately

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcLPNGLRHU8

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
The only things I've heard about it was an RPGFan review that said it wasn't perfect but it wasn't bad either.

http://www.rpgfan.com/reviews/YIIK_A_Postmodern_RPG/index.html

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

Mraagvpeine posted:

I'm not sure if I've seen one of those videos ("how did this game get made") but from watching that one video, I think I have a decent idea.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

Robindaybird posted:

the character is form Yiik - a god awful indie game that's the worst in white nerdbro navelgazing with zero self-awareness and among other things used a woman's real life death for cheap drama.

It's...extremely pretentious, lacks any self-awareness and likes to poo poo on everything you like. So, basically a game from an unlikable person who uses himself as a Self-Insert protagonist.

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica
Just wanted to say thanks for slogging through P5 so I didn't have to. I just binged this LP over the last month and as someone who played P4 (while funemployed) it was exactly what I wanted.

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

Robindaybird posted:

and among other things used a woman's real life death for cheap drama.

...excuse me?

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Junpei posted:

The only things I've heard about it was an RPGFan review that said it wasn't perfect but it wasn't bad either.

http://www.rpgfan.com/reviews/YIIK_A_Postmodern_RPG/index.html

You were lied to.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Blue Labrador posted:

...excuse me?

https://www.gamerevolution.com/news/485525-yiik-a-postmodern-rpg-elisa-lam-death

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
All this Jojo talk has made me wonder about something. Is there potential for a crazy world-hopping Persona game somewhere, or are they all going to be stuck in urban fantasy?

Regardless, thanks so much for all your work, Arist. I hope you can enjoy whatever you do next.

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

Yikes man. If that's the moment that provides the thematic premise of the entire game and is treated with a deserving amount of weight (and tact!), that's one thing, but if it's just a single moment and kinda shoehorned in there...

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Blue Labrador posted:

Yikes man. If that's the moment that provides the thematic premise of the entire game and is treated with a deserving amount of weight (and tact!), that's one thing, but if it's just a single moment and kinda shoehorned in there...
Sorry, This Dragon, Cancer it is not.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Glazius posted:

All this Jojo talk has made me wonder about something. Is there potential for a crazy world-hopping Persona game somewhere, or are they all going to be stuck in urban fantasy?

Regardless, thanks so much for all your work, Arist. I hope you can enjoy whatever you do next.

Persona 5 was allegedly planned to be more of a globe hopping adventure in early development; with the Hawaii trip/ associated "The Phantom Thieves are becoming famous worldwide" dialogues and the Egyptian pyramid themed dungeon as some leftovers from that stage.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Arist, no! :stonk:

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
I curse you
Morbid fascination of mine!

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I'm also playing through Persona 5 partly because of this playthrough; I'm in the middle of Sae's Palace. I'm having fun playing it and my SO is having fun making fun of it.

Taberquol
Jun 16, 2012

I just finished plowing through the LP in 4 days.

First, that wasn't a good idea.

Second, it was worth it for Lala-chan and Mega-Gun Mega-Satan.

Thanks for doing the LP, Arist.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

yeah uh you know what never mind

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

OH THANK GOD

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

That's not an act of cowardice. I'm not "backing down." It's just that in the time since I posted that, two separate LPs of YIIK went up and.... nah. I'm not saying I can't LP a game someone else is doing; this LP started while someone else was doing another short-lived VLP of P5. I wish both of the YIIK LPers the best, all power to them. But right now, thinking about it, it feels awful conceited to look at those other threads and think that I personally have something substantive to add here. My choices there are go loving batshit with it and take it in an absurd direction I haven't even thought of, or just abandon it. I could totally do something amazing here. But the entire time, I would be stressing out constantly about how everything I'm showing had been recently seen twice over. The effort it would take to make this game interesting isn't really worth my time, nor my anxiety.

We don't need three LPs of a game within a month of release. I would be redundant at best. On top of that, joining in on the hate bandwagon is just kind of mean at this point. Don't get me wrong, the game's terrible. It's completely insufferable pretty much immediately. But that just means if I can't provide a good justification, it's going to suck that much more. So, no thanks. I only did an hour of recording though, and hadn't even taken any screenshots yet, so not really much lost there. I can even still refund it. No harm no foul, I guess. Might figure out some way to use this footage I already have, but might not.

As for Persona 5 itself, I will get working on some of that bonus content while I try to figure out some alternative ideas. Don't get your hopes up on any of that coming in the very near future, though. I'm pretty busy right now and probably won't even be able to record until Thursday, and I have a lot of recording to do before I can even get into any of the poo poo I would want to show.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
Not playing a lovely game isn't an act of cowardice, dude. No clue where you got that idea.

You just powered through a long game here and finished an LP. Most if not all your readers are pretty happy and anything more is just gravy. Don't overthink it.

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer
There's also the option of just like, take a month for yourself.
you did amazing work here, and you deserve a break if you want. no rush for your next one, we'll be eagerly waiting :)

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Hey, Arist here. How've you all been? That's great. I'm in the middle of a depressive episode, but other than that it's all good. Have not started working on any of those bonus updates yet, sorry. But why am I here, then? Well, back in 2011, Katsura Hashino (who, as you'll recall, went on to direct P5! Wow!) directed a little game for Atlus called Catherine, and they're rereleasing it with loads of new content on September 3rd! Cool, right?

Do not loving buy Catherine: Full Body. I'm serious. The poo poo I'm hearing is bad enough that part of me doesn't even want to continue touching this game.

Hope you have a lovely day!

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Hey, feel better man.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Depressive episodes suck. Hope you work through it. Also...do I even want to know what's wrong with the Catherine re-release? Your description makes it sound bad and the game didn't exactly have the best reputation to start with.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Alkydere posted:

Also...do I even want to know what's wrong with the Catherine re-release? Your description makes it sound bad and the game didn't exactly have the best reputation to start with.

The new content is apparently very very transphobic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
E: Nevermind, this is garbage. Burn it to the ground

Kurieg fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Feb 16, 2019