Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

I really like XV a lot, I’ve been playing it off and on for a few months, but am not far into it at all. I’ve got to meet Iris in Lestallum right now but I keep going on hunts and driving around listening to the Red Wings theme.

I’ve never piloted a barge in real life, but if I did I bet i’d be a lot better at driving the Regalia. That thing is ridic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Oxxidation posted:

could have gotten aranea or at least some more development from luna but no, let's watch the bipedal shonky shop smug it up some more

I'm glad they made the right choice over everyone's new favorite bland waifu and Noctis's Beard.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Jesus, I finally got the Gran Pulse in FF13 and this game is hard as gently caress for a Final Fantasy game. And even long before Gran Pulse I don't think I've been able to autopilot through most battles after hour ten or so. It's really helped me appreciate the game that much more, even regular battles can keep you engaged and force you to choose the right paradigms and adjust them accordingly. It has some frustrating difficulty spikes though good lord.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

DrNutt posted:

Jesus, I finally got the Gran Pulse in FF13 and this game is hard as gently caress for a Final Fantasy game. And even long before Gran Pulse I don't think I've been able to autopilot through most battles after hour ten or so. It's really helped me appreciate the game that much more, even regular battles can keep you engaged and force you to choose the right paradigms and adjust them accordingly. It has some frustrating difficulty spikes though good lord.

You're best bet to not get merced by big animals is to follow the Cei'th Stone hunt quests in numerical order until you unlock the fasttravel one.
Then just push on to Oerba.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

You're best bet to not get merced by big animals is to follow the Cei'th Stone hunt quests in numerical order until you unlock the fasttravel one.
Then just push on to Oerba.

I did the first two but got curb stomped by some enemies blocking the way to the third one so I just went on my way to the next story checkpoint and now I'm in a mine with much easier enemies (except for a secret enemy behind a big door that killed me in like 1.2 seconds, congrats on the five star combat rating buddy). This is the farthest I've ever gotten in this game so I am hoping I can still go back and do more hunts later.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

DrNutt posted:

I did the first two but got curb stomped by some enemies blocking the way to the third one so I just went on my way to the next story checkpoint and now I'm in a mine with much easier enemies (except for a secret enemy behind a big door that killed me in like 1.2 seconds, congrats on the five star combat rating buddy). This is the farthest I've ever gotten in this game so I am hoping I can still go back and do more hunts later.

Basically at any point in the final chapter and post game you can. The chapter between the end of you current and the final one you can't IIRC. So have some fun now, rush through the chapter then come back.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
started episode ignis' "friendly match" thinking it would be another pushover like the cor battle

welp

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

DrNutt posted:

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Basically at any point in the final chapter and post game you can. The chapter between the end of you current and the final one you can't IIRC. So have some fun now, rush through the chapter then come back.
The trick is fast travel is hidden behind the first block of hunts so doing it in the open Pulse chapter(s?) without doing it on your way will involve hours of backtracking.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

zedprime posted:

The trick is fast travel is hidden behind the first block of hunts so doing it in the open Pulse chapter(s?) without doing it on your way will involve hours of backtracking.

So I should probably head back out of the mines and try to unlock fast travel, then move on? I should be able to stock up on some deceptisol and make it happen.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

DrNutt posted:

There are no hard Final Fantasy games.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Electric Phantasm posted:

Was it Arenea who becomes a demon hunter?

i think pretty much everyone you meet in the entire game becomes a demon hunter but the one who's specifically mentioned is iris

rip episode vyv

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Gologle posted:

Edgar's pretty hard in FF6.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Gologle posted:

I'm sorry, did I loving stutter?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

DrNutt posted:

I'm sorry, did I loving stutter?

i know it seems like gologle is insulting you but it just randomly happened to arrange those words in the correct order to sound like it

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
one hidden challenge of playing FFXV with the Nixperience Band is trying to cash in at juuuust the right time to hit the sweet spot between "overleveled" and "i am become boyband, destroyer of worlds"

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

this unironically

dude wanted to name Cait Sith something that fit into the setting and decided to go with Totallynotatraitor Jones

He wanted to completely replace Cait Sith with his Original Character Do Not Steal. His reason for it was because he thought Cait Sith was some last minute addition to the game, among other insanely bad opinions they have about the game.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Gologle posted:

13 is hard because it doesn't lead the player to play the way it's "built" to be played. (which is part of the reason this thread loves it so much! if you know how to play it it goes real fast.)

3 DS is hard because it's incredibly shittily balanced, even relative to 3 NES's "there's no save points in the final dungeon".

2 NES is hard because if you don't know how to exploit the select-cancel stuff or have maps of the dungeons going in, you're going to be in for one hell of a slog.

The fact that there are fifteen mainline FF games and I have to cherry pick small reasons and specific versions means that, ultimately, I'm agreeing with Gologle someone shoot me now

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I thought 4 DS was really hard but I never played the original

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Help Im Alive posted:

I thought 4 DS was really hard but I never played the original

4DS isn't so much hard as there are a handful of bullshit enemies that don't follow the power curve established by the rest of the game

Said curve, while on average more difficult than the original, is also easily flattened out with some clever augment combos

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Coughing Hobo posted:

4DS isn't so much hard as there are a handful of bullshit enemies that don't follow the power curve established by the rest of the game

Said curve, while on average more difficult than the original, is also easily flattened out with some clever augment combos

First time I tried playing that I hoarded augments like I did elixirs, not knowing what to do with them. Oops.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

DACK FAYDEN posted:

13 is hard because it doesn't lead the player to play the way it's "built" to be played. (which is part of the reason this thread loves it so much! if you know how to play it it goes real fast.)

13 is also genuinely challenging, because for the majority of the main story you have a hard cap on your power, so you can't just grind your rear end off to effortlessly kill a boss.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Coughing Hobo posted:

4DS is extremely hard for someone who has no idea about the game, because they'd have no idea about the augment system and who leaves the party permanently and when.

There's 'this game is difficult for someone to get into', and 'this game is difficult even when I've prepared myself for it'.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit
What I didn't like about the augment system was that some augments only become available if you assign a certain number of augments by certain points in the game. For someone familiar with the older versions, you might be inclined to hold onto to specific augments to give to characters that might benefit from them better, however, you'll permanently miss out on other augments by doing so. The game never tells you this and you would never know unless someone told you.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Shoren posted:

The game never tells you this and you would never know unless someone told you.

Thread title truth

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

For all the faults with 4DS, it is the only game I know that rewards me for filling in map squares and so I'll always appreciate it.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Shoren posted:

What I didn't like about the augment system was that some augments only become available if you assign a certain number of augments by certain points in the game. For someone familiar with the older versions, you might be inclined to hold onto to specific augments to give to characters that might benefit from them better, however, you'll permanently miss out on other augments by doing so. The game never tells you this and you would never know unless someone told you.

I'm sorry but this is pretty necessary because it provides an incentive to actually use the system before getting the final party to people who know how the game's story goes.

If this wasn't the case than you would not engage with the system at all until the very end of the game.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

ApplesandOranges posted:

4DS is extremely hard for someone who has no idea about the game, because they'd have no idea about the augment system and who leaves the party permanently and when.

There's 'this game is difficult for someone to get into', and 'this game is difficult even when I've prepared myself for it'.

That's an extremely fair point, 4DS is super not friendly to newcomers

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Dr Pepper posted:

I'm sorry but this is pretty necessary because it provides an incentive to actually use the system before getting the final party to people who know how the game's story goes.

If this wasn't the case than you would not engage with the system at all until the very end of the game.

Except the point of the post you quoted was that if you do fall for that very trap and miss out on Augments, the game tells you nothing, so you don't see that there is an incentive and do keep doing exactly the thing the system is supposed to make you not.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

AlphaKretin posted:

Except the point of the post you quoted was that if you do fall for that very trap and miss out on Augments, the game tells you nothing, so you don't see that there is an incentive and do keep doing exactly the thing the system is supposed to make you not.

So?

What's wrong with it being a secret? A reward to a player who experimented?

You don't need to 100% the game to complete it.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Dr Pepper posted:

So?

So wait you argument is that they had to do it to get players to engage with it but it's fine that it doesn't tell you so you don't engage with it and that's fine because it's a reward for those that did.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

For all the faults with 4DS, it is the only game I know that rewards me for filling in map squares and so I'll always appreciate it.

star ocean 3

:suicide:

Dr Pepper posted:

So?

FF4-DS kind of has a weird punishment aspect to it too though where you can only NG+ two times ever and that is IT

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Persona 2 Eternal Punishment does this.

And as good as the rewards are, it is incredibly loving tedious.

Besson
Apr 20, 2006

To the sun's savage brightness he exposed the dark and secret surface of his retinas, so that by burning the memory of vengeance might be preserved, and never perish.
I’m playing Final Fantasy XV for the first time and while the plot is a mess and there seems to be five side missions recycled over and over, the road trip/ friendship aspects are carrying me through.

I’m sympathetic to Noctis being shallow and self centred, because I’m enjoying the pay off where he is becoming an adult and taking responsibility. Not ground breaking character development by any means, but still fun to watch over the course of 50 plus hours.

I could not tell you why Ardyn hates Noctis, or why he doesn’t just kill him when he has the chance. This is not an easy plot to follow. I’m also playing with subs so not sure how that is affecting my experience.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I just remembered that SO3 had achievements like five years before achievements were even a thing.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
the achievement page also perplexingly takes up 1mb when the game save itself only uses like 72kb

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

The SO3 achievements are cool because they actually do something, unlocking things like costumes and harder difficulty levels.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

I want to like FFXV more than I do, it's a beautiful mess of a game. Those early chapters driving around these beautiful wilderness areas with banter flying back and forth between the group as Final Fantasy tunes play on the car radio are fantastic, and there's definitely the skeleton of an interesting world and story there - I'd probably play a FFXV-2 to see what happens in the same world after the conclusion of the game, and I enjoyed all the DLC episodes immensely to flesh out the characters. That said I found the combat dull and repetitive and eventually ended up just setting it to the lowest difficulty so that I could blow through it quicker, and I played with the Royal Edition perks and only about a month ago - from what I've read around the internet the game was far less polished when it first released.

But the game just can't keep together under it's own weight. As soon as the story kicks into high gear and you enter whatever chapter it is (6? 7?) where you get on the boat, everything locks down and just becomes a trudge towards the finish. It's also super frustrating that [Massive Plot Spoilers] Noctis after the 10 year timeskip seems like such a better character and it's a shame that instead of getting any real moments of development between his whiny teen self to his confident young king persona in the World of Ruin, it just all happens off-screen in a timeskip.

I still enjoyed it, but I don't see myself replaying it for a long while - Episode Ardyn excepted as I'm curious as to what they've done with it. Once I'm done with Kingdom Hearts 3 I think I'm going to finish either FFIX or FFX.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
FFXV always seemed to want me to believe noct was a lot whinier than he actually was

kid kept it together pretty good considering all the poo poo that kept getting dumped on him, but whoops here's the Bipedal Abs telling him to get over his fiancee being shivved in front of him like two weeks ago

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Besson posted:

I’m playing Final Fantasy XV for the first time and while the plot is a mess and there seems to be five side missions recycled over and over, the road trip/ friendship aspects are carrying me through.

I’m sympathetic to Noctis being shallow and self centred, because I’m enjoying the pay off where he is becoming an adult and taking responsibility. Not ground breaking character development by any means, but still fun to watch over the course of 50 plus hours.

I could not tell you why Ardyn hates Noctis, or why he doesn’t just kill him when he has the chance. This is not an easy plot to follow. I’m also playing with subs so not sure how that is affecting my experience.

To me Ardyn is basically 'more confusing Seymour'. He's such an obvious villain as soon as he first appears, except his motives are a complete enigma til the end of the game and even then I'm not chomping at the bit to go fight him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

ApplesandOranges posted:

To me Ardyn is basically 'more confusing Seymour'. He's such an obvious villain as soon as he first appears, except his motives are a complete enigma til the end of the game and even then I'm not chomping at the bit to go fight him.

Trust no one who wears a fedora and a goony scarf