Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Sagebrush posted:

Are there no V8s that use forked conrods like a Harley-Davidson so that the cylinders can be perfectly aligned with one another?

Even if there aren't any mass-produced engines with that configuration, I'd be surprised if no one has ever done it with actual motorcycle parts just to say they had. A cruiser with a custom 7.2L "Harley-Davidson" V8 made from four v-twins would probably sell instantly for six figures.

How the hell would you cool it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
by posting it on my IG and please slam like and subscribe on my youtubes?

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
The not quite as it should be editions:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_N8R8Y9xk4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJ-QNMBtiEo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1LdqzZeI-0

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

Sagebrush posted:

Are there no V8s that use forked conrods like a Harley-Davidson so that the cylinders can be perfectly aligned with one another?

Even if there aren't any mass-produced engines with that configuration, I'd be surprised if no one has ever done it with actual motorcycle parts just to say they had. A cruiser with a custom 7.2L "Harley-Davidson" V8 made from four v-twins would probably sell instantly for six figures.

The 1916 Cadillac Type 53 Edd China worked on in his last Wheeler Dealers was built like that. Had a crank block w/bolt on cylinders iirc. First production car w/v8, required the first decent electric starter to make it feasible.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

MrYenko posted:

How the hell would you cool it?

who cares, it's only going 3 miles down the road to the bar anyway

(I read a few years ago that the average american motorcycle owner rides slightly less than 1000 miles per year)

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Sagebrush posted:

(I read a few years ago that the average american motorcycle owner rides slightly less than 1000 miles per year)

It's me, I'm the bad American motorcyclist. But also the drivers in my city are murderous/unattentive, and I prefer to just do track days. I should probably sell my bike and just get something with race plastics and no title.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

MetaJew posted:

It's me, I'm the bad American motorcyclist. But also the drivers in my city are murderous/unattentive, and I prefer to just do track days. I should probably sell my bike and just get something with race plastics and no title.

It's me, I was the bad American motorcyclist. I sold mine because I concussed myself eating poo poo at a trackday on my GSXR750 then managed to eat poo poo on my R6 900mi away from home at Thunderhill a year or two later. Finished that day on my Tuono, fixed the R6 and did one more day just to prove to myself that I could. I then decided that was the end of rolling the dice for me and sold everything off.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Sagebrush posted:

My bike is a 78 with 12k miles on it and 50 are mine. I've had it for over 2 years.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

BlackMK4 posted:

It's me, I was the bad American motorcyclist. I sold mine because I concussed myself eating poo poo at a trackday on my GSXR750 then managed to eat poo poo on my R6 900mi away from home at Thunderhill a year or two later. Finished that day on my Tuono, fixed the R6 and did one more day just to prove to myself that I could. I then decided that was the end of rolling the dice for me and sold everything off.

Were you the guy that racked up nearly a million dollars in bills for their crash (hopefully covered by insurance), or was that one of the other CA regulars?

I know I'll sell my bike one day when I have other people in my life that I care about more than my self loathing.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

I've only put a couple hundred miles on my bike over the past few years. I like riding but the weather here is garbage 10 months of the year and there aren't too many places worth riding to. Looks like I'm moving to Oregon though so maybe I'll get some more riding in out there.

TwoogBuk LLC
Jan 4, 2019

Peter Wherret road tests the 360 Hemi powered 1974 Valiant Charger in this episode of 'Torque' (Oct 1974)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6yAozhmp6E

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrysler_Valiant

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
^^owns

Best page for the best Porsche, post 'em if you got 'em. Click for bigs.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

As Nero Danced posted:

Were you the guy that racked up nearly a million dollars in bills for their crash (hopefully covered by insurance), or was that one of the other CA regulars?

I know I'll sell my bike one day when I have other people in my life that I care about more than my self loathing.

lol, that wasn't me. Maybe it was the Panther dude that lost an arm?

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

Let another's wounds be your warning
Speaking of putting on miles.

I bought my Coupe / Tiburon with 103k on the clock, knowing it needs a full service around 110k. I've put 2.5k on it since owning it this past August and now I dare touch the thing as I'm a small business owner with a downward trend in the winter so it's just sat there outside my apartment begging to be driven but I don't want to risk a timing belt snapping while i'm just about breaking even financially.

Summer can't come quick enough so i can triple my income, get the thing serviced, slap a new exhaust on it (multiple leaks from flex to muffler), new rubber on all the corners and then start driving it like I want.

The AI part of this post was buying a 13 year old, loving thirsty 2.7ltr V6, known for being horribly inefficient, where petrol costs as much per litre as it does per gallon in the states, calling it "just a thing i can drive while i build up a no claims discount" and hoping to trade it in a few years from now for a mid 00's, 5.0 V8 Mercedes CL500 when my insurance doesn't cost as much per year as the car does.

Living in England and having a passion for cars that are known to be money pits in both maintenance and just daily driving costs is a loving curse.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

dpack_1 posted:

Speaking of putting on miles.

I bought my Coupe / Tiburon with 103k on the clock, knowing it needs a full service around 110k. I've put 2.5k on it since owning it this past August and now I dare touch the thing as I'm a small business owner with a downward trend in the winter so it's just sat there outside my apartment begging to be driven but I don't want to risk a timing belt snapping while i'm just about breaking even financially.

Summer can't come quick enough so i can triple my income, get the thing serviced, slap a new exhaust on it (multiple leaks from flex to muffler), new rubber on all the corners and then start driving it like I want.

The AI part of this post was buying a 13 year old, loving thirsty 2.7ltr V6, known for being horribly inefficient, where petrol costs as much per litre as it does per gallon in the states, calling it "just a thing i can drive while i build up a no claims discount" and hoping to trade it in a few years from now for a mid 00's, 5.0 V8 Mercedes CL500 when my insurance doesn't cost as much per year as the car does.

Living in England and having a passion for cars that are known to be money pits in both maintenance and just daily driving costs is a loving curse.

That is the problem there. So many great, cheap used cars, great car culture, racetracks galore, great country roads... Can't afford any of it (and no space to park if you live in the city).

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

BlackMK4 posted:

lol, that wasn't me. Maybe it was the Panther dude that lost an arm?

Oh yeah, backpanther. That guy was special. After losing his right arm he decided to buy a manual lambo.

Actually I think I was thinking about Inu, when he crashed on a track and had to get airlifted.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Memento posted:

Best page for the best Porsche, post 'em if you got 'em.

otaku69
May 18, 2003

Darchangel posted:

Every day we don't get those is another day I hate the assholes that couldn't be bothered to not drive Samurai's like dipshits they were high center-of-gravity trucks and got them pulled from the US market. Jeep got pounded on by the same hammer, but were big and iconic enough to shrug it off.

edit: to be fair, I'm not certain that they'd meet crash safety or emissions in the US, but that's beside the point.

Nothing says you have to pass a crash test, you just need to get a rating, Abysmal is still a rating

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

BlackMK4 posted:

A buddy of mine went through the same thing. Ate poo poo after someone pulled out in front of him on the road, so he started tracking only. He was loving it until he ate poo poo twice, the first time not horrible, but soon after the second time he was out of commission and couldn't work for awhile. He sold everything and now travels to see MotoGP races and doesn't regret it at all.

He mentioned that he got too cocky on the track, thought he was Valentino Rossi chasing down guys in front of him, pushed it too far until he ate poo poo. I imagine unless you are content to just cruise around the track that's what happens to a lot of people.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I imagine some people that ride at the track do then get Billy Big Bollocks afterwards. I've driven my car on tracks but after the day is done I have it all out of my system and am happy to cruise home afterwards.

I do need a bike though.

otaku69
May 18, 2003
have a picture

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Ya'll making me look up used Porsches online, stop it.

Don't stop I'm almost there

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Memento posted:

^^owns

Best page for the best Porsche, post 'em if you got 'em. Click for bigs.

https://canepa.com/959sc/

Benefiting from three decades of technology advancement, the Porsche 959SC approaches 800 horsepower. Creating 75% more horsepower than a stock Porsche 959 with overall reliability remaining the same, the Porsche 959SC eclipses many modern supercars’ performance.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

TwoogBuk LLC
Jan 4, 2019

http://autohaushamilton.com.au

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

As Nero Danced posted:

Oh yeah, backpanther. That guy was special. After losing his right arm he decided to buy a manual lambo.

Actually I think I was thinking about Inu, when he crashed on a track and had to get airlifted.

I think Inu died of leukemia :(

At least he posted once or twice that he was dealing with that and had been given only x months to live, and then y months later he quit posting...

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
.....what the gently caress. He was the one with the 3rd gen R6 track bike with the yellow tank, right? :smith:

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
drat :( I had noticed that he hadn't done any of his indepth gear discussions in ages, but figured he'd just drifted away from motorcycling.

TwoogBuk LLC
Jan 4, 2019

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1940s-bellytank-lakester-bellytank-lakester/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtATI5UVicM

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

this car is in horizon 4, praise the lord

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Sagebrush posted:

Dammit, I just spent an hour trying to find a picture of a Hot Wheel that I know exists. It's a hot rod with a V-12 or V16 that I swear is made up of a series of Harley-style V-twins. IT could be an air-cooled aircraft engine, but I don't think so. Couldn't find it, but I have a wallpaper of it at home.

shy boy from chess club posted:

My bike is a 78 with 12k miles on it and 50 are mine. I've had it for over 2 years.

1980 Suzuki GS450L, 15K miles, maybe 100 are mine. Been parked for, uh, 18 years. After a dude changed lanes 2' in front of me then braked for a turn. Just touched his bumper and down I went. Thankfully was low-speed, and I was wearing a helmet. Sprained my wrist and skinned my knee. I was riding without a MC endorsement, and promised myself I'd take the MSF Course and get the endorsement before I rode again, and, whelp.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I got 350 on my bike before I pulled the front end apart and dicked something up and lost interest

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
ladyfrog has a eh 12 mile 2016 883 harley that she laid down once and got fixed.

*sigh*

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Darchangel posted:

Dammit, I just spent an hour trying to find a picture of a Hot Wheel that I know exists. It's a hot rod with a V-12 or V16 that I swear is made up of a series of Harley-style V-twins. IT could be an air-cooled aircraft engine, but I don't think so. Couldn't find it, but I have a wallpaper of it at home.

Found it! It's named "Slightly Modified":

Would actually be pretty slick of someone built a real one.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Cylinders 1-4: Nominal
Cylinders 5-6: Hot
Cylinders 7-8: Overheating
Cylinders 9-12: On fire

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Front Brakes: In corner of shop in a beaten up FedEx box.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Fucks given: none

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

um excuse me posted:

Front Brakes: In corner of shop in a beaten up FedEx box.

That mountain will stop it eventually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

how can you not post the follow up?