Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Doltos posted:

It's weird that Brooklyn 99 is so funny considering how many episodes they pump out per season.

I agree though a good amount of episodes for a season is 10-13ish.

Speaking of, B99 is 13 episodes this season after moving to NBC :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

silvergoose posted:

Read the thread title!

Yeah, they weren't going to renew then they saw Chidi without his shirt on and renewal was guaranteed.

Rumor is the postman outfit got them provisional approval for season 5.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Kazy posted:

Maybe just for this year, since it started mid-season?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Kazy posted:

It got the episode count upped to 18.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.
Scheduling b99 to start after Halloween is a war crime though.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.

silvergoose posted:

Read the thread title!

To be fair, if you didn’t know the show was already renewed, the thread title might sound like instructions/hope/wishful thinking rather than something that’s already happened.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Jingleheimer posted:

Also I think I remember reading that it's in Kristen Bell's contract that she won't do more than 13 episodes per season because she didn't want to be away from her family for too long.

She's willing to do a max of sixteen if the network orders the episodes, but NBC has been happy with 13.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

CaptainCaveman posted:

To be fair, if you didn’t know the show was already renewed, the thread title might sound like instructions/hope/wishful thinking rather than something that’s already happened.

I know, I know, but it was still amusing to me.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

ashpanash posted:

It's hard on the writers, /hard on the actors

I would think it was harder to have to get a part time job. Bell and Danson probably make good money but can the rest of the main cast live off of just 12 episode seasons? Can the writers?

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Is that a serious question?

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
can these poor celebrities make ends meet?

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

pile of brown posted:

Is that a serious question?

Very serious, I have no idea what tv actors make. Obviously Kristen Bell and Ted Danson are well known to the general public and can pick and choose between roles, and the paycheck reflects that but the rest of the cast is fairly unknown.
And even if they make plenty of money, can a tv writer live off of just doing a single 12 episode show?

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
the main cast are gonna be getting like 5-6 figs per episode

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.

Oasx posted:

And even if they make plenty of money, can a tv writer live off of just doing a single 12 episode show?

Wasn't this one of the major issues in the last Writer's Guild strikes?

Iirc it did not go well for them overall, but I don't know about that issue's resolution (no exclusive contracts for short seasons)

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

the main cast are gonna be getting like 5-6 figs per episode

I was thinking maybe 2-3000$ per episode, so clearly I was way off

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

I wouldn't be surprised if Bell and Danson are making 6 figures per episode. 5 might be more reasonable for the rest of the cast, but TV contracts are weird. Most prestige cable stars on stuff like HBO make like 250k-500k per episode. But then so do the main cast of Modern Family. The leads of the Big Bang Theory get literally like a million dollars per episode.

edit: random sites google gave me says Danson makes ~225k per ep and Bell makes ~125k. they guess that the rest of the cast makes ~60-75k based on the typical ranges for network show extended casts. there is no evidence for any of that but those numbers sound p believable.

Ror fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Jan 28, 2019

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Thranguy posted:

Wasn't this one of the major issues in the last Writer's Guild strikes?

Iirc it did not go well for them overall, but I don't know about that issue's resolution (no exclusive contracts for short seasons)

I can't remember how it ended up for them but it was a really solid argument. Like writing 12 episodes of Game of Thrones is more intensive than writing 23 episodes of like The Big Bang Theory so why should they be penalized because of the episode numbers.

Ror posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if Bell and Danson are making 6 figures per episode. 5 might be more reasonable for the rest of the cast, but TV contracts are weird. Most prestige cable stars on stuff like HBO make like 250k-500k per episode. But then so do the main cast of Modern Family. The leads of the Big Bang Theory get literally like a million dollars per episode.

edit: random sites google gave me says Danson makes ~225k per ep and Bell makes ~125k. they guess that the rest of the cast makes ~60-75k based on the typical ranges for network show extended casts. there is no evidence for any of that but those numbers sound p believable.

It's pretty hard to wrap your head around the idea that for every 20 minutes of content the actors of The Big Bang Theory rack up a million dollars. I mean, I'm not saying it's not well deserved since the studio is making billions off the show, but just think about going to a tv set, sitting on a couch, pretending to eat take out food, making some bad Star Wars jokes in front of a crowd, and then going home and seeing your bank account go up by a million dollars. It must be surreal.

1glitch0 fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Jan 28, 2019

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

the only way I can make sense of the highly inflated paycheck tv and movie stars receive is to look at it as an analogy to gambling. the odds of any random actor successfully acquiring the necessary skills, motivation, connections and plain old luck, is so small that the reward has to be worth the effort. Basically the successful actors are paid more to fool our monkey brains that "it'll be worth it when I win the big ticket".

edit: see also professional athletes.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
The rest of the cast and crew are likely free to engage in whatever side projects as long as it doesn't conflict with their work on the show, so I doubt this is anyone's only paycheck.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

It certainly isn't Kristen Bell's, she's off making more Veronica Mars right now!

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Actors and sports stars get paid millions of dollars because the people who own their networks or teams make much, much more.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

qirex posted:

Actors and sports stars get paid millions of dollars because the people who own their networks or teams make much, much more.

I think is was Charles Barkley who once said to Shaq after he said he was rich: "No, you are wealthy. The guy who signs your paycheck is rich."

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

swickles posted:

I think is was Charles Barkley who once said to Shaq after he said he was rich: "No, you are wealthy. The guy who signs your paycheck is rich."

That's from a Chris Rock bit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeOUty4SWvI

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Baronjutter posted:

Ted Danson was in the most recent Orville episode and it was a real stinker and his guest role was a total waste.

I can see Ted Danson as a poor man's Victor Garber... I mean Ted's never been nominated for a Tony has he?

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

I'm working on a small project and was hoping goons could throw some ideas my way. There are some objects tied to characters, like shrimp to Eleanor and giraffes to Tahani. What are some for Chidi? All I can think of are the boots or air conditioner. Maybe a muffin, or peeps?

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

subpar anachronism posted:

I'm working on a small project and was hoping goons could throw some ideas my way. There are some objects tied to characters, like shrimp to Eleanor and giraffes to Tahani. What are some for Chidi? All I can think of are the boots or air conditioner. Maybe a muffin, or peeps?

vests

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Almond milk.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Mordiceius posted:

Almond milk.

This or books.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Almond milk for sure.

I guess you didn't have to ask about Jason because you're already committed to Bortles.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

australian boots

ZRM
Nov 25, 2007

Stomachs and hats

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Wonder if she'll get some training on how to do an Australian accent before next year.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

iajanus posted:

Wonder if she'll get some training on how to do an Australian accent before next year.
The "correct" Australian accent is a lot of drooling and being eaten by bugs while saying racist poo poo about anyone who lives too far inward or outward from Australia's beautiful, stupid coasts. So I think the current iteration is best.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Chili and Peeps.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I was thinking Chidi’s glasses.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

his books. his beautiful philosopher books.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

The dot over the i.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Here's one I've just been thinking about.

Why did Tahani have no memory of her death in season 1? It's explained as the brain often forgets to protect itself, but that seems like too generous a thing for someone in any variation of the Bad Place. Was part of Michael's original plan that he would introduce it to Tahani down the line if he needed to knock her down a peg?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Senor Tron posted:

Here's one I've just been thinking about.

Why did Tahani have no memory of her death in season 1? It's explained as the brain often forgets to protect itself, but that seems like too generous a thing for someone in any variation of the Bad Place. Was part of Michael's original plan that he would introduce it to Tahani down the line if he needed to knock her down a peg?

Yes. He literally told her in season 2 that he was saving the circumstances of her death as a torture option.

Also I think the 'brain protecting itself' bit was just something Michael made up to explain away memory wiping the humans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

double nine posted:

his books. his beautiful philosopher books.

Yeah, this.

I'm not going to suggest almond milk because it was a thing in, what? One episode?