Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Avasculous posted:

I wonder if that's up to date. I googled and can't find any forum posts about it after June. I wasn't kidding, I pretty much use it every time Despair is at 2 or 3, since Elysium club actually is hit or miss and I'm almost positive I've never gotten a negative outcome.

Yeah I have it spawn off restlessness all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xyven
Jun 4, 2005

Check to induce a ban

Got the sensation major victory earlier tonight, it's definitely a big improvement over the minor victories. Pacing is way better because you start with a high rank lore that lets you upgrade your cultists to disciple right away. Only part that was actually unfun was slowly grinding up Port Noon anecdotes to get the last part I needed to finish the ritual.

I couldn't find any in-game hints on how to get the keyholder, and ended up looking it up online. Was I missing something or do you just have to trial and error to figure it out?

Also, after I killed the Long, I got a note that let me remove my connection to the old cult leader. Anybody try this to see what happens?

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

Xyven posted:

Also, after I killed the Long, I got a note that let me remove my connection to the old cult leader. Anybody try this to see what happens?
You get a regular Desire card of the same type so that you can do a standard victory and/or romance your followers.
Obviously, this will preclude you from getting a major victory in that playthrough.

Benly
Aug 2, 2011

20% of the time, it works every time.

Xyven posted:

Got the sensation major victory earlier tonight, it's definitely a big improvement over the minor victories. Pacing is way better because you start with a high rank lore that lets you upgrade your cultists to disciple right away.

Not necessarily. You get the desire's lore, not the cult's, so the Edge cult I had on a Power ascension got a high-tier Forge lore that was absolutely no use in actually building the cult. Inheriting an Assassin was a pretty nice perk, though.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
i beat this game very shortly after it was released. other than some annoying UX quirks and maybe a bit of tedium, i really enjoyed it. for some reason i own the dancer DLC (i dont think i played it). is it worth playing again now, has it gained enough content through that and patches, or would it be a good idea to wait a bit more

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Autonomous Monster posted:

The dev is pretty active on the discord. All the new apostle/new game+ content is already on there.

To be honest, it wouldn't surprise me if I didn't notice these bad outcomes. I usually find I have a very high awareness of what cards a tile produces as its output, but a much, much lower awareness of when tiles spawn other, new tiles (which is what's supposedly happening here). Especially when the board gets really hectic.

Ah, fair enough. I've probably just been lucky with it.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Got my grail apostle victory! :toot:

Think I'll do lantern next, I think with an offstat cult; still got a few I haven't done yet.

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008
Is it just me, or is Fascination the hardest thing to deal with? I haven't found a consistent way to generate Dread or Fleeting Reminisces, I don't think; and yes, I'd heard about the trick involving a Rival and Winter Lore. Y'know what that got me, the first and only time I've tried it? A Fascination! :mad:

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Ghost of Starman posted:

Is it just me, or is Fascination the hardest thing to deal with? I haven't found a consistent way to generate Dread or Fleeting Reminisces, I don't think; and yes, I'd heard about the trick involving a Rival and Winter Lore. Y'know what that got me, the first and only time I've tried it? A Fascination! :mad:

White Door. 2/3 chance of getting something that decays to fascination an 0 chance of Fascination.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
One way to generate on-demand Dread is to let Affliction or Injury decay and use the resulting card in a Work verb.

Downside: requires setup, the work cycle takes 90 seconds (can interfere with other plans) and you'll be down a Health.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Another option, if Visions aren't upon you yet, is to get a Buzzing in the Brain and study it with the fascination - fascination is a Moth influence, so they'll upgrade together into the next tier of Moth. After a minute it will degrade back to Buzzing and you can do it again.
You can do the same with Lantern influence (Moth subverts into Lantern) but they degrade back into Fascination so you'll have to either use it or subvert it further to Forge.

You can also spend influences like Fascination or Dread as trappings when recruiting cultists - the trappings don't actually have to contribute a useful aspect to get used up as long as you can otherwise do the ceremony. Same for Rituals that take influences.

vetinari100
Nov 8, 2009

> Make her pay.
You can also use Fascination to summon Raw Prophets , as long as it has not been snatched up by Visions yet.

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008
So it seems like you have to act a lot more proactively to keep Fascinations off the board, even if Visions isn't coming down the pipeline; there's no emergency "oh poo poo" button like Opium for Dread. Those were helpful suggestions, though; thank you for that.

vetinari100 posted:

You can also use Fascination to summon Raw Prophets , as long as it has not been snatched up by Visions yet.

Speaking of things I don't know how to do yet - I've done a lot of Studying, and I've only learned two actual Rites (to use with Work) - one of which sacrifices people, one of which sacrifices Lores, neither of which can use Influences/Resonances. I guess I don't really want any big spoilers, but do I have the basic gist of what I need to do at this stage?
Get Secret History Lores from the Mansus -> Explore them to find Expeditions -> Complete Expeditions to get Books, Tools, Ingredients-> Study Books (translating where necessary) to find Invocation Lores and Rites -> Use Invocations to climb higher in the Mansus -> ??? -> Profit?

Ghost of Starman fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jan 28, 2019

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
You can also Dance the Fascination away.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Verviticus posted:

i beat this game very shortly after it was released. other than some annoying UX quirks and maybe a bit of tedium, i really enjoyed it. for some reason i own the dancer DLC (i dont think i played it). is it worth playing again now, has it gained enough content through that and patches, or would it be a good idea to wait a bit more

IMHO, just use the console whenever there is something you consider too grindy.

vetinari100
Nov 8, 2009

> Make her pay.

Ghost of Starman posted:

So it seems like you have to act a lot more proactively to keep Fascinations off the board, even if Visions isn't coming down the pipeline; there's no emergency "oh poo poo" button like Opium for Dread. Those were helpful suggestions, though; thank you for that.

Speaking of things I don't know how to do yet - I've done a lot of Studying, and I've only learned two actual Rites (to use with Work) - one of which sacrifices people, one of which sacrifices Lores, neither of which can use Influences/Resonances. I guess I don't really want any big spoilers, but do I have the basic gist of what I need to do at this stage?
Get Secret History Lores from the Mansus -> Explore them to find Expeditions -> Complete Expeditions to get Books, Tools, Ingredients-> Study Books (translating where necessary) to find Invocation Lores and Rites -> Use Invocations to climb higher in the Mansus -> ??? -> Profit?

Yeah, pretty much. If you're doing one of the three standard ascensions (Enlightenment, Power or Sensation), you just need to scrounge up enough of the relevant aspects.

As far as Rites are concerned, you're guaranteed to get Sunset Rite from Oriflamme's. It consumes Influences and needs Lore and Assistants.

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008

vetinari100 posted:

As far as Rites are concerned, you're guaranteed to get Sunset Rite from Oriflamme's. It consumes Influences and needs Lore and Assistants.

Ffffffuck, that's good to know - that's exactly the one I want. (Just drew a rank 15 Knock resonance - feels like such a waste to let something like that decay uselessly). Thank you!

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
I found out that if you have a cultist with multiple influences (due to scars or otherwise) you can use a Rite that would normally sacrifice something for free. I got a knock scar on my Cyprian so now it's Flesh Prophets for days, baby!

By the way, I noticed that while playing this time using Passion would randomly spit out a Dread. Is this a new way to balance painting, or is this just a pretty vicious curse from the enemy Long? I'm doing the Grail New Game+ victory and I'm absolutely swimming in Dread.

Benly
Aug 2, 2011

20% of the time, it works every time.

RoboCicero posted:

By the way, I noticed that while playing this time using Passion would randomly spit out a Dread. Is this a new way to balance painting, or is this just a pretty vicious curse from the enemy Long? I'm doing the Grail New Game+ victory and I'm absolutely swimming in Dread.

Is it farting out Dread directly or producing Moth timers? Passion is Moth-aspected so you risk that any time you use it, iirc.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

RoboCicero posted:

I found out that if you have a cultist with multiple influences (due to scars or otherwise) you can use a Rite that would normally sacrifice something for free. I got a knock scar on my Cyprian so now it's Flesh Prophets for days, baby!

Look at the aspects on that Passion you're using. You'll notice Something Different about it.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

RoboCicero posted:

It's kind of silly, but also the summons themselves can be Assistant and all (I think) have aspects that satisfy their own recipe, minus the knock. So once you have a summon you can spawn extra copies or refresh its timer at no cost by plugging it into a rite with Knock Lore or whatever.

There's kind of a weird design theme/flaw of Catch-22 to the game. Almost all of the ways to get some given thing (basic stat, higher lore, specific summon) require some of that thing already, so it's really easy to get yourself shut out of something until you tediously grind your way back in or give up and restart.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Ghost of Starman posted:

The only bit you're missing is how to climb higher in the Mansus. Method spoilers without specifics: Reaching higher in the Mansus involves you dreaming on the door you've unlocked, and then placing something in the slot that appears. Usually a lore of a certain power and aspect.

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

Avasculous posted:

It's kind of silly, but also the summons themselves can be Assistant and all (I think) have aspects that satisfy their own recipe, minus the knock. So once you have a summon you can spawn extra copies or refresh its timer at no cost by plugging it into a rite with Knock Lore or whatever.

They've made this a bit less exploitable with the most recent update - you can't use the top-tier summons as ingredients to summon themselves any more, sadly.

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

Marshall/Kirtaner 8/24 nevar forget! (omg pedo)

Gato posted:

They've made this a bit less exploitable with the most recent update - you can't use the top-tier summons as ingredients to summon themselves any more, sadly.

That’s too bad, but kind of reasonable. I sure as hell don’t want to summon a Name by stabbing him in the heart, just so he can show back up and hang with me for another 3 minutes.

And from earlier, I finished a change victory, and it’s worth having a dance passion just to be able to eat lovely influences like fascination or dread.

Also, don’t forget about always sleeping dread+fas or content+dread together if you can. Dread and content especially - the content timer is way short.

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008
Can summons not be used against Rivals? (I only tried "Talk -> Spirit about Rival" not the reverse "Talk -> Rival, add spirit", but the former definitely wouldn't work) I was really looking forward to getting some better-than-5-Aspect Snares up and running :(

For that matter, has anybody found any other ways of dealing with Rivals other than setting Snares? (I could always invite him to tea and try to murder him, but I only get one chance at that, and I don't like my odds...)

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Man I swear I cannot do any ascension other than Lantern. I've done all the minor ones, but I quit halfway through the Forge Apostle cause it just doesn't appeal to me. Lantern is ~*~True Enlightenment~*~

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
You mean you haven't trained your body to the point where you can effortlessly bend steel and pulverize the skulls of lesser mortals with your hands alone?

Xyven
Jun 4, 2005

Check to induce a ban

How does drinking deep of the Grail's delights and feasting on the rarest delicacies not appeal to you

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008

Carcer posted:

You mean you haven't trained your body to the point where you can effortlessly bend steel and pulverize the skulls of lesser mortals with your hands alone?

Matchless Physique, and the 6th Mark of the Power Ascension; I'm pretty sure my funny little doctor-turned-painter is just a mass of burn scars and muscle underneath his frock. But (and I dunno what the exact odds, but I'd wager it's at least as bad as a coinflip) if the "punch his face off in broad daylight" tactic fails, they get Wary, and I'll lose out on one of the few ways I have to corral his movements a little. :P

Edit: oh, I guess you might've been talking to Yorkshire. womp womp

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
I'm all about that G L O R Y

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

Ghost of Starman posted:

Can summons not be used against Rivals? (I only tried "Talk -> Spirit about Rival" not the reverse "Talk -> Rival, add spirit", but the former definitely wouldn't work) I was really looking forward to getting some better-than-5-Aspect Snares up and running :(

For that matter, has anybody found any other ways of dealing with Rivals other than setting Snares? (I could always invite him to tea and try to murder him, but I only get one chance at that, and I don't like my odds...)

I can't remember off the top of my head which aspects can be used to create snares, but I know you can achieve a 10-aspect follower with at least one of them, without exalting anyone.

Send your Edge cultists off on hopeless expeditions to get wounded. Heal them. You're looking for an Edge scar. An Edge Disciple (5 edge) with a scar (+2) can be gifted the Furious Silver (+3) to hit 10 Edge aspect. If you get two edge scars you can gift them any of the edge tools to push them over the 10 limit, but then there's always the chance they die on their first outing. (I think crafting snares is safe, though.)

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
Finally got the Forge major victory. The game broke somehow when I finished the rite the first time and just keeps zooming in instead of showing the end card. Good thing the game kept some backup saves so I was able to go back and try again. The Long killed through half of my followers before I finally won (so at the end I had to use summons to do everything, because all the Edge and Winter and Forge cultists were dead)

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008
aaaaargh
Does anybody know if the level 10 Forge Resonance ("An Exalting Heat") shows up anywhere in the Mansus? (I think I can hit 36 influence within the Sunset Rite if I play my cards right, but I can't currently afford to feed the Spider Door constantly for the +15 Resonance)

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Ghost of Starman posted:

I can't currently afford to feed the Spider Door constantly

Why not?

How are you sourcing its food?

(You can get Trembling Heats (F6) from the Stag Door but that's it.)

vetinari100
Nov 8, 2009

> Make her pay.

Ghost of Starman posted:

aaaaargh
Does anybody know if the level 10 Forge Resonance ("An Exalting Heat") shows up anywhere in the Mansus? (I think I can hit 36 influence within the Sunset Rite if I play my cards right, but I can't currently afford to feed the Spider Door constantly for the +15 Resonance)

Apparently you can only get An Exalting Heat (lvl 10 Forge Influence) by either upgrading A Trembling Heat, or letting An Incandescence decay. But it is not that difficult to get prisoners - send out your Grail cultists.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
Or recruit a hireling, and have a little "chat" with them in your closet... :henget:

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008
woo! Never mind - got lucky with my trips to the Malleary, pulled an Incandescence and an Iotic Essence. Never even had to gently caress about with the Peacock Door (although I figured out how)! <3

Autonomous Monster posted:

Why not?

How are you sourcing its food?

Well, I guess it all worked out, but even up to the end I felt like my cult's sacrifice-machinery never really came fully online. It would've helped a lot if summons could be used for hunting (and/or dealing with Rivals, come to think of it).

Jan posted:

Or recruit a hireling, and have a little "chat" with them in your closet... :henget:

Yeah, that was the main source of the, er, fuel for my knowledge-furnace, if you will. I always felt vaguely guilty, though; betraying trusting contractors instead of kidnapping and mind-loving the clueless masses, the way the Good Lord(s) intended.

Ghost of Starman fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jan 30, 2019

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Jebus Christ how long does a Scandal last? It's generated like 20+ notoriety non stop.

charms
Oct 14, 2012

I love being forced to become the occult equivalent of Thomas Kinkade, mostly for the money, but also to be able to hold on to that abstractly cannibalistic impulse for an extra minute longer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008

Wikipedia posted:

He described himself as "Thomas Kinkade, Painter of Light", a phrase he protected through trademark but which was originally used to describe the English artist J. M. W. Turner (1775–1851).

"Light LEAKS through the CRACKS. My mind is BRIGHTER than it EVER was..."

:tinfoil: