Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I just watched Magical Cabbage again

Why is this series so dogshit now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
i would normally be pretty ok with food superpowers but they need to make loving sense.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Elfgames posted:

i would normally be pretty ok with food superpowers but they need to make loving sense.

New thread title please.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

best way for series to end would be erina calling the cops and getting the pedophile arrested

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The stakes here are really terrible. Somehow worse than the central arc.

Like, central arc is really insanely loving dumb but in a way you can almost, almost make it work. The school is massively influential, Azami is connected, if he totally takes over and changes the curriculum and it works he could conceivably in some way massively influence Japan's restaurant culture or something.

This arc is a weird foreign dude showing up and trying to set up an agreement where he forcibly marries a 16 year-old girl if he wins.*

*Shokugeki No Souma is a cooking manga

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

I was going to ask a question about that but then realized this manga is real dumb.

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose
I wanna get mad about everyone calling this manga dumb as gently caress because I loved it so much but goddamn it it went and got dumb as gently caress :saddowns: "i steal your knife and ~ABSORB YOUR POWERS~" is just the last straw, I can't fight it anymore.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Mimesweeper posted:

I wanna get mad about everyone calling this manga dumb as gently caress because I loved it so much but goddamn it it went and got dumb as gently caress :saddowns: "i steal your knife and ~ABSORB YOUR POWERS~" is just the last straw, I can't fight it anymore.

Right? like i'm down for normal dumb but he steals powers through cutting implements even when the powers have nothing to do with the tool!?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

It's kinda funny Tsukasa got a special knife only for it to be taken away like a chapter later.

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

Electric Phantasm posted:

It's kinda funny Tsukasa got a special knife only for it to be taken away like a chapter later.

he deserved so much better than to be the whipping boy for pervy knife wizard.

i wanna see him and Soma go back and forth kicking each others asses and fighting for more and more tiebreakers until the whole gang has to drag them apart and tie them up or something.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
A villain with this sort of power should be Mimisaka's rival not Souma's.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Xelkelvos posted:

A villain with this sort of power should be Mimisaka's rival not Souma's.

gently caress that make it Mimisaka, but instead of taking everyone's special cooking tools he gets copies of them so he's like Gilgamesh from Final Fantasy.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fabricated posted:

The stakes here are really terrible. Somehow worse than the central arc.

Like, central arc is really insanely loving dumb but in a way you can almost, almost make it work. The school is massively influential, Azami is connected, if he totally takes over and changes the curriculum and it works he could conceivably in some way massively influence Japan's restaurant culture or something.

This arc is a weird foreign dude showing up and trying to set up an agreement where he forcibly marries a 16 year-old girl if he wins.*

*Shokugeki No Souma is a cooking manga

you know thinkin on the back to back conceits here, azami should have won and expelled the protagonists who should have become the polar star noirs. then they should have wandered the under world in high stakes cooking jobs to skill up to come back and beat azami.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

oh jay posted:

With this revelation, I'm calling the ending.

Knowing that Saiba had superpowers, Joichiro lost to him on purpose at the start of this arc. When Saiba tries to access Joe's powers, it will conflict with his others and purify him.

Or maybe Soma just wins because he's the main character.

It wasn’t much!

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
The ending of this series will be this dumb Chrollo wannabe swinging each knife he has only for Soma to break each one with a parry until he's run out of tools and admits defeat because he has never nurtured his own talent

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Eej posted:

The ending of this series will be this dumb Chrollo wannabe swinging each knife he has only for Soma to break each one with a parry until he's run out of tools and admits defeat because he has never nurtured his own talent

Please just let Erina do it instead

Have this manga swerve in an interesting direction for once and have this guy get crushed like the shitter he is

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

TheKingofSprings posted:

Please just let Erina do it instead

Have this manga swerve in an interesting direction for once and have this guy get crushed like the shitter he is

Soma reaches the end of Blue ready to cook-fight Asahi but Erina comes out instead saying he cannot fight because she sealed his powers and we get the Soma version of

The End.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Alpha Kenny Juan posted:

Soma reaches the end of Blue ready to cook-fight Asahi but Erina comes out instead saying he cannot fight because she sealed his powers and we get the Soma version of

The End.

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > ADTRW > Shokugeki no Soma Manga Discussion: It Has The Same Properties As Rubber And Gum

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

If anything this "superpower" seems more fitting for Souma (minus the tool stealing) since his whole gimmick has been being a gem in the rough who keeps getting polished by fighting endless shokugeki's against his dad/others and learning from them.

This is hitting the Dragon Ball issue of serial escalation pretty hard with making former-1st-seat Tsukasa job for random people. If the series isn't cancelled then it's going to hit a peak stupidity curve of "Well, [next villain] is a bigger threat then asahi ever was! Here it's demonstrated by [next villain] beating [insert person who is theoretically still a challenge for Souma]" only to have Souma trample the villain and then not really talk about the implication.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Conot posted:

If anything this "superpower" seems more fitting for Souma (minus the tool stealing) since his whole gimmick has been being a gem in the rough who keeps getting polished by fighting endless shokugeki's against his dad/others and learning from them.

This is hitting the Dragon Ball issue of serial escalation pretty hard with making former-1st-seat Tsukasa job for random people. If the series isn't cancelled then it's going to hit a peak stupidity curve of "Well, [next villain] is a bigger threat then asahi ever was! Here it's demonstrated by [next villain] beating [insert person who is theoretically still a challenge for Souma]" only to have Souma trample the villain and then not really talk about the implication.

i cant believe the heavenly king of the ascended cooking realm literally turned shinomiya into a vegetable

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Toriko shows up and eats Saiba for not understanding that the best food is food eaten around a table with friends.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Fabricated posted:

Toriko shows up and eats Saiba for not understanding that the best food is food eaten around a table with friends.

Toriko really was too good for this miserable world.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

pentyne posted:

Toriko really was too good for this miserable world.

It's a series that probably would've survived if it had more fan servicey characters. Like Fairy Tail was half the series Toriko was, but it lasted far longer.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Xelkelvos posted:

It's a series that probably would've survived if it had more fan servicey characters.

:raise:

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
Toriko probably suffered because the anime was beyond filler and the first couple arcs are comparatively lackluster

I'm real sad we never get an anime of all the post time skip stuff, I think toriko is the only anime or manga I've seen to actually improve from one lmao

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Death Bot posted:

Toriko probably suffered because the anime was beyond filler and the first couple arcs are comparatively lackluster

I'm real sad we never get an anime of all the post time skip stuff, I think toriko is the only anime or manga I've seen to actually improve from one lmao

We don't deserve Libear... :smith:

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Oh boy, drag queens. Can't wait to have five pages of that discussion in this thread.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
https://readms.net/r/shokugeki_no_souma/297/5651/1?mobile=1

I feel two things about this chapter.

1: This manga isn’t coasting on nearly enough goodwill to pull this poo poo.

2. Can “They’re all good little gay boys” become the new thread title?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

1: This manga isn’t coasting on nearly enough goodwill to pull this poo poo.

Same, but having enough popularity for color pages.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
For a shounen manga this depiction of drag queens was remarkably respectful

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

So what was up with [gruff voice]? Was that in the manga originally or did MS mess up?

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Eej posted:

For a shounen manga this depiction of drag queens was remarkably respectful

Honestly yeah? Still nervous abt what the giant food react spread gonna be like!!

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
Man the Aldini brothers are finally teaming up an.....

RIP any interest I could have had in this match.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Mulderman posted:

Man the Aldini brothers are finally teaming up an.....

RIP any interest I could have had in this match.

Yeah. What a loving let down. Souma is probably one of the most boring choices to have a Takumi's surprise partner. Mimisaka would've been the best partner. Hell, Hisako or Megumi would've been more interesting than Souma again

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?

Xelkelvos posted:

Yeah. What a loving let down. Souma is probably one of the most boring choices to have a Takumi's surprise partner. Mimisaka would've been the best partner. Hell, Hisako or Megumi would've been more interesting than Souma again

Mimisaka tracing his brother.
Literally ANYTHING would have been better yeah.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Mulderman posted:

Mimisaka tracing his brother.
Literally ANYTHING would have been better yeah.

Mimisaka tracing both brothers simultaneously.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

this is literally just trolling now lmao

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Also: "Welp you can't fight anymore, guess I'll just take your knife!"

How about no? Takumi specifically refused to make the bet. First, it would be stealing (which I guess isn't a big deal, dark chef, yadda yadda), and second it goes directly against what was established just last chapter regarding Saiba's bullshit power, i.e. that the knife must be won in a cooking match or freely given to him.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Mikl posted:

Also: "Welp you can't fight anymore, guess I'll just take your knife!"

How about no? Takumi specifically refused to make the bet. First, it would be stealing (which I guess isn't a big deal, dark chef, yadda yadda), and second it goes directly against what was established just last chapter regarding Saiba's bullshit power, i.e. that the knife must be won in a cooking match or freely given to him.

I assume that if Takumi loses the mezzaluna and the guy tries to give it to Saiba, he'll refuse it or give it to Takumi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

takumi will just swing the knife at him in a shocking tone shift