Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Byolante posted:

I haven't seen tobiwan at an event since he launched his own cryptocoin

My understanding was he said the racist thing, and still worked. Yep I was right.

quote:

In May 2012, TobiWan was forced to apologise after making a racist comment in-game. [15]

He was again chosen in The International 2012, but during the event an incident involving Valve and his co-caster Slesh saw the mTw player syndereN who was eliminated early in the tournament co-casted the grand finals of Natus Vincere and Invictus Gaming, instead of the TobiWan-Slesh duo

I mean why would anyone expect racism to go away when Valve hardly punished for it at the time. Surely we can automate this as the majority of people (racists) will definitely report the racists! Looking into this I learned the casters weren't paid? Hahahahaha.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jan 28, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moush
Aug 19, 2009

Rage Your Dream

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3at_Ev2kOoI

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

https://twitter.com/DOTA2/status/1088884259861913600

and no tweets on Artifact since Dec21st

it's lookin real bad

I must say just abandoning your game just a little more than a month after release is novel new approach from from an AAA publisher.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

niche game

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

cant spell niche without "artifact sucks butt"

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
At least magic arena is pretty cool. Still need one of these things on my phone so I can finally drop the dread hearthstone forever.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Just hit a milestone:

At this point I'm curious what Artifact's numbers are gonna settle at; Eternal has a pretty steady number of ~1000 diehards, while Artifact seems to be slowly settling at 1.5k. Eternal's devs actually engage with their small community, though, Artifact's really gonna have to let people know about set #2 plans if it wants to keep those 1500 invested.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Pigbuster posted:

Just hit a milestone:

At this point I'm curious what Artifact's numbers are gonna settle at; Eternal has a pretty steady number of ~1000 diehards, while Artifact seems to be slowly settling at 1.5k. Eternal's devs actually engage with their small community, though, Artifact's really gonna have to let people know about set #2 plans if it wants to keep those 1500 invested.

Eternal also has a mobile client presumably with a bunch of players on it. I haven't played since the latest expansion, but Eternal is really good.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Artifact/comments/akjy31/i_just_bought_another_fullset_i_already_had_one/

lol

I have no other words

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef
"I've spent more than twice as much on Hearthstone than on Artifact." - Same Reddit Idiot

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Pigbuster posted:

Just hit a milestone:

Meanwhile Dota Auto Chess has like 100k concurrent players and rising, with several current/former Hearthstone streamers jumping on the bandwagon recently (Savjz, Dog, Hafu, Amaz etc.)

That's the kind of organic growth Artifact can only dream of, I'm guessing Valve will just buy and productize the mod soon.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Every post of that Artifact speculator is an absolute gem.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Even loving AUTO CHESS launched with a ranked leaderboard

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Anarch posted:

The draw, yet drawback, with Artifact is it's not casual. You are essentially playing a best 2-of-3 because you're playing three boards with a single deck, which emulates the three lanes of DOTA. While it provides tactical crunch, it can also be very draining because you're essentially playing three games concurrently (which in total can last up to 40 minutes due to animations, roping, or even general decision making). The current ranking system does not reflect this well because of pitiful gains.

For that reason, Artifact requires a lot of attention to coherently understand the state of the boards. It's not easy to follow on a stream unless you understand the game AND pay close attention to what's happening. Usually only the current board is shown, though occasionally the camera will quickly pan to another board and back if something happens across lanes. All of this can be disorienting and confusing for a passive watcher, so it's not surprising that many streamers dropped it.

There are several posts with 'X is what went wrong' with this game, including the obvious business problem, but I'm going to agree with you. The very same concept of making a 'faithful' DOTA recreation in card game, with 3 lanes, is a core problem (sorry Garfield). It means you are playing 3 games at the same time. That means:
-it makes games longer than people like
-it's more mentally draining to the player, having to have their attention divided in 3 boards
-it's less streamer friendly
-it makes the game less instantly engaging, as if for example a interesting situation is developing in board 1 with a combo being setup or a surprising twist, you can't continue directly the play, but that cool play is interrupted by having to visit board 2 and 3. I have seen some Artifact youtubers make some comments saying the game was good but sometimes... not that fun? I think this has to do with that feeling, in how the game is obviously strategically deep, but things like this point makes it less 'fun'.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Jan 28, 2019

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Turin Turambar posted:

There are several posts with 'X is what went wrong' with this game, including the obvious business problem, but I'm going to agree with you. The very same concept of making a 'faithful' DOTA recreation in card game, with 3 lanes, is a core problem (sorry Garfield). It means you are playing 3 games at the same time. That means:
-it makes games longer than people like
-it's more mentally draining to the player, having to have their attention divided in 3 boards
-it's less streamer friendly
-it makes the game less instantly engaging, as if for example a interesting situation is developing in board 1 with a combo being setup or a surprising twist, you can't continue directly the play, but that cool play is interrupted by having to visit board 2 and 3. I have seen some Artifact youtubers make some comments saying the game was good but sometimes... not that fun? I think this has to do with that feeling, in how the game is obviously strategically deep, but it things like this point makes it less 'fun'.

Gwent had a better implementation of this where you play three games back to back rather than concurrently. You have similar strategic considerations but it avoids pretty much all of the combos you mentioned.

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

Double Bill posted:

Meanwhile Dota Auto Chess has like 100k concurrent players and rising, with several current/former Hearthstone streamers jumping on the bandwagon recently (Savjz, Dog, Hafu, Amaz etc.)

That's the kind of organic growth Artifact can only dream of, I'm guessing Valve will just buy and productize the mod soon.

I hope the autochess developer have saved the rights for their game idea. In case Valve is a cheap rear end to port this to another game/engine.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
The whole "play three games concurrently" could be really loving cool, but Artifact doesn't do a whole lot with it. Yeah, it sucks to set up a huge wombo combo in lane 1 only to have it interrupted by lanes 2 and 3, but what should instead be happening is setting up huge wombo combos across multiple lanes. Have it so you set up a combo in one lane, and execute it with a second. Have that combo being executed with the second lane then set up for another combo in the third, or use the third lane to recover from that combo, etc. The problem isn't that there are three lanes, it's that the game fails to make those lanes feel connected. So rather than playing one huge game with three smaller sections, instead it feels like three entirety separate games.

Artifact does have SOME interesting cross-lane stuff, but all of it is just "deal damage to someone in another lane" or "move someone from this lane to another".

I think part of the problem is that cards are fairly solitary. If you look at Keyforge, or MtG to a lesser extent, the cards are practically like a gigantic pinball machine, where each one bounces off all the others in interesting ways. Playing Card A not only benefits Card B but sets up for Card C. Again, Artifact has some of this, but not nearly to the extent that I think it should.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

CodfishCartographer posted:

I think part of the problem is that cards are fairly solitary. If you look at Keyforge, or MtG to a lesser extent, the cards are practically like a gigantic pinball machine, where each one bounces off all the others in interesting ways. Playing Card A not only benefits Card B but sets up for Card C. Again, Artifact has some of this, but not nearly to the extent that I think it should.

Yeah, there's a distinct lack of archetypes beyond in the very general sense and it's worsened by colours not being individual enough.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

The Moon Monster posted:

Gwent had a better implementation of this where you play three games back to back rather than concurrently. You have similar strategic considerations but it avoids pretty much all of the combos you mentioned.

the big gwent problem is you (1) you are going to see your entire deck every game and (2) whoever has more card draw gets free turns in a game usually decided by the very last action in the very last a round. Also (3) triss merigold is allowed to be in the game.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

MiddleOne posted:

Yeah, there's a distinct lack of archetypes beyond in the very general sense and it's worsened by colours not being individual enough.

It's funny, because Dota 2 has tons of the kind of combo stuff I mentioned. Black Hole into Chain Frost, Io teleport with Lifestealer hiding in one of them, Venge swap into Batrider Lasso, etc. This barely translates over to Artifact at all at the moment, when it absolutely could with more effort. Axe's taunt is great at setting up poo poo in regular Dota, why not let it be the same in Artifact? Because there's not really any mechanics to take advantage of that sort of thing.

There are no abilities that take time to use that you can prepare for with other cards, and there's no way to really avoid abilities that would make stunning useful. Stunning is like almost every other mechanic - it solely is there to make someone deal more / less damage.

This is I think the core of artifact's design problems - everything boils down to dealing more damage, or preventing / reducing damage. There's not much else you CAN do easily. You can move units, but those effects are relatively rare and usually don't give you much control. Why not just make it a base mechanic where you can spend your turn to swap two cards in your lane? Could even give cards a "movement speed" value that determines how far they can move, or something. Get it high enough and you can move to another lane. I dunno I'm just throwing out ideas, but right now there's hardly any effects that aren't just "make enemy die faster / make your guy die slower"

moush
Aug 19, 2009

Rage Your Dream
New patch. Mostly item balance changes and some quicker time settings.

https://steamcommunity.com/games/583950/announcements/detail/1712958942366879379

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Unchanged:
Still in it for the long haul

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Making almost every item cheaper is a good change. Stonehall cloak and the good items didn't feel oppressive , it's everything else that felt pointless given the speed of the games. I'm not in general the kind of person who prefers buffs to nerfs but I think it was appropriate here. Blade of the vigil change is probably the most exciting, especially in draft.

Won't actually make anyone new like the game. But it could improve it for those who currently enjoy it.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

That seems an awful lot like 'we want this thing you don't want to feel less bad' more than an actually good thing.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

No Wave posted:

Making almost every item cheaper is a good change. Stonehall cloak and the good items didn't feel oppressive , it's everything else that felt pointless given the speed of the games. I'm not in general the kind of person who prefers buffs to nerfs but I think it was appropriate here. Blade of the vigil change is probably the most exciting, especially in draft.

Won't actually make anyone new like the game. But it could improve it for those who currently enjoy it.

They are pretty good changes across the board, I think all of the Stonehall items will see more play in draft now, and plate and pike were already seen as playable, now I just think they're flat out good. The change to both Blade of the Vigil and Assassin's Veil are huge for both draft and potentially constructed. Equipping a blade and just demolishing creeps has some big implications, and an affordable way to control arrows with Veil make it great for red and black heroes.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
There might even be a reason not to take blink dagger now.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef
I could see certain red and non-goldrush black decks running 3x phase and 2x veil now that it's a total of 7 gold cheaper to run that loadout. Carnage going down by 3 gold is also a pretty big deal. I don't think many of the other changes are going to alter the meta of constructed but draft is going to be more interesting now.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Even loving AUTO CHESS launched with a ranked leaderboard

It isn't important to the target market. See Overwatch. I mean Overwatch did add ranking but they still hide information from the players so that don't feel as bad about their performance.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Reality Winter posted:

There might even be a reason not to take blink dagger now.

Haha. Ha.

MiddleOne posted:

I think they did reasonably well dividing the colors, but the total lack of archetypes is what burned me out on Draft faster than anything.

Aside from the "when you play color" cards (almost all of which are terrible), there's an almost total lack of conditionality to what any card does. Mist buffs everything. Bolt does 20 damage, period. Everything stands alone.

It's one more thing that makes Garfield's involvement bizarre, since Magic worked out an easy way to do this a long time ago with tribes, which have been a staple of roughly every set, I think?

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Duck and Cover posted:

It isn't important to the target market. See Overwatch. I mean Overwatch did add ranking but they still hide information from the players so that don't feel as bad about their performance.

overwatch is a team based shooter, not a 1v1 card duel game. It not having ranked leaderboards is literally nothing like artifact not having them

also the idea that the markets for overwatch and artifact somehow overlap is pretty funny to me

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

Avasculous posted:

Haha. Ha.

I think they did reasonably well dividing the colors, but the total lack of archetypes is what burned me out on Draft faster than anything.

Aside from the "when you play color" cards (almost all of which are terrible), there's an almost total lack of conditionality to what any card does. Mist buffs everything. Bolt does 20 damage, period. Everything stands alone.

It's one more thing that makes Garfield's involvement bizarre, since Magic worked out an easy way to do this a long time ago with tribes, which have been a staple of roughly every set, I think?

Tribes are pretty rare in that most sets don't have much, if any tribal mechanics, but synergy, which is what I think you are more broudly talking about here, where two relatively low or otherwise underpowered things combine to do something very powerful is a staple of magic.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Tribes are a relatively unimportant part of standard magic but there's a small segment of the player base that is absolutely obsessed with them. I've generally assumed it's the same sort of demographic as Hufflepuff kids.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

If anything Hearth does more with the tribes aspect, though overdone at times that its oppressive

Stares at priate warrior in the era long gone

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Paul Zuvella posted:

overwatch is a team based shooter, not a 1v1 card duel game. It not having ranked leaderboards is literally nothing like artifact not having them

also the idea that the markets for overwatch and artifact somehow overlap is pretty funny to me

Person who plays/might possibly play video games is the market they want to tap. Sorry but they don't give any shits about you the individual card game player who wants ranking, you aren't the bulk of "person who plays video games". Overwatch, Hearthstone, Diablo 3, Heroes of the Storm are all using the same techniques to have the broadest appeal possible. Ranking is in Hearthstone so you expect it? Ranking wasn't in TF2 so you don't expect it? Boy that sure is simplistic.

The idea that someone thinks huge sucessful companies give a poo poo as to the genre they produce their agressively alright games is pretty funny to me. Wait they do care, it's whatever they see money in. (Team based shooter, card game, ARPG, another Dota like)

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Jan 29, 2019

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

boredsatellite posted:

If anything Hearth does more with the tribes aspect, though overdone at times that its oppressive

Stares at priate warrior in the era long gone
Tribes do end up very important in Modern MTG because they can shove all of the broken payoff cards for tribals from different sets over fifteen years into the same deck.

What they generally are in standard MTG is a way to create extremely linear tier 3 decks for the sorts of people who like tribals without printing cards that are broken in general. Dragons in Blackrock Mountain were a reasonable example of this, and there was a small group of players that was completely crazy about Dragon Priest. It's hard to say what a "linear" deck in Artifact is at this point so tribals are kind of pointless.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Marketing New Brain posted:

Tribes are pretty rare in that most sets don't have much, if any tribal mechanics, but synergy, which is what I think you are more broudly talking about here, where two relatively low or otherwise underpowered things combine to do something very powerful is a staple of magic.

Oh. Honestly I've probably seen about 25% of the sets across the game's history, and thought tribes were pretty ubiquitous. Although I guess I was also lumping into "tribes" less explicit groupings, like the guilds in Ravnica or 3-color shards (?) in that other set.

And yes, that is what I meant by conditionality. It's also conspicuously absent component to the top cards. Mist would be a lot more interesting and less auto-include if it only affected Melee Creeps or Creeps < X cost or something (anything) that limited it to being nuts in certain conditions.

Avasculous fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Jan 29, 2019

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I realized something after about a month of dipping in an out of artifact.

Only the really invested mtg people will get what I mean when I say this but I think every game in artifact is basically a lantern control mirror and that is why I find even a single game so exhausting. Both a lantern control mirror and artifact revolve around locking your opponent out of the game through prison effects (in lantern control's case its a function of how the deck is built and in artifact's case its a function of the core game mechanics) and you are heavily rewarded for predicting your opponent's moves since that will allow you to lock them out of the game more easily.

for anyone who is morbidly curious this is what the lantern mirror looks like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvm_y2DAbAY

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Duck and Cover posted:

Person who plays/might possibly play video games is the market they want to tap. Sorry but they don't give any shits about you the individual card game player who wants ranking, you aren't the bulk of "person who plays video games". Overwatch, Hearthstone, Diablo 3, Heroes of the Storm are all using the same techniques to have the broadest appeal possible. Ranking is in Hearthstone so you expect it? Ranking wasn't in TF2 so you don't expect it? Boy that sure is simplistic.

The idea that someone thinks huge sucessful companies give a poo poo as to the genre they produce their agressively alright games is pretty funny to me. Wait they do care, it's whatever they see money in. (Team based shooter, card game, ARPG, another Dota like)

Maybe they should have given a poo poo about the market they were trying to capture, because their product was a massive loving failure and is a laughingstock?

The "bulk of people that play video games" dont know about or care about artifact, so they clearly did something wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Duck and Cover posted:

Person who plays/might possibly play video games is the market they want to tap. Sorry but they don't give any shits about you the individual card game player who wants ranking, you aren't the bulk of "person who plays video games".

You have no clue how market and demographic metrics work please stop posting about them.