Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I mean maybe it's just me but I don't like the original Donkey Kong Country games at all but I love DKCR and Tropical Freeze in particular. They're just so much better. Skip the old ones and move on to the good stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Can DK Tropical Freeze be beaten with a young kid or is it too hard?

Every time I see it mentioned so is the difficulty level

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Funky Mode is kid mode.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Can DK Tropical Freeze be beaten with a young kid

Yes

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

American McGay posted:

Funky Mode is kid mode.

Funky mode is the correct way to play tropical freeze

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Can DK Tropical Freeze be beaten with a young kid or is it too hard?

Every time I see it mentioned so is the difficulty level

Funky Mode is easy mode, so it should be beatable. Though unlike Returns and the New Super Mario Bros. games, it doesn't have the super guide to help them if they die too much, so they're gonna be stuck beating the levels on their own.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Jan 28, 2019

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

Laserface posted:

Maybe don't get tropical freeze then.

I don’t mind a difficult game if it’s fun to play, from everything I’ve heard Tropical Freeze is fun even though it’s challenging. Plus there’s the Funky Kong training wheels thing so thanks for the input mate, but I’ll take my chances on the game made 20 years later by different developer

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Dr. Fetus posted:

Funky Mode is easy mode, so it should be beatable. Though unlike Returns and the New Super Mario Bros. games, it doesn't have the super guide to help them if they die too much, so they're gonna be stuck beating the levels on their own.

It does have a level skip if you die a certain number of times.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Anyone else not like having to hold Y at all times in NSMBUD? Kinda wish sprinting was default. Thumbs aren't calloused and impervious like they once were :(

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Ciaphas posted:

Anyone else not like having to hold Y at all times in NSMBUD? Kinda wish sprinting was default. Thumbs aren't calloused and impervious like they once were :(

If you did that and added a walk button you'd break the brain of literally every person that's played 2D platformers.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Jose Oquendo posted:

If you did that and added a walk button you'd break the brain of literally every person that's played 2D platformers.

My own, too, I'm sure. Right thumb'd probably be happier though!

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
I keep getting disconnected from online games (Smash, Splatoon) and I can't loving figure out why. My roommate also has a Switch and plays the same games and it hasn't happened to her once. We'll be playing Splatoon together and I'll get disconnected - from my ethernet-connected dock - while her wireless connection keeps on chugging (I tried just switching to wireless and it didn't change anything).

Posting this after being banned from Splatoon for three minutes for disconnecting too much. Can't believe I paid money for this poo poo.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

If you aren't compulsively holding down the y button in every platformer whether it actually does anything or not what kind of gamer are you

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

RandomFerret posted:

If you aren't compulsively holding down the y button in every platformer whether it actually does anything or not what kind of gamer are you

Probably one of those weird kids I was friends with in elementary school because they had a Genesis.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
That sounds like an issue with your router or ISP.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Is it an official Nintendo Ethernet adapter, or just a random usb-to-ethernet adapter?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Donkey Kong Country 1 and 2 are good games. It's the 3rd one that sucks.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

It’s okay but it’s not as good. I like the weirdly dark atmospheric soundtrack it has.

Fun fact: The GBA port of 3 has a completely different new soundtrack by David Wise but it’s not very good imo.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Jan 28, 2019

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Bleck posted:

I keep getting disconnected from online games (Smash, Splatoon) and I can't loving figure out why. My roommate also has a Switch and plays the same games and it hasn't happened to her once. We'll be playing Splatoon together and I'll get disconnected - from my ethernet-connected dock - while her wireless connection keeps on chugging (I tried just switching to wireless and it didn't change anything).

Posting this after being banned from Splatoon for three minutes for disconnecting too much. Can't believe I paid money for this poo poo.

Check this page and report the results.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Bleck posted:

The only time I had this kind of connection problems was when my machine was using wifi in the dock when it should have been on wired. Given it sounds like you checked that while it was happening my thought is the ethernet adapter or wire itself is somehow bad or the router is doing something pissy specifically to you. The former is easier to test at least.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

punk rebel ecks posted:

Donkey Kong Country 1 and 2 are good games. It's the 3rd one that sucks.

The third one is easily the best of the original set

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Heath posted:

The third one is easily the best of the original set
:chloe:

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Between the really great and underrated ost and the more experimental levels, agreed

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Jose Oquendo posted:

Spelunky has an option to invert the run button and it surprisingly only takes a few minutes to adjust to, then after that it's way better forever. It's possible that it only makes sense to me because I spend more time playing first person shooters than platformers but I'd definitely use the option if it got added to Mario.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Knorth posted:

Between the really great and underrated ost and the more experimental levels, agreed

Yeah same. I don't genuinely prefer it since the series was getting a bit stale, was quickly becoming a collectathon in the vein of later 3D games, and it simply lacks the charm of Pirates or jungle (why are northern taiga environments so dull, see Skyrim) but it has some good level design with change ups that avoid feeling gimmicky. DKC 2 remains the standard for me and most people but 3 is definitely a contender.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

People just hate it because it has kiddy Kong and is from a time their friends were making fun of Nintendo for being too "kiddy"

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

People just hate it because it has kiddy Kong and is from a time their friends were making fun of Nintendo for being too "kiddy"

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
The strongest baby

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
And the worst babysitter.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
:cursed: Kong

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Holy poo poo I've seen that monstrosity before

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Chunky is his older brother or something right? Tiny is Dixie's sister. Who are funky, candy, and lanky?

Incredible the things we remember.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I recieved a Switch for my birthday, now what?

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Iron Crowned posted:

put on three screen protectors, break your joy-cons, and lament that you have no way to charge it

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Iron Crowned posted:

>GO NORTH.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
Nippon Ichi just announced a new game, Murder Detective Jack the Ripper, and it has the best hook I've ever seen

quote:

“Detective” and “Murderer.” The conclusion of the case changes depending on your choices. This game, a novel adventure, branches into “Detective” and “Murderer” routes depending on your choices. Will you be the intellectual “Detective” or the impulsive “Murderer?”

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Iron Crowned posted:

Were you given any games with it? There's lots of great ones. Mario Odyssey if you like 3d platformers, Zelda for a refreshing take on open world exploration, Smash is more or less a must-have depending on your tastes.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Jesus that’s fuckin creepy looking.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

Iron Crowned posted:

Do you like fictional plumbers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Nep-Nep posted:

Were you given any games with it? There's lots of great ones. Mario Odyssey if you like 3d platformers

I'm a relatively new Switch owner and I just got Mario Odyssey last night. It is sublime. It's so fun, it's potentially the nicest designed game I've played. You can feel the love in every little character. Brilliant stuff.