Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Super-Id
Nov 9, 2005

"You know it's what you really want."

Grimey Drawer

Your Taint posted:

Just getting rid of him is a massive improvement.

It doesn’t feel like enough if we put someone in who wants a return to the status quo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

For some reason, his naked pandering to the evangelists always irritates me more than all his other poo poo that he tweets about. I'm as non-religious as it gets and even I probably have spent more time in churches or read more of the Bible than this ignorant orange gently caress.

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

ISRAEL DOESN'T HAVE CIVILIANS THEY'RE ALL VALID TARGETS
I'm a huge dickbag ignore me

The Super-Id posted:

It doesn’t feel like enough if we put someone in who wants a return to the status quo.

It will just invite another trumpist to get elected, and they might actually be competent.

umbrage
Sep 5, 2007

beast mode

friendbot2000 posted:

https://twitter.com/AyannaPressley/status/1089156608045785089

https://twitter.com/AyannaPressley/status/1089874300906151943

I want to drive to New York for Story Hour now. Also, Thank loving CHRIST! A Rep who understands the value of libraries

Erm, you'll want to drive to Penn Station to grab an Amtrak train to Boston then?

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

friendbot2000 posted:

I want to drive to New York for Story Hour now. Also, Thank loving CHRIST! A Rep who understands the value of libraries

BPL = Boston Public Library. Mattapan != Manhattan.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.

Ripoff posted:

I’m torn on the idea of Bible literacy classes, because any class that makes you try to read the Bible from a literary standpoint would be chock-full of kids griping about how impossible it is to understand and asking why it keeps contradicting itself every other chapter.

If they’ve been reading Trump’s tweets, they’re used to it.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

Sydney Bottocks posted:

For some reason, his naked pandering to the evangelists always irritates me more than all his other poo poo that he tweets about. I'm as non-religious as it gets and even I probably have spent more time in churches or read more of the Bible than this ignorant orange gently caress.

Following the actual tenets of Christianity is about as important to Evangelicals as it is to the ethos of Donald Trump. They are just as depraved as he is, they just put on more of an act.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

umbrage posted:

Erm, you'll want to drive to Penn Station to grab an Amtrak train to Boston then?

Goddammit. I am not a smart man.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Hell, taking an art or architectural history class or two in college you basically gets you a religious education as well.

ugly contest
Feb 17, 2010

Crackbone posted:

The article might be in bad faith, but there is something of value here- our society has done a terrible job of teaching men how to treat women respectfully, as peers, and not just as objects. Not saying these men deserve pity or anything, but we’ve only just in the past YEAR started to forcefully push this issue into the mainstream discussion.

Of course those Davos dipshits could just hire a team specifically to help them.

It seems to me that the implication behind things like:

“I now think twice about spending one-on-one time with a young female colleague,” said one American finance executive, speaking on the condition of anonymity because the issue is “just too sensitive.”
“Me, too,” said another man in the conversation.

Is less about men not knowing how to treat women respectfully and is more "women are lying"

The Super-Id
Nov 9, 2005

Grimey Drawer

ugly contest posted:

Ugh

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Donald Trump is the perfect representation of Evangelical Christianity. He's a mysogynistic, racist conman that doesn't believe a word of his religion and uses it purely for monetary and political gain. The idiots that thought his record of immorality would certainly push away Christians was so ignorant of reality it was impressive.

Also Maggie Habberman continues to be a dumbass rear end in a top hat carrying water for the powerful at the expense of the powerless but that's her schtick.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

I can't think of any New York Starbucks customer who would be caught dead in Trump tower, one any new York Trump fan who would be caught dead in a Starbucks

If Schulz is serious about entering politics and not on the right, loudly shuttering that specific Starbucks would be a great gesture of goodwill.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

FlamingLiberal posted:

her people thought that was a smart strategy, but instead it backfired horribly.

Hillary's campaign legacy!

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

Radish posted:

Donald Trump is the perfect representation of Evangelical Christianity. He's a mysogynistic, racist conman that doesn't believe a word of his religion and uses it purely for monetary and political gain. The idiots that thought his record of immorality would certainly push away Christians was so ignorant of reality it was impressive.

Also Maggie Habberman continues to be a dumbass rear end in a top hat carrying water for the powerful at the expense of the powerless but that's her schtick.

In a parallel universe, I can see Trump making an absolute killing as a prosperity-gospel televangelist.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

haveblue posted:

If Schulz is serious about entering politics and not on the right, loudly shuttering that specific Starbucks would be a great gesture of goodwill.

What? We don't want "gestures of goodwill" from that fuckface, nor things that would improve his "chances" or anything like that. Don't you understand? We want him to gently caress off.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

KickerOfMice posted:

In a parallel universe, I can see Trump making an absolute killing as a prosperity-gospel televangelist.

Considering all of his disastrous business deals since the 80s I bet he’d be richer if he was one.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Thalantos posted:

It will just invite another trumpist to get elected, and they might actually be competent.

Really this is so important. The ~resistance~ is so focused on acting as if Trump is some unique evil that all it will take will be another fascist like Bush who is way more evil than Trump but hides it behind a persona better and they'll crumble back to 'well gee whiz I don't agree but it's nice to have a respectful debate back'. Pelosi literally told Republicans to 'take their party back' and we 'need' a healthy Republican party. Fuckin President Rubio or whoever is gonna skate past her if all we have to run on is more neoliberal compromise.

umbrage
Sep 5, 2007

beast mode

Radish posted:

I really hope than after she dies it'll come out that Haberman is a deep FBI informant in some sort of reverse-Ernest Withers.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Skippy McPants posted:

Setting aside the sex-monsters who've so far escaped notice, the rest are smart enough know that the business and political class is souved in generations of misogyny. They're terrified because they rightly suspect that some amount of their day-to-day crosses a line, but they lack the introspection to self-identify those transgressions.

So of course, like the giant man-children they are, some have decided that rather than learning appropriate behavior the easier solution is to just Mike Pence their way through life. Easy!

I can't count how many meetings I've had to sit through where casual misogyny is just rampant. I'm a contractor too, so I'm literally always an outsider and there are still people who feel completely comfortable being monsters in front of me. I've all but given up on actually speaking up about it, because I've never gotten any reactions other than stunned confusion. The kind of person who's terrified of being alone with a woman because they might be accused of something has absolutely no ability at all to reflect on why they might be so worried.

Paradoxish fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Jan 28, 2019

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Finally Americans can read the Bible and say Merry Christmas again! Thank you President Trump!

The Super-Id
Nov 9, 2005

Grimey Drawer

sexpig by night posted:

Really this is so important. The ~resistance~ is so focused on acting as if Trump is some unique evil that all it will take will be another fascist like Bush who is way more evil than Trump but hides it behind a persona better and they'll crumble back to 'well gee whiz I don't agree but it's nice to have a respectful debate back'. Pelosi literally told Republicans to 'take their party back' and we 'need' a healthy Republican party. Fuckin President Rubio or whoever is gonna skate past her if all we have to run on is more neoliberal compromise.

This is exactly why Hillary and the republicans in 2016 tried to paint him as an outsider, and every centrist piece of poo poo wants to walk things back to fake bullshit compromise and "reasonable" politics. It's a huge loving trap. They can point to Trump and say, "We tried to do things differently, look what happened. We need to return to serious adult politics." Yet what they want a return to is exactly what landed us here. Trump is awful and I hate him, but he's pretty much pure unbridled narcissism. None of the terrible things he is doing are his own ideas or desires, they are the leftover momentum of our general downward trend in the way we have governed in this country for the last half century or more.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

KickerOfMice posted:

Honestly I don't think he could sell it when you compare him to the greats like Bakker or Graham. What he brings to the table that those don't is the raw political power and bully pulpit of the presidency. They absolutely love that Trump says some racist lies and then you have MSNBC asking if maybe we DO need to stop the caravan and it's horde of criminals from getting to our border or if maybe the Muslim ban has some validity since the President must be operating in good faith. Without Trump would white supremacists have had a weekly section in the New York Times? He'sa golden opportunity to push their theocratic dreams that a mere con artist scamming them can't. Without that I don't think he has the raw charisma to sell divine salvation for only three easy payments of $19.95. He was a joke until NBC decided they needed a fake rich boss for their reality show and he was the one with the least dignity to do it.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Jan 28, 2019

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I really wish I had the forethought to be paid to tell Howard Schultz that “yes, you should totally run for President, now here’s how you can write out my check....”

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

VH4Ever posted:

What? We don't want "gestures of goodwill" from that fuckface, nor things that would improve his "chances" or anything like that. Don't you understand? We want him to gently caress off.

Yes, that is what we want, but he's not going to do what this dead gay comedy forum he doesn't read wants, he's going to do what he thinks will support his campaign (again, if he's serious). I'm pointing out that Trump just suggested something he can do for attention with zero downsides.

Plus, don't you want Trump Tower to produce less rent and be a less appealing destination for NYC pedestrians?

Dignity Van Houten
Jul 28, 2006

abcdefghijk
ELLAMENNO-P

ugly contest posted:

“I now think twice about spending one-on-one time with a young female colleague,” said one American finance executive, speaking on the condition of anonymity because the issue is “just too sensitive.”

Is less about men not knowing how to treat women respectfully and is more "women are lying"

These guys are fearful because their perception, correct or not, is that women are throwing accusations of harassment left and right and all it takes is one time for an entire career to burn, life as you know it is over. Lose your kids, wife leaves you, fired, name dragged through the mud.

Its the same as people afraid of flying even though the odds are one in a million, facts and statistics don't matter to the guy who's afraid that a pat on the back will cause a woman to accuse him of harassment. Perception affects reality and of course it's ridiculous but when people are scared they act irrationally.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

FlamingLiberal posted:

I really wish I had the forethought to be paid to tell Howard Schultz that “yes, you should totally run for President, now here’s how you can write out my check....”

If the consultant grifters that are obviously behind him doing this "forget" to file his paperwork after taking millions of his money I can forgive them.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

The Super-Id posted:

Cool, replace these men with women, problem solved.

WRONG! Fire these guys, have the workers under them form a union and then have them elect a manager instead if they feel it is necessary to do their work

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.

Hey look, the GOP has become the party of economic central planning and they fuckin' love it.

Also I give 70/30 odds Trump still thinks it's the Chinese paying the tariffs, not Americans.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe

Paradoxish posted:

I can't count how many meetings I've had to sit through where casual misogyny is just rampant. I'm a contractor too, so I'm literally always an outsider and there are still people who feel completely comfortable being monsters in front of me. I've all but given up on actually speaking up about it, because I've never gotten any reactions other than stunned confusion. The kind of person who's terrified of being alone with a woman because they might be accused of something has absolutely no ability at all to reflect on why they might be so worried.

You should hear some of the language tossed about in a (even, a fancy-pants one) commercial kitchen. Verbal toiletry I wouldn't even repeat to make a point.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Every time I'm in a room alone with a woman they look around and make sure nobody there, then they block the door, point at my crotch and say "I bet you have a really small penis". That's why I don't mentor women anymore. 3 is a coincidence. 4 is a pattern of behavior.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

Hey look, the GOP has become the party of economic central planning and they fuckin' love it.

Also I give 70/30 odds Trump still thinks it's the Chinese paying the tariffs, not Americans.

Oh it's way higher than that, guaranteed. He's wording it like "Haha, those foreign freeloaders are paying out the rear end for our steel now! And we keep all the profit"

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

ugly contest posted:

It's ridiculous. I'm a teacher, and we've been dealing with this reality for a lot longer than the, what, year and a half that men in other fields have been? Most of us have open-door policies, we're forbidden from buying alcohol for students, etc. And I don't think I've ever heard another male teacher complain that he's afraid to mentor a female student. Abuse is still rampant in education of course, but none of us are acting like we just now learned that we need to monitor our behavior.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

Welcome to your daily dose of "Never Trust a Cop":

https://twitter.com/ProPublica/status/1089697088642973698
In other "Florida is Terrible" news...

https://twitter.com/ProPublica/status/1088625051161845766
Stop and Frisk: LA Edition
The first question they ask is "are you on probation or parole"

https://twitter.com/ProPublica/status/1089168616589795329
Jesus loving christ, this poor kid...he was trying to get out and they loving signed his death warrant. This story is just sickening.

https://twitter.com/ProPublica/status/1089651766067691520
Cops in Austin Texas are mislabeling rapes to improve their solve rate.

friendbot2000 fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jan 28, 2019

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Ripoff posted:

I’m torn on the idea of Bible literacy classes, because any class that makes you try to read the Bible from a literary standpoint would be chock-full of kids griping about how impossible it is to understand and asking why it keeps contradicting itself every other chapter. Might make for more atheists in the future. :haw:

Have the kids read the raw text and then go "I don't get it, where is the part about the gays"

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Every time I'm in a room alone with a woman they look around and make sure nobody there, then they block the door, point at my crotch and say "I bet you have a really small penis". That's why I don't mentor women anymore. 3 is a coincidence. 4 is a pattern of behavior.

Well, do you? The women of the world have a lot of money riding on this bet.

T. Bombastus
Feb 18, 2013

935 posted:

These guys are fearful because their perception, correct or not, is that women are throwing accusations of harassment left and right and all it takes is one time for an entire career to burn, life as you know it is over. Lose your kids, wife leaves you, fired, name dragged through the mud.

Its the same as people afraid of flying even though the odds are one in a million, facts and statistics don't matter to the guy who's afraid that a pat on the back will cause a woman to accuse him of harassment. Perception affects reality and of course it's ridiculous but when people are scared they act irrationally.
These guys are fearful because they've spent decades harrassing and abusing women without compunction.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe

T. Bombastus posted:

These guys are fearful because they've spent decades harrassing and abusing women without compunction.

I'm a dude, and a hundred times, this.

Boys will be boys.

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

T. Bombastus posted:

It's a very :kav: moment, "what you mean there are consequences for just giving Sandra a quick backrub when she looked stressed?!?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

935 posted:

No, this is giving them way too much credit.

They're fearful because they know their behavior is wrong, but they lack both the willingness to change and the ability to correctly identify when they're acting inappropriately. It's impossible to overstate how toxic the culture is in many business environments, and how deeply entrenched that toxicity has become. You might be right that some small percentage of guys who are worried are just huge just cowards, but it's not the majority of people who complain about this sort of thing. Not by a long shot.