Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JoshGuitar
Oct 25, 2005

Hawkgirl posted:

A thing can be racist while not being explicitly and only racist, you don't have to give it credit just because they managed to add some stuff around the dogwhistles

I didn't give them "credit", I'm saying half of it is racist and the other half is maybe "classist". Although I've worked with a surprising number of people who don't realize "business casual" doesn't include tank tops and flip flops, so it needs to be spelled out in a dress code at work.

And I honestly have never heard of "work boots" as being any kind of stereotypical dress :confused:. If anything, you'd think the ignorant stereotype would be the exact opposite, with people who think "hurr they don't work". Hiking boots or whatever Timberlands qualify as are a little bit different story (even though the majority of white people tend to list "hiking" as an interest on dating profiles); but I've never seen anybody, of any race/color/ethnicity wear, like, Red Wing metatarsals for a night out as some kind of fashion statement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

JoshGuitar posted:

And I honestly have never heard of "work boots" as being any kind of stereotypical dress :confused:. If anything, you'd think the ignorant stereotype would be the exact opposite, with people who think "hurr they don't work". Hiking boots or whatever Timberlands qualify as are a little bit different story (even though the majority of white people tend to list "hiking" as an interest on dating profiles); but I've never seen anybody, of any race/color/ethnicity wear, like, Red Wing metatarsals for a night out as some kind of fashion statement.

That's because they're not actually looking to prohibit "work boots" - this is a dogwhistle you are not hearing. They are implicitly banning Timberlands, which are commonly worn by black people, who are the people they're really trying to keep out.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I want to see LL Bean Duck Boots on that ban list. At the first hint of slush, the entirety of New Jersey seems to have them on, and it's weirding me out a bit. Ten years ago, people made fun of me for having them.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Jan 18, 2019

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Only white people could see that sign and think it’s not racist.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
Yeah that yelp review is very quiet-part-loud in the age of Trumpism and I hope subpar steel from the trade war leads to ongoing critical failures of Harley Davidson bikes and this problem takes care of itself.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Scientastic posted:

Only white people could see that sign and think it’s not racist.

:emptyquote:

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Anyone ever feel... not so fresh?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1440353431/occo-a-fresh-take-on-flavor

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Oh boy I love killing the planet!

e: lol I'd use an entire sheet of those little bubbles for just one spice in a curry. What are they thinking, 1/4 tsp at a time? That's not sufficient

SymmetryrtemmyS fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Jan 27, 2019

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

What are they thinking,

:homebrew:

Extortionist
Aug 31, 2001

Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.
Yeah, they're thinking that they just found a way to sell pepper for $5 a tablespoon.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I like how they source their "curry" spice from India, but their cumin from Afghanistan, their coriander from Vietnam, their black pepper from Cambodia, and their cinnamon from Indonesia. What the gently caress is in the "curry," then?

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

TychoCelchuuu posted:

I like how they source their "curry" spice from India, but their cumin from Afghanistan, their coriander from Vietnam, their black pepper from Cambodia, and their cinnamon from Indonesia. What the gently caress is in the "curry," then?

I'm always surprised at how many people think curry is a spice like cumin.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

TychoCelchuuu posted:

“We source our spices from dictatorships all around the world!”

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Curry leaf?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

tarbrush posted:

Curry leaf?
I guarantee there is not curry leaf in their curry spice mix. These people would be insane to sell a curry mix that doesn't taste like every other curry mix, and other curry mixes don't have curry leaves.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Right, if you aren't from the US, we have something here called "Curry Powder", like you would find on the McCormick rack in a market in whitest of suburbs. It's bright yellow, moderately spicy. Makes a decent chicken salad if you mix a ton of it into some mayo.

EDIT:
No curry leaf, but does have fenugreek, that surprised me.

"Featuring a blend of coriander, cumin, tumeric, ginger, fenugreek, nutmeg, red pepper and onion"

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Curry is just a confusing name.

If they’re gonna blends all the spices together, give it a name that indicates that, like allspice.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I guess the McCormick stuff is just a milder version of this:

I don't think that the Jamaican Curry powders ever have Curry Leaf?

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

For that matter, when I was in Ireland, McDonalds had a "Curry Sauce" that didn't taste like any "curry" I'd ever had. Where does that one come from?

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

TychoCelchuuu posted:

I guarantee there is not curry leaf in their curry spice mix. These people would be insane to sell a curry mix that doesn't taste like every other curry mix, and other curry mixes don't have curry leaves.

660 curries has a whole blurb about how madras curry powder is not really even Indian and was invented by the east india company for the English, and then begrudgingly offers a madras curry powder recipe and 3 recipes in case what you really want is a sad british curry (and also notes that they'd be better with one of the garam masalas instead). It's never had curry leaf in it (curry leaf isn't a dry/ground spice anyway, it's like a bay leaf you use fresh, best bought frozen in the west).

e: note that garam masala is even less specific, as this just translates to "warming spice" and wildly different blends and flavors are used in different regions of india. the vaguely pumpkin pie garam masala most people are familiar with is just a punjabi incarnation

ee: would recommend 660 Curries to anyone who wants to get past the spice blends- it prescribes only whole spices, or spice blends you grind yourself from whole spices. It was v educational for me, and whole spices have a much longer shelf life anyway.

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Jan 28, 2019

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Maybe it's blended in India?

Curry leaf owns. A friend of mine is giving me a mini curry tree in spring when she propagates some cuttings. And she's had hers in a pot happily for the last 10 years. Very excited to not have to buy them for a buck a pack every time I go to Patel Bros or IGO.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Squashy Nipples posted:

For that matter, when I was in Ireland, McDonalds had a "Curry Sauce" that didn't taste like any "curry" I'd ever had. Where does that one come from?

I thinks it's highly modified version of indian curry which has been heavily modified by its passage through postwar Britain (very mild, very bland, add sultanas and probably turnips), 1950's Ireland (even milder and blander) to its final home - Irish chippers. I like it, but it's only for making into a thick brown sauce to slop over some chips; it's not even a nodding acquaintance of an actual indian curry at this point.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Curry is just a confusing name.

If they’re gonna blends all the spices together, give it a name that indicates that, like allspice.

Best post.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Suspect Bucket posted:

Maybe it's blended in India?
Which would ruin the entire thing, of course, because the ostensible reason for this is that they package it immediately after blending so it doesn't lose flavor, but if they're just sourcing a ton of pre-ground curry powder from India, it'll have lost a bunch of flavor already!

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

But the real reason is to take advantage of single people with too much disposable income

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
I'm gonna interrupt spicechat to say I made goulash and it's really underrated. You never see it on menus but goulash is really fuckin' good.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Croatoan posted:

I'm gonna interrupt spicechat to say I made goulash and it's really underrated. You never see it on menus but goulash is really fuckin' good.

Got the recipe you used?

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

That Works posted:

Got the recipe you used?

Sure I mean I just kind of wing it though. Here's pretty much what I do. I'll vary the amount of spices depending on my mood.

2lbs ground beef
28oz can diced tomatoes
2Tbsp tomato paste
1 or 2 cups beef broth
1 diced medium onion
3 Garlic cloves minced
2Tbsp Olive oil
2Tbsp Paprika
1 tsp Salt
1/2tsp Black pepper
1 or 2 tbsp soy sauce. IDK I just make a big squirt in the pot.
1 tsp Thyme
1Tbsp Oregano
1/2 tsp Rosemary
2 cups spiral pasta

Brown the beef in a stock put, drain and remove.
Sweat the onions and garlic in olive oil for about 4 or 5 minutes
Add the beef, tomatoes, spices, beef broth and pasta.
Simmer on medium for about 20 minutes.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

On a similar note I made a big batch of chicken paprikash and was amazed at how satisfying and warming it was

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Pookah posted:

I thinks it's highly modified version of indian curry which has been heavily modified by its passage through postwar Britain (very mild, very bland, add sultanas and probably turnips), 1950's Ireland (even milder and blander) to its final home - Irish chippers. I like it, but it's only for making into a thick brown sauce to slop over some chips; it's not even a nodding acquaintance of an actual indian curry at this point.

Surprisingly similar to Japanese curry though (they got it via Britain too albeit in the 19th century)

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Squashy Nipples posted:

No curry leaf, but does have fenugreek, that surprised me.

Known as methi in India. It is a thing; you can get curry with fresh methi too.

Also your chicken salad is a low rent Coronation Chicken which I can heartily recommend in a sammich.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
where do you live that pasta bolognese isn't on any menu

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

pile of brown posted:

where do you live that pasta bolognese isn't on any menu

that's not bolognese, that's "American chop suey" and it's not on any menu because people view it as home cooking and beneath restaurant food

though you'll definitely find it at rural restaurants in parts of the country

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Why would you serve a perfectly good chili with pasta?

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

No Wave posted:

Why would you serve a perfectly good chili with pasta?

I don't see the beans though :confused:

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Croatoan posted:

Sure I mean I just kind of wing it though. Here's pretty much what I do. I'll vary the amount of spices depending on my mood.

2lbs ground beef
28oz can diced tomatoes
2Tbsp tomato paste
1 or 2 cups beef broth
1 diced medium onion
3 Garlic cloves minced
2Tbsp Olive oil
2Tbsp Paprika
1 tsp Salt
1/2tsp Black pepper
1 tsp Thyme
1Tbsp Oregano
1/2 tsp Rosemary
2 cups spiral pasta

Midwestern winter flashbacks.

Take the leftovers, pack them into a casserole dish, top with cheese, and bake until it just starts to brown and you have a pretty passable food for when you get tired of hotdish. We'd use worcestershire instead of soy, though.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Liquid Communism posted:

Midwestern winter flashbacks.

Take the leftovers, pack them into a casserole dish, top with cheese, and bake until it just starts to brown and you have a pretty passable food for when you get tired of hotdish. We'd use worcestershire instead of soy, though.

push some cubed mozzarella into it for gooey bites

kenji has a pretty good recipe but I like to reduce about half a cup of red wine and toss that in too

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I also made Bolognese

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jan 29, 2019

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
That is what we called "goop" growing up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Croatoan posted:

2lbs ground beef
28oz can diced tomatoes
2Tbsp tomato paste
1 or 2 cups beef broth
1 diced medium onion
3 Garlic cloves minced
2Tbsp Olive oil
2Tbsp Paprika
1 tsp Salt
1/2tsp Black pepper
1 tsp Thyme
1Tbsp Oregano
1/2 tsp Rosemary
2 cups spiral pasta

My grandma's "goulash" was similar to this, though even more Midwesternified. Drop the garlic, we didn't have any allium stronger than onions. Use decade-old McCormick chili powder instead of paprika - and only a teaspoonful in the pot, that makes it "plenty hot" for Aunt Bernice. No thyme/oregano/rosemary, and sure as heck no soy sauce; no Worcestershire either, that stuff only goes in BBQ sauce (which is approximately equal amounts of ketchup and brown sugar with a few dashes of Worcestershire). Add a can or two of kidney beans, and use plain old elbow macaroni, God's Own Pasta.

I still make a version of that from time to time. Its nostalgia factor is about on par with green bean casserole for me. I tend to fancy it up in ways that would probably offend my ancestors, but I'm eating it and they're dead so I win.

The number of goulash/gulyás/gulaš recipes in the world is equal to the number of people who cook it, plus one. And almost all of them are delicious.