Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Ghostlight posted:

Captain America #2

Is that Bucky?..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Infinitum posted:

Is that Bucky?..

Becky*

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

TwoPair posted:

Very progressive for Cap to not try to force Gay Paris to straighten all the way back in the 40s

Well, even if he was going to, he certainly wouldn't do it wearing his Sunday finest

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

Infinitum posted:

Is that Bucky?..

no its becky

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dog Kisser posted:

no its becky

[Captain America I Understand.gif]

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

TwoPair posted:

Very progressive for Cap to not try to force Gay Paris to straighten all the way back in the 40s

One day, Captain America and his 'sidekick' Bucky are visiting Gay Paris, where they can freely indulge in their cross-dressing, gender-swapped DDlg (DMlb?) fantasies, when WAR breaks out!

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

TwoPair posted:

The only thing that rivalled how woke he was during the war was how asleep he was after it.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
OH

MY GOD

Did you see the size of her rear end?

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

achillesforever6 posted:

https://twitter.com/saladinahmed/status/1088494742328000518
Sorry if this is technically spoilers for Exiles just saw it pop in my feed

X-Men '92 is great and all but I would love for X-Men Evolution to pop up in an alternate universe or a hallucination or something. I have only the faintest memories of original XMTAS airings but XME was extremely my poo poo.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Rochallor posted:

X-Men '92 is great and all but I would love for X-Men Evolution to pop up in an alternate universe or a hallucination or something. I have only the faintest memories of original XMTAS airings but XME was extremely my poo poo.

what, is X-23 not good enough for you? :v:

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Imagine 616 X-23 but having the child voice from the original episode

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

hiddenriverninja posted:

Imagine 616 X-23 but having the child voice from the original episode

N O P E

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Johnny Aztec posted:

OH

MY GOD

Did you see the size of her rear end?

It's "look at her butt" smh

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Koalas March posted:

It's "look at her butt" smh

Right?

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

achillesforever6 posted:

https://twitter.com/saladinahmed/status/1088494742328000518
Sorry if this is technically spoilers for Exiles just saw it pop in my feed

Would have thought his biggest nightmare would be Pryde Of the X-Men where he's Australian for some reason.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Gnome de plume posted:

Would have thought his biggest nightmare would be Pryde Of the X-Men where he's Australian for some reason.

That cartoon is otherwise perfect; the accent is so what the gently caress.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
It was peak Crocodile Dundee/Mad Max season, they wanted to hop on the ausploitation train.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I thought it was because Wolverine made a joke at Pyro's (who is Australian) expense, and whoever was casting assumed that Logan was the Australian.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Supposedly it was because at the time, Claremont and everybody were thinking of making Wolvie Australian, but that never panned out. That's according to one of the "Pryde" producers, but I've never seen corroboration.

He also has the accent in Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Good thing they dropped that nonsense from the Fox movies. Could you imagine if he'd been Australian there?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

You call that a knife?
*snikt*
This is a knife.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

ConfusedUs posted:

You call that a knife?
*snikt*
This is a knife.

I can see you've played knifey-spooney before.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Keromaru5 posted:

Supposedly it was because at the time, Claremont and everybody were thinking of making Wolvie Australian, but that never panned out. That's according to one of the "Pryde" producers, but I've never seen corroboration.

You mean they were thinking of retconning his nationality in the comics? Or you mean they were thinking of making him Australian just for the cartoon?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I have a hard time believing Claremont was ever planning on making Wolverine Australian just because, given how he wrote every other character with an accent, his Aussie Wolverine would have made Steve Irwin look subtle.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Skwirl posted:

I have a hard time believing Claremont was ever planning on making Wolverine Australian just because, given how he wrote every other character with an accent, his Aussie Wolverine would have made Steve Irwin look subtle.

I bet he was going to do it as a gently caress you to John Byrne, somehow. Screw up Alpha Flight or something.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Lobok posted:

You mean they were thinking of retconning his nationality in the comics? Or you mean they were thinking of making him Australian just for the cartoon?

The former, according to Wikipedia:

quote:

Most importantly, fans were upset at the sound of the traditionally Canadian Wolverine, speaking with an Australian accent. This casting error seemed to stem from a brief run-through of the script in which, mockingly, Wolverine calls the traditionally Australian character Pyro, a dingo.[12][18][19][21] In the final version, however, Wolverine calls Toad a "dingo" rather than Pyro.

According to Rick Holberg (as taken directly from the book X-Men: The Characters and Their Universe), storyboard artist and finalizer for Pryde of the X-Men and Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends:

quote:

I ended up being the voice director on the show, and I was forced to use the Australian version of Wolverine (which coincidentally, foreshadowed the casting of Australian actor Hugh Jackman in the live-action X-Men film), because all of this Australian stuff was popular at the time - the Mad Max films, "Crocodile" Dundee, and so on - it was going to turn out (in the comics) that Wolverine was an expatriated Australian. The direction of the character however never got beyond the plotting stages and Wolverine remained Canadian in the comics.
Which means DoctorWhat and Yvonmukluk were also correct.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Keromaru5 posted:

The former, according to Wikipedia:

So it wasn't even going to be a retcon, just "I'm not American, I'm Canadian. But from Australia."

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Lobok posted:

So it wasn't even going to be a retcon, just "I'm not American, I'm Canadian. But from Australia."

Mel Gibson is American, but he does the Australian talking thing.

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

Koalas have claws, don't they?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
And syphilis.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

They also sound like terrible hell beasts so generally just avoid them if you can.

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

You'd have to adjust the mask but it could work.

Esplanade fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jan 28, 2019

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Phy posted:

And syphilis.

This is false. They actually have chlamydia.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Esplanade posted:

And two thumbs on each hand. Their hands are terrifying.

They also have the most human-like fingerprints of any animal.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

prefect posted:

Mel Gibson is American, but he does the Australian talking thing.

Yeah, but he at least grew up there. Retconning Wolverine to sound Australian the way Blade was revealed to have a British accent would be a massive "HUH?!?" moment.

Fellbat
Feb 23, 2014
The Dropbear special.

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

Random Stranger posted:

the actual ending is the execution of a tiny worm in a full sized electric chair. It's one of comic's first long form epics and definitely the first one for a comic book superhero (plenty of comic strips had months long storylines at that point, of course).

That ending sucked.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

ManiacClown posted:

Yeah, but he at least grew up there. Retconning Wolverine to sound Australian the way Blade was revealed to have a British accent would be a massive "HUH?!?" moment.

Blade has been British since 1973 just no one wrote him with that accent (though, to be fair, I can't think of many British-accented characters who are). Marv Wolfman initially wrote him with "Marvel black dialog" (his words) which certainly would lead to some confusion.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
Man, 'some muthafuckas are always trynna ice skate uphill' just doesn't sound the same with a British accent, of any kind.

''ere, lookit this oval office, 'es tryina ice skate up hill, wot? Lets giv'em a right kicking, lads."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Esplanade posted: