Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
You'd think that the fanbase would rebel at the point where they're flat-out telling you "Nothing you do below epic-level matters, it's all a kiddie ride made by Ed's GMPC."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...

Halloween Jack posted:

A thing to remember about technology is that even if you sent an engineer back in time, you can't just set up shop somewhere and create, say, modern firearms. You need an entire social infrastructure to provide you with raw materials and worked materials and warehouse space and a distribution network.

K.J. Parker's The Hammer is vaguely about this minus the time-travel, the basic dramatic thrust of the story is a dude trying to establish a factory to break an economic stranglehold and it goes moderately in-depth on that piece of it.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

fool_of_sound posted:

That’s actually funny tho

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Halloween Jack posted:

You'd think that the fanbase would rebel at the point where they're flat-out telling you "Nothing you do below epic-level matters, it's all a kiddie ride made by Ed's GMPC."

They don't tell you that, though?

Like, the 3e core has a note from Elminster that explicitly says "I can't fix everything, no matter how powerful you think I am, and the Realms need you."

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

CaptainRat posted:

K.J. Parker's The Hammer is vaguely about this minus the time-travel, the basic dramatic thrust of the story is a dude trying to establish a factory to break an economic stranglehold and it goes moderately in-depth on that piece of it.
Well, Lest Darkness Fall is a classic, and in that one the time-traveling engineer gets rich by inventing brandy. Which you could probably do if you got the glassworks you need.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Rand Brittain posted:

Like, the 3e core has a note from Elminster that explicitly says "I can't fix everything, no matter how powerful you think I am, and the Realms need you."

He's just being nice

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
I mean, he did get caught in a paralysis trap at one point and hang out in a dungeon for a few generations until he (finally made his saving throw) got loose.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Arivia posted:

3) It's happening anyway. The first flickers of real technological advancement were happening in 2e and 3e. The Realms has guns and printing presses and mechanized crossbows and a bunch of other little small things that put it more in a Renaissance context than a medieval one. If you look at stuff like Aurora's Whole Realms Catalogue or the House of Wonders in Baldur's Gate, the technological advances are being made, they're just not publicized. A 100 year time gap like 4e did really should have significantly moved the Realms along technologically, but Wizards decided not to.
I wish I lived in a world where 4e FR had done this. Holy poo poo, can you imagine the grognards.txt of that reality?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

get with the times, this is the Gun Coast now

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

90s Cringe Rock posted:

I wish I lived in a world where 4e FR had done this. Holy poo poo, can you imagine the grognards.txt of that reality?

Yep. Honestly when I ran a 4e FR game here on the forums the PCs dealt with slavers with primitive machine guns, dynamite and stuff. It was a lot of fun and fit the anarchist sandbox of Neverwinter very well.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Wasn't there someone who ran a post-industrial Forgotten Realms?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

You arrive at the factory, lunch pail in hand. Roll to see whether you packed peanut butter or egg salad

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Anyone got any recommendations for board or card games with a low set up and play time? My lunch group at work is getting sick of Coup (base game only) and Avalon (the Resistance). Social deduction, strategy, and 5+ player count are big pluses.

Couldn't find a "Recommend me" TG thread and I didn't want to start one because :effort:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Get initiated into the harpers and they're suddenly all "who holds back the electric car? we doooo~"

Doesn't one of Elminster's harem run the Harpers?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Dawgstar posted:

Doesn't one of Elminster's harem run the Harpers?

Here's the ha ha funny answer: No one actually runs the Harpers, there's a council, not a specific leader. Elminster is on the council, as well as several of the Seven Sisters (who I think you're talking about when you say "elminster's harem.") Elminster's main squeeze and a Seven Sister, the Simbul, is not a member of the Harpers because she is the ruler of Aglarond.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

SciFiDownBeat posted:

Anyone got any recommendations for board or card games with a low set up and play time? My lunch group at work is getting sick of Coup (base game only) and Avalon (the Resistance). Social deduction, strategy, and 5+ player count are big pluses.

Couldn't find a "Recommend me" TG thread and I didn't want to start one because :effort:

Total Rickall is 2-5 and a pretty fast and tense social game, also far better than a licensed game deserves to be.

Dracula's feast is a social deduction game that goes 4-8 is very fast and has an interesting gimmick in that there's almost no lying.

What's your target play time? Like is an hour still low? Or are you looking strictly for 10-30 minutes?
Because Hail Hydra is another licensed game that goes 5-8 and is a mix of Avalon/Resistance and the fun parts of BSG. Everyone gets to be a super hero with unique powers, and everyone contributes to every challenge, though a voted on 'can't trust them' character per round has reduced power.

Mascarade goes up to 12, and it's very very simple in basic rules and takes about a half hour to play. If folks have bad memories or dislike chaotic games I'd skip it though. I enjoyed it, but my group didn't.

There's of course also the classic of One night Ultimate werewolf and its bajillion expansions. Just make sure you're getting One Night. It goes up to 10-12.

Coolness Averted fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jan 28, 2019

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Arivia posted:

Here's the ha ha funny answer: No one actually runs the Harpers, there's a council, not a specific leader. Elminster is on the council, as well as several of the Seven Sisters (who I think you're talking about when you say "elminster's harem.") Elminster's main squeeze and a Seven Sister, the Simbul, is not a member of the Harpers because she is the ruler of Aglarond.

trick question, the entire forgotten realms setting is elminster's harem

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
The Harpers have a prestige class that, if you play your cards right and dupe your DM, you can use to funnel all your Favored Enemy bonuses into anything that's Evil aligned. That's all I learned about them before deciding to play one.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

If you're looking for short and simple, World in Flames is up your alley

If your group isnt sick of bluffing games id second one night ultimate werewolf or say secret hitler.

Serf
May 5, 2011

whatever happened to the cat centaur people who lived in the shaar? not to be confused with shar lol

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Thanks for the responses!

Coolness Averted posted:

Total Rickall is 2-5 and a pretty fast and tense social game, also far better than a licensed game deserves to be.

Dracula's feast is a social deduction game that goes 4-8 is very fast and has an interesting gimmick in that there's almost no lying.

What's your target play time? Like is an hour still low? Or are you looking strictly for 10-30 minutes?
Because Hail Hydra is another licensed game that goes 5-8 and is a mix of Avalon/Resistance and the fun parts of BSG. Everyone gets to be a super hero with unique powers, and everyone contributes to every challenge, though a voted on 'can't trust them' character per round has reduced power.

Mascarade goes up to 12, and it's very very simple in basic rules and takes about a half hour to play. If folks have bad memories or dislike chaotic games I'd skip it though. I enjoyed it, but my group didn't.

There's of course also the classic of One night Ultimate werewolf and its bajillion expansions. Just make sure you're getting One Night. It goes up to 10-12.

We've played one night and masquerade but didn't really gravitate to either. I tend to avoid licensed games but I'd be willing to give total Rickall and hail Hydra a try. Dracula's feast also sounds interesting from the bgg page.

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

If you're looking for short and simple, World in Flames is up your alley

If your group isnt sick of bluffing games id second one night ultimate werewolf or say secret hitler.

Never heard of world in flames, I'll take a look. I've heard good things about secret hitler so I'll look into that as well, although I'm afraid it might turn out to be a reskinned one night.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

SciFiDownBeat posted:

Thanks for the responses!

We've played one night and masquerade but didn't really gravitate to either. I tend to avoid licensed games but I'd be willing to give total Rickall and hail Hydra a try. Dracula's feast also sounds interesting from the bgg page.

Never heard of world in flames, I'll take a look. I've heard good things about secret hitler so I'll look into that as well, although I'm afraid it might turn out to be a reskinned one night.

nah secret hitler's biggest problem with your group may be it's just a new iteration of Avalon/resistance format. I think it builds on it pretty well, and is a fresh take on the hidden allegiance genre, but if your group is getting bored of the 'vote on if we trust these people' format that might be an issue. If you're playing 7-10 though instead of just 5, it's really cool though.

I also tend to avoid licensed games, and was wary of both of the ones I mentioned, but they're solid games that work if you're not into the IP (I hadn't seen Rick and Morty when I'd played it) but also fit the theme and really have fun elements if you're familiar with the source material.

If your group really likes the Avalon format/secret team style of games though, it's also worth checking out good cop bad cop and leaders of Euphoria. Leaders is a little more simple, but also was designed after Goodcop Badcop, so also fixes some quirks and 'flaws' (like player elimination).

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I think our group tends to like stuff with a good mix of social deduction and strategy. Anything with player elimination is off the table immediately unless the game is very quick (like coup or one night).

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
Yeah skip Good Cop Bad Cop then. Generally once eliminations start happening the game ends very quickly, but technically someone can die/be eliminated after only having taken 1 turn, and if you know someone is on the opposite team (in the base game at least) it behooves you to kill them. Expansions tried to fix this and add other wrinkles, but they still left elimination on the table. Leaders fixes this by having 'eliminated' players instead form a new team that's working against both other teams.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

SciFiDownBeat posted:

Never heard of world in flames, I'll take a look.

I was joking, world in flames takes weeks to play and even longer to understand. I also messed up because i meant to type a world at war, but got my multi month campaign wargames confused. Obligatory trip report from someone attempting to learn this
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/940888/life-altering-game-deserves-kind-session-report

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Serf posted:

whatever happened to the cat centaur people who lived in the shaar? not to be confused with shar lol

They died when the great rift collapsed in 4e lol

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Arivia posted:

Yep. Honestly when I ran a 4e FR game here on the forums the PCs dealt with slavers with primitive machine guns, dynamite and stuff. It was a lot of fun and fit the anarchist sandbox of Neverwinter very well.

Run Franco-Prussian war era FR next tia.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Would that we could all be as lucky as young Kelly

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

The orcas finally got her...

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Don't play D&D, kids! It'll inevitably give you a convenient fake cause of death to tell the private eye your religious nut parents send after you when you realize you're LGBT and if you go home they'll kill you!

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!

Plutonis posted:

The stuff about keeping "kingdoms small" and "preserving plant and animal life" does sound a bit anprim to me... Like are they the reason why FR never had an industrial revolution?

Another reason that their ideology encompasses a kind of agrarian pseudo-primitivism is that the Harpers are the closest the setting has to a default player character faction, and as such it needs to have a thematic space that druids, rangers, barbarians and other conceptually-related primal classes can fit into without warping the default concept of either the class or the organization.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

Yasssss, slay queen.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Hi I'm FCB and I have a problem: I've played Kill Team four times in the last three weeks.

Willingly. And I'm having fun.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
You know, I think I know how to fix the Forgotten Realms and give PCS more agency. First you need to move time ahead so that it's a more neutral arrow with less stuff defined in it so GM's can do more and players can create more. Then you need to explain away the ultra-powerful NPCs. Perhaps some kind of spell plague or something. Lastly, you need to tie it to a system that is all about players being powerful. Maybe 4th edition D&D?

Do all that and I'm sure you'll do well with fans!

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Covok posted:

You know, I think I know how to fix the Forgotten Realms and give PCS more agency. First you need to move time ahead so that it's a more neutral arrow with less stuff defined in it so GM's can do more and players can create more. Then you need to explain away the ultra-powerful NPCs. Perhaps some kind of spell plague or something. Lastly, you need to tie it to a system that is all about players being powerful. Maybe 4th edition D&D?

Do all that and I'm sure you'll do well with fans!

Checks out, the 4e neverwinter book was really cool. This is something I say as a hater of generic kitchen sink settings that are largely chronicles of the writer's group and their characters elevated to gods.

edit: But then again that's also a sorta lose/lose when you've got an established kitchen sink setting, isn't it? I mean if the solution to fix a setting is to strip it of the lore and plot devices its fans have come to love and others hate you're gonna have trouble finding an audience. Why would I buy a new FR splat? I hate FR. The folks who love it meanwhile probably aren't gonna be happy you changed their precious setting chasing me.

Coolness Averted fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Jan 29, 2019

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

food court bailiff posted:

Hi I'm FCB and I have a problem: I've played Kill Team four times in the last three weeks.

Are you having fun because you're playing Kill Team, or because of the people you're playing Kill Team with?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

food court bailiff posted:

The problem is that you need to play more Kill Team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Rand Brittain posted:

What other setting includes a note explicitly saying "This whole setting doesn't revolve around the author's masturbation fantasies! Honest!"