Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Dehumanize yourself and face to China

To be more clear I'm saying you're basically hosed. You're looking at another big war. Generally if you're close enough to China to get forced into being a tributary you'll want to always keep a peace deal or imperial marriage with them. Otherwise you're gonna have no choice but to submit or fight eventually.

Honky Dong Country fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jan 27, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

If you want to keep your state intact and try building up for another independence war, you can just surrender. If you just plain wanna be free, do a blaze of glory and to hell with the consequences.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

"Die a Glorious Death" is always the correct choice

Here's a picture of western Europe.
It's heresy. Heresy everywhere.

Radio Free Kobold fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jan 27, 2019

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Honky Dong Country posted:

Dehumanize yourself and face to China

To be more clear I'm saying you're basically hosed. You're looking at another big war. Generally if you're close enough to China to get forced into being a tributary you'll want to always keep a peace deal or imperial marriage with them. Otherwise you're gonna have no choice but to submit or fight eventually.

I just won an independence revolt against them fuckers, I haven't got enough time to do any of that

SlothfulCobra posted:

If you want to keep your state intact and try building up for another independence war, you can just surrender. If you just plain wanna be free, do a blaze of glory and to hell with the consequences.

That's what I intend to try. Being their tributary is better than being their vassal cause I'm still mostly independent, but as far as I remember the tribute is very heavy and I like and need the huge income I have from my silk road provinces (to be able to recruit loads of mercs any time I want and to be able to improve my levies building up my provinces. I need that, I'm surrounded by very big hostile guys, from the beginning of this game). I'm through with paying them bastards

But I wonder if I can win. I gues it's going to depend on how many chinese troops they summon and how well they play them. The AI is dumb and they will have to travel through all Tibet to get to me, so playing smart I might be able to make it. If they don't bring all the tributaries into the war again, in this case I will probably lose

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Elias_Maluco posted:

But I wonder if I can win. I gues it's going to depend on how many chinese troops they summon and how well they play them.
I take it you've never seen a full on actual invasion yet? Expect 100k+ that don't suffer attrition. Hope you have some good generals and unit composition!

lurksion posted:

No, China, you don't get to protectorate my protectorates.

lurksion fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Jan 28, 2019

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Extra post cus I can't click buttons right

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Radio Free Kobold posted:

"Die a Glorious Death" is always the correct choice

Here's a picture of western Europe.
It's heresy. Heresy everywhere.

I really gotta get around to doing a heresy game sometime. I really like the idea of forcing the reformation almost a thousand years ahead of schedule.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

SlothfulCobra posted:

I really gotta get around to doing a heresy game sometime. I really like the idea of forcing the reformation almost a thousand years ahead of schedule.

Live too long though, and in fighting the church, you become it.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
Some of my most memorable play-throughs were epic, grand designs that culminated in what amounted to a wet fart.

Losing is fun.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

lurksion posted:

I take it you've never seen a full on actual invasion yet? Expect 100k+ that don't suffer attrition. Hope you have some good generals and unit composition!

I beat them with 400k light infantry but I needed a nice long dwell in the fighting where my retinues were regenerating, and the attrition free Chinese soldiers were losing numbers sieging down all of Tibet, to survive.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

I'm playing the Charlemagne start and it's about the year 870 now. Orthodox has been entirely supplanted by Iconoclasts, both Romuva and Germanic have reformed, Catholicism has reached 0% Moral Authority and is detonating into at least three separate simultaneous heresies. Francia has split into its usual bordergore self (Five overlapping kingdoms), there are "So-and-so's Host" 1000-ish stacks of raiders led by landless schmucks everywhere (sacking all the temples and cratering MA), the Saxons have stolen the entire low countries, Tengri hordes have conquered the reformed-romuvan Lithuanian kingdom, and the Abbasid Blob (ruled by a series of teenage girl caliphs) is about the only part of the world that isn't a complete and utter shitshow. I'm pretty sure the Pope is a member of a satanic cult.
How?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

lurksion posted:

This part of the world is kinda new to me.

But since Im a pussy and I dont play ironman, I took a different approach: Ive reloaded an earlier save and quickly built my grace with the emperor with everything I had (eunuchs, girls, artifacts). Then I murdered my husband and got myself a chinese man

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007
What are fun ways to play a Satanic ruler? I just joined as a 16-year old; my previous experiences all came with older rulers who died before I had much of a chance to mess around with the mechanics.

Are there any negative repercussions to being in a Satanic cult (or any religious cult) as a ruler? I imagine my Court Chaplain can't have me killed. I'm playing as the Fylkir, too, so I am my own religious head.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Probably using the equal rights game rule.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Disillusionist posted:

What are fun ways to play a Satanic ruler? I just joined as a 16-year old; my previous experiences all came with older rulers who died before I had much of a chance to mess around with the mechanics.

Are there any negative repercussions to being in a Satanic cult (or any religious cult) as a ruler? I imagine my Court Chaplain can't have me killed. I'm playing as the Fylkir, too, so I am my own religious head.

You are going to have a lot of repercussions when you start doing the missions and using the powers. People will hate you hard

Buit in my experience, this poo poo is so overpowered you dont really need to care

edit: also you tend to get all kinds of bad, sinful traits

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Jan 28, 2019

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Don't know, don't want to know :psyduck:

Disillusionist posted:

Use Tainted Touch to give people black syphilpox. Use demonic possession to force your rival to do everything you tell him, like revoking all his titles. Use Demonic Impregnation to birth the literal antichrist.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Imo Satanics dovetail reeeeeeaaaallly well with Merchant Republics. They're both all about being a murdering bastard.

Also don't forget that you can devour your own children to prolong your wretched existence.

I also like to go down the entire membership list and offer vassalization to everybody I can upon becoming High Priest. You can end up with some weird territory that way.

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Are those extra options anywhere balanced? Haven't played for several DLCs and didn't see any of those special options like Satanism yet, but this sounds Insanely strong.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Charlz Guybon posted:

gently caress that bullshit. In Storm of Chaos the forces of Chaos got their asses absolutely stomped and only ludicrous blatant cheating on the part of Games Workshop even made it close. We're talking 1927 rigged Liberian election level cheating.

again, this isn't true, it's just something people like to repeat for some reason

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Charlz Guybon posted:

gently caress that bullshit. In Storm of Chaos the forces of Chaos got their asses absolutely stomped and only ludicrous blatant cheating on the part of Games Workshop even made it close. We're talking 1927 rigged Liberian election level cheating.

not really. They just horribly misdesigned that event

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Goons Are Great posted:

Are those extra options anywhere balanced? Haven't played for several DLCs and didn't see any of those special options like Satanism yet, but this sounds Insanely strong.

There's drawbacks to satanism. Like getting found out and excommunicated, which can be a serious problem if you're Catholic or have a liege or something (though less so as a MR with the money firehose to spray at the Pope). It also stacks bad traits on your character over time, including physical ones like hunchback and poo poo.

That's why I like satanic Merchant Republics though. Who gives a gently caress if your dude is a disgusting sinful mutant that everybody hates when you're systematically murdering the patricians to keep an iron grip on Doge elections. And later on when the money hose really gets going and you're starting to conquer land and get enough vassals to want to be less hated you just knock it off with the Satanic stuff and use the hermetics or a monastic society instead.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Don't know, don't want to know :psyduck:

Use Tainted Touch to give people black syphilpox. Use demonic possession to force your rival to do everything you tell him, like revoking all his titles. Use Demonic Impregnation to birth the literal antichrist.

Also dark healing, the most sure way to get rid of any disease. Also the fact you can use tainted touch on foreign rulers you are at war with. Also the fact dark points build easily and quickly, you can be high priest in no time. And numerous events that will give you stats boosts . And consuming your children (live more and get rid of unwanted heirs)

There are drawbacks for sure, but if you keep it up, the powers and bonuses will surely outweigh those (although I never played satanic as a catholic, being excommunicated is bad)

Satanic is really overpowered, imo. I love it, but is almost cheat mode with a few consequences

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jan 28, 2019

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

FreudianSlippers posted:

pfff.

As an Icelander I have a beef with Harald Fairhair. Iceland was settled (allegedly) by Norwegians either fleeing his reign or those who had fought against him during his conquest that didn't want to have a king for an enemy. If that fucker hadn't taken over Norway I wouldn't be here in the rear end end of nowhere.

Now you know how I feel about the German monarchy. #1, if the Kaiser hadn't enforced the Prussian Union, my ancestors probably wouldn't have emigrated to the USA in the first place, and #2, if the other Kaiser hadn't had a inferiority complex and started a world war, my already-immigrated ancestors from WWI onwards would probably have continued to be English-German bilingual and I may have been raised bilingual too.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Oh yeah I forgot dark healing. It's easily one if the best satanic abilities. Have a disease that can only be cured by letting the doctor use an extreme treatment like hacking off your dick and balls? Well, let the doctor have at it! Then pray to Satan to regrow your giblets. Arm cut off in battle? Not anymore! It's hilarious.

Horsebanger
Jun 25, 2009

Steering wheel! Hey! Steering wheel! Someone tell him to give it to me!

Haha, Holy Fury owns.

I shattered the world in 769 and played as the only hellenic Count in the world.

I've consolidated the kingdoms of Greece and Epirus, and taken Sicily. I put my heir in charge of Sicily and he found the Brazen bull and now he can put people in it to get revolt risk reduction and stop vassals entering factions.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Man I forgot how annoying secret religions are in a big empire. One of my vassal kings at some point flipped from Sunni to (reformed) Bon and then started revoking and force converting his vassals.

Now I have a drat infestation of Sunnis that are infecting all my courtiers, including the ones I want to keep around (aka eugenics breeding).

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Charlz Guybon posted:

Lol no. GW barely salvaged a story out of their broken 12 v 2 faction campaign. Everyone knew exactly how it would end before it began. The corporate writers do not have hardons for the badwrong faction

You realize that GW also wrote the grimgor punking... wait no this is dumb.

You know what else is dumb: the fancy new byzantine electoral law where the emperor stands a great chance of losing constantinople and it’s literally impossible for the AI to maintain a byzantine dynasty.

Honestly this game kinda sucks now after all the expansions and poo poo. I’ve been playing on and off for years and it’s gone full into “wacky pagan adventures” at the expense of all the classic kings and sultans and various other assholes. Yeah doing the wacky poo poo is fun once but picking a random character and trying to roleplay is worse than ever. It’s impossible for anything close to history to play out. I don’t want railroading but the truth is the game is railroaded, it’s just instead of historically railroaded, it’s railroaded via start date.

But boy, karling run #22 and enatic hellenic alexandrian viking run #17 are so well served

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Jan 29, 2019

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Lol no. GW barely salvaged a story out of their broken 12 v 2 faction campaign. Everyone knew exactly how it would end before it began. The corporate writers do not have hardons for the badwrong faction

You realize that GW also wrote the grimgor punking... wait no this is dumb.

You know what else is dumb: the fancy new byzantine electoral law where the emperor stands a great chance of losing constantinople and it’s literally impossible for the AI to maintain a byzantine dynasty.

Honestly this game kinda sucks now after all the expansions and poo poo. I’ve been playing on and off for years and it’s gone full into “wacky pagan adventures” at the expense of all the classic kings and sultans and various other assholes. Yeah doing the wacky poo poo is fun once but picking a random character and trying to roleplay is worse than ever. It’s impossible for anything close to history to play out. I don’t want railroading but the truth is the game is railroaded, it’s just instead of historically railroaded, it’s railroaded via start date.

But boy, karling run #22 and enatic hellenic alexandrian viking run #17 are so well served

Yeah I like playing it still but I miss the historical outcomes. I found even 1066 start date devolved into a chaotic mess after a hundred years or so. I don’t remember it being this bad early on in the games life but might be rose tinted glasses and all that. I need to check out CK2+ and HIP, those tend to go for a bit more historical outcome.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I promise you, GW super-definitely 100% did not expect the asswhupping Chaos received in that event.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

Got a link that breaks that down? it sounds interesting.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
It's less interesting than it sounds. Warhammer occasionally runs these narrative campaigns, where the outcome of the story is determined by results sent in from matches run by local game shops. This particular time though, they had just rejiggered the rulebook, which meant the balance was wonky, and they hadn't accounted for a few factors working against the Chaos team, like the fact that the Chaos armies the event was designed to sell were being picked up by new players (who ran into experienced players with their existing armies and got smushed).

The event was written as a big-rear end Chaos invasion that would completely alter the narrative landscape, but the Chaos armies (represented by the playerbase) got completely stonewalled. There was a campaign map online tracking the progress of the "invasion", and Chaos couldn't get out of their starting area. Games Workshop clearly didn't have a narrative plan for "the invasion fails completely", so they just ignored the results and told the story they wanted (Chaos wins, but ultimately the status quo remains intact).

Players were pissed because it made a mockery of the whole "you decide the outcome!" conceit. Then the whole thing got retconned afterwards, making it all extra-special pointless.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Finally bought Holy Fury, started a new game, died of cancer in year two, my 7 year old heir got pushed out a window in year three, game over.

It's good to be back :allears:

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

HIP looks to be possibly updating next week, so keep y'all eyes out for that!

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1559282479

finally

Owlkill
Jul 1, 2009
I've been playing this for about five years and I finally completed a 1066-1453 playthrough, going from Duke of Ungvar to an Empire of Carpathia that covered Hungary, Wallachia, Galicia-Volhynia and most of Poland (I hadn't yet usurped the title and ran out of time just as I was cleaning up a couple of exclaves).

Definitely seems like there've been some improvements on border gore, though things did suddenly get messy late-game. Couldn't figure out how to take an endgame map screenshot but highlights included HRE having an unbroken north-south swath of the map from Denmark down to Ghana , the Seljuks holding a province in Norway, the Kingdom of Jerusalem popping up in East Africa, a blue France and a red France, and Crusader Thrace ending up as a single province held by a Cumanian in Central Asia.

I feel like that playthrough showed me most of what the game has to offer as a European Catholic monarch, any suggestions as to an interesting next step? I've got all the DLC so I'm pretty swamped with options, feeling like Africa or Central Asia might be a good option.

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007
What are some fun underdog scenarios? I've done Karen (restored Persian Empire) already.

I've barely played Catholics or Muslims and haven't touched the continent of India. I'm looking for something that's a decent challenge but isn't "you start with one province surrounded by an empire and it will take you 300 years to become a Duke" type stuff.

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

What are your opinions on Conclave?
Since I bought the last remaining DLCs I was still lacking, I was considering getting that one after all as well, but I heard very negative things about it, including it being able to break the game entirely, due to the council getting absurdly strong or simply loving up your stuff. On the other hand, I read about interesting complexity added by the council being an actual factor in your realm.

Goons Are Gifts fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Feb 1, 2019

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Conclave is great and just about the most important DLC in my opinion.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Goons Are Great posted:

What are your opinions on Conclave?
Since I bought the last remaining DLCs I was still lacking, I was considering getting that one after all as well, but I heard very negative things about it, including it being able to break the game entirely, due to the council getting absurdly strong or simply loving up your stuff. On the other hand, I read about interesting complexity added by the council being an actual factor in your realm.

There's a big post about Conclave in my OP :mad:

The basic gist is, most of the things that make people complain about Conclave came with the free patch, so you've got those features whether you buy Conclave or not. And you can disable shattered retread and defensive pacts as a game rule when you start a new game.

Conclave itself is one of the four must-buy DLC in my opinion. It does make the council stronger than the rubber stamp of a council you have without Conclave, but that's part of the point. It's a lot more engaging, and if you're halfway familiar with the game, you can mitigate the challenge posed by your council. Conclave is also especially great if you play as a vassal, since you can make use of a strong council much more than the AI does.

tl;dr: Conclave is very good, buy it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Torrannor posted:

There's a big post about Conclave in my OP :mad:

The basic gist is, most of the things that make people complain about Conclave came with the free patch, so you've got those features whether you buy Conclave or not. And you can disable shattered retread and defensive pacts as a game rule when you start a new game.

Conclave itself is one of the four must-buy DLC in my opinion. It does make the council stronger than the rubber stamp of a council you have without Conclave, but that's part of the point. It's a lot more engaging, and if you're halfway familiar with the game, you can mitigate the challenge posed by your council. Conclave is also especially great if you play as a vassal, since you can make use of a strong council much more than the AI does.

tl;dr: Conclave is very good, buy it.

Apologies, didn't think of reading the op :downs:

However that confirms my expectations about it, so I just bought it and am curious how this will turn out. The council that was barely a thing in the original game bothered me for a while already, just placing anyone with high stats in there and do your thing, so I guess I hope for them to try to murder me. Or whatever those sinister people are doing.