Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

downout
Jul 6, 2009

ultrafilter posted:

Requirements are flexible, but if there's a list, the requirements near the bottom tend to be more flexible than the ones near the top.

This is a really good point. In hindsight it seems self-evident, but I've never really considered it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

mmm11105 posted:

The NY place flew me out to visit to talk teams with them, see where I'd be placed if I took the job. Pretty much reaffirmed what I already knew. The work there is definitely more technically complicated and specialized, I'd get to work on some very technically interesting projects, at the expense of a little less variety and less exposure to the business as a whole. New York is as I remember, interesting but annoying from a livability perspective, trains are still always late, spend an hour and half stuck in traffic on the highway in a Lyft trying to get to the airport, which is all delayed because of political nonsense.

Spoke with the tech manager there, he said he doesn't see any reason why they wouldn't be willing offer me a position again in a couple of years if I want to go elsewhere in the meantime, unless something happens that makes them cut hiring. Also made the suggestion that I could just take some of the signing bonus and spend a month or two in Japan before starting - though it's not quite the same, I generally enjoy living in places more than just tourism, you get a break from the touristing during the week and get to see a different side of things.

By the end of my day of meetings there I had mostly talked myself into taking the NY job, but as I'm waiting for my plane back I find myself starting to drift back the other way.

Your a moron dude.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Blinkz0rz posted:

I'm at the point where I sincerely hope both companies pull their offers because your inability to make a loving decision is making me hate everything about a person I don't even know.

I'm usually not this spiteful but in this case I'm right there with you.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

mmm11105 posted:

Spoke with the tech manager there, he said he doesn't see any reason why they wouldn't be willing offer me a position again in a couple of years if I want to go elsewhere in the meantime, unless something happens that makes them cut hiring. Also made the suggestion that I could just take some of the signing bonus and spend a month or two in Japan before starting - though it's not quite the same, I generally enjoy living in places more than just tourism, you get a break from the touristing during the week and get to see a different side of things.

A conversation like that would be a red flag to me as a hiring decision maker.

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

ModeSix posted:

So, I have an interview lined up through the lead developer at the company I work at. I've never worked in any sort of professional capacity in development, but I've been playing with code for around 20 years at this point.

The lead dev and I get on very well and we're always talking about development things so he knows I know something. The interview he lined up for me is sort of an informal "I know a guy who can help you get started " kind of thing. I'm super pumped and excited about it with one caveat, I'll be doing PHP, which is something I haven't touched since uh I don't even know how long. The guy interviewing me knows this and his response is "that's OK, if you know one you can work in them all".

I'll be talking with the guy on Saturday. Any advice on things I should read up on specific to php? I'm almost certain I'll get some work out of this, but would rather have some insight from someone who works with php about the current php stack.

Reporting back on this. He had me do a brief coding test, created a php form mailer that also drops responses into a mysql db. Did it with ease, considering I haven't touched php in 15 years.

Got hired as a contractor. So, here starts my possible future as a developer.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Possible? This is it! You made it! Now keep fakin it.

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

Keetron posted:

Possible? This is it! You made it! Now keep fakin it.

As a note. I'm old as dust (over 40). So if it can happen for me it can happen for anyone.

return0
Apr 11, 2007

mmm11105 posted:

The NY place flew me out to visit to talk teams with them, see where I'd be placed if I took the job. Pretty much reaffirmed what I already knew. The work there is definitely more technically complicated and specialized, I'd get to work on some very technically interesting projects, at the expense of a little less variety and less exposure to the business as a whole. New York is as I remember, interesting but annoying from a livability perspective, trains are still always late, spend an hour and half stuck in traffic on the highway in a Lyft trying to get to the airport, which is all delayed because of political nonsense.

By the end of my day of meetings there I had mostly talked myself into taking the NY job, but as I'm waiting for my plane back I find myself starting to drift back the other way.

Just in case you're not aware, working in Japan can really loving suck. I've flown out to support various development teams in Japan across multiple industries, and in each place the work culture was just awful.

It's obviously not true of every single place, but it's a very culturally normalized notion that you'll dedicate pretty much your whole life to work - like leaving your home to begin your commute at 0700, working until the boss leaves at 2100, then going drinking after work with colleagues before doing it all again, six days a week.

Be careful you're not romanticizing a garbage situation, as well as throwing away a far better sounding opportunity in NYC

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

return0 posted:

Just in case you're not aware, working in Japan can really loving suck. I've flown out to support various development teams in Japan across multiple industries, and in each place the work culture was just awful.

It's obviously not true of every single place, but it's a very culturally normalized notion that you'll dedicate pretty much your whole life to work - like leaving your home to begin your commute at 0700, working until the boss leaves at 2100, then going drinking after work with colleagues before doing it all again, six days a week.

Be careful you're not romanticizing a garbage situation, as well as throwing away a far better sounding opportunity in NYC

Correction: working in Japan as a Japanese person can really loving suck. "Foreign-looking foreigners", as they call them, are treated completely differently and are held to very different standards compared to everybody else. You don't face anywhere near as much social pressure to stay long hours and you're often on a completely different pay scale compared to everybody else, which can often lead to resentment, discrimination, and tense relationships with coworkers. Particularly with older coworkers when they realize how much you're making at your age compared to them.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Also the company that he would be working for is owned/run by a foreigner.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

The only cool workplace cultures I've seen in Japan were all at small places (like 3-10 employees), not corporations.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches
That dude has a thread in BFC as well as his questions here. He is going to NYC.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

ModeSix posted:

As a note. I'm old as dust (over 40). So if it can happen for me it can happen for anyone.

Without having much prior experience or education, I switched from development to development at 38. I was in QA for 14 years before that, in all possible roles and levels. Now 41 and often the oldest dev they have on board.

Uhh Nope
May 20, 2016

Uhh Nope posted:

...No correspondence from Amazon recruiter...

Still struggling with this, but I have applied to other jobs in the meantime.

Yesterday marks the 2 month anniversary since I took the evaluation :toot: I've been emailing weekly but I've run out of polite messages to put in the email I think I might just start putting, "Hey haven't heard back yet"?

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

mmm11105 posted:

Spoke with the tech manager there, he said he doesn't see any reason why they wouldn't be willing offer me a position again in a couple of years if I want to go elsewhere in the meantime, unless something happens that makes them cut hiring.
ahahahaha... because we told you it wouldn't happen? you thought the best way to suss this one out was... ask the hiring manager directly? and put 100% full faith in their response?

jesus take a job, any job, before they figure you out

just, you know, ask to meet the person who turned them down and hopped right on board after fuckign around abroad with a low-rent outfit for a few years, should be easy

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I THINK THAT "PRIMA DONNA" IS "PRE-MADONNA". I MAY BE ILLITERATE.

Uhh Nope posted:

Still struggling with this, but I have applied to other jobs in the meantime.

Yesterday marks the 2 month anniversary since I took the evaluation :toot: I've been emailing weekly but I've run out of polite messages to put in the email I think I might just start putting, "Hey haven't heard back yet"?

If they're not responding to you, then you need to stop emailing them and move on. In fact, never do more than 1 follow up email or call.

Don't take it as a personal attack, but they probably found someone they think is a better fit, can under pay, or they're in a hiring freeze. It sucks being left in the dark, but that's how some recruiters operate.

On the flip side, Google took over a month to get back to me so it's possible your recruiter got sick, on vacation or got poo poo canned.

elite_garbage_man fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jan 28, 2019

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

JawnV6 posted:

ahahahaha... because we told you it wouldn't happen? you thought the best way to suss this one out was... ask the hiring manager directly? and put 100% full faith in their response?

just, you know, ask to meet the person who turned them down and hopped right on board after fuckign around abroad with a low-rent outfit for a few years, should be easy

I was trying to be constructive in my post, but in my head I was pretty much thinking this.

Uhh Nope
May 20, 2016

elite_garbage_man posted:

If they're not responding to you, then you need to stop emailing them and move on. In fact, never do more than 1 follow up email or call.

What's the harm in emailing if I'm being polite and not trying to harass anyone? The worst outcome is I won't get the job which is the de facto status right now anyways.

I have begun moving on otherwise so it's not stagnating me either.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Don't take it as a personal attack, but they probably found someone they think is a better fit, can under pay, or they're in a hiring freeze. It sucks being left in the dark, but that's how some recruiters operate.

On the flip side, Google took over a month to get back to me so it's possible your recruiter got sick, on vacation or got poo poo canned.

Agreed. A friend of mine also had a month-long wait after actually interviewing at a company because the hiring manager and his boss both left the division. So anything can happen.

And, yes, keep applying. You should always have at least 3 applications going on somewhere.

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010

Uhh Nope posted:

What's the harm in emailing if I'm being polite and not trying to harass anyone? The worst outcome is I won't get the job which is the de facto status right now anyways.

I have begun moving on otherwise so it's not stagnating me either.

You lose leverage by coming off as desperate. If you've been emailing every week, they're going to assume that you don't have anything else on the table, or are so blind with working at their specific company that you'll take any compensation they throw at you.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

You lose leverage by coming off as desperate. If you've been emailing every week, they're going to assume that you don't have anything else on the table, or are so blind with working at their specific company that you'll take any compensation they throw at you.

For some reason YouTube suggested this video to me last week and I skimmed it while working. I've queued it up to the only interesting part of the video where the speaker describes his 2.3 GPA and failure of the basic algorithms and software engineering courses at UBC, only to land an internship and job at Amazon (I think he mentions earlier its in firmware) because he and his friends crammed for the test that happens during the interview. I find it amazing for both the dude's tenacity and what it says about how broken interviewing seems to be, or if you don't like that, how dumb all the 'work hard in school' mantras turned out to be.

Uhh Nope
May 20, 2016

I would agree with you if this wasn't an all or nothing situation. But it is, the reality is that I have nothing to lose because there presumably won't be any offers on the table good OR bad. I would prefer they get back to me with a garbage offer that I can turn down and close the book on vs not hearing back at all.

I'm in kind of an exceptional situation too, I think, because at no point did I actually apply for any positions. They contacted me first!

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Uhh Nope posted:

I would agree with you if this wasn't an all or nothing situation. But it is, the reality is that I have nothing to lose because there presumably won't be any offers on the table good OR bad. I would prefer they get back to me with a garbage offer that I can turn down and close the book on vs not hearing back at all.

I'm in kind of an exceptional situation too, I think, because at no point did I actually apply for any positions. They contacted me first!

You're wasting your time emailing them and talking about it on a forum. There's a lot of power in learning when to close the book yourself. Also, having a FAANG contact you directly isn't symbolic of anything, unless maybe it's Apple, because they don't really do that as much.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

MickeyFinn posted:

For some reason YouTube suggested this video to me last week and I skimmed it while working. I've queued it up to the only interesting part of the video where the speaker describes his 2.3 GPA and failure of the basic algorithms and software engineering courses at UBC, only to land an internship and job at Amazon (I think he mentions earlier its in firmware) because he and his friends crammed for the test that happens during the interview. I find it amazing for both the dude's tenacity and what it says about how broken interviewing seems to be, or if you don't like that, how dumb all the 'work hard in school' mantras turned out to be.

If you are smart enough to learn all the algorithms that show up in interviews and when to apply them then that's a pretty good signal you are smart enough to work at one of those companies and be successful, especially for an internship.
"Learn the stuff you need to know to get hired" isn't much of a life hack

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010

Uhh Nope posted:

Recruiters will scrape through linkedin/monster/etc.. and reach out first to basically anyone with a few matching keywords in their profile. I've experienced this several times, to include Amazon, even when I'm not actively looking for work. Several other programmers in this thread have too. While it is cool to be poached, this is not a unique situation to be in.

Let go and move on with the process.

elite_garbage_man fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jan 28, 2019

Uhh Nope
May 20, 2016

Helicity posted:

You're wasting your time emailing them and talking about it on a forum. There's a lot of power in learning when to close the book yourself. Also, having a FAANG contact you directly isn't symbolic of anything, unless maybe it's Apple, because they don't really do that as much.

Even with that aside it takes two minutes tops for me to write an email. I'm not putting Amazon up on a pedestal either, it just happens to be the company out of all I've applied to that's had some activity and some promise so far.

I posted here about it today mostly because I was looking for solutions to the possibility that the recruiter has left the company, and it doesn't sound like there's anything I can do really.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Recruiters will scrape through linkedin/monster/etc.. and reach out first to basically anyone with a few matching keywords in their profile. While it is cool to be poached, this is not a unique situation to be in.

Let go and move on with the process.

Plus even if you don't get the job now you'll have Amazon recruiters messaging you at least once a year from now on, so you can try again (or tell them to go gently caress themselves since they never bothered to get back to you this time around)

return0
Apr 11, 2007

JawnV6 posted:

This is brutal but extremely true.

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
Are there any good mobile apps that folks would recommend to help with studying for a programming interview? Basically looking for something like a condensed/reference version of CTCI that I can use on my phone whenever I have a free moment.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
I downloaded SoloLean and it has basic tutorials for different languages and concepts. There is a coding challenge section but I haven't looked at it. The app allows you to actually write code, compile, run.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

I had 3 all day onsites 2 weeks ago and none of them got back to me. drat, that's some cold shoulder. I have been at this for 6 years, so crappy recruiters and employers are no surprise, but still it's depressing at times.

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.
I've been waiting almost a month now to hear this one place I interviewed with's final answer. The interview went amazingly well and they called me a couple days after to tell me they think I'm a good fit and that everyone I interviewed with had good reviews of me, but this loving wait is brutal. I'm waiting to hear from another company as well, that one didn't go quite as perfectly (still pretty good though) and they seem to have interviewed like 10 people or so from what I gathered so I'm not as confident about that one. My secret is to just keep on keeping on as if I were guaranteed to be rejected, that way I don't get too hung up on any particular opportunity and I keep my application sending levels high.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth
Is https://www.testdome.com/ a decent resource to prepare for interviews? If not, what are better alternatives?

Uhh Nope
May 20, 2016

Forgall posted:

Is https://www.testdome.com/ a decent resource to prepare for interviews? If not, what are better alternatives?

If you're looking for code exercises then the most recommended one I saw was https://www.leetcode.com it's free to start with some premium features for $35/mo.

I got the premium because they have this "Explore" section where they've curated some exercises together grouped by topic or in the case that I cared about, by company. I was working through the Amazon collection.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

pokie posted:

I had 3 all day onsites 2 weeks ago and none of them got back to me. drat, that's some cold shoulder. I have been at this for 6 years, so crappy recruiters and employers are no surprise, but still it's depressing at times.

JFC that's bad. At least leave them bad Glassdoor reviews

Uhh Nope
May 20, 2016
So I had a couple "Under Review" applications on my Amazon Jobs account and I try to log in to check them today and it tells me "no account exists for this email".

I guess I'm done.

SingleUseOnly
Nov 14, 2018
I've been pointed over here from another thread, this the place to ask about a career path in programming?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

SingleUseOnly posted:

I've been pointed over here from another thread, this the place to ask about a career path in programming?

could ask in yospos for joke (but good af) answers

otherwise this here's the place, sure

SingleUseOnly
Nov 14, 2018
-29 UK
-Currently NEET and on the dole since last month since I quit my night-shift shelf-stacking job which was loving with my mental health and sleep patterns
-Only 5 years of working in supermarkets and nothing else
-2.2 in Maths BSc(hons) from 8 years ago of which I remember nothing
-Around £2k in savings
-Still living with my parents so at least rent and food is not a concern just yet

I've decided I want to get into the IT field with software developer as the end goal, but I can't figure out a definite pathway into or which certs to get. Or even any position in IT. Even entry-level helpdesk requires prior experience. Every time I ask online, I keep getting a different answer on what to do or what not to do; they tell me to start at helpdesk and then someone tells me it's a waste of time and I'd never get in that way and that I should go for QA Tester for entry etc. And each time I look at the entry points they suggest, and they always tell me you don't need experience or certs, but the job description has a huge list of requirements and experience required. Even internships want 6+ months experience and certs. (And each one of the alternative pathways they give me have their own certs).

How the hell do I get my foot in the door to anything IT-related? I swear to God studying medicine would have been more straight-forward than this loving poo poo.

(Right now I've just started learning to program with java and that's it for now but with nobody giving me a straight answer I don't know if I should pick up another language)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

One of the recruiters got back to me. I was supposedly the most technically skilled of all of their candidates, but they alluded to some communication issues and not smiling enough. Some bullshit. I guess I am gonna bring some ice cream bars to the next interview or something. I'm really bummed out by this interview round for some reason.
Edit: The recruiter just asked if I wanted to take a personality test to try to change the company's mind.

Ah well, I applied for a bunch more positions today. When you apply to big companies, how do you try to select a particular role? E.g. Apple has 600+ data science job postings - it's kind of absurd.

pokie fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jan 31, 2019