Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Haifisch posted:

There's a (spoilery) Q&A with the author that confirms he's drawn that way on purpose, to reflect how black youths are treated as being much older than they are by society(especially law enforcement).

Vargo posted:

I've also wondered if the "old man faces" are an intentional artistic decision by Bondia, referencing how often black and brown children are "aged up" by the media and law enforcement, 12-year old children like Tamir Rice being referred to as if they were grown men, and treated like we should fear them like you would an adult, etc.

Called it!

EDIT: Man, what a terrible new page snipe. Have some Mutts:

Vargo fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Jan 28, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Johnny Walker posted:

Mary Worth

That may be the worst metaphor I've ever read.
I don't know, I think she was about to go somewhere relevant before she lost her train of thought.
Mary Quint

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Viivi & Wagner

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Alley Oop

Dog Eat Doug

If they're not telepathic, how are they hearing each other's thoughts? :psyduck:

Fred Basset

Frog Applause

My uncle was complaining about this exact thing just the other day.

Herb and Jamaal

Judge Parker

Little Oop

Mary Worth

Office Hours

Reply All

Ziggy

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

yikes

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Tiggum posted:

Mary Worth

Oof if Mary Worth's going to have this bitch make a false rape accusation.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Ziggy's gonna gently caress a poptart.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Death Ray posted:

Thank you, everyone, for your help suggesting characters to include in my crowd scene. I added a few of your ideas, and will use others in future pages.

Here is the current page in progress. How many famous faces can YOU spot?

I see Corto and Ras.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

Help me out here, aircaft goons. That's clearly a trijet: 727, DC-10, MD-11? All of them are just cargo right now, is there another trijet in passenger service? Yeah the Yak-42 I guess, but I doubt an american airline would have those.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

In today's Corto Maltese: Corto herds cats as a second job, or "Love is like a tree: it grows by itself, roots itself deeply in our being and continues to flourish over a heart in - wait, wrong city AGAIN. Also, wrong country", or Sick tats, Lion-bro

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Palette swap
Mar 29, 2010

"There is a professional misconduct hearing over here with your name on it"

Death Ray posted:

Thank you, everyone, for your help suggesting characters to include in my crowd scene. I added a few of your ideas, and will use others in future pages.

Here is the current page in progress. How many famous faces can YOU spot?

In the second panel I see Orson's head and Dana from WD any particular reason why?
Also I didn't catch your post earlier but you should add a Tina's Groove character if you haven't already.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

CannonFodder posted:

Can you or anyone give a link to where they meet back up as adults?

Try starting about here. Gene had been home from his first year of college for a year, and this was, I think, the first indication that he and Mary Lou had been corresponding as adults.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (July 6, 2007)

Arlo and Janis Classic (July 6, 1997)

Garfield Classic (July 6, 1987)

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Some Guy TT posted:

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

I gotta be honest. I have no freaking idea what order the Cheer Up Boss Dharma comic panels are suppose to be read in.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Surgeon's Tales

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belial

Swedish army had quite large number of Scottish troops. In the book they are mentioned several times.

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Alterian posted:

I gotta be honest. I have no freaking idea what order the Cheer Up Boss Dharma comic panels are suppose to be read in.

It's easy. You read the left one, then the right one, then you do the hokey pokey and you turn yourself around.

It's actually:
1 4
2 5
3 6
7 10
8 11
9 12

Imagine that they're a grid of manga pages, though the speed bubbles are still read left->right (I think?).

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Pastry of the Year posted:

Try starting about here. Gene had been home from his first year of college for a year, and this was, I think, the first indication that he and Mary Lou had been corresponding as adults.

I've been reading this, and I'd just like to say, for anyone wondering why Arlo and Janis were acting so protective over Gene during the latest classic arc, a really good explanation is offered here. Gene is being an idiot for reasons that don't even have that much to do with Mary Lou specifically.

Alterian posted:

Fourth time. Does this thread really get that many new visitors or are people just missing the previous explanations?

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
BCN

Phoebe

Wallace

Curtis

... yes? Did curtis forget to tell a joke?

Jamal

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Some Guy TT posted:

Fourth time. Does this thread really get that many new visitors or are people just missing the previous explanations?

I'm starting to think people are just pretending not to get it as some kind of joke. It's not even that difficult. There are arrows and everything.

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum
The Perishers (1983)

Beau Peep (1985)

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Alterian posted:

It's real easy:

1 9
2 4
3 1½
6 6 again
8 10*
7 11

*except on first Thursday of every month

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

The Beau Peep gang seems like a good fit for Weapon Brown too.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Nenonen posted:

It's real easy:

1 9
2 4
3 1½
6 6 again
8 10*
7 11

*except on first Thursday of every month

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Even if you follow the panels, Korean comics usually feel like disjointed fever dreams.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Let me use this example: Imagine four panels on the left side of the page. Say a direct copy of the panel closest to the bottom is sent to the back of the line of panels on the right and takes the place of the first panel. The formerly first panel becomes the second, the second becomes the third, and the fourth falls off the page."

Cheer Up Boss Dharma works the same way.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
The Lockhorns

Brewster Rockit Space Guy

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Kevin & Kell

Mother Goose & Grimm

Hagar The Horrible

Sherman's Lagoon

9 Chickweed Lane

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Geech

Today's Garf

Zippy

Ripley's

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
That'll learn her to try to be something God didn't make her I tell you hwat

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

My Lovely Horse posted:

The Beau Peep gang seems like a good fit for Weapon Brown too.

This is very true.

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

Is that Zippy dunking on Funky Winkerbean? :eyepop:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
2012 Spiderman

The Amazing Spiderman

Dick Tracy

Locher Tracy

Origins of the Sunday Comics

Some Guy TT posted:

Probably the latter. Reading is haaaaard.

Tiggum posted:

I'm starting to think people are just pretending not to get it as some kind of joke. It's not even that difficult. There are arrows and everything.
Or this. It's just four sets of vertically arranged panels.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Haifisch posted:

Dick Tracy

Yeah you see this is how you would have done a dramatic partial reveal with still something left up your sleeve if you hadn't given the game away on Sunday.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Zippy started in 1971, so it seems likely this one's 100% autobiographical and Griffith actually did find a chunk of zip-a-tone and get a bit maudlin about it.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Mikl posted:

Help me out here, aircaft goons. That's clearly a trijet: 727, DC-10, MD-11? All of them are just cargo right now, is there another trijet in passenger service? Yeah the Yak-42 I guess, but I doubt an american airline would have those.

I'd say 727. DC-10 and MD-11 got the engines under the wings and not at the back.

So asking what kind of airline this is is a very good question.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Shai-Hulud posted:

I'd say 727. DC-10 and MD-11 got the engines under the wings and not at the back.

So asking what kind of airline this is is a very good question.

according to wikipedia the only possible airline it could be is Iran Aseman Airlines

their last 727 flight was only 2-3 weeks ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery