Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

jokes posted:

Have you never seen an anime or superhero movie where the hero needs to crouch down before making a titanic leap?

It's like that but instead of leaping he's about to drop a massive dump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Heath posted:

People keep saying this but nobody demonstrates what they're referring to. Serious question, what is block chain or a block chain style apparatus good for that isn't done better or cheaper by something already existing?
I think most business applications are distilling down to making data intrinsic to something that changes custody available through the different custody transfers and holdings. Stuff like I can flag my pants making GBS threads lettuce once as a farmer and multiple distributors can freeze sales, or a distributor can log a case of pants making GBS threads and the multiple farmers who might have supplied it can see and start working on further testing or retesting. I don't know I'd call anything in block chain helping that specifically beside providing a vehicle for a business process for analyzing pants making GBS threads lettuce across the whole supply chain.

They are also all built on an initial amount of trust because effort is demonstrably a traincrash.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Was sub 3K the big theshold the thread was waiting for? Or is that the new one because 4k was suppose to be the "floor" before the floor rotted out and broke away again.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

My toenail clippings are rare, portable, and divisible, just like gold! Surely this means everyone will desire them and I am now rich.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Heath posted:

People keep saying this but nobody demonstrates what they're referring to. Serious question, what is block chain or a block chain style apparatus good for that isn't done better or cheaper by something already existing?

People owning blockchain consulting businesses like money and yachts and politicians/CEOs like buzz words. It's a mutually beneficial symbiotic relationship that produced yachts and votes/stock market growth out of thin air

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
There are three men in my home at this moment, re-glazing my bathtub. They saw my computer, and one said, “That looks like it could be mining Bitcoin.” They have been talking Bitcoin ever since. One said, “I was thinking about getting into it,” and I recommended he not.

They actually seem to be pretty up on what’s going on with Bitcoin. One said he had seen Bitcoin on Dateline.

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry

PhazonLink posted:

Was sub 3K the big theshold the thread was waiting for? Or is that the new one because 4k was suppose to be the "floor" before the floor rotted out and broke away again.

It was 6K. That floor lasted for a while, but more importantly, this thread started around the time bitcoin was breaking thru that floor from the other side.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

Facebook Aunt posted:

My toenail clippings are rare, portable, and divisible, just like gold! Surely this means everyone will desire them and I am now rich.

Of all the bullshit bullet points in this comic, the "infinite divisibility" is the bullshittiest. Who the gently caress wishes they could split pennies into smaller denominations (even for non-cash transactions)?

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Harveygod posted:

Of all the bullshit bullet points in this comic, the "infinite divisibility" is the bullshittiest. Who the gently caress wishes they could split pennies into smaller denominations (even for non-cash transactions)?

It's really important when pennies catch on and are worth $20k in a few years

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry

Harveygod posted:

That makes sense for micropayments or resources priced by minute/second. And is happening today – butters seem to not realize that you can split a penny into tenths by moving the decimal point. This is literally happening today. Banks do the same when computing interest.

Of course, once butts moon, they will not be divisible to a finer degree than 1 / 100,000,000, so all the money in the world / 21M butts / 100M = $0.16, so butts are even less divisible than lovely fiat USD.

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong
also its important when the price of your currency can *only* go up

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

poverty goat posted:

It's really important when pennies catch on and are worth $20k in a few years

That's why I keep all my pennies in jars around the house. I'll be rich!

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I thought comics were supposed to be funny.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

klafbang posted:

That makes sense for micropayments or resources priced by minute/second. And is happening today – butters seem to not realize that you can split a penny into tenths by moving the decimal point. This is literally happening today. Banks do the same when computing interest.

I figured there was probably an exception like that and that it would have already been solved.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Facebook Aunt posted:

Mining the Facebook Aunt chain would have too many volunteers to sustain, and using PCR to validate pieces of the toenail chain seems pricey compared to cryptography. I rate your white paper A-.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Pham Nuwen posted:

That's why I keep all my pennies in jars around the house. I'll be rich!

sounds crazy but if you'd done this pre-1982 you could actually melt them down today and sell the copper at a profit

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Someone smart remind me what it's called when the government profits off of people holding onto change. I wanna say selvage, but that's a textile thing.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

poverty goat posted:

sounds crazy but if you'd done this pre-1982 you could actually melt them down today and sell the copper at a profit
They change the formula? I thought this was illegal, at least on an industrial scale (practically speaking the government doesn't care if you melt a few pennies for a science project)

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Nessus posted:

They change the formula? I thought this was illegal, at least on an industrial scale (practically speaking the government doesn't care if you melt a few pennies for a science project)

pre-1982 pennies were 95% copper, post-1982 are 2.5%. it's definitely illegal but thankfully there's not some kind of -chain documenting the history of your copper ingots

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
There are definitely people with hoards of pre 1982 pennies waiting to melt them should that become legal:

https://www.npr.org/sections/money/2014/05/16/312732409/episode-539-whats-a-penny-worth

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Is the metal actually worth enough for the effort it takes to gather the pennies?

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Copper Prices - 45 Year Historical Chart

Interactive chart of historical daily COMEX copper prices back to 1971. The price shown is in U.S. Dollars per pound. The current price of copper as of January 25, 2019 is $2.73 per pound.

up Up UP!

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
I'm thinking more about how hard it is to gather pre-1982 pennies. I assume you can't just go to the bank with thousands of dollars and demand all the cents they have.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

ymgve posted:

Is the metal actually worth enough for the effort it takes to gather the pennies?

Depends on what your time is worth.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

A friend of mine regularly goes to banks to buy sleeves of 50c pieces to sort out the silvers.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Subjunctive posted:

Depends on what your time is worth.

you're just being shortsighted if you're not pricing your time in 2040 pennies

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

ymgve posted:

I'm thinking more about how hard it is to gather pre-1982 pennies. I assume you can't just go to the bank with thousands of dollars and demand all the cents they have.

Buy pennies from the bank, pull <1982s. Take the rest to coinstar to redeem for no fee Amazon gift cards. Profit???

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

TVsVeryOwn posted:

Someone smart remind me what it's called when the government profits off of people holding onto change. I wanna say selvage, but that's a textile thing.

I'm a big ole dummy but the term you're looking for is "seigniorage".

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

Goodpancakes posted:

A friend of mine regularly goes to banks to buy sleeves of 50c pieces to sort out the silvers.

Yeah it's a whole thing.

In the Doomsday Prepper thread it was a really common thing to hoard old coins for the metals. Melting them is illegal but there's nothing stopping people from just trading them for the metal while they're still in coin form.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Bitcoin, the new penny.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

Penny: The old Bitcoin.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

I wonder what mental gymnastics one would have to go through to decide that Bitcoin was intrinsically valued? Like, gold is highly valued because it's both rare and useful as a material to make things out of. It looks pretty, conducts energy really well, and is extremely malleable and resistant to corrosion. It seems the author understands that this is important as he lists being desired/valued but never really delves into why a random hash on a computer hard drive would have any recognized, verifiable value to anybody like an actual real material like gold does.

Edit:. Also non-reproducible for a thing you can literally copy & paste. I mean, yeah, the system won't let you spend your copies but you sure as poo poo can make as many copies of your random hash as you want.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Jan 29, 2019

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

Also:

"But what about MTGOX?"
"That was an exchange, not the blockchain."

"But isn't the blockchain too slow to use in everyday commerce?"
"I suppose, but then people could just use an exchange."

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Warbadger posted:

I wonder what mental gymnastics one would have to go through to decide that Bitcoin was intrinsically valued? Like, gold is highly valued because it's both rare and useful as a material to make things out of. It looks pretty, conducts energy really well, and is extremely malleable and resistant to corrosion. It seems the author understands that this is important as he lists being desired/valued but never really delves into why a random hash on a computer hard drive would have any recognized, verifiable value to anybody like an actual real material like gold does.

Edit:. Also non-reproducible for a thing you can literally copy & paste. I mean, yeah, the system won't let you spend your copies but you sure as poo poo can make as many copies of your random hash as you want.

but you can't make anything useful out of cash either

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

poverty goat posted:

but you can't make anything useful out of cash either

Cash you can burn, wipe your rear end with without getting splinters, or weave into a snazzy purse. Or any other number of things you can do with uniform pieces of paper/plastic/fibres/metal.

Cash is also open about being a fiat currency and does not pretend to hold intrinsic value itself. The comic attempts to suggest that Bitcoin, like gold, has this intrinsic value and that this is an advantage over cash.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Jan 29, 2019

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

Warbadger posted:

Any time I ask a butter about this the answer I get is that the hashing power of the network makes it intrinsically valuable. Which is dumb as hell for dozens of reasons.

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost
the intrinsic value of wasting massive amounts of energy

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

someday when future scientists figure out how turn bitcoins back into energy they'll finally be vindicated

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

poverty goat posted:

someday when future scientists figure out how turn bitcoins back into energy they'll finally be vindicated

You just turn the plugs around on the miners to reverse the flow of current. Duh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

revwinnebago
Oct 4, 2017

Warbadger posted:

I wonder what mental gymnastics one would have to go through to decide that Bitcoin was intrinsically valued?

Pretty much the same as "invisible hand".

One of the more difficult concepts for a beginner in free market economics is that the economic system has no way whatsoever to track what something SHOULD be worth. The only thing the system can possibly evaluate is what people are able to transact for it.

The fact that people only seem willing to trade about 3k for it right now is still driven by either the big whales who are under federal investigation for manipulating the market, or the preppers who sleep on their copy of Atlas Shrugged and are just begging for the day when Butts hit $20k and they can go galt and really show their ex wife.

Aside from lulz and crying into the pillow at night, there doesn't seem to be much else holding the value of Butts up.