Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

My favorite thing is that a friend beat Julius and he's convinced Mickey is going to get norted because "all the super bosses foreshadow something from a future game. We're being warned in advance!"

And I'm trying to imagine a norted mickey

did someone say

door

to

darkness?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

i can't argue with these names

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Did you do this yourself or did you c/p it? Either way :golfclap:

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I can't believe Xehanort norted Axel because he stole a loaf of bread

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Tell them about the tournament!

Prisoner 24X01

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Yo actual question.

KH1 ended with "KINGDOM HEARTS IS LIGHT" but what the gently caress was that about? It was literally a door to the Dark World where hell demons were about to pour out. What the gently caress was that light? Was it ever explained?

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Yo actual question.

KH1 ended with "KINGDOM HEARTS IS LIGHT" but what the gently caress was that about? It was literally a door to the Dark World where hell demons were about to pour out. What the gently caress was that light? Was it ever explained?

That wasn't the True Kingdom Hearts. Kindom Hearts is like Xehanort: There's a million of 'em, but only one is the TRUE KINGDOM HEARTS!

IIRC, it shows up very briefly in BBS.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
It was a small scale KH made from the heart of the worlds that are lost to the darkness in the first game. The real KH has only appeared at the end of BBS so far.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
also it's probably a yin/yang thing, if you make a kingdom hearts replica then just like most hearts it will contain SUPREEEEME DARKNESS but also light

ansem was so hung up on the former that he didn't prepare for the latter, and it vaporized him

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Yo actual question.

Absent, Seeker of Darkness, only gathered the seven princesses of light, and his darkness kingdom hearts was fake. Xemnas only gathered thirteen darknesses, and his moon kingdom hearts was also fake. We won’t see the real kingdom hearts of light until KH3.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Kheldarn posted:

That wasn't the True Kingdom Hearts. Kindom Hearts is like Xehanort: There's a million of 'em, but only one is the TRUE KINGDOM HEARTS!

IIRC, it shows up very briefly in BBS.

Oh I get that it's more just what was that light and why did it bugzap SoD Ansem?

He says it's Kingdom Hearts (which yeah it's wrong) and he wants the power of dark from it, but it opens with "Nuh uh it's actually light you big silly" and he dies. I'd get if it faded or something after that but the door sticks around and it's teeming with shadows so it wasn't actually "light".

Did it just really hate Ansem SoD and zap him?

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Yo actual question.

The answer to this is so insultingly simple and facile that you shouldn't even be asking it. The much more pressing question you should be wondering about is: why was Mickey shirtless at the end of Kingdom Hearts?

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Oh I get that it's more just what was that light and why did it bugzap SoD Ansem?

He says it's Kingdom Hearts (which yeah it's wrong) and he wants the power of dark from it, but it opens with "Nuh uh it's actually light you big silly" and he dies. I'd get if it faded or something after that but the door sticks around and it's teeming with shadows so it wasn't actually "light".

Oh lol yeah it was uhhhhh the light from the seven princesses and also riku, that checks out :sora:

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

Argue posted:

The answer to this is so insultingly simple and facile that you shouldn't even be asking it. The much more pressing question you should be wondering about is: why was Mickey shirtless at the end of Kingdom Hearts?

They explain this in A Fragmentary Passage. His shirt evaporates after getting hit.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

First impressions.

They seem to have chucked in all the poo poo people liked mechanics wise from older games leading to even the first level having crazy combat variety. And maybe some new stuff too? I've not played every game but it's thrown a lot of stuff at me some I recognise, some of which gets so little fanfare I assume it's returning and some new. It's good, really avoids the issue a lot of ARPGs and especially the earlier KH games had of very repetitive early levels.

Sora's growth into normal FF protag pretty boy is very evident. And kinda makes him look like Kairi?

God I hope FF15 gets some love in this.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Yo actual question.

Riding off of this, what happened to the "Door to the Light" Sora was supposed to open? I mean he mentioned it was the thing he and Riku went through at the end of Kingdom Hearts II. But for one thing, he didn't open it, it just kind of opened on its own. That and it didn't have as big of an impact as Kingdom Hearts I made us thing, literally all it did was just get the two home.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I bought the all the games at once pre-order bundle. Am I already preloaded? How can I tell?

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Bust Rodd posted:

I bought the all the games at once pre-order bundle. Am I already preloaded? How can I tell?

If you’re on PS4 the game would show up on your dashboard with a countdown timer. No idea about Xbox.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

How many years pass between the events of Back Cover/chi/Keyblade War and BBS?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I've watched some (attempted) recaps. I feel like none of them really go into too much detail about Aqua, but she seems to be a huge fan favorite. As someone who has only played 1 and 2, why is Aqua such a big deal? Is she just seen as a cool character in general or is she considered extra important to the story?

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Macaluso posted:

I've watched some (attempted) recaps. I feel like none of them really go into too much detail about Aqua, but she seems to be a huge fan favorite. As someone who has only played 1 and 2, why is Aqua such a big deal? Is she just seen as a cool character in general or is she considered extra important to the story?
Unironically I think half of her love is just people seeing her as a good waifu because she lacks greatly in character and even in Birth by Sleep she didn't do much of note or importance. Since Birth by Sleep she's done absolutely nothing but just wander about the Real of Darkness for over a decade and muttering cheesy monologues to herself.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Yo actual question.

That Kingdom Hearts was in the Shadow Realm, apparently just over the horizon. Any door to it would necessarily go to the Realm of Darkness.

Macaluso posted:

She's a female character who not only does NOT get kidnapped*, she is widely considered the most competent protagonist in BBS, since she makes the fewest (but maybe biggest) blunders and spends most of the game resolving world plot lines the other characters left open. She's the only one who knows where Ventus's body is, so that's some story importance. She's also got cool magic moves.

She's not got much personality, but when your other options are Kairi, Namine and Minny Mouse, you take what you can get.

*she will need a rescue, but that's because she did some heroic sacrifices and not because someone wanted to lure Sora somewhere

Pug Rodeo
Feb 20, 2007

BRING IT ON BRING IT ON YEAH

TheLoneStar posted:

Unironically I think half of her love is just people seeing her as a good waifu because she lacks greatly in character and even in Birth by Sleep she didn't do much of note or importance. Since Birth by Sleep she's done absolutely nothing but just wander about the Real of Darkness for over a decade and muttering cheesy monologues to herself.

I personally just think she’s a lot of fun to play. It’s nice to have someone who really benefits from a magic based play style and doesn’t just hit people with a keyblade most the time. They’re something very satisfying about wrecking entire groups with massive magic damage. Plus her cartwheel dodge is OP.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

its like when it's really hot outside, and you open the door to go into an air conditioned building and leave the door open. the cold air comes rushing out and hits you, but then you're stuck in a warm room

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Oxxidation posted:

also it's probably a yin/yang thing, if you make a kingdom hearts replica then just like most hearts it will contain SUPREEEEME DARKNESS but also light

ansem was so hung up on the former that he didn't prepare for the latter, and it vaporized him

That’s a surprisingly straightforward way to explain it. Huh.

Billzasilver posted:

Absent, Seeker of Darkness, only gathered the seven princesses of light, and his darkness kingdom hearts was fake. Xemnas only gathered thirteen darknesses, and his moon kingdom hearts was also fake. We won’t see the real kingdom hearts of light until KH3.

gently caress I didn’t even make that connection in my brain somehow.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Macaluso posted:

She's important to the story in that one of the objectives of KH3 is rescuing each of the three BBS protagonists from their respective dilemmas. Aqua, I think, heroically sacrificed herself and let herself get trapped in the realm of darkness, in order to help Mickey close the door at the end of KH1? Something like that. (Terra's problem is that his body is being used as a vessel for Xehanort, and Ventus' is that he's comatose and doesn't have his heart) And yeah she has a big fan following because she's the one who closes the book on basically every plotline in BBS. She's also the best character to use, gameplay-wise, so you actually feel the competence running through your veins.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Pug Rodeo posted:

I personally just think she’s a lot of fun to play. It’s nice to have someone who really benefits from a magic based play style and doesn’t just hit people with a keyblade most the time. They’re something very satisfying about wrecking entire groups with massive magic damage. Plus her cartwheel dodge is OP.
I won't deny any of that, but that has nothing to do with her character though.

Balache404
Aug 2, 2018

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Enough for the Keyblade War to become a myth/legend. Centuries? Millennia? It's kept purposely vague, mostly because the exact amount of time doesn't really matter at the moment.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

A lot of Aqua's supporters just like that there's a girl in the series that gets to kick rear end and will grasp at literally anything to make her seem more competent or interesting than she actually is.

I don't dislike her but she doesn't really "clean up after the boys" like most people say.
In BBS she usually arrives after Terra fucks something up (or Ventus has just left and did nothing) and just goes "Oh I guess they were here" then leaves after doing Disney Hijinks same as the others. It's kind of what made her playthrough the most frustrating honestly because she just never adds anything. Almost all of her scenes are just her walking around going "gosh where the heck is Terra and Ven?" with absolutely no passion in her voiceacting which is what she continues to do in 0.2.

The only time Aqua does something is in the ~Secret Episode~ and it's where she sadly screws things up BIG time for the entire series and herself.
I was really excited to see why so many people absolutely LOVED Aqua but she wound up feeling way overhyped to me when I finally got to her games playthroughs.

BBS in general stretched itself too thin by trying to go for 3 playable characters. Ventus is somehow even worse and I don't think he does a single thing his entire story. He just kind of exists until he gets knocked into a coma.

Pug Rodeo
Feb 20, 2007

Aqua gets a lot of crap for rescuing Terra-nort from falling into the darkness and sacrificing herself instead, but I don’t think that would of prevented anything. It would only be a matter of type before he escaped the realm, but would have been soaking up darkness like a sponge that entire time.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
To be fair it's not as if Terra and Ventus are the most complicated people either. Terra's main personality traits are "gullible" and "stupid," Ven's are "whiny" and "stupid." Meanwhile Aqua's are "responsible" and "moderately less stupid"

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Judge Aqua's competence not against competent heroes in other works of fiction but against literally any other Kingdom Hearts character who isn't originally from Disney

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
You're right, it doesn't really, but it does have to do with why people like her.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

TriffTshngo posted:

To be fair it's not as if Terra and Ventus are the most complicated people either. Terra's main personality traits are "gullible" and "stupid," Ven's are "whiny" and "stupid." Meanwhile Aqua's are "responsible" and "moderately less stupid"
Yes, but people are willing to jump at any chance to talk about how idiotic Terra and Ventus are but will, as ThisIsACoolGuy pointed out, grasp at straws to build up Aqua as much as they possibly can.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Actually here's 2 things I kinda forgot about. One of them relates to DDD so I expect the answer is "there is no answer, thanks DDD"

1: What *is* Vanitas anyway? I get that he was torn from Ventus's heart and is the dark half but like- why can the dark half spawn a new breed of monsters? Is that just a thing? Does Vanitas have a free will of his own or is he just a mouthpiece for Xehanort? Can he get norted? Is he already norted?
For a game that wants to say darkness =/= evil why is the only dark user on the cast Riku and every other dark based character MEGA EVIL.

2: What the gently caress are dream eaters. Like as a whole. I've been hung up the last few days on this one.
Nightmares and Dream Eaters exist in the sleeping worlds as guardians/hazards. I figured Sora would be able to use them there and sure it's simple enough to get behind. The ending scene I just figured that Tranverse Town was still sleeping and Sora just... took a ship... and went to dream land I guess to hang out with his friends???

But back cover just drops the lil cat thing down and says it's a Dream Eater despite their world not being a sleeping one- and it turns into a nightmare if you're a bad boy/girl like a radar. In some trailers Sora can just pull out a Bow-Meow or whatever it's called and bounce around on one and I don't think Monsters Inc world is sleeping so ????. Can they just like go wherever they want I guess?

TriffTshngo posted:

Not disagreeing really, but Terra gets to move the plot along by being a moron (the entire plot kind of centers around his fall and possession while nothing else really matters in the context of the story) while Ventus boils down to
"Hey have you seen terra? No okay bye" and literally nothing else and "Have you seen Ventus and/or Terra?" while only getting one scene exclusive to herself where she gets to do something important before getting sealed away.

BBS trio kinda sucks is what I'm trying to say and I think it would of been better if Terra was the only playable character until you get to the secret episode and it swaps to Aqua as a last second surprise. Ventus just being a side character you bump into time to time.

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jan 28, 2019

Pug Rodeo
Feb 20, 2007

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

What *is* Vanitas anyway? I get that he was torn from Ventus's heart and is the dark half but like- why can the dark half spawn a new breed of monsters? Is that just a thing? Does Vanitas have a free will of his own or is he just a mouthpiece for Xehanort? Can he get norted? Is he already norted?

Well he has the norted eye color, but so does Ansem the Wise and as far as I know he isn’t. He did however get exposed to the darkness so it might just be a physical side effect of having contact with the darkness. Since Vanitas is pretty dang dark it’s probably the reason for his eye color. He doesn’t seem like he would need to be norted since he already wants to wreck poo poo.

My theory is that’s why Aqua has the eye color in the KH3 trailer and isn’t actually norted.

Pug Rodeo
Feb 20, 2007

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Well, I guess it depends on how fast people age in this universe. Ventus is a big part of the mobile game and is still a kid in BBS.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

2: What the gently caress are dream eaters. Like as a whole. I've been hung up the last few days on this one.

Dream eaters are awesome!

Balache404
Aug 2, 2018

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

What the gently caress are dream eaters. Like as a whole. I've been hung up the last few days on this one.
Nightmares and Dream Eaters exist in the sleeping worlds as guardians/hazards. I figured Sora would be able to use them there and sure it's simple enough to get behind. The ending scene I just figured that Tranverse Town was still sleeping and Sora just... took a ship... and went to dream land I guess to hang out with his friends???

But back cover just drops the lil cat thing down and says it's a Dream Eater despite their world not being a sleeping one- and it turns into a nightmare if you're a bad boy/girl like a radar. In some trailers Sora can just pull out a Bow-Meow or whatever it's called and bounce around on one and I don't think Monsters Inc world is sleeping so ????. Can they just like go wherever they want I guess?

Dream Eaters are natural denizens of the realm of sleep, just like Heartless are natural denizens of the realm of darkness. Chirithy is a Dream Eater specifically created by the MoM to act as a guide/helper for Keyblade Wielders in Daybreak Town. Each Chirithy is tied to their owner, so the more darkness in their heart the darker their Chirithy. Meow-Wow is a summon in KH3, which have different justifications in KH and KH2 (gemstones vs charms). We don't know how they're gained in KH3, so we'll just have to wait and see if they get a worthwhile reason (probably not but summons have always been a "hey this is also a thing you can do" thing).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Pug Rodeo posted:

My theory is that’s why Aqua has the eye color in the KH3 trailer and isn’t actually norted.
In regards to this, Nomura (I think it was him) already revealed what was going on with Aqua like a few months ago.

Something about becoming a Darkling or cell phone monster or something :shrug: .

Balache404 posted:

Dream Eaters are natural denizens of the realm of sleep, just like Heartless are natural denizens of the realm of darkness. Chirithy is a Dream Eater specifically created by the MoM to act as a guide/helper for Keyblade Wielders in Daybreak Town. Each Chirithy is tied to their owner, so the more darkness in their heart the darker their Chirithy. Meow-Wow is a summon in KH3, which have different justifications in KH and KH2 (gemstones vs charms). We don't know how they're gained in KH3, so we'll just have to wait and see if they get a worthwhile reason (probably not but summons have always been a "hey this is also a thing you can do" thing).

In some trailers (like the E3 one) you can see Bulborb looking dream eaters farting about Monsters Inc world in a cutscene so they're more important than just a sudden summon. Just trying to figure out how that works really.
As for Chirithy I kinda understood that- I'm just not sure why they had to be dream eaters really as they have nothing to do with dreams (as far as I know)