Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Blamestorm posted:

So I stupidly bought Arboretum Deluxe by accident (I was in a rush at a convention and thought I had been ripped off price wise until I realised I’d picked up the deluxe rather than standard version by mistake) and wow, I am super annoyed as I’m fairly confident the deluxe is worse than the standard. It has these reflective foil cards that are difficult to see on the table and I dimly recall almost all foil cards curl eventually. They look really out of place with the theme, they are super gaudy. Anyway if anyone is considering the deluxe my advice is just get the standard. I felt annoyed when I thought I’d been overcharged for a simple card game but even more so now that it seems to be functionally worse than the much cheaper version.

I baked some magic cards in an attic for a summer. The foil cards were all visibly curled, while the others were fine. Sucks because I went to sell them on CSI's buy list and they got rejected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Speaking of D&D, having just finished the EXIT game Dead Man on the Orient Express, I think more D&D should incorporate these kinds of puzzles/mysteries.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Some Numbers posted:

Does it compare favorably to Glory to Rome?

I got rid of GTR, Mottainai and innovation after I got a dozen plays of I/E.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013
Speaking of getting rid of games, I'm about to thin out my collection. Do ya'll mostly just get rid of your no longer wanted games on craigslist or sell them online somewhere?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I do BGG trades or local FB groups for selling.

Gejimayu
Mar 4, 2005
spaz

tofes posted:

Speaking of getting rid of games, I'm about to thin out my collection. Do ya'll mostly just get rid of your no longer wanted games on craigslist or sell them online somewhere?

Local FB group has been good to me.

uncle blog
Nov 18, 2012

Anybody tried "After the Virus"? Single/co-op deckbuilder with a zombie setting and horrible art. Got it for my birthday, wondering if it's a keeper or not.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

tofes posted:

I use Facebook groups and there is a specific BGG user called BoardgameCo who has his own website. He uses a point system for every game. You can either trade some of your games for his or you can just trade your games to him for points that you can use later. I like to use it to trade in a bunch of my games for maybe one or two bigger games.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
I sell mine at cons. Much better prices (more demand) than on FB and since it's local I don't have to price for shipping.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador

Ragnar34 posted:

So how's Teotihuacan? Is it worth getting if you plan to play solo only?

I really liked it. No idea how single player is but there's like 10 pages in the rulebook dedicated to the bot's rules so looks like they've thought it out well.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
I got to play Terraforming Mars for the first time the other day with some friends who have played it a bunch (their current favorite game). 4 players (2 new). Not counting most of the rules explanation it took us 3 hours to finish, with drafting, using some expansion starter cards that offered a couple extra resources at the start.

It was... ok. I took the big money starter corporation and tried to play as basic a strategy as I could, just pushing up my TR track as much as possible, playing very similar types of cards. I mostly avoided cards that increased my production (if that was the only thing they did) in favor of cards that really did a thing now. I took one of the Milestones (really should have been two, but I did the wrong order), came in second in two of the research things, had 3 cities on the board (about par) and several greeneries. By the end of the game I was up 10-15 on the TR track over second, and I won by 5-10 points overall.

The game sort of reminded me of Race for the Galaxy, although the mechanics are obviously completely different. The difference is that in Race they get by without like 8 different currencies/resources, your tableau is tighter and more meaningful, and it doesn't take 3 hours.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Elysium posted:

The game sort of reminded me of Race for the Galaxy, although the mechanics are obviously completely different. The difference is that in Race they get by without like 8 different currencies/resources, your tableau is tighter and more meaningful, and it doesn't take 3 hours.

Yeah this is the exact comparison I made after my first play. TM felt like playing one of those bloated deckbuilders after Dominion.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
Got to learn two games this weekend.

Mare Nostrum: Empires is a delight. Very simple, quick playing civ game with lots of crunchy decisions each turn. Really impressed with it and even though I started a pointless and expensive war with my neighbour and totally ignored my other one that was swooping in for the win, I'd love to play it with more people. The trading was interesting too and by the end everyone had a feel for it.

Spirit Island is as good as people say but broke my brain with decision paralysis as we played with 4p from the get-go and it felt like Gloomhaven meets Pandemic with a dozen other things to consider. The rule book was brutal though and we ended up watching a video online instead that answered all our questions and showed us what we needed to do. I don't understand how a rulebook so long could be so useless.

I also couldn't believe it but I had to tell my girlfriend no to playing Sekigahara because there wasn't enough time that same day of gaming. Broke my drat heart.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I math trade away unwanted games and/or auction them at a local con.

What are you selling and in what area? People also sell things through SAmart

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Try to sell local first, shipping ruins everything.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

djfooboo posted:

Yeah you can either price as you would for local and offer free shipping or price them with the shipping cost factored in and make them pay shipping. Either way it's not an ideal way to sell games.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Eschatos posted:

I really liked it. No idea how single player is but there's like 10 pages in the rulebook dedicated to the bot's rules so looks like they've thought it out well.

Good, good. I've read up on how the bot works and it seems reasonable, if fiddly. I expect it'll work fine.

Any criticisms? No one seems to have any, so either the game is phenomenal or it's too new.

FulsomFrank posted:

Spirit Island is as good as people say but broke my brain with decision paralysis as we played with 4p from the get-go and it felt like Gloomhaven meets Pandemic with a dozen other things to consider. The rule book was brutal though and we ended up watching a video online instead that answered all our questions and showed us what we needed to do. I don't understand how a rulebook so long could be so useless.

Yeah, the rulebook sucks. It sure looks fancy though!

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!
I am going to be playing Kemet this week against some pretty experienced players. Is there anything I should know in order to avoid being absolutely stomped? Is starting out 2-1-0 and rushing for some level 4 powers in turn 1 going to set me up well or ruin me? Is red as powerful as it seems or are the colours pretty balanced?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Red is a good safe pick if it’s not too crowded. I’d go 2/1/0 red/white/blue and try to be opportunistic in your move/attack actions. Should set you up well.

For white tiles tosynergize with heavy red focus on prayer point generation to fuel your war machine.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Redundant posted:

I am going to be playing Kemet this week against some pretty experienced players. Is there anything I should know in order to avoid being absolutely stomped? Is starting out 2-1-0 and rushing for some level 4 powers in turn 1 going to set me up well or ruin me? Is red as powerful as it seems or are the colours pretty balanced?

You can read up some cheesy strats on BGG if you want to be a sneaky boy but otherwise just keep in mind what you're playing to strength-wise when you're buying certain tiles. Extra actions are sick so if you can get that tile good for you. Otherwise, just don't leave people behind after a fight that they can be mulched by someone else for easy VP. Just have fun! Kemet is a great experience in teaching people not to cry when they get wrecked on a board because it happens so quickly and often you just become numb to it all. Everything seems nice by comparison after.

EDIT: Looks like Pret-a-Porter is getting a kickstarter reprint soon. I know a lot of people love this game but what does the thread think of it?

FulsomFrank fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jan 28, 2019

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Redundant posted:

Attack more and recall your troops more. No - more than that!

Remember that you can leave dudes as you move troops around (which won me a game last night).

Don't let anyone stack legion with any of the more powerful combat bonuses.

Getting a shitload of upgrades but not actually doing anything won't win you the game. Turtling in one temple won't win you the game. My group I played with last night isn't the most experienced (We all have under 10 plays) but I won with only about 7 upgrades in front of me - the one that lets you run over walls, the one that lets you teleport from obelisks, and the two improved combat cards, +1 movement, the one that makes recruitment more efficient, and the one that discounts upgrades by 1p - no monsters. Most of my points were from smashing smaller groups which people left exposed in their cities and then recalling my guys.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Redundant posted:

2-1-0 is always going to be better than 1-1-1, but you need to react to what the other players choose, and 2 red is a popular choice. I prefer 2 white, raise white pyramid level on first turn, grab Hand of God. That free pyramid level every night gives you a ton of flexibility. It also gives you first choice of those Level 4 white priest tiles that generate all the PP you'll ever need.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

CaptainRightful posted:

2-1-0 is always going to be better than 1-1-1, but you need to react to what the other players choose, and 2 red is a popular choice. I prefer 2 white, raise white pyramid level on first turn, grab Hand of God. That free pyramid level every night gives you a ton of flexibility. It also gives you first choice of those Level 4 white priest tiles that generate all the PP you'll ever need.

Unless someone opens with the not uncommon strategy of 2W/1x, levels white to 4, prays twice, buys a Priest and moves.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Jedit posted:

Unless someone opens with the not uncommon strategy of 2W/1x, levels white to 4, prays twice, buys a Priest and moves.

True, but as I said, you need to react to how the other players begin. In this case, you'd still get the other priest on Turn 2 and still have Hand of God giving you greater flexibility with your blue and red choices.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

djfooboo posted:

I just noticed a board game store near my house sells used games on consignment (store credit of 80% of the asking price, which you set). Probably not technically getting the most out of the deal you could, but the idea of just dropping off a few games I never play and let them sell it for me does sound appealing.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

That's a great system and I'd be happy with that % if they're a good store.

I found Paper Tales the other day on clearance at B&N and after Mark on SVWAG mentioning it a handful of times I decided to give it a try, as I also have no drafting games beyond Sushi Go and 7WD. This is somewhere between the two as far as depth and plays in about the same time as 7WD, but goes up to 5 players (7 with expansion). It's super light on rules and the iconography is easy and clear. You draft units that go into your kingdom and each round you can build/upgrade buildings to add more bonuses and let you focus on a strategy (combat, econ, etc) and have a war with your adjacent opponents that's as simple as comparing your battle strength of 2-3 front units.

It does a couple of clever things though. First, the round structure is marked by #s for each phase and every card has an accompanying number + icon if it does something in that phase, so if you have a unit that gives an extra coin in the income phase its very clear and easy to remember to trigger. It might not sound like much, but in practice this is one of the best card games that does a great job of not letting you forget to do all of your stuff. The small tableau size adds to that too.

Secondly, a great draw is mitigated by the aging system, where every unit gets an aging token at the end of the round and will die at the end of the next round, so unless you use a power to mess with it every card only exists for two rounds. I was worried that it wouldn't have much impact in such a short game but it actually works great and makes the game dynamic as hell and makes sure that someone having a great first round won't just dominate all game.

The economy is also super tight, with many turns being a choice of playing one really strong unit and nothing else, or a handful of cheap ones while you hopefully build up to a bigger turn next round. The wars are also a great implementation of combat, the victor just gets 3 points for each adjacent opponent they beat and the loser gets nothing. Hate drafting is also baked in easily, you get to keep an extra unused card each round so you can hold on to a powerful card for yourself or one your opponent needs on top of normal drafting tactics.

Overall a really solid light game that I'm impressed by. Only played 2p and 3p so far but I'd definitely go up to 5 and think it'd stay under 45 minutes. I will say I'm glad I found it on sale because the MSRP is insane. The entire game fits in a single deck box minus the score tracker and some superfluous tokens and the card quality is only OK, not great. The art is deliciously charming though.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

FulsomFrank posted:

Got to learn two games this weekend.

Mare Nostrum: Empires is a delight. Very simple, quick playing civ game with lots of crunchy decisions each turn. Really impressed with it and even though I started a pointless and expensive war with my neighbour and totally ignored my other one that was swooping in for the win, I'd love to play it with more people. The trading was interesting too and by the end everyone had a feel for it.

I also couldn't believe it but I had to tell my girlfriend no to playing Sekigahara because there wasn't enough time that same day of gaming. Broke my drat heart.

A lot rides on the trading phase and I've seen games end on the second turn because people weren't tracking who got enough resources to build the pyramids or they attacked someone which dropped them down the track inadvertently giving someone all three leaderships. But even when the game ends anticlimactically everyone's response is "let's go again."

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Bottom Liner posted:

That's a great system and I'd be happy with that % if they're a good store.

I found Paper Tales the other day on clearance at B&N and after Mark on SVWAG mentioning it a handful of times I decided to give it a try, as I also have no drafting games beyond Sushi Go and 7WD. This is somewhere between the two as far as depth and plays in about the same time as 7WD, but goes up to 5 players (7 with expansion). It's super light on rules and the iconography is easy and clear. You draft units that go into your kingdom and each round you can build/upgrade buildings to add more bonuses and let you focus on a strategy (combat, econ, etc) and have a war with your adjacent opponents that's as simple as comparing your battle strength of 2-3 front units.

It does a couple of clever things though. First, the round structure is marked by #s for each phase and every card has an accompanying number + icon if it does something in that phase, so if you have a unit that gives an extra coin in the income phase its very clear and easy to remember to trigger. It might not sound like much, but in practice this is one of the best card games that does a great job of not letting you forget to do all of your stuff. The small tableau size adds to that too.

Secondly, a great draw is mitigated by the aging system, where every unit gets an aging token at the end of the round and will die at the end of the next round, so unless you use a power to mess with it every card only exists for two rounds. I was worried that it wouldn't have much impact in such a short game but it actually works great and makes the game dynamic as hell and makes sure that someone having a great first round won't just dominate all game.

The economy is also super tight, with many turns being a choice of playing one really strong unit and nothing else, or a handful of cheap ones while you hopefully build up to a bigger turn next round. The wars are also a great implementation of combat, the victor just gets 3 points for each adjacent opponent they beat and the loser gets nothing. Hate drafting is also baked in easily, you get to keep an extra unused card each round so you can hold on to a powerful card for yourself or one your opponent needs on top of normal drafting tactics.

Overall a really solid light game that I'm impressed by. Only played 2p and 3p so far but I'd definitely go up to 5 and think it'd stay under 45 minutes. I will say I'm glad I found it on sale because the MSRP is insane. The entire game fits in a single deck box minus the score tracker and some superfluous tokens and the card quality is only OK, not great. The art is deliciously charming though.

"Mentioned" == "Mark says that it's the best drafting game ever made why would anyone play any other pure drafting game"

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

silvergoose posted:

"Mentioned" == "Mark says that it's the best drafting game ever made why would anyone play any other pure drafting game"

He said it's approaching Fairy Tale, his One True drafting game and may be better :colbert:

I've actually not played Fairy Tale, but this fills the drafting role nicely in my collection and I could probably dump Sushi Go now.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

Ragnar34 posted:

Good, good. I've read up on how the bot works and it seems reasonable, if fiddly. I expect it'll work fine.

Any criticisms? No one seems to have any, so either the game is phenomenal or it's too new.

Yeah, the rulebook sucks. It sure looks fancy though!

The starting board seems to give too much of an advantage to temple building, and actions that lock a die are pretty much not worth the unlock cost. Otherwise no complaints.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Eschatos posted:

The starting board seems to give too much of an advantage to temple building, and actions that lock a die are pretty much not worth the unlock cost. Otherwise no complaints.

I would say if it gets you a mask, and you can collect a couple sets early, it's absolutely worth the lock. Those things add up fast.

Really the one area that feels super half-baked is the crypts or whatever that let you ascend the alley of the dead? The reward drops off so fast that it just feels like a dumping ground for unspent resources.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Bottom Liner posted:

He said it's approaching Fairy Tale, his One True drafting game and may be better :colbert:

I've actually not played Fairy Tale, but this fills the drafting role nicely in my collection and I could probably dump Sushi Go now.

Oh yeah! I forgot which one was the first game-with-the-word-tale-in-it and which was the rising upstart.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

So apparently there is a lot of push back on the 'take that' nature of Architects of the West Kingdom. What if instead players just rolled a die and took the biggest group from the randomly determined space? I personally feel like there would be no difference but then it wouldn't be criticized as 'take that'. What do you folks think?

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!
Thanks for the Kemet tips everyone. I thought turn order might be pretty important in the first round so it's good to know white can be a solid back up if I move late and want to avoid the probable red rush. I will report back after the game.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
Splotter put up direct pre-orders for the Food Chain Magnate Ketchup Expansion on their site. Expected late this year, "hopefully before Essen" in mid-October.

Holy gently caress I haven't slammed the "shut up and take my money" button so fast for a gaming product in my life.

Oh and also they're printing a 20th anniversary edition of Roads & Boats and the &Cetera expansion, both also up for pre-order.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Merauder posted:

Splotter put up direct pre-orders for the Food Chain Magnate Ketchup Expansion on their site. Expected late this year, "hopefully before Essen" in mid-October.

Holy gently caress I haven't slammed the "shut up and take my money" button so fast for a gaming product in my life.

Oh and also they're printing a 20th anniversary edition of Roads & Boats and the &Cetera expansion, both also up for pre-order.

I'm mashing :f5: like a mf ,myself, thanks for the tip!

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

al-azad posted:

I would say if it gets you a mask, and you can collect a couple sets early, it's absolutely worth the lock. Those things add up fast.

Really the one area that feels super half-baked is the crypts or whatever that let you ascend the alley of the dead? The reward drops off so fast that it just feels like a dumping ground for unspent resources.

Masks were a big fat dud the one game I played, since two other players were competing for them and didn't get any sets until very late. Crypts seemed like a decent supplemental source of points if you happened to have a lot of wood. Def not something to focus on though.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Mayveena posted:

So apparently there is a lot of push back on the 'take that' nature of Architects of the West Kingdom. What if instead players just rolled a die and took the biggest group from the randomly determined space? I personally feel like there would be no difference but then it wouldn't be criticized as 'take that'. What do you folks think?

You're randomly choosing among the areas with the most people? Often this will be the same thing as just taking what you would have anyway. But I really wouldn't want to lose the strategy of deciding whether I should be removing your group of 3 from the forest, your 3 from the silversmith, or somebody else's 4 from the King's storehouse, based on which actions are likely to be take and if it's useful for you to have captured workers to free. It didn't feel especially "take that" in the one 3p play I had - though in 3p if people retaliate it could be bad. (simple example: we all spend turns 1-3 taking 6 resource actions. On turn 4 I decide to round you up, if you retaliate then player C gains 4 more actions, but if you go for C then C can round me up and all is well).

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Merauder posted:

Should be noted that R&B 5th edition contains & Cetera as standard. €100 is a pretty good price for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

The FCM expansion costs just as much as the base game. Splotter keeps on splottin'.