Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Note that judges can and often do overrule/direct verdicts from juries in civil cases, though.

...despite the specific constitutional prohibition on doing this, which everyone has agreed to politely ignore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer
Russian commercial procedure rules (note that court procedure rules are a federal statute and also its own subarea of law in these places) allow for juries in commercial cases

I have never ever seen a commercial case jury tried. I have seen a motion to do a jury trial once. It failed

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Nice piece of fish posted:

... wait you have juries in civil cases? There's just no end with you people.

Yes! And they vary from state to state. For example, in Louisiana, a case must be worth $50,000 or more to be triable by a jury. In Texas I think it's any case.

Here are some of the ways a trial judge can take the case from a jury:

1. Motions to dismiss - before an answer is filed (in favor of defense only)
2. Summary judgment - any time before and during trial (either side)
3. Directed verdict/judgment as a matter of law - after the close of the plaintiff's case (defense only)
4. Directed verdict/judgment as a matter of law - after the close of both sides' cases but before a verdict (either side)
5. JNOV (judgment notwithstanding the verdict) - after the jury reaches a verdict (either side)
6. Motion for new trial - after jury reaches a verdict

There are various legal standards for all of these but 3-6 nominally require a judge to find that the verdict was "clearly contrary to the law and evidence" or that a party has failed to present sufficient evidence to allow any reasonable jury to decide in their favor. You'd think this would be a pretty hard standard but lol no.

Wait, there's more! The courts of appeal can also substitute themselves for the jury. They pay lip service to the fact that they are not supposed to, but as long as they "establish" the necessary legal standard they can perform their own de novo review of the record (reading transcripts, without the benefit of watching witnesses to gauge their credibility and with the benefit of knowing all of the arguments that occurred outside the jury's hearing and taking into account the lawyers in the case and how much those lawyers supported the judges' election campaigns) do things like:

- reverse a jury verdict dismissing a plaintiff's case
- reallocate fault among various defendants (and the plaintiff). So if a jury decided the plaintiff was 50% at fault for his own stupidity, the court can say actually no, defendant is 100% at fault. Or if a jury (who is not informed which of the defendants has deep pockets or lots of insurance) allocated, say, 90% fault against an uninsured individual, and 10% fault to the billion dollar company, the appellate court can flip it around.
- decide that a jury didn't give a plaintiff enough money and then, and award whatever amount they want, as long as it conforms to whatever standards the appellate court has established for itself. These tend to be very broad ranges, like a range of $20,000 to $400,000 for a bulging disc that does not require surgery.

Phil Moscowitz fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jan 28, 2019

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Oh yeah, and we write our own jury charge too, for civil suits. Imagine having to try to word a jury charge for a complex, commercial transaction breach of contract claim.

Oh wait, we just put, "do you find, by a preponderance of the evidence, that the defendant breached the contract?" and then try to get the jury so mad at the defendant they throw their hands up and say, "Aw hell, I don know, but I'm pretty sure if I says 'yes' he'll get in trouble."

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

evilweasel posted:

...despite the specific constitutional prohibition on doing this, which everyone has agreed to politely ignore

Also a product of Gilded Age (I) tampering. In a 5-4 decision, Slocum v. NY Insurance Co. (1913) technically upheld the right, but the winds had clearly shifted. The needs of business (and to be fair, by 1935, a Federal government that was now in the national social safely net business) couldn't abide civil jury nullification.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
You can get a jury trial between two pro se parties in a justice of the peace court (small claims court) in Texas.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

EwokEntourage posted:

You can get a jury trial between two pro se parties in a justice of the peace court (small claims court) in Texas.

And let me tell you what a poo poo show THAT is, lol

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Oh gently caress I didn't even think about it:

You can get a jury trial over a speeding ticket in Texas. A lot of people come in saying, "Nah, I want a jury trial." thinking that will make ol' Blarzgh just dismiss the case.

Little do they know, my opening statements during 'voire dire' are gonna go a little something like, "We really appreciate you all being here; as you are starting to understand, the Defendant has the right to make you all miss work to come down here this morning to hear about his speeding ticket..."

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

blarzgh posted:

And let me tell you what a poo poo show THAT is, lol

Stories?

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

We let juries decide on the validity of patents.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Kalman posted:

We let juries decide on the validity of patents.

tbf twelve random idiots can't be worse than the federal circuit

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

evilweasel posted:

:emptyquote:

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

blarzgh posted:

You can get a jury trial over a speeding ticket in Texas. A lot of people come in saying, "Nah, I want a jury trial." thinking that will make ol' Blarzgh just dismiss the case.

Little do they know, my opening statements during 'voire dire' are gonna go a little something like, "We really appreciate you all being here; as you are starting to understand, the Defendant has the right to make you all miss work to come down here this morning to hear about his speeding ticket..."

Same in Iowa. In my jurisdiction the judges handle a lot of the voir dire and usually ask a question like, "will you be able to administer your oaths faithfully and objectively even if the charges are what some might consider minor?" It's great.

evilweasel posted:

:kav:

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

evilweasel posted:

lol

SlyFrog posted:

One cannot experience the dark joy of Cassandra if one does not publicly pronounce the prophecies.

also lol

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

evilweasel posted:

I'd have said that once.

Then I watched mock jury deliberations on a few patent cases.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

No, not really. JP is a free-for-all already, where the Judge isn't even an actual lawyer, there are no "rules" of evidence or order of pleadings or antyhing and when his responsibilities then extend to managing the law for the jury, without even knowing what the law is you get.... something magical.

Add in that lots of JPs hate lawyers, so they'll spend the whole trial trying to make you the bad guy if the other party is pro se.

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

Another devil gets its horns.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Congrats and welcome to the ranks!

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.

ActusRhesus posted:

Got another paid Sondheim gig. Go to law school! Subsidize your late entry acting career.

I got a new job with the state attorney general this week, in part, by impressing the interviewer with the fact that I was producing an improv comedy just down the street from her house. (Results not typical.)

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

blarzgh posted:

I've never done speeding tickets but have found that at least for class A/B misdemeanors jurors seem more predisposed to blame the State than the defense for "wasting their time" with a jury trial. For whatever reason jurors seem a hell of a lot more likely to hold the State to their burden if the charge is something stupid than a serious felony where the stakes are higher.

In short, misdemeanor jury trials rule.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)
Happy Q4 distribution week!

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
https://mobile.twitter.com/ZoeTillman/status/1090025939810037762

Lol I love it when lawyers get lit up in Pacer commentary.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Look Sir Droids posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/ZoeTillman/status/1090025939810037762

Lol I love it when lawyers get lit up in Pacer commentary.

I mean there isn’t a lawyer who practices in Federal court that hasn’t been deficiency-slapped by a clerk, but those are some detailed minute entries by the magistrate. I’ve never appeared there but I have appeared pro hac vice in several Federal courts and never been bounced for any reason.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
What if...

immigration courts had a jury right

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

Discendo Vox posted:

What if...

These don't look like a jury of MY peers :colbert:

The Dagda
Nov 22, 2005

Discendo Vox posted:

What if...

There’s no right to an appointed lawyer so it’d just be like traffic court in Texas

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
sounds excellent. I wonder if they could do live broadcast.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE
cjs*: I am soft inside counsel now. I just got an email from outside counsel. It is roughly 10:30pm. The matter the email is about is completely pointless. Nonetheless, because I got the email, I am dropping what I was doing** and responding within 15 minutes of getting the email, late at night, because I am broken.

Summary: don't go to law school.

*current job status, if you don't also read YOSPOS.

**in fairness, I'm watching a chess twitch stream and playing Stellaris.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

ulmont posted:

I am soft inside counsel now.

Phrasing

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

Hmm which internet meme should go here again?

ulmont posted:

cjs*: I am soft inside counsel now. I just got an email from outside counsel. It is roughly 10:30pm. The matter the email is about is completely pointless. Nonetheless, because I got the email, I am dropping what I was doing** and responding within 15 minutes of getting the email, late at night, because I am broken.

First off. You’re in house. Stop checking your email after work hours. Second, answering now just gives oc a chance to bill you more money about pointless issues. Don’t set a bad precedent.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Meatbag Esq. posted:

First off. You’re in house. Stop checking your email after work hours. Second, answering now just gives oc a chance to bill you more money about pointless issues. Don’t set a bad precedent.

1. HOW CAN I KNOW I DON'T HAVE WORK EMAILS TO ANSWER IMMEDIATELY IF I DON'T HAVE ALL MY WORK EMAILS SENT TO MY PHONE AND HOME COMPUTER?

2. Yeah, like oc can't bill me about pointless bullshit pretty much at will as long as they don't get too greedy. :lol:

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

ulmont posted:

I've been in-house for two months and I already got to tell one outside counsel not to email at midnight unless necessary, because it won'be useful most of the time.

...I do still have to answer work emails at all times because I work with 10 different timezones :v:

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

Hmm which internet meme should go here again?

ulmont posted:

1. HOW CAN I KNOW I DON'T HAVE WORK EMAILS TO ANSWER IMMEDIATELY IF I DON'T HAVE ALL MY WORK EMAILS SENT TO MY PHONE AND HOME COMPUTER?

If your job isn't paying for your phone or internet, the work you're doing isn't important enough to send to your personal devices.

quote:

2. Yeah, like oc can't bill me about pointless bullshit pretty much at will as long as they don't get too greedy. :lol:

Just because OC is working at 10 doesn't mean it's urgent... it probably just means OC is working late to finish stuff up. Setting precedent that their 10pm emails are going to be treated as urgent a) encourages them to send emails after 10 and b) encourages them to do other work first when the deadline is "today" cause you're still going to be up later than lazier in house counsel.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Meatbag Esq. posted:

If your job isn't paying for your phone or internet, the work you're doing isn't important enough to send to your personal devices.

My job keeps trying to give me a phone, and I keep coming up with reasons for them not to give me one. Is it between 9-5 or 8-4 (depending on the day) on a work day? Then I'll check email. Otherwise gently caress that.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
I had another partner get mad at me because I didn't respond to his client's email within 30 minutes.

As an unrelated aside, I just got DEXA scanned this morning and my body fat is now at 4.4%. I asked the nurse at the sports medicine clinic what is the lowest body fat they've seen and she said she believes that it is me. I decided I'm not going to try to get any leaner. This is enough.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Yuns posted:

As an unrelated aside, I just got DEXA scanned this morning and my body fat is now at 4.4%. I asked the nurse at the sports medicine clinic what is the lowest body fat they've seen and she said she believes that it is me. I decided I'm not going to try to get any leaner. This is enough.
lol

we should start a parlour game called "Yuns Quote or Bateman Quote?"

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Yuns is the best. He could also beat up pretty much any other goon.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

Yuns posted:

I had another partner get mad at me because I didn't respond to his client's email within 30 minutes.

We get it. You’re ripped.

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:

Mr. Nice! posted:

Yuns is the best. He could also beat up pretty much any other goon.

My partner could beat up your partner

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Yuns you should start a gym at work and require that junior associates train.