Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Oh I get that it's more just what was that light and why did it bugzap SoD Ansem?

He says it's Kingdom Hearts (which yeah it's wrong) and he wants the power of dark from it, but it opens with "Nuh uh it's actually light you big silly" and he dies. I'd get if it faded or something after that but the door sticks around and it's teeming with shadows so it wasn't actually "light".

Did it just really hate Ansem SoD and zap him?

multiple times in kh1 they mention that even in the deepest darkness there is always a light

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ghouldaddy07
Jun 23, 2008

Skeletome posted:

Prisoner 24X01

I'll be singing Les Mis all day. You swine.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Lessail posted:

multiple times in kh1 they mention that even in the deepest darkness there is always a light

"The heart may be weak, and sometimes it may even give in. But I've learned, that deep down there's a light that never goes out!"

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

People bagging on Terra/Ven/Aqua for being stupid forget that it's not 100% their fault. That blame lies squarely on the shoulders of Noted Dumbass Master Eraqus.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Balache404 posted:

Meow-Wow is a summon in KH3, which have different justifications in KH and KH2 (gemstones vs charms). We don't know how they're gained in KH3, so we'll just have to wait and see if they get a worthwhile reason (probably not but summons have always been a "hey this is also a thing you can do" thing).

Can you get Tyranto Rex or Skelterwild or is it just Meowwow?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

How many years pass between the events of Back Cover/chi/Keyblade War and BBS?

Stop trying to make sense of it. This specific point makes zero sense in any context.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
After thinking about it, if KH BBS wasn't dark enough for you KH X had the character you designed die in a pointless battle and left on the ground to decay to bones/keyblade and no one will ever remember their name.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jan 28, 2019

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

As for Chirithy I kinda understood that- I'm just not sure why they had to be dream eaters really as they have nothing to do with dreams (as far as I know)

Dream Eaters eat dreams. Which is how the Dandelions deal with the trauma of the Keyblade war - They have Chirithy eat their nightmares about it.

Dream Eaters come into existence when Heartless would, but can't. So most likely, the Master of Masters stumbled backwards into creating Chirithy while experimenting with Darkness in a cosmic vacuum tube or something.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Kheldarn posted:

People bagging on Terra/Ven/Aqua for being stupid forget that it's not 100% their fault. That blame lies squarely on the shoulders of Noted Dumbass Master Eraqus.
The only real wrong thing he did was attacking Ventus and Terra. Everything else was each individual's own fault.

Balache404
Aug 2, 2018

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

In some trailers (like the E3 one) you can see Bulborb looking dream eaters farting about Monsters Inc world in a cutscene so they're more important than just a sudden summon. Just trying to figure out how that works really.

Pretty sure those are Unversed (BBS enemies), since that trailer caps off with a confrontation w/ Vanitas.

Tenzarin posted:

Can you get Tyranto Rex or Skelterwild or is it just Meowwow?

No, Meow-Wow seems to be the main element of the summon, but a trailer showed a wave of Spirits as the final attack so there might be some in there.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
He trained Terra who ended up being as dumb as a sack of bricks, and stayed friends with Xehanort despite him trying this poo poo before. Eraqus is the dumbest person in the universe.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Kingdom Hearts is light was probably a last Hail Mary by Sora that he just kinda hoped it would work

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I'm convinced that Sora is some sort of personification of the real Kingdom Hearts so he just kinda willed it to be light.

We'll see though.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Kheldarn posted:

I guess I mean less that they're stupid and more dense as hell. As I'm going through DDD it's actually really refreshing to see Riku pick up on and mostly understand everything that's happening to him relatively quickly, whereas Sora, Terra, and Ventus are all complete blockheads who practically take their entire game's worth of time to figure out incredibly basic stuff. Now granted, picking apart every work of fiction that involves a protagonist or otherwise protag-aligned character being fooled by a villain is an exercise in futility, but Terra in particular is exceptionally gullible and easy to manipulate.

Which is why Xehanort picked him to manipulate and fool, I suppose.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Pug Rodeo posted:

Well he has the norted eye color, but so does Ansem the Wise and as far as I know he isn’t. He did however get exposed to the darkness so it might just be a physical side effect of having contact with the darkness. Since Vanitas is pretty dang dark it’s probably the reason for his eye color. He doesn’t seem like he would need to be norted since he already wants to wreck poo poo.

My theory is that’s why Aqua has the eye color in the KH3 trailer and isn’t actually norted.

It's worth pointing out in the trailers that chess playing baba-Nort doesn't have golden eyes either. So you might be on to something.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I haven't played a KH game since the first one and I have no idea what's going on with the story. I watched like 10 minutes of that 30 minute synopsis video and gave up.

I still pre-ordered this game though and I'm hoping I can at least sort of understand the plot.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Popete posted:

I haven't played a KH game since the first one and I have no idea what's going on with the story. I watched like 10 minutes of that 30 minute synopsis video and gave up.

I still pre-ordered this game though and I'm hoping I can at least sort of understand the plot.

you won't

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

:shrug:

Well at least it'll be fun to play as Donald Duck again.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Popete posted:

Game will most likely explain everything needed and every world will be just sora learning something about friendship that is very general.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
I played the game for 7 hours straight today or so help me

It’s great but it’s daunting to have a similar smorgasbord of mechanics as 2 and nobody readily online to explain what everything even does

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Understanding the plot of KH games is irrelevant for enjoyment of them.

When you're playing the game, you'll eventually figure out who are the good guys and who are the bad guys. The bad guys you hit with your magic key.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

For people that have played it, how is the hitstun on bosses? Do they flinch a lot?

And anyone on base ps3? Curious about framerate worries (though honestly a solid 30+ is enough to make me happy)

Pug Rodeo
Feb 20, 2007

BRING IT ON BRING IT ON YEAH

Like any long running series, there will always be lore nerds that stress over every little detail in the plot and those who just like to jump around and hit things with many shades in the middle. I’m sure going in blind is just as fun as knowing stuff. Knowing stuff in this series usually just makes you even more confused anyway.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I reached the World That Never Was in DDD. How much more do I have left in the game? I am hoping to finish it off before 3 is out tomorrow. I would like to do the Aqua story on the disc, but probably can skip it since it mostly a tech demo for KH3.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Rirse posted:

I reached the World That Never Was in DDD. How much more do I have left in the game? I am hoping to finish it off before 3 is out tomorrow. I would like to do the Aqua story on the disc, but probably can skip it since it mostly a tech demo for KH3.

That should be end game IIRC. Things get kind of cut scene heavy but you should be able to knock it out tonight. Then the Aqua story is probably 2, maybe 2.5 hours of content. At least look up the cut scenes on Youtube as the post credits scene leads directly into 3.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

J-Spot posted:

That should be end game IIRC. Things get kind of cut scene heavy but you should be able to knock it out tonight. Then the Aqua story is probably 2, maybe 2.5 hours of content. The post credits scene leads directly into 3.

Cool. On normal so it shouldn't be too bad. Man I got a lot of spirit recipes, but only made about ten because I never have the ingredients for them.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

bobjr posted:

Kingdom Hearts is light was probably a last Hail Mary by Sora that he just kinda hoped it would work
Yeah, that's how I always read it too. Ansem spends the whole game cramming every heart he can get together to make his new Kingdom Hearts because he's convinced that a poo poo-ton of hearts crammed together will produce unending darkness. Sora believes in everybody because he is an anime protagonist, so he's just asserting that no, it'll be light instead as an article of faith. Then Ansem opens up the door to see who was right and oops it was Sora, all of Xehanort's many incarnations are bad at science and that's what you get for using "sure we could calculate the likely outcome first, or we could just build it and see if anyone dies or not, and if not it'll probably be pretty cool" as a scientific method.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
If anyone was doing a hail mary during that scene it was Ansem

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Pug Rodeo posted:

Well, I guess it depends on how fast people age in this universe. Ventus is a big part of the mobile game and is still a kid in BBS.

Yeah that's the big confusing thing for me.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

CapnAndy posted:

that's what you get for using "sure we could calculate the likely outcome first, or we could just build it and see if anyone dies or not, and if not it'll probably be pretty cool" as a scientific method.

Clearly, this is the best method. :colbert:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I'm still playing bbs atm (prob not gonna start kh3 for a week, rip) and the thing with aqua is that she's the only one of the three to both listen to good advice (this is ven's problem mostly but also terra's) and not be incredibly gullible and listen to obviously evil people (this is terra's problem mostly but also ven's). aqua's basically just following orders the whole game and she doesn't feel like she has much agency in the story as a result. but for the most part, the people that are acting on their own are actively working against their own best interests

one problem that all three share is that none of them actually listen to each other. like it would have been pretty easy to get ven to go home if terra and aqua had actually talked to the kid, but they didn't and this is what happened

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

For people that have played it, how is the hitstun on bosses? Do they flinch a lot?

And anyone on base ps3? Curious about framerate worries (though honestly a solid 30+ is enough to make me happy)

It depends a lot on the boss to be honest and what you're using to attack them. You can stun-lock some enemies real easy but a lot of enemies have moves with super armor or such.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I know no one has LPs out rn, but does anyone know of any LPers who have historically LP’d KH games that

a) aren’t extremely annoying
b) don’t spend every second complaining about the plot
and optionally, c) do cut commentary?

.....I just really want some leads to make the digging easier.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Aqua had the most badass KH opening yet, with a remix of simple and clean in A Fragmentary Passage. Where she tag teams with Mickey Mouse to fight terranort and ventusnitas and his chi-blade

https://youtu.be/DB-SgmfG_eM

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013

Tenzarin posted:

After thinking about it, if KH BBS wasn't dark enough for you KH X had the character you designed die in a pointless battle and left on the ground to decay to bones/keyblade and no one will ever remember their name.

Completely false, your created protag is explicitly a survivor of the war, with most other remaining wielders having dodged the actual combat.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Yeah that's the big confusing thing for me.

My head canon is that marluxia and roxas are both like ten thousand years old

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

TriffTshngo posted:

I guess I mean less that they're stupid and more dense as hell. As I'm going through DDD it's actually really refreshing to see Riku pick up on and mostly understand everything that's happening to him relatively quickly, whereas Sora, Terra, and Ventus are all complete blockheads who practically take their entire game's worth of time to figure out incredibly basic stuff. Now granted, picking apart every work of fiction that involves a protagonist or otherwise protag-aligned character being fooled by a villain is an exercise in futility, but Terra in particular is exceptionally gullible and easy to manipulate.

Which is why Xehanort picked him to manipulate and fool, I suppose.

I'd argue that Terra actually isn't that gullible. His MO through his story tends to be taking a wait-and-see approach before coming to a conclusion and follow up on it, but once he does, he will see it through to the end. Most of the time where he does end up trusting a villain (Captain Hook, Master Xehanort, and... Jumba I guess), there is actual logic behind it then and there; the rest of the villains he generally distrusts.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

hosed up that when i get home from work tomorrow i get to play kingdom hearts 3

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Brother Entropy posted:

hosed up that when i get home from work tomorrow i get to play kingdom hearts 3

I'm on vacation for the week, God willing I'll be playing in four hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

hey i'm close to the end of 3D and can i just say:

sora's Fantasia boss is loving garbage