Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Phthisis posted:

I basically sold all my amps and poo poo after trying out garageband on my macbook pro with a rocksmith cable because it's pretty amazingly good. I don't know if the iRig adapter works with it but I feel like I get professional-quality amp/effect emulation with the rocksmith cable and garageband.

Is there any latency? I ditched Rockband because of the delay coming through my TV but that was also a ps3, an old tv and forever ago. If the cable works well on a computer I may pick one back up. I’ve been looking for an easy way to amplify and add effects to my electric in my tiny apartment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Rolo posted:

Is there any latency? I ditched Rockband because of the delay coming through my TV but that was also a ps3, an old tv and forever ago. If the cable works well on a computer I may pick one back up. I’ve been looking for an easy way to amplify and add effects to my electric in my tiny apartment.

In my experience the Rocksmith cable has zero discernible audio lag with the game, but occasionally has to be re-plugged in to sync back up with Logic Pro. It's nice.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I haven't suffered any lag with Rocksmith, just one cable dying on me after only a few months. The replacement has lasted over twice as long so far though.

Phthisis
Apr 16, 2007

"Maybe some dolphins have sex for pleasure."

Rolo posted:

I use a 2013 MacBook Pro, and there is a very very tiny amount of latency. Unless I've got a lot of stuff running in the background, it's basically only noticeable if you compare it back to back with an amp. For example, I've run it with Chrome and iTunes open and the latency isn't really noticeable, even when playing fast things. In contrast, I found the original Rocksmith to be borderline unplayable on both Xbox 360 and PC. And again, I even ditched a lot of my physical gear because I didn't think I was missing anything going fully emulation.

I've also got the newer Rocksmith game on PC, and the emulated guitar in that game on my gaming PC still comes out a little laggier than GarageBand on my laptop, though I have no complaints with how the new game runs on my PC.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Well after the guitar chat and a few beers last night, I started going through pics of gear I used to have and got bummed. I had a white Epiphone Studio that I sold in 2013 to fund a move across the country for a good job. Always regretted doing it but it had to be done.

Anyways, I woke up today and ordered the same one:

Also one of these because I’ve always wanted to play with one:

And:
-Realtone cable
-Ernie strings
-9 volt batteries for my active pickup strat
-Lots of various cables

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
I gotta buddy with a couple of those little pocket operators and they're cool as poo poo.

They make beeps and boops.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Aramek posted:

I gotta buddy with a couple of those little pocket operators and they're cool as poo poo.

They make beeps and boops.

Look at their new toys

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGxi2htza0w

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Helios Grime posted:

Got me some new gym shoes, as my old ones are not as stable as they used to be.

I love my Metcons.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

The OP-1 is really cool, too. Way too expensive for my hobby budget but it’s getting quite the following (and price gouging from resellers.)

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Hooooooly shiiiiit.

I’ve resisted the temptation for so long. But this is incredible.

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

I love my Metcons.

Good to hear, I've been using Reebok CrossFit brand shoes the last few years cause they had a good athletic fit without cushioning on the heel but I never liked the branding itself. Gonna test them out on some deadlifts tommorow.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
I have a pair of Metcons too and while they are comfy they are about the loudest sneaker I've ever owned. Every step the entire upper creaks like crazy, should I be oiling these things? I thought at first that it was just because they were new, but here we are over a year later and I'm the guy with the squeaky shoes.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Ultimate Mango posted:

Hooooooly shiiiiit.

I’ve resisted the temptation for so long. But this is incredible.

Sorry but the big one is already sold out. Though I suppose it's probably better to wait for the "true" modular chassis where you can choose your own setup.

It's bound to come later since they will sell the modules separately

friendly 2 da void
Mar 23, 2018

Bought a cool poster from OG cultural prankster man V. Vale's "Survival Research Laboratories", one of the last ones available

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Inspector 34 posted:

I have a pair of Metcons too and while they are comfy they are about the loudest sneaker I've ever owned. Every step the entire upper creaks like crazy, should I be oiling these things? I thought at first that it was just because they were new, but here we are over a year later and I'm the guy with the squeaky shoes.

Same, mine are a year old and still sound like I’m walking in rubber galoshes. It’s worst on tile, I don’t notice it as much outside, but it’s real annoying. Mine are the 3’s, I don’t know if they fixed it with the 4’s.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

DrBouvenstein posted:

Renting a house for the winter while the owner is in Florida. It's got a woodstove as a secondary heat source, but a lot of the wood outside isn't split. I tried using the old, dull-as-poo poo splitting maul the owner left in the garage, but it was not cutting it..literally. It is so dull it just leaves dents in the top of the logs I try to split.

Picked up this baby:

My Lord, splitting wood is actually FUN with this thing. I can get most logs to split in one solid hit up to maybe 9 or 10" diameter.

And I've been getting very "soft" lately, so it's good for to to get at least some sort of exercise. They say wood's the only fuel that warms you twice/three times. (When you split and stack it, and when you burn it. )

Mmmm, lovely Fiskars. I just bought a pair of Fiskars pinking shears to finish repairing 'alterations' made on several vintage dresses I had collected over the past year or so.

I've known how to use a sewing machine and all that since single digits, but haven't had access to my main machine because of storage/placement issues. When I received back the dresses and their dreadful alterations it was motivation to source up an old machine and the parts to rebuild it.

So most of my recent purchases have been the means to repair the repairs on these dresses and restore a 1925 Singer handcrank machine.

Samples of what this woman did to my dresses:

1. Her version of altering the bust of this silk dress by lifting the shoulders: all she did was fold over about two inches of fabric and tack it down, like a sandwich. This made weird (and very visible) padding on the shoulders. This also made the armholes too tight since she took up too much fabric. Cherry on the bun is that she did it unequally so one side was lifted higher than the other. I have since unpicked her alterations, and lifted the shoulders the way you're pretty much taught in in basic sewing lessons (and there are loads of tutorials and things online).

:psyduck:

2. Her version of altering the bust on the top of this wool dress by sewing giant seams through the shoulders, which destroyed the line of its velvet collar. The trainwreck she delivered back to me is like the Grover House of Dresses.

A view of how she just sewed straight through the arms, shoulders, and collar of this dress, obliterating any of the original tailoring. She actually attempted to hide the mess she made of the collar by removing and restitching the dress's label.

Two views of how she hosed up the smooth line of the velvet collar -- she honestly thought I wouldn't notice.

This is how she tried to hide the stitching on the right side of the dress -- you can see the original shoulder seam, and then she's tried to tack her crap seam over top of it. This is not how the shoulders of a fitted suit dress should look!

View looking down where I've restored one side of the collar/line of the dress by unpicking her poor stitching, with the other side of the dress still a mess, for contrast.

The shoulders and collar of the dress fully restored.

. The wool suit after I undid her alterations, lifted the shoulders properly, restored the collar, and adjusted the bodice of the dress so that it now fits me. The whole thing needs to be professionally cleaned and pressed now, to remove the pressing lines she made in the wool fabric when she 'fixed' it for me.

I've had to undo and repair nearly every, single dress she altered for me. This is a person who owns a long-running vintage shop and advertises that she's an expert at tailoring and alteration. My reaction to these dresses, but especially the grey one was :stonk: (And yes, I did fittings with her -- five frigging hours, and she seemed to know what she was doing -- one of the dresses came out perfectly).

Meanwhile, I have been having a lot of fun with my 'new' Singer!

Bonus Victorian dog nutcracker found in Brighton. I love the Laines.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Was $450 after trading in my old 7 plus. i’m really liking the attention awareness features face id utilizes.

Epiphone “custom shop limited edition” les paul special. Its about 8% of the cost of my Gibson LP, but I wanted a guitar with P90 pickups. I love the light weight, smooth satin finish and I nicknamed it black magic.

New leather strap for my seiko and a corny gold lcd timex for shits n giggles.

A book seller at the swap meet didnt want to haul his books home so he had a free for all and I snagged some history related books.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The Iliad - from two time Hugo award finalist Chuck Tingle.

Chef Bourgeoisie
Oct 9, 2016

by Reene

Ms Boods posted:

[Dress horror]

:gonk:

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Jerry Cotton posted:

The Iliad - from two time Hugo award finalist Chuck Tingle.

κοπανίζω in the άκρο by my own άκρο.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Rolo posted:

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Got shadow of war for the PS4 from best buy cause it's crazy cheap at the moment.

Hopefully I'll be able to get my flippy stabby orc bloodlust thing going on later tonight.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Rolo posted:

Google translate is interesting on this one.

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Twisted my ankle yesterday & now it's all swollen. Cat knocked my favorite coffee mug off the counter. Scale at gym shows I gained weight. I'm making sure my day isn't a total wash by eating breakfast at Pho Kim down the street from my house.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Your handwriting is cool.

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians
Purchased a night in a ryokan here, with a hot-spring-fed hot tub on our balcony:

Complete with a kaiseki dinner for two:

And a traditional Japanese breakfast for two:

Also used points to book 5 nights in the Hyatt Centric Ginza in Tokyo, 6 nights in a hotel in Kyoto, and roundtrip business class flights on ANA from Seattle.

May can't get here soon enough :)

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

[Dress horror] is no more -- I've managed to undo the terrible alterations and do them properly now that I have my old Singer up and running :sun:

Meanwhile, I just bought two metres of muslin so that I can recover my bed pillow bases.

NovaLion
Jun 2, 2013

REMEMBER

Nur_Neerg posted:

Purchased a night in a ryokan here, with a hot-spring-fed hot tub on our balcony:

Complete with a kaiseki dinner for two:

And a traditional Japanese breakfast for two:

Also used points to book 5 nights in the Hyatt Centric Ginza in Tokyo, 6 nights in a hotel in Kyoto, and roundtrip business class flights on ANA from Seattle.

May can't get here soon enough :)

How'd you find that hot-spring fed tub? I'm super interested in booking a trip.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

ChocNitty posted:

Epiphone “custom shop limited edition” les paul special. Its about 8% of the cost of my Gibson LP, but I wanted a guitar with P90 pickups. I love the light weight, smooth satin finish and I nicknamed it black magic.

Digging all the great guitars on the last few pages!

Just recently picked up a new (to me) Blueridge BR160 myself:

Wanted something a step up from my Yamaha FG acoustic, and boy howdy the Chinese Martin D-28 clone does not disappoint!

Also bought a Polytune Clip on Tuner:

And a used Katana amp head with foot switch to replace my old wonky Marshall Head:

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Solice Kirsk posted:

Your handwriting is cool.

The cool part is that they don't teach cursive in school anymore, so in the future this will basically be a secret language for Millenials and older to communicate with.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
Upgraded my home theatre to 4K over the last few months. I don't often buy brand new things, but I'm enough of a couch potato to justify a decent TV and sound system.

Samsung UE55MU8005

Onkyo TX-NR686

Norstone Esse TV stand (preowned)

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

davebo posted:

The cool part is that they don't teach cursive in school anymore, so in the future this will basically be a secret language for Millenials and older to communicate with.

I learned cursive in school and hated every second of it. I dropped that poo poo the second I could. I can barely read it anymore either. I'm not sure most millennials can read/write cursive either :cheeky:

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

evobatman posted:

Onkyo TX-NR686

What did you pay for this if you don't mind me asking? My 3 year old Onkyo just crapped out on me so I need a new receiver.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
Edit: ^^ a receiver dying after only 3 years is completely unacceptable. If the one that died was an Onkyo why would you support them by buying another one?
Obviously any brand and change greatly over time but I've had 3 receivers since I first got surround sound in 1999, all Pioneer, and even the first one still works great. Although it has been relegated to my parent's basement room these days so doesn't see much use.

OniPanda posted:

I learned cursive in school and hated every second of it. I dropped that poo poo the second I could. I can barely read it anymore either. I'm not sure most millennials can read/write cursive either :cheeky:

I hear you. I learned in third grade which would have been mid-80's. I used it for note-taking all through high school and college and I can still read it okay but damned if I remember how to make an upper-case Z nowadays.

davebo has a new favorite as of 23:26 on Jan 29, 2019

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

Got tickets for a band that I loved in the 90s. They're middle aged. I'm middle aged. The show could be amazing or a travesty of olds trying to reclaim their youth. Here's hoping.

https://i.imgur.com/TvAARFz.jpg

EDIT: Corrected URL for size. Sorry!

null_pointer has a new favorite as of 15:14 on Jan 30, 2019

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

null_pointer posted:

Got tickets for a band that I loved in the 90s. They're middle aged. I'm middle aged. The show could be amazing or a travesty of olds trying to reclaim their youth. Here's hoping.

https://i.imgur.com/TvAARFz_d.jpg

Well your post makes me want to go get glasses so the youth angle isn't working too well for me

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

Slippery posted:

Well your post makes me want to go get glasses so the youth angle isn't working too well for me

I'm ... Sorry? :shrug:

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

null_pointer posted:

look at your link...its really tiny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

null_pointer posted:

The picture makes me feel old cause it's blurry and I can't read it :)