Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

i knew i had fully transitioned to sales/marketing when i saw a peloton ad and thought "well done, nice grift"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

hobbesmaster posted:

i knew i had fully transitioned to sales/marketing when i saw a peloton ad and thought "well done, nice grift"

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

FMguru posted:

best thread on twitter today (i know, tallest dwarf and all, but still click through)

https://twitter.com/ClueHeywood/status/1089699762331217920

lol

https://twitter.com/ClueHeywood/status/1089726955652505600

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

taxchat: freetaxusa dot com is real good and real free and way the hell less annoying than turbo "lol here's a long animation while we delete last years info because you didn't pay us. gently caress you" tax

pelotons are $2k exercise bikes with a subscription on top of that. $2k gets you a really nice bike that can move and doesn't have a monthly fee

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Enderzero posted:

yep, that's why im staying in chicago. i've just noticed most people have a list of places they could plausibly live and i don't have one at all because everywhere seems worse than chicago.

ok so i don't know how many different ways i can put this: places with higher costs of living also tend to have higher wages.

if you leave chicago for new york, your employer will be obliged to pay you more in order to secure your services

you may wish to stay in chicago for other reasons but come on, guy. no one is gonna ask you to add $1k a month to your rent/mortgage and not offer you more money

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Enderzero posted:

incisive, john. so many people have been saying the opposite

https://twitter.com/ID_AA_Carmack/status/1089921927894962181

hahaha

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
still_not_getting_it.txt

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
wait wait wtf peloton has a subscription model

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

taxchat: freetaxusa dot com is real good and real free and way the hell less annoying than turbo "lol here's a long animation while we delete last years info because you didn't pay us. gently caress you" tax

i tried using a cheaper tax software last year and i ended up having to re-do everything in turbotax anyway, because the cheap package hosed it up

if your taxes are really simple you can use 1040ez, and fill it out with a loving pen

if your taxes are not simple enough for 1040ez, you are gonna be paying for turbotax or taxcut

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

infernal machines posted:

still_not_getting_it.txt

https://twitter.com/hxdev/status/1089975483004006400

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

wtf no it absoloutely would not outweigh the other issues

what a piece of poo poo

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
"focus on the tech", yes, so if magic was real this would have been a game changer.

AM/FM

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

wait wait wtf peloton has a subscription model

yes, you pay $1.5-2k for the bike, then like $30/month for the classes

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
i mean that really is how confidence scams work

john all announcing to the world what a good mark he is

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
classes, for riding a fake bicycle in your living room

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Krankenstyle posted:

wtf no it absoloutely would not outweigh the other issues

what a piece of poo poo

well, a lot of the "other issues" sort of accumulated around the foundation of "sell a product that doesn't and cannot exist"

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Endless Mike posted:

i should've guessed

and here i was thinking they sent you like gear lube and new seat covers and stuff

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
lol

the "tech" couldnt possibly have worked (barring several decades of breakthroughs in nanotechnology) which is why out of all the board members and primary funders not a single one of them was a medical or biotech person

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

spin class, but without the social factor

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

FMguru posted:

lol

the "tech" couldnt possibly have worked (barring several decades of breakthroughs in nanotechnology) which is why out of all the board members and primary funders not a single one of them was a medical or biotech person

nothing based on a finger stick was ever going to work, no matter what nanotechnology you have

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Endless Mike posted:

im going to go right ahead and guess that if you stop paying your monthly subscription fee the bike becomes effectively useless

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
if this company succeeded at doing what they set out to do, they wouldn't have failed

thanks john

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
theranos was claiming to solve three problems

1. testing blood in extremely small amounts
  2. testing blood in a completely automated fashion
  3. using a finger stick as the source of blood for blood tests

item #3 is completely, totally, 100% impossible

reasonable people can disagree about whether #1 or #2 were ever practical, under any circumstance, but #3 was never on deck

ever

no biologist or medical authority was ever, ever, ever, ever going to sign off on #3

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

nothing based on a finger stick was ever going to work, no matter what nanotechnology you have

the nanobots live in your blood and record data and then the pinprick... uh... maybe gets one and grabs the data

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

what the gently caress do they teach you in those peloton classes. how to pedal???

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

I had to look that one up cause that url makes it look like a complete scam, but it’s actually legit and might be a better deal. wtf

BMan posted:

what the gently caress do they teach you in those peloton classes. how to pedal???

it’s basically facetiming a cycle class so they say poo poo like “you’re going up a hill now time to turn up the resistance woo what a hill”

My Linux Rig fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jan 28, 2019

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

it's like every pie-eyed pitch about autonomous vehicles that basically goes "if we could make inertia-less vehicles we could really revolutionize the average commute"

and it's true, they're not wrong, it's just that if your product relies on a radical new understanding of fundamental physics, it's probably not something you should be selling today

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

My Linux Rig posted:

I had to look that one up cause that url makes it look like a complete scam, but it’s actually legit and might be a better deal. wtf

ive used it for the last 3 years no problem. it's completely legit and works great. i agree it sounds super shady as gently caress, and who knows, maybe in 5 years it'll be revealed it's a chinese/russian front to steal data.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

BMan posted:

im convinced this is some weird upper middle class dating scheme

you're supposed to hit on the trainer right?
or they hit on you?
whats the deal here

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

it's bikes but for Instagram

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

well sure because going to an actual spin class means potentially interacting with poors

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

im convinced this is some weird upper middle class dating scheme

you're supposed to hit on the trainer right?
or they hit on you?
whats the deal here

"Why you always zip your bike shorts up after you get off that spin bike Punchy, you got a pussy in there?"

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

infernal machines posted:

"focus on the tech", yes, so if magic was real this would have been a game changer.

wow! huge, if true

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
gently caress yeah free tax usa even supports k-1, i'll try them this year

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

duz posted:

well sure because going to an actual spin class means potentially interacting with poors

spin classes are several hundred dollars a month

several hundred earth dollars to sit in a room full of sweaty white ladies while a stranger yells at you about riding fake bicycles

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
not exactly, if you have a cheap $25/mo gym membership they probably do a spin class for free at least once a week, mine did

bougie white people cult spin classes like soulcycle where they pack you in like sweaty sardines and shout mantras at you, sure that's gonna be $$$$

and that is the market peloton is aimed after, so yeah

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
peloton is about having that soul cycle bourgeoisie experience but, like many things in our modern world, without having to deal with the social aspects

basically its made for affluent computer touchers

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
i didn't know spin "classes" were even a thing until soulcycle turned up

i am utterly baffled by the idea of riding a fake bicycle in company, while someone yells at you

the whole thing sounds like an elaborate practical joke

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
some people really like group exercise -- only with peloton you can have the group exercise...without..the...group?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

lancemantis posted:

some people really like group exercise -- only with peloton you can have the group exercise...without..the...group?

disruptive as gently caress