Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Radish posted:

Seriously. Bernie is the only one that has done even the barest effort of building up good faith regarding the stuff that NEEDS to be done to stave off another right wing maniac. Booker is spending his time going to charter schools in 2019. It's an absolute mess. Obama said a lot of stuff he immediatly abandoned after getting elected and if that happens another time we are hosed. It's an absolutely huge concern.

The scariest thing about 2020 is that we're all but guaranteed to win, but not at all guaranteed to stop someone worse than Trump from winning in 2024.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
Kamala is a dead candidate walking at this point. I hope other candidates start hitting her hard as soon as possible.

As someone who has had to deal with the authoritarian side of the california education system, gently caress her forever.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

FilthyImp posted:

Uh, Lorena Sanchez probably wasn't much better dude.

Never said she was. One of the nice things about voting in CA is that you can safely go third party or write-in for a Senate election and still be pretty dang sure a Democrat will win.

The extinction of the GOP in CA has been quite nice to watch no matter who the Dem standard bearers are.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

OhDearGodNo posted:

Watch the vid, don’t just read the tweet.

The video is a lot less damning than the tweet implies. She says they dropped the charges against the woman once she got her kids back in school.

I'm not trying to come in here as a defender of her cause I seriously don't know anything about her.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Radish posted:

A good barometer for how bad a candidate is is how hard certain people go to avoid discussing any of their history. It was the same with Beto as it is with Harris that if you even look at their past people start screaming about party disunity, slander, and other such nonsense.

"Why should the ethical and professional actions I've done in the past as a private citizen or in a position of power, or the things I want to do in the future, be a reason not to vote for me for president of the united states? I REALLY want to be president, you guys. The strategy team I'm paying tons of money tell me I have a shot, why are you all being such jerks about this!? Just because I threatened a child with prison for ditching school and telling them their parents would be sent away to prison as well? Well, I think we should look forward and not backward. If you look backward you see all the people I've hit with my car, but if you look forward you only see so many people I haven't yet hit!"

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Another one

https://mobile.twitter.com/MattFriedmanNJ/status/1089996380540731393

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Popete posted:

The video is a lot less damning than the tweet implies. She says they dropped the charges against the woman once she got her kids back in school.

I'm not trying to come in here as a defender of her cause I seriously don't know anything about her.

If you threaten to stab somebody if they don't exercise and then they do and you say "see look they started getting healthier and I ended up not stabbing them" that's Bad

Arturo Ui
Apr 14, 2005

Forums Bosch Expert

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Kamala is a dead candidate walking at this point. I hope other candidates start hitting her hard as soon as possible.

As someone who has had to deal with the authoritarian side of the california education system, gently caress her forever.

Lol if you don't think libs aren't going to dismiss this as 'Bernie Bro propaganda'. They've already decided Harris is their candidate and attacks from the left aren't going to stop them

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Yeah I don't mean to keep harping on that weird af way of making the point, but the sheer extent to which 95% of congress-people are just completely divorced from the day to day reality of the rest of the world is so shocking.

Calling them aristocrats isn't an exaggeration.

Paradoxish posted:

The scariest thing about 2020 is that we're all but guaranteed to win, but not at all guaranteed to stop someone worse than Trump from winning in 2024.

Yeah it's really frightening. Also I don't think Biden is a guaranteed win considering he's been campaigning for the GOP, both figuratively and literally, for the last year.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Herstory Begins Now posted:

I mean they still brought charges against a homeless woman working 2 jobs to support her 3 kids even if they did eventually dismiss them. IMO that's some monstrous poo poo to do to some woman

Yeah I'll go ahead and say she's way too Fash Adjacent for my liking. Next!

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Loretta Sanchez straight up ran to Kamala's right and was actively trying to appeal to Republicans

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Soothing Vapors posted:

I'm not even as anti-cop as the rest of you and I find this stomach turning

Perhaps now is the time to become as anti-cop as some of the rest of us.

Seph
Jul 12, 2004

Please look at this photo every time you support or defend war crimes. Thank you.

1glitch0 posted:

Holy poo poo. It's like someone put Hillary, Obama, and Trump into a blender and then added extra authoritarianism. I mean, holy poo poo.

On the other hand, maybe parents should be responsible for their kids going to school and this is a good motivator? It's been shown that having deadbeat parents can lead to many issues down the line that end up being society's problem to fix (e.g. crime, teenage pregnancies, high school dropouts). Plus, what she mentioned specifically was for elementary school truancy. If your 8-year-old kid has recurring unexcused absences you're a loving terrible parent.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Just want to take this post to point out that every reason people are turning on Kamala now has been public knowledge for forever.

The only reason people were giving her a pass was because her supporters insisted that she "didn't really want to" do the awful poo poo she did, as if that was probably or could possibly matter.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Popete posted:

I brought a poor homeless woman up on bullshit charges which I then magnanimously dropped

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Arturo Ui posted:

Lol if you don't think libs aren't going to dismiss this as 'Bernie Bro propaganda'. They've already decided Harris is their candidate and attacks from the left aren't going to stop them

I thought Beto was “our candidate.”

I must have missed the memo.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Paradoxish posted:

i am unsure. i think trump and the alt right types have burned out their welcome as of right now to put it nicely. they will get pushed underground for another decade or so to sleep and bitch like an ideological Pennywise. the GOP will probaly try a romney/kasich type again.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Popete posted:

Yeah, I'm gonna say that bringing up charges on a homeless woman working two jobs is a wanton abuse of prosecutorial power even if you later drop the charges.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Seph posted:

On the other hand, maybe parents should be responsible for their kids going to school and this is a good motivator? It's been shown that having deadbeat parents can lead to many issues down the line that end up being society's problem to fix (e.g. crime, teenage pregnancies, high school dropouts). Plus, what she mentioned specifically was for elementary school truancy. If your 8-year-old kid has recurring unexcused absences you're a loving terrible parent.

Problem: parents aren't sending their kids to school
Solution: lock them in prison so they can't send their kids to school :shepface:

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Popete posted:

But that's the damning part? Wielding the criminal justice system against a homeless woman working multiple jobs is literally monstrous. That isn't how you treat someone who "just needs help."

edit-

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i am unsure. i think trump and the alt right types have burned out their welcome as of right now to put it nicely. they will get pushed underground for another decade or so to sleep and bitch like an ideological Pennywise. the GOP will probaly try a romney/kasich type again.

This is the problem, though. The alt right are loving morons who can't actually get anything done and are just clearly idiots. Nothing that Trump wants is outside of the norm for the GOP, and in the long run Trump has done far less damage and hurt far less people than regular old Republican GWB. If we win with someone who effectively hands the White House back to the GOP in 2024 then the Republicans are going to manage to do everything that Trump wanted to do and no one will even notice until it's too late.

Paradoxish fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jan 28, 2019

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

OhDearGodNo posted:

Watch the vid, don’t just read the tweet.
I did, it's her level of pride in her ghoulish bullshit that really elevates it from bad to grotesque

Popete posted:

Yeah, that... doesn't make it any better at all

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Popete posted:

THERE SHOULD NEVER HAD BEEN CHARGES IN THE FIRST PLACE!

For fucks sake she was homeless mother working multiple jobs and trying to keep her kids in school. Schools and law enforcement should never interact unless an actual crime is committed. Truancy is not a loving crime.

Also what the gently caress is the idea of missing 3 days being classified as truant. that's loving stupid as hell.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Popete posted:

"As a DA, I have a big stick" and "Oh, I have a scary badge on my letterhead" I think, to me, already indicates someone not qualified to lead the Progressive Revolution. But maybe that's just me. Like, plain and simple, regardless of the letter by their name, their background, their race, their economic standing and etc. Way too Fash adjacent for my liking.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I can really see them running Larry Hogan.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
The most positive possible spin you could put on this is that her job was to use the hammer, so she decided to use that hammer on poor people to solve poverty.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

The criminal justice system is terrifying and people that it doesn't brutalize are super flippant about it. Being brought up on charges is horrifying and you have no idea they are going to be dropped. That's something that would give me PTSD just knowing that at any minute I could be thrown into the prison system and have my life robbed and family destroyed. American prisons are a nightmare.

The fact that she let Mnuchin off the hook blows a huge hole in the "well she simply HAD to do it" bullshit that gets brought out to defend people that use the law to ruin the powerless.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jan 28, 2019

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Hey remember when we thought the Tea Party was going to be a thing that didn't self destruct in 2018? The current brand of stupidity is even more fragile because it relies completly on Trump.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
"LOOK WE COULD ONLY PUT THIS POOR HOMELESS WOMAN ON OUTREACH PROGRAMS SHE SHOULD HAVE ALREADY BEEN IN, AFTER WE PUT A MANHUNT ON HER. This poo poo is hard!"

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Crow Jane posted:

I can really see them running Larry Hogan.

yeah, they are gonna try hard to suppress the "outward" racist poo poo(the sexism/homophobia will stick around though) and push people like hogan.

Seph
Jul 12, 2004

Please look at this photo every time you support or defend war crimes. Thank you.

VitalSigns posted:

Problem: parents aren't sending their kids to school
Solution: lock them in prison so they can't send their kids to school :shepface:

It's a carrot and stick approach like she said in the video (which you probably didn't watch). The elementary school offers programs to help get kids into school. If the parent, despite all the programs, doesn't send their kid to school, then they get punished. I'd go a step further and say if they repeatedly let their third grader skip school then they should probably lose their rights as a parent all together. Kids deserve better than lovely deadbeat parents.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Seph posted:

It's a carrot and stick approach like she said in the video (which you probably didn't watch). The elementary school offers programs to help get kids into school. If the parent, despite all the programs, doesn't send their kid to school, then they get punished. I'd go a step further and say if they repeatedly let their third grader skip school then they should probably lose their rights as a parent all together. Kids deserve better than lovely deadbeat parents.
I watched it.

The speech even elucidates how stupid this lock-em-up initiative was.

The problem was that the woman lacked access to services that could help her, and the solution was a case manager to aid her in signing up for those services, charging her with a crime was completely irrelevant.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Radish posted:

The criminal justice system is terrifying and people that it doesn't brutalize are super flippant about it. Being brought up on charges is horrifying and you have no idea they are going to be dropped. That's something that would give me PTSD just knowing that at any minute I could be thrown into the prison system and have my life robbed and family destroyed.

ESPECIALLY for those too broke to afford a proper lawyer. In drat near any city in the US, needing a public defender is as good as not having a lawyer at all. You meet them seconds before the hearing and spend maybe five total minutes with them on average. Read the Taibbi book, it's horrifying. The criminal justice system the poor deal with literally is a hole you fall headlong into and you sometimes don't emerge from it for months or years, innocent or not.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Nietsche posted:

But thus I counsel you, my friends: Mistrust all in whom the impulse to punish is powerful. They are people of a low sort and stock; the hangmen and the bloodhound look out of their faces. Mistrust all who talk much of their justice! Verily, their souls lack more than honey. And when they call themselves the good and the just, do not forget that they would be pharisees, if only they had—power.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Weird how it's a carrot and stick for parents of truant kids with real physical jail but financial criminals just learn their lesson without punishment.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Seph posted:

Do you think the foster care system is going to be better for those kids?

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Radish posted:

Weird how it's a carrot and stick for parents of truant kids with real physical jail but financial criminals just learn their lesson without punishment.

applying a stick to steve mnuchin might have cost her valuable Political Capital (tm)

now, a woman in poverty, on the other hand...

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Like at a certain point tough on crime liberals need to come to terms that jail doesn't solve any of these social problems and just makes them worse, especially when we have a for profit prison industry designed to monetize prisoners and a racist justice system that isn't close to equal.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Seph posted:

As someone that was raised by a single mother working multiple jobs and at one point lived in a women's shelter

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

applying a stick to steve mnuchin might have cost her valuable Political Capital (tm)

With how much he donated to her campaign, it would have cost her even more Capital Captial

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Seph posted:

Well, I guess you're Harris' target voter. You're pretty awful, but definitely agree with her policy decisions.