Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

As someone that was raised by a single mother working multiple jobs and at one point lived in a women's shelter

Don't worry they'll just make it a crime to be poor or a single mom, boom problem solved

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i am unsure. i think trump and the alt right types have burned out their welcome as of right now to put it nicely. they will get pushed underground for another decade or so to sleep and bitch like an ideological Pennywise. the GOP will probaly try a romney/kasich type again.
The problem is there’s this thing called a primary, where Romney/Kasich types will have to persuade a party membership now composed almost entirely of screaming rabid fascists that actually, what they want is not the deaths of brown children, but tax cuts on the rich.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Seph posted:

It's a carrot and stick approach like she said in the video (which you probably didn't watch). The elementary school offers programs to help get kids into school. If the parent, despite all the programs, doesn't send their kid to school, then they get punished. I'd go a step further and say if they repeatedly let their third grader skip school then they should probably lose their rights as a parent all together. Kids deserve better than lovely deadbeat parents.

Dude, gently caress you. You fault the people being crushed by this system for their struggles and your solution is adding tons of kids to a system that is already stressed to the breaking point in most cities and AT BEST is still worse than the "deficient" but nonetheless still loving home they had to begin with? What you're proposing here is "Hooray for the school-to-prison pipeline" because statistically, that's what happens to kids who disappear into "the system" as you propose.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Shammypants posted:

Hey remember when we thought the Tea Party was going to be a thing that didn't self destruct in 2018? The current brand of stupidity is even more fragile because it relies completly on Trump.

to be fair the whole maga crowd is pretty much an overlapping circle with the tea party crowd

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Isn't there a primary thread for this poo poo? I know the future democratic candidate for president is important but it's always the same drive by posting to incite this discussion and the bait is always taken.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Seph posted:

It's a carrot and stick approach like she said in the video (which you probably didn't watch). The elementary school offers programs to help get kids into school. If the parent, despite all the programs, doesn't send their kid to school, then they get punished. I'd go a step further and say if they repeatedly let their third grader skip school then they should probably lose their rights as a parent all together. Kids deserve better than lovely deadbeat parents.

I watched the video. Using the criminal justice system in this way is monstrous and authoritarian. Full stop. There is no acceptable justification for it ever, under any circumstances. If you are going to press charges then it better be because you intend to prosecute and convict, otherwise you are using your authority against someone that you fully acknowledge hasn't done anything to warrant it.

Seph
Jul 12, 2004

Please look at this photo every time you support or defend war crimes. Thank you.

Crow Jane posted:

Do you think the foster care system is going to be better for those kids?

The foster program certainly has its flaws, don't get me wrong, but I'd almost certainly say it's better than a homeless mother who isn't looking out for their child. The state should absolutely take every possible measure to help parents get their kids to school, but at some point responsibility has to fall onto the parent. If they are unable or unwilling to get their child to school I think they are unfit to be a parent in general.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Also what the gently caress is the idea of missing 3 days being classified as truant. that's loving stupid as hell.

its 3 unexcused absences, as in the parent or guardian didnt call to take the student out of class that day and the student is skipping school

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

pumpinglemma posted:

The problem is there’s this thing called a primary, where Romney/Kasich types will have to persuade a party membership now composed almost entirely of screaming rabid fascists that actually, what they want is not the deaths of brown children, but tax cuts on the rich.

The GOP needn’t worry, Charlie Kirk and Ben Shapiro are working hard on their Gen Z outreach strategies as we speak.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

VitalSigns posted:

Don't worry they'll just make it a crime to be poor or a single mom, boom problem solved

It already is in some ways. I can't tell you the amount of times my mom had to deal with stupid loving CPS bullshit and school administrators trying to be authoritarian dick swingers. Some schools are better than others, but gently caress anyone that wants to empower that meat grinder with actual criminal charges.

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat
I showed my (strongly leans D) girlfriend that Harris video and she got so mad at what a vicious piece of poo poo she sounded like I had to calm her down.

How about NO SEX PIGS LAW PIGS OR WAR PIGS 2020 for a loving slogan, Democrats? Christ. She'd go Nazi in a loving heartbeat if it'd get her a cushier office.

NO SEX PIGS LAW PIGS OR WAR PIGS 2020, you heard it here first folks.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Seph posted:

yeah, make the kids wards of the state. that'll fix everything

VH4Ever posted:

Dude, gently caress you. You fault the people being crushed by this system for their struggles and your solution is adding tons of kids to a system that is already stressed to the breaking point in most cities and AT BEST is still worse than the "deficient" but nonetheless still loving home they had to begin with?
well why didn't the single mom just have her au pair drive children to school :confused:

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Seph posted:

The foster program certainly has its flaws, don't get me wrong, but I'd almost certainly say it's better than a homeless mother who isn't looking out for their child.

gently caress you

Maybe instead of locking up people's parents for being homeless, we do something about the system that creates homelessness

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

VitalSigns posted:

No poors, no poverty! Harris 2020!

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Seph posted:

On the other hand, maybe parents should be responsible for their kids going to school and this is a good motivator? It's been shown that having deadbeat parents can lead to many issues down the line that end up being society's problem to fix (e.g. crime, teenage pregnancies, high school dropouts). Plus, what she mentioned specifically was for elementary school truancy. If your 8-year-old kid has recurring unexcused absences you're a loving terrible parent.

Nothing says deadbeat like working two jobs

e: you absolute robot

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

exploded mummy posted:

its 3 unexcused absences, as in the parent or guardian didnt call to take the student out of class that day and the student is skipping school

That's still loving stupid. I skipped way more than 3 days a year without an excuse, and i was one of the better students. Schools should teach and stop being authroitarian babysitters.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Paradoxish posted:

I watched the video. Using the criminal justice system in this way is monstrous and authoritarian. Full stop. There is no acceptable justification for it ever, under any circumstances. If you are going to press charges then it better be because you intend to prosecute and convict, otherwise you are using your authority against someone that you fully acknowledge hasn't done anything to warrant it.

A thousand times this. If reflecting on the 90s should have taught us anything, this "Well, obviously if you're following all the rules, you don't need to worry" poo poo to excuse sending the cops out for every little infraction is just one of the many tools of the devil. And we wonder why cops stomp around acting like godlike authority figures, we've employed their services in far too many facets of our life and thus they feel like the ultimate arbiters of society itself. We need to push back on that, and hard.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Seph posted:

The foster program certainly has its flaws, don't get me wrong, but I'd almost certainly say it's better than a homeless mother who isn't looking out for their child. The state should absolutely take every possible measure to help parents get their kids to school, but at some point responsibility has to fall onto the parent. If they are unable or unwilling to get their child to school I think they are unfit to be a parent in general.

mister schultz i get that you're a little upset about how your candidacy announcement was received but taking it out on homeless women strikes me as bad optics

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Hell even if you have mega deadbeat parents, you still are statistically far less likely to go to prison than if you aged out of the foster system, which is an 80-90% chance of incarceration.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Those cops had to scare the poo poo out of that woman or else they would feel sad and Harris cannot have that.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i am unsure. i think trump and the alt right types have burned out their welcome as of right now to put it nicely. they will get pushed underground for another decade or so to sleep and bitch like an ideological Pennywise. the GOP will probaly try a romney/kasich type again.

Trump and alt-right are fully in control of the party, and that won't change even if Trump loses 2020. His twitter account will still dictate what the party does, and what GOP voters think. By the time Trump is too frail to tweet or dictate tweets, the party will mostly made up of true-believer alt-right types anyway (most of the party were always like that, and Trump just got everyone to drop the pretense). The Kasich/Romney types are a minority in the party, and social media makes it impossible to sweep any past embarrassments under the rug.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/1090018425324351489?s=19

xov
Nov 14, 2005

DNA Ts. Rednum or F. Raf

pumpinglemma posted:

What's the general opinion of Kasich 'round these parts?
Despite being on the wrong faction, something about him seems almost okay to me.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
No I am not kidding it is really that bad

quote:

According to national statistics provided by Arrow, 40 to 50 percent of those children will never complete high school. Sixty-six percent of them will be homeless, go to jail or die within one year of leaving the foster care system at 18.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

xov posted:

Despite being on the wrong faction, something about him seems almost okay to me.

That's his trick.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

Seph posted:

What the gently caress is wrong with you.

“Beating children to death with iron bars has its flaws, don’t get me wrong, but I’d almost certainly say it’s better than giving them improper diets.”

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

exploded mummy posted:

Still stupid as hell. Especially when we're talking about the penalty for that being locking up parents. Or even threatening to lock up parents. The schools can't handle a 3 day absence without the loving DA stepping in? Gee, at my school, it had a whole office full of redundant paper pushers, those people can't just send some letters asking what's up, or make a phone call? Before the goddamn DA gets involved?

Boy, some people are just so casual with involving the cops in everything.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Radish posted:

Seriously. Bernie is the only one that has done even the barest effort of building up good faith regarding the stuff that NEEDS to be done to stave off another right wing maniac. Booker is spending his time going to charter schools in 2019. It's an absolute mess. Obama said a lot of stuff he immediatly abandoned after getting elected and if that happens another time we are hosed. It's an absolutely huge concern.

I was never a huge Sanders supporter. I like him but never really bought into the excitement. He's better than the alternatives, but I think he's just way too old and out of touch. That being said, I'd take him over anyone else I can think of who has a shot. Or really anyone who doesn't have a shot. There's really NO ONE. It seems to be a problem without a solution. I know I'm too left to ever be represented by a president in this country who has similar political beliefs as my own, but drat, the cop who giggles about frightening children over arresting them and their family, the charter school guy, the super old man who loves the banks and thinks young people are whiners, the woman who lost to Donald Trump... it's not a great field of choices. And the only alternative is an illiterate game show host wannabe fascist baby.

Honestly a lottery to choose the next president wouldn't be worse. It might not be better, but maybe we'd luck out. I don't see us lucking out with these candidates.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

I want to be happy about this, but the fact that her reasoning is, “The Democrats are more like Reagan,” is putting a damper on it.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Hell even if you have mega deadbeat parents, you still are statistically far less likely to go to prison than if you aged out of the foster system, which is an 80-90% chance of incarceration.

Sounds like a system well-equipped to have every truant kid in America dumped on it

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Herstory Begins Now posted:

No I am not kidding it is really that bad

Holy gently caress are we a broken society

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
If anyone hates feeling happy and wants to read about the long term outcomes of foster kids

https://jlc.org/news/what-foster-care-prison-pipeline

VitalSigns posted:

Sounds like a system well-equipped to have every truant kid in America dumped on it

look there are rigid systems in place to prevent abuse. In my state, for instance, social workers are able to spend up to 10-20 minutes per month per kid making sure that they are placed right, having their needs met, and aren't literally being pimped out by their foster parents

My state is unusually poorly funded, but on average, states need to increase the funding and total number of people involved in the foster system by at least an order of magnitude.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jan 28, 2019

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread

Paradoxish posted:

I think you're forgetting just how cool her cop letterhead was, and the fear it brought to those who received it. Super fun poo poo to play with.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

xov posted:

IIRC he’s very good at not saying the quiet part loud while he does horrible things in the background. Check out his record on abortion for a good example.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

I want to be happy about this, but the fact that her reasoning is, “The Democrats are more like Reagan,” is putting a damper on it.

That is reflective of how much further right the Republicans have gone than anything else.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

VH4Ever posted:

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

xov posted:

He sucks rear end and is absolutely ready for a return to the kind of Republicanism that was the standard right before Trump. So evil but erudite enough to give cover for the Beltway media to say how Serious and Responsible they are at making the Hard Decisions.

There are literally NO good Republicans. The Democrats are far enough right on "fiscal conservatism" that any person with any sense of morality or shame would be in that party or at the very least independent. You can't be a member of the GOP and be a good person, it's really that simply since they are so complicit in everything bad in this country.

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

That's still loving stupid. I skipped way more than 3 days a year without an excuse, and i was one of the better students. Schools should teach and stop being authroitarian babysitters.

The way thing are structured, schools don't get paid ADA money if students are not in attendance for a certain percentage of the year.

So there's your hosed up motivation for districts call the cops on a homeless mom.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

VH4Ever posted:

Still stupid as hell. Especially when we're talking about the penalty for that being locking up parents. Or even threatening to lock up parents. The schools can't handle a 3 day absence without the loving DA stepping in? Gee, at my school, it had a whole office full of redundant paper pushers, those people can't just send some letters asking what's up, or make a phone call? Before the goddamn DA gets involved?

That was the incredible thing about that speech no one had even bothered to find out why her kids were absent until they took their homeless overworked mother downtown and charged her with a crime and threatened her with prison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

VitalSigns posted:

That was the incredible thing about that speech no one had even bothered to find out why her kids were absent until they took their homeless overworked mother downtown and charged her with a crime and threatened her with prison.

It's like you don't even understand the point of the school to prison pipe line geez.