Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

xov posted:

What's the general opinion of Kasich 'round these parts?
Despite being on the wrong faction, something about him seems almost okay to me.

His platform isn't meaningfully different than any other conservative ghouls, he just has a deranged okd-time charm to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Seph posted:

So what sort of fundamental obligations does a parent have to their child? I'd argue food, shelter (could be a car, or some sort of encampment, not necessarily a house) and education. If they're failing to provide all three then they're not fit to be a parent IMO. Do you disagree with any of that?

If parents can't feed, house, and school their kids in the richest country in world history, our country has failed them, they have not failed as parents.

jfc

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Tim Whatley posted:

Whatever you do, just don't reveal details of our plans.

Bolton:
https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/1090006346026704896?s=19

"I mean 5,000 troops on the ground when we fire the nuke."

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Schools don't get paid if a student is absent? What the ever loving loving kind of system is that. It's like a profit motive for stuffing schools as full as possible and not give a gently caress about teaching them.

I am not looking forward to interacting with the school system when my children are of age.

The standard formula for state and federal money to districts is based on pupil days.

Fewer pupils or fewer days means less funding.

It really fucks with things in northern areas of the country because schools can't afford to close when you get a blizzard or a cold-pocolypse style event.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
you scratch a certain brand of technocratic liberal and Murray Rothbard's skeletal rictus pops out from beneath the skin, demanding that all state power be redirected to purge society of the Undesirables.

where will they go? who cares! the important thing is that the poor be punished for their crimes in lowering my property values, and occasionally inconveniencing me on my daily commute.

Uncleanly Cleric
Oct 17, 2005

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Look getting placed with some alcoholic pedophile who is friends with several cops would've been vastly better than having to live with parents who loved you even though they were struggling to provide a permanent roof at the time

That... yeah, that's pretty much what I remember the month I was in one.

VitalSigns posted:

If parents can't feed, house, and school their kids in the richest country in world history, our country has failed them, they have not failed as parents.

jfc

Yes, this.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

This is such a big deal

Elections have consequences

https://twitter.com/LindaBRosenthal/status/1089914263634878467

quote:

While the bill has repeatedly passed in the Assembly in recent years, the previously Republican-controlled State Senate had blocked the legislation from getting a vote. On Monday, the bill passed the Democratic-controlled chamber unanimously.

“I have to ask the question, as I explain my vote: What took you so long?” wondered State Sen. Brad Hoylman, the bill’s sponsor, through tears. “The Senate postponed a reckoning and buried this legislation.”
Newly-elected State Senators Alexis Biaggi and Rachel May also gave emotional testimony in support of the bill, sharing that they themselves had been victims of sexual abuse. “The acts of terror that you have endured does not make you less human,” said Sen. Biaggi.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Seph posted:

So what sort of fundamental obligations does a parent have to their child? I'd argue food, shelter (could be a car, or some sort of encampment, not necessarily a house) and education. If they're failing to provide all three then they're not fit to be a parent IMO. Do you disagree with any of that?

Tbh, I think the entire burden is on society and that no person willing to work two jobs should be homeless with their children and if they are that is 100% us as a society failing them.

Uncleanly Cleric posted:

That... yeah, that's pretty much what I remember the month I was in one.

Yes, this.

I'm sorry you went through that poo poo. No one should ever have to again

I wish this was all hyperbole about how bad the foster system is, but it's every bit as bad and usually worse than most people could imagine.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jan 29, 2019

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
surely, surely, we can jail some decency into these Welfare Queens.

right, Seph.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

you scratch a certain brand of technocratic liberal and Murray Rothbard's skeletal rictus pops out from beneath the skin, demanding that all state power be redirected to purge society of the Undesirables.

where will they go? who cares! the important thing is that the poor be punished for their crimes in lowering my property values, and occasionally inconveniencing me on my daily commute.

They need to get a job and support their kids.

Unless the job is sex work, Kamala will jail you for that too, there's a limit to how much you should be allowed to provide for your kids

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

VitalSigns posted:

That was the incredible thing about that speech no one had even bothered to find out why her kids were absent until they took their homeless overworked mother downtown and charged her with a crime and threatened her with prison.

Right. And I'm pretty comfortable going "OK, regardless of party affiliation, gently caress any pol who does business in such a way." I think that's a reasonable minimum these days with what we know in TYOOL 2019 about how poo poo like this goes down for those caught up on the other end of it.

Uncleanly Cleric
Oct 17, 2005

VitalSigns posted:

Unless the job is sex work, Kamala will jail you for that too, there's a limit to how much you should be allowed to provide for your kids

You're only allowed to provide for them with your breasts until they're 2.

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

You dismally untalented little creep!

I'm sorry you went through that poo poo. No one should ever have to again

I wish this was all hyperbole about how bad the foster system is, but it's every bit as bad and usually worse than most people could imagine.

I mean, I knew it wasn't good. But I didn't realize it was that bad.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I am no longer certain whether I am alive or dead.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

CmdrRiker posted:

I mean, I knew it wasn't good. But I didn't realize it was that bad.

I go on a big posting spree about how bad it is every few months when it comes up because it is just so spectacularly, shockingly, and completely unconscionably bad. While there is a public perception that there are some bad placements (homes), the reality is that most foster placements are really bad on a multitude of levels.

idk where society even needs to begin at addressing this other than to literally increase funding for oversight and social workers by at least an order of magnitude.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

VH4Ever posted:

ESPECIALLY for those too broke to afford a proper lawyer. In drat near any city in the US, needing a public defender is as good as not having a lawyer at all. You meet them seconds before the hearing and spend maybe five total minutes with them on average. Read the Taibbi book, it's horrifying. The criminal justice system the poor deal with literally is a hole you fall headlong into and you sometimes don't emerge from it for months or years, innocent or not.

Hey, hey, hey, mind that "proper lawyer" talk. If your only intent was to remind everyone that public defenders are horrifically underfunded and overworked that's fine. But don't imply for a moment in front of me that they aren't real lawyers. The very fact that their caseloads are infinitely long means they see more action than any three firm lawyers put together and they know their poo poo - they just get overwhelmed.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

My favorite part is when their terrible, inhumane opinions come with a side of "D&D/USPol is a hugbox that doesn't welcome differing viewpoints :saddowns:", personally.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Crow Jane posted:

My favorite part is when their terrible, inhumane opinions come with a side of "D&D/USPol is a hugbox that doesn't welcome differing viewpoints :saddowns:", personally.

I almost exclusively post about wildly depressing stuff that generally no one wants to hear and people here have always been remarkably welcoming

Seph
Jul 12, 2004

Please look at this photo every time you support or defend war crimes. Thank you.

surely, surely, we can jail some decency into these Welfare Queens.

right, Seph.

You're really good at coming up with straw men.

My family was a foster family so I have first hand experience with the foster system. Every kid that was a part of our family was 100% better off than they were with their birth parents. We even ended up adopting two of my brothers from the foster system. Some of my foster brothers and sisters came from really lovely homes/situations and that's probably why I have zero tolerance for deadbeat parents, since I've seen first hand how it fucks up kids.

I'll concede that Kamala Harris' specific plan was too heavy handed, and 6 days is too few to charge the parents with any sort of crime. But I do think that there needs to be some sort of punishment if a parent repeatedly fails to give their children the basic necessities even after being offered support by the state.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Seph posted:

My family was a foster family so I have first hand experience with the foster system. Every kid that was a part of our family was 100% better off than they were with their birth parents. We even ended up adopting two of my brothers from the foster system. Some of my foster brothers and sisters came from really lovely homes/situations and that's probably why I have zero tolerance for deadbeat parents, since I've seen first hand how it fucks up kids.

I'll concede that Kamala Harris' specific plan was too heavy handed, and 6 days is too few to charge the parents with any sort of crime. But I do think that there needs to be some sort of punishment if a parent repeatedly fails to give their children the basic necessities even after being offered support by the state.

"i was beaten as a child and i turned out just fine"

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Seph posted:

Nobody here is arguing that there are no parents who should have their kids taken from them. The explicit point is that the way Harris was approaching the situation (that is, charging someone and then dropping the charges instead of only bringing the charges if they were absolute necessary) was hosed up and isn't defensible.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1090027773308092417?s=19

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Seph posted:

oh man well your good experience means this mountain of bad experiences and constant studies showing what a terrible revolving door for abusers, kid rapists, and general sociopaths to get access to kids, aren't real

If a child doesn't have the basic necessities then that's a government failing, often times the 'offers' are too small or come with too many hoops to jump and all

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
The fact that we accept Mumbai levels of homelessness in a city like Los Angeles when Utah found that providing free housing for people actually reduced the state's expenses makes me sick. I mean there are tent cities on overpasses nowadays.

Truth is, it isn't about THE BUDGET, it's some sort of sick desire to punish people who can't earn sufficient money to afford to live here.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Seph posted:

Who does this help? Imagine even the worst case deadbeat jerkoff of a parent. How does jail help? Does it make the parent better? Does it really help the kid? Or is it just punishing someone for the hell of it?

Now imagine the people who have to go through the trouble of being charged with a crime that they have no realistic way of avoiding.

Seph
Jul 12, 2004

Please look at this photo every time you support or defend war crimes. Thank you.

I go on a big posting spree about how bad it is every few months when it comes up because it is just so spectacularly, shockingly, and completely unconscionably bad. While there is a public perception that there are some bad placements (homes), the reality is that most foster placements are really bad on a multitude of levels.

idk where society even needs to begin at addressing this other than to literally increase funding for oversight and social workers by at least an order of magnitude.

I can only speak for my personal experience, but my family was a foster home for a while and the other foster families we associated with all were extremely loving and supportive to the foster kids. This was in Austin in the 90's for what it's worth. The social workers did seem incredibly overworked but it didn't really have an impact on our day-to-day life, it was more of a hassle when a kid was joining or leaving our home and we had to deal with the legal system. Of course it's entirely possible that we were in some sort of good-foster-home bubble, but I do know there are lots of good homes out there genuinely helping out kids in need.

Seph fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jan 29, 2019

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

In order to actually care about these specific police officers I need some context

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

SuperKlaus posted:

Hey, hey, hey, mind that "proper lawyer" talk. If your only intent was to remind everyone that public defenders are horrifically underfunded and overworked that's fine. But don't imply for a moment in front of me that they aren't real lawyers. The very fact that their caseloads are infinitely long means they see more action than any three firm lawyers put together and they know their poo poo - they just get overwhelmed.

Oh I'm with you, I meant the former thing, not the latter. A key example is Louisiana, where they basically ran out of money (GOP budget cuts under Jindal) and folks who needed a public defender were simply sitting in jail awaiting trial when one came up to serve them, sometimes after many months of waiting, simply because there weren't enough of them. I'm not religious but God bless the ones still there, still doing the best they can. It's a loving disgrace we (America) let it be that way though. No, I meant the good thing, believe me. The tipoff was that I mentioned the Taibbi book, that's a loving harrowing read. The public defenders there were just exhausted by the whole thing, helpless. Defeated. But still fighting.

https://www.amazon.com/Divide-American-Injustice-Age-Wealth/dp/081299342X

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Reset the clock.

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

You dismally untalented little creep!

Seph posted:

Does that mean a parent that is exhausted from finishing working 2 jobs who ends up trying to fight with their kid about making them go to school and then eventually gives up because they're too exhausted to force/discipline/drive/etc their kid deserves to be punished by the govt?

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
This is like the 3rd week of 5 deaths people shot via mass shooting so that means it's gonna take 6+ to make national news soon.

edit: turns out i missread and the cops aren't dead.

silicone thrills fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jan 29, 2019

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Seph posted:

Confirmation bias is a bitch

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

I almost exclusively post about wildly depressing stuff that generally no one wants to hear and people here have always been remarkably welcoming

Well yeah, you're a good poster. This Seph fella, not so much.

Seph posted:

As a mostly law-abiding white person, my few experiences with cops have been fairly positive. Therefore all cops are good.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Feldegast42 posted:

There's some speculation that its a fakeout / intimidation move from Trump / Bolton because its way too obvious that it was meant to be seen

That is giving Trump and Bolton WAY too much credit.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Seph posted:

The foster program certainly has its flaws, don't get me wrong, but I'd almost certainly say it's better than a homeless mother who isn't looking out for their child. The state should absolutely take every possible measure to help parents get their kids to school, but at some point responsibility has to fall onto the parent. If they are unable or unwilling to get their child to school I think they are unfit to be a parent in general.

As a worker in the foster care system, you have no idea what you’re talking about, are utterly wrong, and should feel bad. Happy to help!

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

silicone thrills posted:

This is like the 3rd week of 5 deaths via mass shooting so that means it's gonna take 6+ to make national news soon.

Cops work on a completely different scale than other people.

Edit: 2 shot cops is the media equivalent of at least 5 civilians. 1 shot cop even if the shooter is tan enough or ESL enough.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Seph posted:

I can only speak for my personal experience, but my family was a foster home for a while and the other foster families we associated with all were extremely loving and supportive to the foster kids. This was in Austin in the 90's for what it's worth. The social workers did seem incredibly overworked but it didn't really have an impact on our day-to-day life, it was more of a hassle when a kid was joining or leaving our home and we had to deal with the legal system. Of course it's entirely possible that we were in some sort of good-foster-home bubble, but I do know there are lots of good homes out there genuinely helping out kids in need.

What's your opinion of Trump putting kids in cages and tents?

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

VideoGameVet posted:

The fact that we accept Mumbai levels of homelessness in a city like Los Angeles when Utah found that providing free housing for people actually reduced the state's expenses makes me sick. I mean there are tent cities on overpasses nowadays.

Utah's system only exists because nobody here actually knows anything about it. And it's best kept that way.

Jayisspecial
Sep 16, 2006

Therock Obama

pumpinglemma posted:

IIRC he’s very good at not saying the quiet part loud while he does horrible things in the background. Check out his record on abortion for a good example.

To expand on this, during his last run there was an article detailing how not only did Ohio put into place some of the most restrictive abortion laws in the country under his watch, but he was the driving figure behind the policies and went above and beyond to get it done. Then, during his presidential run, he painted himself as “the adult in the room” and never brought up any of his extreme positions. He’s a Republican smart enough to put on the act while carrying out his ghoulish objectives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

silicone thrills posted:

This is like the 3rd week of 5 deaths via mass shooting so that means it's gonna take 6+ to make national news soon.

Oh no, this will absolutely blow up because black people got mad about cops killing dozens of unarmed black people and we have to remember that once in a while a cop dies.