Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Seph posted:

I can only speak for my personal experience, but my family was a foster home for a while and the other foster families we associated with all were extremely loving and supportive to the foster kids. This was in Austin in the 90's for what it's worth. The social workers did seem incredibly overworked but it didn't really have an impact on our day-to-day life, it was more of a hassle when a kid was joining our leaving our home and we had to deal with the legal system. Of course it's entirely possible that we were in some sort of good-foster-home bubble, but I do know there are lots of good homes out there genuinely helping out kids in need.

I don't doubt your family likely was very supportive and loving, I mean poo poo they put up with you~

Sorry, sick burns aside, yeah good homes exist and some of the people who I have had the most respect for, who were literally fuckin saints, took in a lot of kids and just gave them the space and resources to be themselves and get through some really tough years. Those exist for sure and the people who pull that off are credits to their community and deserve all the praise in the world. The reality of the rest of it though is you have a fuckton of lovely people who will gladly present themselves as that while being any of 20 different kinds of abusive or lovely to the kids they take while gladly sucking up the praise of their peers for being some selfless foster parent. Like every foster parent is going to try to present themselves as that. Some are, but there are a lot of predatory (or just plain angry assholes) pieces of poo poo who can put on that act.

E: like the ability to put on that exact act and to frame any eventual conflict as 'oh the kid is rebelling against my efforts to instill some authority and basic respect or discipline, I had to call the cops' and eventually 'well the accusations are just retaliatory because I had to get the police involved' and by then the police have already known the kid to have once been involved in trouble (and in cop perspective, thus permanently a troublemaker) and of course no accusations at that point will ever go anywhere.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jan 29, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Confirmation bias is a bitch
Please do not make light of those deeply afflicted by it

Seph posted:

I was going to say this. People absolutely should get paid time off to mourn the death of a close family member, but anything more than 1-2 weeks seems excessive. Plus on a personal level I've found that getting back into the routine of things helps me get past the grief. I can't imagine sitting around doing nothing but feeling sad for 12 weeks after a family member died.
e: Thinking about it, that kind of policy fits right in with the "press charges for the children" thing. Maybe this is Kamala's account?

Bhaal fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jan 29, 2019

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

You dismally untalented little creep!

VH4Ever posted:

What's your opinion of Trump putting kids in cages and tents?

Haha, you smartass.

:stare:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/mollypriddy/status/1090025831039066112

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Jaxyon posted:

Oh no, this will absolutely blow up because black people got mad about cops killing dozens of unarmed black people and we have to remember that once in a while a cop dies.

yea there's no way this won't get at least a good few days of press. Cop lives are worth like, ten regular ones in the media so this was actually a fuckin massacre.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

nerdz posted:

if you mean "Brazil" you're probably right

Speaking of Brazil. Remember when Bolsonaro was talking about letting America lease land for military bases? Seems pretty relevant now...

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

Jaxyon posted:

Oh no, this will absolutely blow up because black people got mad about cops killing dozens of unarmed black people and we have to remember that once in a while a cop dies.

I spent awhile feeling awful after we had a new rookie officer just gunned down recently nearby, there wasn’t much to feel conflicted about, mentally ill white dude, 23 year old officer. Really loving sad actually, all over.

But now my town has a semi permanent shrine to the Thin Blue Line placed in downtown. That just kinda...makes me sad. Every time I see it I just think of a dead young woman and thousands of dead black people in america.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

sexpig by night posted:

yea there's no way this won't get at least a good few days of press. Cop lives are worth like, ten regular ones in the media so this was actually a fuckin massacre.

I did miss speak and they aren't dead yet. I'm super duper hoping that the shooter wasn't someone on the chud hate list though.

Seph
Jul 12, 2004

Please look at this photo every time you support or defend war crimes. Thank you.

VH4Ever posted:

What's your opinion of Trump putting kids in cages and tents?

You're right, wanting parents to send their kids to school is exactly the same as putting kids in cages.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

TheMadMilkman posted:

Huh. Guess I'm gay now.

Toxic/fragile masculinity really is the worst.

Is this one of those "I don't like BJ's because men have mouths too" arguments?

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Don't forget about me!
https://mobile.twitter.com/cnni/status/1090031166709817345

Kale
May 14, 2010

Blind Rasputin posted:

Of course, she folded like a kicked tent

Keeping your word and allowing a thing that normally happens annually to happen, after that one thing you wanted resolved first as a matter of utmost importance was at least temporarily resolved, is folding like a kicked tent now? Again some people and their unique perspectives sometimes.

What exactly do you propose there was to gain politically from not allowing the State of The Union Address to happen as originally planned now that the government won't be shutdown for it? Like what would she and the Democratic house stand to gain by taking that approach and reneging on the terms of the letter denying him access until the government was open and workers were getting paid? If Trump is going to force the government to shutdown the again in a couple weeks that's his problem not hers and that's still his problem either way, but for now at least it's going to be delivered with it open. Frankly basing any house policy decisions around what a hostile president may or may not do in the future is exactly what you don't want to be doing as it gives the impression that he's able to dictate the terms with his behavior and antics. Doing the normal thing as Speaker and allowing the normal thing to happen with only a minor delay shows that he still doesn't hold any real influence here in loving with the norms of the House anymore and is the power move by Pelosi. It's up to him what he chooses to do with the speech now.....

TL;DR: Sorry but unless the definition has changed, following up on the terms of a formal letter after securing your political goal is not folding.

Kale fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jan 29, 2019

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Seph posted:

You're right, wanting parents to send their kids to school is exactly the same as putting kids in cages.

If the mother is a struggling immigrant it essentially is. I'm glad you have realised how terrible and monstrous the concept is and are now 100% against it.

You gently caress

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

sexpig by night posted:

It's really strange how the story is focused on the wounded cops without any context of what they were doing and why. Guess a couple cops were just walking down the street minding their own business and then someone shot them without provocation..

e: Hi, I'm a dumbass and pushed the wrong quote button. Sorry.

CmdrRiker fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jan 29, 2019

Uncleanly Cleric
Oct 17, 2005

Seph posted:

People are exaggerating more and more because you seem to be missing the basic point. Threatening a parent with incarceration because their kid is truant (which, really should not be a criminal offense) is unconscionable. Society should try to assist someone having difficulty in life, not abuse.

VH4Ever posted:

Not much of a difference than yanking "truant" kids away from parents because you deem them unworthy and taking them away from asylum seekers and giving them to "sponsor families" after a nice stay in the cages. Literally not much of a difference at all.

"Why would these parents risk crossing the border? They deserve to lose their kids."

"Why won't these parents just send their kids to school? They deserve to lose their kids."

Fight me.

Edit: Also this!

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Peacoffee posted:

I spent awhile feeling awful after we had a new rookie officer just gunned down recently nearby, there wasn’t much to feel conflicted about, mentally ill white dude, 23 year old officer. Really loving sad actually, all over.

But now my town has a semi permanent shrine to the Thin Blue Line placed in downtown. That just kinda...makes me sad. Every time I see it I just think of a dead young woman and thousands of dead black people in america.

And they keep using that same fancy photo where they're holding the Blue Lives flag like a flying cape.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Seph posted:

Not much of a difference than yanking "truant" kids away from parents because you deem them unworthy and taking them away from asylum seekers and giving them to "sponsor families" after a nice stay in the cages. Literally not much of a difference at all.

"Why would these parents risk crossing the border? They deserve to lose their kids."

"Why won't these parents just send their kids to school? They deserve to lose their kids."

Fight me.

CmdrRiker posted:

Haha, you smartass.

That's me!

QueenAnnesDead
Apr 17, 2016

Let it never be said this administration only paralyzed American foreign service operations, and didn't--just for instance--issue threats to The Hague judges.

"A senior judge has resigned from one of the UN’s international courts in The Hague citing 'shocking' political interference from the White House and Turkey - The German judge, claimed the US had threatened judges after moves were made to examine the conduct of US soldiers in Afghanistan"

https://www.theguardian.com/law/201...stration-turkey

quote:

Christoph Flügge, a German judge, claimed the US had threatened judges after moves were made to examine the conduct of US soldiers in Afghanistan. Turkey’s government had earlier made “baseless” allegations to end the tenure of a Turkish judge sitting on a United Nations court known as the International Residual Mechanism for Criminal Tribunals with the connivance of the UN, he claimed.
Flügge, who had been a permanent judge on the International Criminal Tribunal for the Former Yugoslavia (ICTY) since 2008, told the German newspaper Die Zeit that he had concluded in the wake of the developments that the “diplomatic world” saw no value in an independent judiciary.....

Flügge said the attitude of the US administration to the international criminal court (ICC) in The Hague highlighted the danger.
“If these judges ever interfere in the domestic concerns of the US or investigate an American citizen, (John Bolton) said the American government would do all it could to ensure that these judges would no longer be allowed to travel to the United States – and that they would perhaps even be criminally prosecuted."

“The American security adviser held his speech at a time when The Hague was planning preliminary investigations into American soldiers who had been accused of torturing people in Afghanistan. The American threats against international judges clearly show the new political climate. It is shocking. I had never heard such a threat.”

“It is consistent with the new American line: ‘We are No 1 and we stand above the law,’” he said.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
I'm usually the first to say "shut up, this story is actually front page everywhere" but this shooting is actually nowhere? Fox has it as a minor headline and so does NBC but it isn't on MSNBC, CNN or ABC. Maybe it's just too early and developing.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

sexpig by night posted:

This also explains how they end up perceived as a particularly dangerous career

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Seph posted:

I've seen some heinous non sequiturs in my day but this one is loving majestic.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Nazzadan posted:

I'm usually the first to say "shut up, this story is actually front page everywhere" but this shooting is actually nowhere? Fox has it as a minor headline and so does NBC but it isn't on MSNBC, CNN or ABC. Maybe it's just too developing.

Maybe they are still checking the immigration status of the suspect to see if it's newsworthy.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Seph posted:

So something that hasn't been brought up is truancy poo poo is reported through automated systems that are frequently wrong. So say a kid gets into class 5 minutes late or the teacher just miss marks them as absent. Teacher never corrects it, it gets sent to the front office and then that kid is reported as not in school and if the parent doesn't call in to confirm dr appt or whatever it counts as truant.

Regardless of that, it's extremely traumatizing for a child to be split from their parents which is why the state avoids it as much as humanly possible if the child is in a mostly safe environment. Sending a parent to jail over some poo poo like that is insane. You should be trying to get them into a better situation to avoid truancy in the future, not taking away the kids one constant in life.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

I mean that’s certainly one way to tank super bowl ratings

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Nazzadan posted:

I'm usually the first to say "shut up, this story is actually front page everywhere" but this shooting is actually nowhere? Fox has it as a minor headline and so does NBC but it isn't on MSNBC, CNN or ABC. Maybe it's just too early and developing.

I mean, a wounded cop is definitely worth more than a dead normal person, but a lot less than a dead cop.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
Harris' heavy-handed bullshit is terrible and needs to be fought in the primaries.

I just hope that, if she wins, every single Democrat will vote for her. Ideological purity is not worth another four years of Trump.

QueenAnnesDead
Apr 17, 2016

QueenAnnesDead posted:

Let it never be said this administration only paralyzed American foreign service operations, and didn't--just for instance--issue threats to The Hague judges.

"A senior judge has resigned from one of the UN’s international courts in The Hague citing 'shocking' political interference from the White House and Turkey - The German judge, claimed the US had threatened judges after moves were made to examine the conduct of US soldiers in Afghanistan"

https://www.theguardian.com/law/201...stration-turkey

Should add that this policy is not merely a posture specific to a government, but part of the nation-state's legal structure: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Service-Members%27_Protection_Act

quote:

ASPA authorizes the U.S. president to use "all means necessary and appropriate to bring about the release of any U.S. or allied personnel being detained or imprisoned by, on behalf of, or at the request of the International Criminal Court." This authorization has led the act to be nicknamed the "Hague Invasion Act"...

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Here's a link from my local news

https://komonews.com/news/nation-world/police-chief-several-officers-shot-in-houston-incident

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

Nazzadan posted:

Yeah, it developed from the police department's very nonspecific tweet about how some cops got wounded while responding to a scene so everyone stay away. They are literally not releasing anymore information than that right now. Not even if the people from the scene are also wounded or if there is a gunman at large or anything.

e: I hate cops and this feels like someone controlling a narrative. But yeah, it sucks that some got shot. I have feelings and stuff. And maybe there really is limited information for safety reasons. I don't know. But gently caress cops.

CmdrRiker fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jan 29, 2019

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

CelestialScribe posted:

Harris' heavy-handed bullshit is terrible and needs to be fought in the primaries.

I just hope that, if she wins, every single Democrat will vote for her. Ideological purity is not worth another four years of Trump.

Characterizing condemning Harris for this as "ideological purity" is pretty :chloe:

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Even if you were under the mistaken impression that 90% of foster homes were wonderful, all those wonderful parents are already signed up now, so swelling the ranks by 10x or whatever it takes to re-home every truant kid in America is going to end up in...not that

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Seph posted:

You're really good at coming up with straw men.

My family was a foster family so I have first hand experience with the foster system. Every kid that was a part of our family was 100% better off than they were with their birth parents. We even ended up adopting two of my brothers from the foster system. Some of my foster brothers and sisters came from really lovely homes/situations and that's probably why I have zero tolerance for deadbeat parents, since I've seen first hand how it fucks up kids.

I'll concede that Kamala Harris' specific plan was too heavy handed, and 6 days is too few to charge the parents with any sort of crime. But I do think that there needs to be some sort of punishment if a parent repeatedly fails to give their children the basic necessities even after being offered support by the state.

Listen to her speech. This plan wasn't about the foster system or deadbeat parents. It was about how she wanted to get numbers up at kids attending school in the most authoritarian and mean way possible. That is the mind of an authoritarian. The problem presented was kids need to be in schools. A lot of kids aren't showing up. she will threaten them and their parents with prison time unless the kids show up. The end. Her "plan" wasn't too "heavy handed" it was obscene.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

CelestialScribe posted:

I just hope that, if she wins, every single Democrat will vote for her. Ideological purity The comforting feeling of not having voted for an utter shithead is not worth another four years of Trump.
Fixed that for you. Even though it's true that defeating fascism comes first, it's incredibly annoying when expecting a bare minimum standard of morality gets dismissed as a "purity test", like it's some sort of wonkish thing that no true leftist should care about.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

congratulations to ABC

https://twitter.com/dany_bahar/status/1089977407489089536

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

CmdrRiker posted:

Yeah, it developed from the police department's very nonspecific tweet about how some cops got wounded while responding to a scene so everyone stay away. They are literally not releasing anymore information than that right now. Not even if the people from the scene are also wounded or if there is a gunman at large or anything.

Possibly because the gunman may be a cop.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

1glitch0 posted:

Listen to her speech. This plan wasn't about the foster system or deadbeat parents. It was about how she wanted to get numbers up at kids attending school in the most authoritarian and mean way possible. That is the mind of an authoritarian. The problem presented was kids need to be in schools. A lot of kids aren't showing up. she will threaten them and their parents with prison time unless the kids show up. The end. Her "plan" wasn't too "heavy handed" it was obscene.

I posted a copy of one of the reports in the other thread. This is to address where things like where elementary school kids were missing more than 10% of the year, and the school wasn't able to make any headway. The AG office was only to give the schools backing, or to hold them accountable. In many cases, by the looks of the reports, the schools were just not caring. If kids didn't show up they just shrugged and moved on. This bill held the schools to releasing truancy reports to find the problems and help them. The whole goal was to get kids in school... and people here are treating it like some evil plot to jail poor people. I also can't find any cases, statistics, or numbers of parents being arrested.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I hope ideological purity won't prevent people from voting for Ivanka Trump to beat President Drumpf

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

pumpinglemma posted:

Fixed that for you. Even though it's true that defeating fascism comes first, it's incredibly annoying when expecting a bare minimum standard of morality gets dismissed as a "purity test", like it's some sort of wonkish thing that no true leftist should care about.

I'm still trying to understand- what made her a shithead?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Hey thread, I'd like to thank everybody hashing out Harris' legislation today, because it really caused me to rethink the overreach of that dumb thing.

Like i'm dense enough to not even consider that one of those kids might have been working to help support the family (and I've had kids sleeping in class because they were up at 2 to help deliver papers or help the family business/sat through the counselors chiding parents and letting them know the DA can send them to jail)

So thank y'all for making me slightly less of an idiot today

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

OhDearGodNo posted:

I posted a copy of one of the reports in the other thread. This is to address where things like where elementary school kids were missing more than 10% of the year, and the school wasn't able to make any headway. The AG office was only to give the schools backing, or to hold them accountable. In many cases, by the looks of the reports, the schools were just not caring. If kids didn't show up they just shrugged and moved on. This bill held the schools to releasing truancy reports to find the problems and help them. The whole goal was to get kids in school... and people here are treating it like some evil plot to jail poor people. I also can't find any cases, statistics, or numbers of parents being arrested.

Ah the school administration was the problem okay then that makes sense--hey wait so the stuff she said about threatening parents was just for kicks?