Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

The Puppy Bowl posted:

I think we all mostly agree that there should be more services to help people combat poverty, homelessness, hunger, and other principal problems that contribute to kids missing school. Still, some people are service resistant. It's one thing when you're talking about homeless people who aren't willing or able to engage with the infrastructure to help them but it's a whole other when we are talking about parents who are responsible for the welfare of children. Am I right in assuming the thread's consensus is that there should be no punishment for truancy of any kind despite the well documented negative outcomes for kids who are perpetually absent?

Striking fear of consequence into “failing” parents does absolutely nothing. Motivating people through fear will not help anyone learn. Boasting about that aspect of your initiatives is very ugly. It’s disdainful, just like having police on high school campus’, and it makes a mockery of the idea that any of this is a method that actually cares about these people.

Even if the program was golden her rhetoric is identifiably authoritarian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

OhDearGodNo posted:

What do you do if the parents don't make the effort for the kids to go to school, if they've had offers of accommodation and refuse to make any attempts for their kid to attend school? What do you do when you've made every attempt to get the kid into school but the parent's just don't bother?

What do you do if you threaten the parent before finding out that they're homeless and probably couldn't receive that call? Well, gotta break some eggs!

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Lol

https://twitter.com/GideonResnick/status/1090047217648496640

He appeals to literally no one

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

OhDearGodNo posted:

What do you do if the parents don't make the effort for the kids to go to school, if they've had offers of accommodation and refuse to make any attempts for their kid to attend school? What do you do when you've made every attempt to get the kid into school but the parent's just don't bother?

Throw them in jail and send the kids to foster care, apparently.

Truly you have solved the issue.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

OhDearGodNo posted:

An AG is there to wave the stick. In the context of what she was saying before, the AG was involved because they had a stick. They had the ability to enforce laws, and by that I don't mean just against parents (I'll get to that in a minute) but also against schools who were not doing anything to find out why.

I think instead of going nuts with hyperbole, I'll just provide you a link:

https://www.cde.ca.gov/ls/ai/tr/

down at the bottom. That's where the incarceration conditions are. Please read it, where it goes through everything else that's attempted and how much of a last resort it is. I mean, for a parent to even be considered- after all previous options are exhausted, there's this caveat:

Even if threatening to jail a homeless woman with two jobs were an outlier, why should I discount it when Harris obviously thought it was so awesome she chose it as an example of what she supports, that says a lot about her

OhDearGodNo posted:

I was dirt poor between 2002-2007, and raised my kids as a single parent in section 8 housing. Many of us in the neighborhood were just trying to get out of a rut, but there were plenty who didn't give a gently caress. I remember one time I was at the bus stop with my next door neighbor to pick up our kids, and the topic of college for them came up. I think I was talking about how I wish Pell grants and such were expanded to all. She stated she didn't care. I asked her why, and she stated that college is for people too lazy to work, and went on to explain that when her boys turned 16, if they wanted to drop out she'd be for it as long as they worked a job.

Point is, I've experienced it. I think you should not be so quick to judge.

"Don't be so quick to judge me, poor people are actually quite poo poo so be quick to judge them instead"

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

On the subject of the impending forever war in Venezuela.

How does a country saction a leader and then divert that wealth to his opposition? Like, how does that work legally? Do we just empty their accounts and rob them?

edit: bit sounded snarkier than I wanted

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Yeah basically he shot down anything major from the Dem platform while also not agreeing with Republican positions either

I really wish the media didn't have to treat this clown seriously, but because he has money we are subjected to this dumb vanity project

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck

WHO THE gently caress IS HIS VOTING BLOC

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

OhDearGodNo posted:

Let me guess your answer: send in the storm troopers?

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Craig K posted:

Himself, and also me if he personally gives me $50,000 to vote for him

Kale
May 14, 2010

1glitch0 posted:

If you're me, there's really are no candidates that are any thing close to a fraction of my political ideals.

That's sort of the vibe I honestly get from the thread regulars at large which is perhaps why the topic of the ideal candidate hasn't come up much. Personally of the candidates that announced Gillibrand seems to be on the right side of the most issues for me in her shift towards the left phase and has the experience and I think backbone to be successful at the job in a way that benefits America to some degree. Not perfect but the name that stands out so far to me.

I'd also tend to agree that of the candidates that have announced that Harris comes across as the most bullish and least desirable with some policies that seem more than a little on the Draconian side. I just don't see the purpose in hammering that point at length, like the tendency of US Politics in general to focus only on the negative and partisan aspects of the ins and outs of Washington daily life has become kind of exhausting to me in the era of Trump. I don't think that makes me stupid, there's just only so much negativity and bitterness I can soak in all at once and that the progressive cause and it's base ought to be about projecting more of a positive and you know...progressive tone. Like here's why you should vote for these things instead of continuing to vote for people like Trump to it's messaging.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Craig K posted:

I think it's the media. They love billionaires and centrism decorum etc.. which this guy oozes.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

President Schultz in 2024: Succession is illegal, but using force to stop it is illegal

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Crabtree posted:

What do you do if you threaten the parent before finding out that they're homeless and probably couldn't receive that call? Well, gotta break some eggs!

WHY DON'T YOU ANSWER YOUR CALLS OR RESPOND TO LETTERS??

"Uh...I don't have a home or a reliable phone?"

JAIL THEM! DEADBEATS.

Centrism.

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat
vote blue no matter who

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Craig K posted:

10%ers who want cuts to medicare and social security and people mad if bernie gets the nomination.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

The gently caress is a ten percenter? are they like the three percenters?

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Man, I'm wondering who put the hit out on Harris. Seems a bit out-of-character and frankly too sophisticated for the people in the Warren campaign. If the rumors Clinton backing Harris are true, it could be Gillibrand trying to kneecap Harris before she takes out Gillibrand's niche.

Then again, could be the Harris campaign themselves - release this now so that it's out there and old news by the time Iowa and New Hampshire hit, so that all anyone remember is that she's the tough on crime candidate.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, let's let google decide who gets into the country or not! Let's let the apple execs who happily say Climate Change destruction of the earth is good for their brand to run efforts on solving our self inflicted extinction problems! Let's just jail people for being poor!

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Is it possible to get zero votes?

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

VH4Ever posted:

Can we really not think of any consequences for it besides "threaten parents with jail?" Like, leave the morality of that aside. Is that really the best we can do? Jesus Christ we're unimaginative and/or just don't give a gently caress.

Would threatening with fees for money they probably don't have be better? You need some kind of negative incentive to motivate the small minority of parents that won't be moved by positive incentives. Most likely the threat alone is enough to get kids to show up more regularly in school. I really can't stress enough how bad it is for kids to miss big chunks of school during the elementary education.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Electric Phantasm posted:

He’ll have quietly left the scene long before any actual election.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Tibalt posted:

Man, I'm wondering who put the hit out on Harris. Seems a bit out-of-character and frankly too sophisticated for the people in the Warren campaign. If the rumors Clinton backing Harris are true, it could be Gillibrand trying to kneecap Harris before she takes out Gillibrand's niche.

Then again, could be the Harris campaign themselves - release this now so that it's out there and old news by the time Iowa and New Hampshire hit, so that all anyone remember is that she's the tough on crime candidate.

*homeless woman gets brought up on bullshit charges and then the DA brags about it*
whoa who put it out the hit on this DA, truly she's the real victim in all this

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747
Maybe Kamala was really into punk bootlegs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeSJ9loxFgI

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Would threatening with fees for money they probably don't have be better? You need some kind of negative incentive to motivate the small minority of parents that won't be moved by positive incentives. Most likely the threat alone is enough to get kids to show up more regularly in school. I really can't stress enough how bad it is for kids to miss big chunks of school during the elementary education.

Why exactly do they need negative incentives? Like this is something you're asserting, but I have a hard time believing that saying "make sure your kid is at school every day (outside of the school nurse sending them home sick) and we'll give you 200$/month (or whatever)" wouldn't make sure that kid's rear end is at school.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Tibalt posted:

God forbid we critique Harris on her political background when she announces she wants run against Trump, must be a coordinated hit!

nah it's cool, lets just run another non-leftist shill with no vision of a better America, here's to 4 more years of trump!

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

VitalSigns posted:

*homeless woman gets brought up on bullshit charges and then the DA brags about it*
whoa who put it out the hit on this DA, truly she's the real victim in all this
Hmm, yes VitalSigns, tell me more about how you uncritically accept social media narratives as forming from the aether with no outside influence in 2019.

While you're at it, let me link you to this GoFundMe for repairing this bridge in Brooklyn.

Enkmar posted:

God forbid we critique Harris on her political background when she announces she wants run against Trump, must be a coordinated hit!

nah it's cool, lets just run another non-leftist shill with no vision of a better America, here's to 4 more years of trump!
Boy, if only there wasn't any widespread influence campaigns in the last 6 years. Must be Crazy Old Tibalt with his conspiracy theory about "social media campaigns" again!

Tibalt fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Jan 29, 2019

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Found a Facebook post from Kamala about her program. Which goes more into the rational behind the program and the procedure

https://www.facebook.com/KamalaHarris/posts/d41d8cd9/154272583197/

quote:

When Michael was in kindergarten, he missed more than 80 days of school. He was not ill and no one from Michael's family ever called to say why he was not attending school.

When I was elected district attorney, I learned that 5,500 students in San Francisco were habitually truant and - shockingly - 44 percent of the truant students were in elementary school. That is when I partnered with the San Francisco Unified School District to combat school truancy. At the time, many asked why the city's chief prosecutor was concerned with the problem of school attendance. The answer was simple, and as our partnership now enters its fourth year, the reason remains the same: a child going without an education is tantamount to a crime.

Despite his young age, Michael's truancy makes him far more likely to be arrested or fall victim to a crime later in life. In San Francisco, over 94 percent of all homicide victims under the age of 25 are high school dropouts. Statewide, two-thirds of prison inmates are high school dropouts.

Combatting truancy is a smart approach to crime prevention. Every fall I send out letters to parents of all SFUSD students informing them that truancy is against the law. During the school year, prosecutors from my office hold mediations with parents and truant students to reinforce this message and urge them to get help to improve their children's attendance. In most cases, attendance improves.

When it does not, my office prosecutes parents in a specialized truancy court we created that combines close court monitoring with tailored family services. To date, I have prosecuted 20 parents of young children for truancy. The penalty for truancy is a fine of up to $2,500 or up to a year of jail.

Our groundbreaking strategy has worked. After Michael's parents did not respond to repeated pleas from the school district to get him in class, my investigators served his parents with criminal complaints. His parents appeared in court and agreed to work to get needed services and get Michael back in school. Michael missed only three days the following school year. He got extra attention from teachers to get on track and one parent has even become a school volunteer.

The majority of parents who have been brought to truancy court have dramatically improved their children's attendance. In the last year alone, truancy among elementary school students declined on average by 20 percent. In this new school year, my office will work closely with school district staff to expand our strategy to include older truant students.

Still not thrilled using punitive measures to alter behavior (even if very few ended up actually being penalized), but I wanted to provide some important context for the conversation/debate

edit: here's an abstract from a UCLA law graduate critiquing Harris's program

https://www.uclalawreview.org/pdf/discourse/62-3.pdf

theblackw0lf fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Jan 29, 2019

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

ZypherIM posted:

Why exactly do they need negative incentives? Like this is something you're asserting, but I have a hard time believing that saying "make sure your kid is at school every day (outside of the school nurse sending them home sick) and we'll give you 200$/month (or whatever)" wouldn't make sure that kid's rear end is at school.

Seriously, positive incentives all the way. Alot of kids already make sure they get their butts to school every day just because it's the only place they consistent nutritious meals.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Tibalt posted:

Hmm, yes VitalSigns, tell me more about how you uncritically accept social media narratives as forming from the aether with no outside influence in 2019.

While you're at it, let me link you to this GoFundMe for repairing this bridge in Brooklyn.

So your position is that the candidate said those things, but we shouldn't care because a copy of the video is on social media
:shepface:

Does this apply to our pussy-grabbing president as well, that's where I saw that video

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

The Puppy Bowl posted:

It's been posted several times already: what if, and I'm just spitballing here, we address the ROOT CAUSES of said problems instead of simply punishing the outcomes of broken policies and bad economics? Address the ways in which these parents were failed by said systems? Or is that too radical an idea?

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!
There's some pretty significant privilege in this thread. "I can afford not to vote for a democratic candidate because we survived four years of trump, we can survive four more."

All that matters is getting someone competent - and a democrat - into office. That's it. Nothing more. That's the end goal.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

OhDearGodNo posted:

It's a good thing the law has no recourse in between asking nicely and prison time, or your argument would be a ridiculous strawman.

If punishment is actually necessary - bearing in mind that most of the issue here is that punishment wasn't necessary, while support very obviously was necessary, but Kamala jumped straight to punishment anyway while counting it as a success story - mandatory parenting classes would be a good place to start, escalating to community service. Provided alongside the necessary support, not instead of it.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

CelestialScribe posted:

There's some pretty significant privilege in this thread. "I can afford not to vote for a democratic candidate because we survived four years of trump, we can survive four more."

All that matters is getting someone competent - and a democrat - into office. That's it. Nothing more. That's the end goal.

If that's the end goal we should probably vet candidates carefully to ensure that the winner of the primary doesn't drive people away from voting for them in the general

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

CelestialScribe posted:

yeah and for that to happen they are going to need to have a good turnout. And that's not going to happen if we try to run NOT TRUMP 2.0 :shepface: . There are more moving parts here than you realize

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Electric Phantasm posted:

In 2008 Rudy spent like $40 million and got about 35 primary votes

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

Anyone who wants to inject more pain into the poor as a motivator can get bent.

Like pain was something that needed to be introduced into the poverty to finally get it motivated...you know...jolt them from the pleasure yacht that is American poverty. Poor peeps gotta get woke on education, and Harris is the one to do it.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Bhaal posted:

The math is different in the general, but that is something like 17 months away.

It is not about ideal candidates it is about the best candidate who can get in. Kamala ain't it. She certainly has a chance of beating Trump but that bar isn't high enough and for as much of a sundowning omnishambles Trump has been, nobody is letting their guard down after '16.

My question is what is the alternative? Ignoring those vids of her speech and moving on without really examining it? Saying it's regrettable as preamble to explaining how you'll rationalize it?

On the pragmatic side, if you don't vet and air problems about your potential candidate then your opponent will gladly do it for you, and add their own spin to start that narrative with. You figured why drag a winner through the mud, get locked in with your party candidate, but then when the election clock is ticking you'll have to account for their past anyway when the other side is digging up the poo poo you preferred to step over. I really don't like to resort to both sides-isms but I think it's arguable that in 2016 both republicans and democrats ended up doing this. If one side does it and the other doesn't, that usually resolves in a predictable way. But when it's both candidates it's sort of a "what if gravity stopped working" sort of scenario.

And on the principled side, it's pretty lovely to acknowledge someone is a garbage person and yet give them a pass because they will replace an even bigger garbage person. Kamala Harris is objectively better than Trump. Congrats, Kamala. But maybe let's not automatically award her with the whitehouse for such a petty achievement. These 4 years of Trump are loving awful but we will be monsters too if during the next 4 years we repeatedly cringe and go, "Well, at least she's not Trump! Remember when...?"

Well yeah that's basically why I brought up how I think the media rushing to argue that she is or should be considered the front runner is getting out way ahead of itself yet again seemingly just for the purposes of generating buzz. Other than that I kind of tend to agree with most of your points, if the result of the election is replacing Trump with someone who the best praise you would be able to offer is that then what's the purpose of voting for that person really?

As I've said before sometimes the way a person un-packages their ideas and opinions makes all the difference in being able to see their points and focuses. Like it's just a balanced argument that states the practical purposes for the opinions being stated and focus on them (don't let the opponent control the big picture narrative on your candidate before you have) and doesn't just come across as wallowing in negativity. You pretty much covered it all really.

CelestialScribe posted:

That sounds a lot like something Mitch McConnell would say for the Republicans.....only in private. :stonk:

Kale fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Jan 29, 2019

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

theblackw0lf posted:

Found a Facebook post from Kamala about her program. Which goes more into the rational behind the program and the procedure

https://www.facebook.com/KamalaHarris/posts/d41d8cd9/154272583197/

Still not thrilled using punitive measures to alter behavior (even if very few ended up actually being penalized), but I wanted to provide some important context for the conversation/debate

edit: here's an abstract from a UCLA law graduate critiquing Harris's program

https://www.uclalawreview.org/pdf/discourse/62-3.pdf

"We only went after a few poor people for being poor" isn't much of a defense, hth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

VitalSigns posted:

So your position is that the candidate said those things, but we shouldn't care because a copy of the video is on social media
:shepface:

Does this apply to our pussy-grabbing president as well, that's where I saw that video
You didn't finish reading my post, huh.

You don't like to "think" about things, huh.