Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

quote:

Go back to getting ratioed on Twitter

lol which one of you is this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Tibalt posted:

You didn't finish reading my post, huh.

You don't like to "think" about things, huh.

I do, that's why I'm baffled that you insist I not think about Kamala Harris' speech and whether someone who brags about charging homeless women for being poor is fit for the presidency, and write it off as a "hit"

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

The right could attack her on policies or history but this is disgusting route to go, I am not surprised

https://mobile.twitter.com/TomiLahren/status/1089961715972722689
https://mobile.twitter.com/JacobAWohl/status/1039352027262812162
https://mobile.twitter.com/Joy_Villa/status/1089728988866437120
https://mobile.twitter.com/MattWalshBlog/status/1090041850336030720
https://mobile.twitter.com/DiamondandSilk/status/1090021980584243200

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Tibalt posted:

Boy, if only there wasn't any widespread influence campaigns in the last 6 years. Must be Crazy Old Tibalt with his conspiracy theory about "social media campaigns" again!

Happy to see we have the Clinton catchall defense already adapted for 2019

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Electric Phantasm posted:

Is it possible to get zero votes?

JEB!

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
I will tell you that so far on social media, that clip is about 50/50 with liberals so I don't think it hurts her that much.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 44 hours!

Enkmar posted:

yeah and for that to happen they are going to need to have a good turnout. And that's not going to happen if we try to run NOT TRUMP 2.0 :shepface: . There are more moving parts here than you realize

Duh.

Are there any polling numbers on whether voters support/disapprove of the truancy policies?

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

Cerebral Bore posted:

"We only went after a few poor people for being poor" isn't much of a defense, hth.

Not defending, providing context.

Personally I'm biased against Harris as I want her to lose the primary (I support Warren or Bernie), but also think it's important in all these conversations we have about candidates we have as much context as possible to make accurate assessments.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

The right could attack her on policies or history but this is disgusting route to go, I am not surprised

It wasn't just the Right doing that, a depressing amount of Bernie twitter was doing it too until his spox told them to knock it off.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Also where is the second video that was transcripted?

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

VitalSigns posted:

I do, that's why I'm baffled that you insist I not think about Kamala Harris' speech and whether someone who brags about charging homeless women for being poor is fit for the presidency, and write it off as a "hit"

How dare you muddy the waters by...using....her own words....which she spoke on her own in a very public speech.....touting her past record in elected office.....at a time like this when she's *checks notes* seeking the highest office we have....

You shill!

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

https://twitter.com/mcwm/status/1090001769265016832

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 44 hours!
I also think it's pretty bullshit how a lot of the posters in this forum tend to view anything less than complete leftism as equal failures.

It's like a religious belief that "all sin is sin no matter what".

Again, not defending Harris.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

ZypherIM posted:

Why exactly do they need negative incentives? Like this is something you're asserting, but I have a hard time believing that saying "make sure your kid is at school every day (outside of the school nurse sending them home sick) and we'll give you 200$/month (or whatever)" wouldn't make sure that kid's rear end is at school.

This is a good point. I guess I was so focused on all the positive programs we have in place I wasn't even thinking about how we should change those programs to make them more effective. Full disclosure, my wife worked in the New York school system for a while in kids homes and while the majority of her lower income families were wonderful there were two in particular that were so selfishly failing their kids despite the resources at their disposal that I can't help but get pissed off about it. Anecdotal evidence like that definitely shouldn't effect my thinking on this stuff but sometimes it does.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Jaxyon posted:

Also where is the second video that was transcripted?

https://twitter.com/WalkerBragman/status/1089974205284798464

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

OhDearGodNo posted:

What do you do if the parents don't make the effort for the kids to go to school, if they've had offers of accommodation and refuse to make any attempts for their kid to attend school? What do you do when you've made every attempt to get the kid into school but the parent's just don't bother?

Not prison for the children and parents.

Maybe focus your time as a politician to develop solutions as why people aren't going to school as opposed to threatening to send them to prison. Most of the time I skipped school as a kid it was because I was either exhausted or I knew i wasn't going to learn anything because all the teachers were drunks or had given up or just didn't give a poo poo. Lots of systematic problems to fix there that I assume have not gotten better, but the cop terrifying kids and giggling about her important letterhead is surely the way to go.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

The Puppy Bowl posted:

This is a good point. I guess I was so focused on all the positive programs we have in place I wasn't even thinking about how we should change those programs to make them more effective. Full disclosure, my wife worked in the New York school system for a while in kids homes and while the majority of her lower income families were wonderful there were two in particular that were so selfishly failing their kids despite the resources at their disposal that I can't help but get pissed off about it. Anecdotal evidence like that definitely shouldn't effect my thinking on this stuff but sometimes it does.

Yeah you're definitely not thinking of it in the way some ITT are. I was always in the more suburban districts myself where truancy is less of a problem, but it's a different story in places like Chicago, Baltimore, etc. Places where real, generational, institutional poverty is a big problem. The system itself is broken.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

And as we all know, it’s when we get a “mean looking dude” in the room that kids will start to get an education.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

CelestialScribe posted:

Duh.

Are there any polling numbers on whether voters support/disapprove of the truancy policies?

You say duh but here you are acting like having a bare minimum of competence and a D next to their name is the only thing that matters in a campaign

The Super-Id
Nov 9, 2005

"You know it's what you really want."

Grimey Drawer
Electing a lovely dem is only going to be marginally better than Trump. We’ll all pat ourselves on the back for being free of the orange clown who has infected all of our minds and constantly spews poo poo, but America’s bloated diseased carcass will lumber along without solving any of the very real issues which we’re facing down the barrel. Maybe with Harris we could get a push for Medicare for all or some other policy capstone which pretty much anyone with a D in front of their name will be pushing for. But how anyone could be excited about her is a little mind boggling to me.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Working as intended.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

1glitch0 posted:

Not prison for the children and parents.

Maybe focus your time as a politician to develop solutions as why people aren't going to school as opposed to threatening to send them to prison. Most of the time I skipped school as a kid it was because I was either exhausted or I knew i wasn't going to learn anything because all the teachers were drunks or had given up or just didn't give a poo poo. Lots of systematic problems to fix there that I assume have not gotten better, but the cop terrifying kids and giggling about her important letterhead is surely the way to go.

There is some irony in Americans being petrified of a "social credit" system getting played up in a foreign country yet failing to understand that an attorney general threatening poor people with jail time for not making their kids go to failing urban schools is not good public policy.

Sounds rather authoritarian to me.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Tibalt posted:

Hmm, yes VitalSigns, tell me more about how you uncritically accept social media narratives as forming from the aether with no outside influence in 2019.

While you're at it, let me link you to this GoFundMe for repairing this bridge in Brooklyn.

Boy, if only there wasn't any widespread influence campaigns in the last 6 years. Must be Crazy Old Tibalt with his conspiracy theory about "social media campaigns" again!

Do the Libs think that Russia put out a hit on Kamala Harris?

Just loving incredible

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 44 hours!

Enkmar posted:

You say duh but here you are acting like having a bare minimum of competence and a D next to their name is the only thing that matters in a campaign

Nope.

The Super-Id posted:

Electing a lovely dem is only going to be marginally better than Trump.

gently caress off with this bullshit.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

kidkissinger posted:

Just loving incredible

I see this all the time on #Resistance Twitter, I did just yesterday. Any "hit" on anyone "mainstream" is someone doing Russia's dirty work for them. It's pathological.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

The Super-Id posted:

Electing a lovely dem is only going to be marginally better than Trump. We’ll all pat ourselves on the back for being free of the orange clown who has infected all of our minds and constantly spews poo poo, but America’s bloated diseased carcass will lumber along without solving any of the very real issues which we’re facing down the barrel. Maybe with Harris we could get a push for Medicare for all or some other policy capstone which pretty much anyone with a D in front of their name will be pushing for. But how anyone could be excited about her is a little mind boggling to me.

just lol if you think a dem winning is a foregone conclusion. Someone must not remember the Bush years

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I am still chortling over Pelosi's "Thank you for your attention to this matter".

That is what a creditor says to someone who is two months behind on his payments. Lol

And I think it might have flown right over Donny's head too

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

CelestialScribe posted:

I also think it's pretty bullshit how a lot of the posters in this forum tend to view anything less than complete leftism as equal failures.

This is silly. Bernie has plenty of "failures". Warren has a bunch more. We're still willing to put up with them because they're the best we can get right now.

Harris isn't anywhere near that. That speech she gave about imprisoning parents is unacceptable -- and that's just starters.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

CelestialScribe posted:

This is not something that is happening outside of your fevered imagination.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Pylons posted:

It wasn't just the Right doing that, a depressing amount of Bernie twitter was doing it too until his spox told them to knock it off.

It was one person and literally everyone who ever publicly campaigned got Bernie called her sexist and racist and told her to delete it.

The Super-Id
Nov 9, 2005

"You know it's what you really want."

Grimey Drawer

CelestialScribe posted:

gently caress off with this bullshit.

Why? It’s true. If we put Bill Clinton in office tomorrow it would not help solve a lot of very serious issues. Just because someone is to the left of Trump does not mean they are going to do something about halting global warming or ending the structural poverty created by capitalism.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

VitalSigns posted:

Even if threatening to jail a homeless woman with two jobs were an outlier, why should I discount it when Harris obviously thought it was so awesome she chose it as an example of what she supports, that says a lot about her

That's a really great point. It's not like this is an attack ad on her. This is what she chose to say, very happily, in a speech. I'm sure some people think it's a good thing, but it's bullshit to pretend it's anything else than what it is. Just judge her for her actions and words. If you like it, then knock yourself out. If you think laughing about threatening kids and parents with jail over missing school is a bad thing then look elsewhere.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

lol which one of you is this

All of us, in spirit.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

The Super-Id posted:

But how anyone could be excited about her is a little mind boggling to me.

A woman of color being president is pretty exciting for a whole lot of people.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

CelestialScribe posted:

It's like a religious belief that "all sin is sin no matter what".

Again, not defending Harris.

The full left argument may well be valid by the time of the primaries.

In 10,000 current political years.

Right now, pax tax:

https://i.imgur.com/r8v9NAI.mp4

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

1glitch0 posted:

That's a really great point. It's not like this is an attack ad on her. This is what she chose to say, very happily, in a speech. I'm sure some people think it's a good thing, but it's bullshit to pretend it's anything else than what it is. Just judge her for her actions and words. If you like it, then knock yourself out. If you think laughing about threatening kids and parents with jail over missing school is a bad thing then look elsewhere.

Like of any possible example, why would you specifically remember and smile at the specific instance where your system completely failed in such a spectacular fashion? Maybe because there were a lot worse examples because at least homeless woman wasn't incarcerated for being too poor!

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

I wouldn't have expected my side to be agreeing with conservatives on the 'parents should have the right to opt their kids out of public school' issue.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

kidkissinger posted:

Just loving incredible

First the Russians hacked Joy Reid's blog to put up a bunch of horrifically homophobic posts, then they deepfaked a video of Harris bragging about charging a homeless woman with truancy, shameless!

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Family Values posted:

I wouldn't have expected my side to be agreeing with conservatives on the 'parents should have the right to opt their kids out of public school' issue.

Let this take cool on the rack before you eat it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Enkmar posted:

Happy to see we have the Clinton catchall defense already adapted for 2019
I guess Clinton's social media campaigns didn't exist either.

I get calling Russiagate the Qanon of the left, but claiming that social media campaigns don't exist is some next level poo poo.

Hey, a speech that has been public knowledge for a while suddenly becomes the subject of conversation immediately in the aftermath of Harris announcing her campaign. Huh, that's funny, Biden's speech from the midterm to Republicans gets an article. Hey, look at that, a bunch of opinion pieces of Warren's wealth tax all within a day of each other. Viewing your news and media consumption through a critical lens doesn't make you a scummy centralist or a pinko leftist, it makes you Not An Idiot. It's the goddamn Shadow Primary people, the entire drat thing is going to be fought in opinion pages and donor dinners, if you want to know what's happening you need to view news media in a critical manner.

Wondering who is bringing attention to Harris' speech isn't a loving endorsement.