Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Themagicalgoat
Oct 5, 2016

VitalSigns posted:

wow ok good luck with that ignore-everything-but-star-power strategy, seems to be working out well in France, Macron hasn't completely burned down Paris yet after all

Who's Macron? Is he some local politician in your county?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

joepinetree posted:

Jesus Christ. Kamala Harris and her stance on truancy was one of the most talked about and contentious issues when she was AG. It was widely covered in California (you know, that tiny invisible state) for years:

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/politics/sdut-truancy-kamala-harris-schools-prisons-report-2015sep18-story.html
https://www.foxnews.com/us/ap-interview-new-calif-ag-breaks-barriers
https://www.foxnews.com/us/california-mom-jailed-for-kids-truancy
https://www.colorlines.com/articles/new-calif-truancy-law-goes-effect
http://articles.latimes.com/2014/mar/10/local/la-me-pc-attorney-general-harris-sponsors-antitruancy-bill-package-20140310
https://www.sfgate.com/education/article/Kamala-Harris-California-s-truancy-crisis-must-5304576.php

How the gently caress can anyone be surprised that it is something that the media and people on the internet jump on when she announces a presidential run to great fanfare? How incredibly stupid do you have to be to think that people discussing one of her most visible issues as AG are part of some orchestrated campaign?

Stop spreading secret Russian lies, you shill.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

lmao what loving "projects" are Howard Schultz from, these people are absolutely vile.

So at what point do we get to burn Silicon Valley to the ground and salt the Earth where it stood?

Themagicalgoat
Oct 5, 2016
How can people disagree that Hillary's emails are an important issue? Republicans have held thousands of hours of hearings about it? Is anyone really surprised that it's come back and is being spammed on all social networks?

I mean, come on. Let's all just get a handle on this.

-This has been your 2016 Glenn Greenwald timetravel interstitial. We now return you to Fun Times for Republican Crimes! Sponsored by Blackwater and The Church of Latter Day Saints!

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Themagicalgoat posted:

You don't understand. The broken internet leftists that post in this forum have only their faith. They want saints, not politicians. And failing to find the holiness they seek in the world, they will create their own martyrs. And then they will praise them when they are safely dead.

This isn't actually a political thread or a political forum, despite the labels. This is about orthodoxy. The heterodox must be purged. Gay space communism now and forever.

There's wanting saints and then there is wanting someone who didn't try to lock up a single mom working two jobs while homeless and loving over trans people and sex workers

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

The Puppy Bowl posted:

I think we all mostly agree that there should be more services to help people combat poverty, homelessness, hunger, and other principal problems that contribute to kids missing school. Still, some people are service resistant.

what. the. gently caress.

You must be someone who had never had to navigate the lovely hellscape of what passes for a "safety net" in this country.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

kidkissinger posted:

The fact that your rat-brain immediately labelled it "hit-piece" and started trying to unearth the conspiracy behind it is hilarious.

Good luck with your meltdown, my dude.

Man you aren't familiar with Tibalt, are you?

Not a troll, but a master of extremely pointed language to prove a point.

And yeah, get a reaction.

KickerOfMice fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jan 29, 2019

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
i hear they've got brain lasers in Cuba, too. official story is that it turned out it was just crickets and people having headaches, but isn't that just what the Russians would want you to think?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Themagicalgoat posted:

How can people disagree that Hillary's emails are an important issue? Republicans have held thousands of hours of hearings about it? Is anyone really surprised that it's come back and is being spammed on all social networks?

-This has been your 2016 Glenn Greenwald timetravel interstitial. We now return you to Fun Times for Republican Crimes! Sponsored by Blackwater and The Church of Latter Day Saints!

I, too, think that breaking up families, imprisoning the parents, and ruining the lives of their children over school truancy is as unimportant as Hillary's emails.

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm
https://twitter.com/johndingell/status/1090056548217425920?s=21

Themagicalgoat
Oct 5, 2016

Herstory Begins Now posted:

There's wanting saints and then there is wanting someone who didn't try to lock up a single mom working two jobs while homeless and loving over trans people and sex workers

Good luck finding that perfect person to run for president. I can't even locate them in theory. But maybe you can.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

1glitch0 posted:

Not prison for the children and parents.

Maybe focus your time as a politician to develop solutions as why people aren't going to school as opposed to threatening to send them to prison. Most of the time I skipped school as a kid it was because I was either exhausted or I knew i wasn't going to learn anything because all the teachers were drunks or had given up or just didn't give a poo poo. Lots of systematic problems to fix there that I assume have not gotten better, but the cop terrifying kids and giggling about her important letterhead is surely the way to go.

I understand however that isn’t answering my question. Again, after all attempts to accommodate addressing while a child is not attending school, after both the school and social services are involved, and the children are still not attending school, what do you do?

For the example in the video, and looking at the law, there was to be multiple meetings between the school and the family before the DAs got involved for that homeless mother. That’s the thing that maybe is missed here. Given that the law on CA’s truancy page states that by the time the courts are involved something like a mother being homeless should have been known.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Family Values posted:

I wouldn't have expected my side to be agreeing with conservatives on the 'parents should have the right to opt their kids out of public school' issue.

This post was reported, and in lieu of putting you on probation, this terrible loving take should instead be relentlessly mocked.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Themagicalgoat posted:

Good luck finding that perfect person to run for president. I can't even locate them in theory. But maybe you can.

No one here is asking for perfection. We're asking for a basic level of humanity at this point.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Themagicalgoat posted:

Look, poor people need to be brutalized! If you can't handle authoritarianism, your standards for politics are just too high.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Majorian posted:

I, too, think that breaking up families, imprisoning the parents, and ruining the lives of their children over school truancy is as unimportant as Hillary's emails.

How many parents were in prisoner for truancy?

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Bless that man, hahahahahaha.

Themagicalgoat
Oct 5, 2016

Majorian posted:

Just to be clear--I think that handling classifed emails is important. I also think that broken window policing is a problem.

I also don't think that anything that a woman of color did in the past is disqualifying as long as they're doing what I generally agree with. Maybe you've got some wonderful candidate you love. I'd vote for Zombie hItler against a Republican. But I would definitely vote for a WoC against almost anyone because of the representative precedent it sets. And if you're worried about Obama not being liberal enough, I've got a solution. NEVER LET REPUBLICANS WIN A NATIONAL ELECTION EVER AGAIN.

It might take 20 years, but eventually we'll stumble on an actual satisfying whatever-you're-looking for. But it ain't gonna happen if you let Republicans have a single inch ever in any arena.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Themagicalgoat posted:

this is just such a perfect encapsulation of the mindset

someone getting existentially depressed that, in a presidential primary, people are suggesting there are candidates with stances they find disqualifying.

because if you treat politics as anything more than a game- as if it's something that actually has life and death consequences, where compromises are ultimately measured in human lives, and where the entire point is trying to find the person who comes closest to approximating your views- that takes all the fun out of it for him

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

friendbot2000 posted:

It doesn't matter at all. Kamala's program was inhumane and grotesque. I am curious to know who is bringing this all up though. There is some impressive shivs being sharpened. Shivs of truth, but still shivs.

lmao good lord

did Hillary pre-clearing the field in 2016 make everyone forget what it's like to run for President?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Themagicalgoat posted:

I also don't think that anything that a woman of color did in the past is disqualifying as long as they're doing what I generally agree with.

In what way does her being a woman of color enter into this conversation?

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Kamala Harris is currently the only Democrat running for President. You are not allowed to say mean things about her!

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread

Majorian posted:

No one here is asking for perfection. We're asking for a basic level of humanity at this point.

She has a D next to her name. Jesus Christ, you people are never satisfied, what more do you want?

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Themagicalgoat posted:

Just to be clear--I think that handling classifed emails is important. I also think that broken window policing is a problem.

I also don't think that anything that a woman of color did in the past is disqualifying as long as they're doing what I generally agree with. Maybe you've got some wonderful candidate you love. I'd vote for Zombie hItler against a Republican. But I would definitely vote for a WoC against almost anyone because of the representative precedent it sets. And if you're worried about Obama not being liberal enough, I've got a solution. NEVER LET REPUBLICANS WIN A NATIONAL ELECTION EVER AGAIN.

pop quiz, what happened the last time you allowed yourself to be compromised into a candidate who stood for nothing, to nobody, on the grounds that giving up on ever actually accomplishing anything constituted Pragmatic Centrism

i seem to recall it didn't go so great

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

ozmunkeh posted:

She has a D next to her name. Jesus Christ, you people are never satisfied, what more do you want?

I can't tell what level of irony we're operating on anymore.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Themagicalgoat posted:

So remind me, how did insisting that every single criticism of Hillary was a nothingburger work out again?

Themagicalgoat posted:

It might take 20 years, but eventually we'll stumble on an actual satisfying whatever-you're-looking for. But it ain't gonna happen if you let Republicans have a single inch ever in any arena.

So remind me, how did the Obama years work out WRT republicans not winning any elections again?

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/WalkerBragman/status/1090056741688131584?s=19
Three padlocks. On her front door.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe

Wistful of Dollars posted:

Bless that man, hahahahahaha.

If I'm right, and I'm pretty sure, lady. That's the lead penciller of "Y the last man."

(Yes I am a giant nerd.)

E- Oh, Dingell. nm!

KickerOfMice fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Jan 29, 2019

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

OhDearGodNo posted:

I understand however that isn’t answering my question. Again, after all attempts to accommodate addressing while a child is not attending school, after both the school and social services are involved, and the children are still not attending school, what do you do?

For the example in the video, and looking at the law, there was to be multiple meetings between the school and the family before the DAs got involved for that homeless mother. That’s the thing that maybe is missed here. Given that the law on CA’s truancy page states that by the time the courts are involved something like a mother being homeless should have been known.

I mean that sure sounds like those meetings weren't very productive. Maybe we could make sure that social services are easily accessible by people that need them when they need them, and not have them jump through a billion hoops to satisfy some neolib concept of fairness.

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread

Lightning Knight posted:

My good dude, this is a feature not a bug.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Lightning Knight posted:

Irony was a mistake and satire doesn't work.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

DrNutt posted:

lmao what loving "projects" are Howard Schultz from, these people are absolutely vile.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bayview_Houses

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Tibalt posted:

Hey, a speech that has been public knowledge for a while suddenly becomes the subject of conversation immediately in the aftermath of Harris announcing her campaign.

Is this really saying "increased scrutiny paid to past statements of person who just launched presidential campaign" is evidence of some kinda social media conspiracy lmao

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

DrNutt posted:

Canarsie Bayview in Brooklyn. Howard Schultz is a FYGMer who shouldn't be trusted but he really did grow up poor.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Is it possible for primary chat to be segregated into that thread? Or are we to have two primary threads, this one being "primary PLUS"?

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

joepinetree posted:

Jesus Christ. Kamala Harris and her stance on truancy was one of the most talked about and contentious issues when she was AG. It was widely covered in California (you know, that tiny invisible state) for years:

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/politics/sdut-truancy-kamala-harris-schools-prisons-report-2015sep18-story.html
https://www.foxnews.com/us/ap-interview-new-calif-ag-breaks-barriers
https://www.foxnews.com/us/california-mom-jailed-for-kids-truancy
https://www.colorlines.com/articles/new-calif-truancy-law-goes-effect
http://articles.latimes.com/2014/mar/10/local/la-me-pc-attorney-general-harris-sponsors-antitruancy-bill-package-20140310
https://www.sfgate.com/education/article/Kamala-Harris-California-s-truancy-crisis-must-5304576.php

How the gently caress can anyone be surprised that it is something that the media and people on the internet jump on when she announces a presidential run to great fanfare? How incredibly stupid do you have to be to think that people discussing one of her most visible issues as AG are part of some orchestrated campaign?

You're just scraping the surface. Any one of her many controversial stances/actions as AG disqualifies her from becoming president, here's a long list compiled:

https://twitter.com/Copmala/status/1085688776381419520

I mean, poo poo i don't even think a bog standard republican AG would try to loving cover for one of his subordinates who created a fraudulent confession. She (and her subordinate) should have been disbarred for that alone. How the hell is she even in discussion for being POTUS.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2015/03/08/justice-honesty-government-prosecutor-column/24611623/

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

I stand corrected but otoh that only makes him even more a piece of poo poo. Kind of like someone in this thread right now :thunk:

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Themagicalgoat posted:

And if you're worried about Obama not being liberal enough, I've got a solution. NEVER LET REPUBLICANS WIN A NATIONAL ELECTION EVER AGAIN.

Okay, but how do you accomplish that?

Here's an idea: run candidates and policies that are more appealing than Republicans -- do that, instead of relying on scolding people into voting for your suck-rear end candidate. If you run candidates who loving suck, then you risk losing to Republicans. That's the entire point of this primary, and any primary that ends up electing a vortex of suck risks losing to the Republicans.

Let's not repeat the same goddamn mistake we made in 2016. Kamala Harris's past actions and refusal to take responsibility for it or to recant it is unacceptable.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe

Lightning Knight posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vmn9asN-8AE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD

OhDearGodNo posted:

How many parents were in prisoner for truancy?
So just so nobody's talking past each other: you're good with the truancy law and good with having a DA/AG press charges for it for leverage?