Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Brofessor Slayton
Jan 1, 2012

Nonviolent J posted:

look up the roast of charlie sheen uncensored

You know, I originally had "and this episode convinced me I'd have no interest in watching one" in that post, but that's a little harsh. If I had heard of them outside of the context of this Simpsons clipshow that had like two jokes in it I probably still wouldn't care.

Kang and Kodos threaten to destroy Earth unless Homer's memories show anything good about his life, then they're convinced to read Maggie's mind instead and see clips of all the celebrities the family has met over the years, which somehow convinces them that they shouldn't destroy our planet. As if any of that is a positive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I bought myself season 1 (and the Blu Ray of Batman The Animated Series) for my birthday. I probably haven't watched these episodes in at least 15 years and they're a lot better than what I remember. I'm guessing my derision stemmed from the fact that I was watching the tail end of the golden and/or silver years when these were on reruns, so they paled in comparison to the new episodes.

mexican willie
Mar 17, 2007

Brofessor Slayton posted:

The episode where there's a roast for Homer, yeah. I've definitely seen that one, and it's as canon as any clipshow.

I had no idea what a celebrity roast was before the episode and have never bothered watching a real one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doUNfU9blOc

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

The Bible posted:

So... Marge and Homer have now canonically murdered people?

According to Simpson’s canon, Bart is a literal motherfucker and that’s how he became a judge

It’s true, look it up

fatal oopsie-daisy
Jul 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
HOLY

FFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKKK

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0sPDlXLVgg

HOLY gently caress

JESUS

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

fatal oopsie-daisy posted:

HOLY

HOLY gently caress

JESUS

Julie Kavner sounds like she’s gonna drop dead in the recording booth.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

HOLY

HOLY gently caress

JESUS

homer imitating the modem sound made me close the entire browser window opened to this thread

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Jesus gently caress she sounds like she prays for the sweet release of death every night, prayers that make her go hoarse

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
i like the person in the comments who assumes that if you don't like it, you don't know what all in the family is

edit: and yeah, kavner's voice dropping in and out, gently caress

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

What if the simpsons were around in the 90s

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

It's not even the first time they spoofed that song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjaS0PjkWiA

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

SeANMcBAY posted:

Julie Kavner sounds like she’s gonna drop dead in the recording booth.

Haha that was 2 years ago she's gotten worse

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

PostNouveau posted:

Haha that was 2 years ago she's gotten worse

Like at this point, recasting wouldn’t be a bad idea. I’m sure there’s someone that can do Marge better than her these days.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i wonder if she sounds like that in real life now or if it's just the strain of trying to do marge's voice?

i mean she's always had that scratchiness (due to some medical condition i understand), and even here you can hear marge's timbre in her natural voice 10 years before the show started:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jcS909RNck&t=30s

but holy gently caress she's barely even intelligible in that all in the family clip

SeANMcBAY posted:

Like at this point, recasting wouldn’t be a bad idea. I’m sure there’s someone that can do Marge better than her these days.

tress macneille can probably do it spot-on

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

God I miss the old epoch
Simpsons weren’t a laughingstock
Julie Kavner still could talk
Those were the days

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Okay, what is this "Homer Votes" option in this new poll (that seemed to show up out of nowhere :tinfoil: ) supposed to be referencing? The one where Sideshow Bob becomes mayor? The one about Prop 24? The one where Kang and Kodos impersonate Bill Clinton and Bob Dole? Cause all of these options are enraging me.

PostNouveau posted:

Haha that was 20 years ago she's gotten worse

yup

fatal oopsie-daisy
Jul 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Mr Interweb posted:

Okay, what is this "Homer Votes" option in this new poll (that seemed to show up out of nowhere :tinfoil: ) supposed to be referencing? The one where Sideshow Bob becomes mayor? The one about Prop 24? The one where Kang and Kodos impersonate Bill Clinton and Bob Dole? Cause all of these options are enraging me.

literally google "Homer Votes"

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

literally google "Homer Votes"

Google brings up Homer Votes 2012 and Homer Votes 2016

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Data Graham posted:

God I miss the old epoch
Those were the days

:perfect:

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Mr Interweb posted:

The one in the OP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xK_Ahtg5CxE

(so 2016)

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

Data Graham posted:

God I miss the old epoch
Those were the days

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

SeANMcBAY posted:

The other voice actors would revolt

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

What would it take to put this show out of its misery?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

marktheando posted:

What would it take to put this show out of its misery?

It becomes unprofitable

Or the voice actors decide they have enough money

Slightly Absurd
Mar 22, 2004

That "Those were the Days" clip is also sad, 'cause you know if it were old Simpsons, the animators would've had a blast doing Homer making the modem sound, but instead we got that sad lazy garbage

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

is the simpsons even on tv still? when do they air new episodes? who watches it??

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

PostNouveau posted:

It becomes unprofitable

Or the voice actors decide they have enough money

Or one of the main cast dies.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

BeefThief posted:

is the simpsons even on tv still? when do they air new episodes? who watches it??

Yes, nobody knows, nobody knows

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
I'm half convinced the whole Nielsen system doesn't really work and no one is watching.

I'd be curious as to what the main demo is--is it older millenials and younger gen xers who grew up with it? I can't imagine kids/teens finding it appealing (plus they don't watch tv).

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The most hosed up thing about the Simpsons is that you can only watch the MOST RECENT season on basic Hulu. Hulu would be worth it for S1-11 alone.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

porfiria posted:

I'm half convinced the whole Nielsen system doesn't really work and no one is watching.

I'd be curious as to what the main demo is--is it older millenials and younger gen xers who grew up with it? I can't imagine kids/teens finding it appealing (plus they don't watch tv).

I’m actually curious about that too. Who is even watching this poo poo?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The same generation that grew up watching the simpsons and believes it to be peak background noise is the same generation too lazy to engage their own children and just buy them smartphones instead of raising them so the answer op is that literally no one is “watching it” even though the TV is always on.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

My Linux Rig posted:

I’m actually curious about that too. Who is even watching this poo poo?

Looking at the current schedule, it's sandwiched between football and Bob's Burgers :shrug:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Other network choices for the 8:00 hour are Dancing with the Stars: Juniors, God Friended me, Sunday Night Football, and Supergirl.

I can't comment on Supergirl, but Sunday nights are dire

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Only elderly people watch broadcast TV. The median age is like 65.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I knew someone that watched mid-2000s Simpsons religiously.

We were playing Guitar Hero 2 one afternoon and he said "Hey don't you think the liberal arts are like a waste of time at college".

So yeah, poor brain-damaged people watch the show.
To this day I still don't know if he realized writers with Liberal Arts degrees helped craft the show.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

bitterandtwisted posted:

Only elderly people watch broadcast TV. The median age is like 65.

I'm pretty sure that's false, old people hate setting up poo poo, so having a cable man come and give them their Fox News for $120 a month is a good deal to them.

I watch broadcast TV because paying for cable is stupid. An antenna is a one time purchase, I've been using the same antenna for 11 or 12 years now, and I'm 38.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Iron Crowned posted:

I'm pretty sure that's false, old people hate setting up poo poo, so having a cable man come and give them their Fox News for $120 a month is a good deal to them.

I watch broadcast TV because paying for cable is stupid. An antenna is a one time purchase, I've been using the same antenna for 11 or 12 years now, and I'm 38.

https://www.adweek.com/tvnewser/heres-the-median-age-of-the-typical-cable-news-viewer/355379
Although I didn't mean to imply old relative to cable, but to streaming and catch-up services. I ain't watching something with ad breaks at a time dictated for me.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

well the one guy who clearly and obviously meant scheduled television with ad breaks by saying "broadcast television" and the one guy revealing he's still using a radio antenna in the year of our lord 2019 while claiming cable's a scam like a loving octogenarian despite apparently not even being 40 years old yet is definitely going to the top of the list of the strangest things i've read today

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
I don’t even own a tv :smug:

(I watch everything from tv to movies on a tiny phone screen to make David Lynch poo poo blood)