Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

https://twitter.com/WalkerBragman/status/1090056741688131584

gently caress this woman and gently caress her campaign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

redneck nazgul posted:

gently caress this woman

i'd really rather not

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Professor Bling posted:

The problem with law enforcement in the united states is this: everything to do with the American idea and heritage of law enforcement and the fact that it was borne of strikebreakers and slave patrols

All cops are bastards and so are prosecutors, not because they -individually- are bad (though the vast majority are) but because the system as it stands is bad and they choose to be a part of it

prosecuters are one of the positions that can unironically change the system from within, such as choosing to prosecute non violent marijuana cases.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Speaking of 2020 candidates, this Howard Schultz guy sure sounds like a winner

https://twitter.com/GuyEndoreKaiser/status/1089775251683078144

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

prosecuters are one of the positions that can unironically change the system from within, such as choosing to prosecute non violent marijuana cases.

Which makes it all the more telling when they lean into broken windows nonsense instead of pursuing large-scale white collar crime.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Which makes it all the more telling when they lean into broken windows nonsense instead of pursuing large-scale white collar crime.

a great way of pursuing large scale white collar crime is by prosecuting unsignaled lane changes though

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Terrifying Effigies posted:

Lol marketing people loving suck.so this is a +1 in the right direction

Reign Of Pain
May 1, 2005

Nap Ghost

Professor Bling posted:

The problem with law enforcement in the united states is this: everything to do with the American idea and heritage of law enforcement and the fact that it was borne of strikebreakers and slave patrols

All cops are bastards and so are prosecutors, not because they -individually- are bad (though the vast majority are) but because the system as it stands is bad and they choose to be a part of it

I thought that the dirty pommies or maybe the romans created pigs so the bloody yanks just copied and also the pinkertons weren't cops(officially) sooooo.....

also from tyhe 'blessed' thread

e: Dirty Donny cost the US economy 11 billion, just fyi

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

this dude is definitely a plant by some right-wing think tank group

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
So who are the options so far? Got Gabbard the psycho, Harris the horrible prosecutor, probably fuckin' Hillary, Bernie and Uncle Joe so fuckin' old they fart cobwebs, and the the CEO of starbucks who I know absolutely nothing about? That the lineup so far?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

not caring here posted:

So who are the options so far? Got Gabbard the psycho, Harris the horrible prosecutor, probably fuckin' Hillary, Bernie and Uncle Joe so fuckin' old they fart cobwebs, and the the CEO of starbucks who I know absolutely nothing about? That the lineup so far?

Warren is making a serious go at it and wants to implement a tax on assets over 50 million

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Elizabeth Warren, who is probably only there to push the discourse slightly more to the left. Already dead because she engaged the DNA test controversy.

Kirsten Gillibrand, who has the best weather-vane sense of where the Democratic party is going. Seen as a saboteur because she called for Franken to resign in the wake of his sexual harassment allegations.

Cory Booker, who is currently campaigning at an investment firm or charter school near you.

Also, Vermin Supreme, who wants to give everyone free dental care and a pony.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

FAUXTON posted:

Warren is making a serious go at it and wants to implement a tax on assets over 50 million

If that happens it may without exaggeration be the most serious policy change in the last half a century of American politics. So far the only complaints I've heard about Warren are on personality, her policy positions seem solid.

Going to keep on it because it really is a huge deal, the wealth tax Warren proposed is a serious percentage and immediately plants her far to the left of any other "serious" candidates.

AreWeDrunkYet fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jan 29, 2019

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

not caring here posted:

So far as official declarations go:

Elizabeth Warren
Kamala Harris
Kirsten Gillibrand
Julián Castro
Tulsi Gabbard
John Delaney (Former representative)
Pete Buttigieg (Mayor of South Bend, Indiana)
Andrew Yang (some guy)

As for people who are almost certainly going to run, but haven't announced:

Joe Biden
Bernie Sanders
Cory Booker
Sherrod Brown
Amy Klobuchar

There's a Vox article that goes over the candidates that I pulled these names from. Of everyone, Warren still probably has the best combo of not being old as gently caress, having decent policies, and having people actually know her name, but her political instincts are... questionable. But she's not Clinton, so I don't think she'd have too much trouble beating Trump in 2020 considering how there is so much to run against and that she's got decent policies to run on.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

There's also Julian Castro, who's pretty much a blank slate at this point since his claims to fame are Mayor of San Antonio and HUD Secretary under Obama. On the plus side, he offers the chance for identical twin hijinks with his brother US Rep Joaquin Castro.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

I don’t know what this guy was expecting. It’s highly unethical to be receiving gifts in advertising/marketing. Dinners and lunches are pretty common though.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

What makes taking gifts while working in advertising/marketing more unethical than the practice of advertising/marketing

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Sherrod Brown seems like an ok guy. The main issue there is that during his divorce from his first wife she accused him of being psychologically and physically abusive. She's since walked that back but it's almost certainly going to come up.

Edit: Now this Howard Schultz guy needs to gently caress off.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Fallom posted:

What makes taking gifts while working in advertising/marketing more unethical than the practice of advertising/marketing

Concerns that if a partner were to fly me out to Cannes, take my team out shopping, send over expensive gifts, I’d be inclined to return the favor by spending client money with them.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump...ingawful.com%2F

Reign Of Pain
May 1, 2005

Nap Ghost
Why did Kamala kick her poo poo off at Howard University if she needs the rural red to switch votes from 2016 in order to win?

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

I hate this rear end in a top hat so much.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

IF COLD WHY WARMING HURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR*shits self*

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Reign Of Pain posted:

Why did Kamala kick her poo poo off at Howard University if she needs the rural red to switch votes from 2016 in order to win?

She doesn't?

Part of why Trump won in 2016 was because of depressed turnout in urban areas and increased turnout in rural areas. In Michigan, for instance, Obama won by a comfortable 10 point margin with 2,564,569 votes, but Clinton underperformed Obama by about 200K votes and as a result lost to Trump by a mere 11K votes. A big part of that was lessened turnout from African-American majority cities like Detroit—so starting a campaign by appearing at a historically black college isn't a bad strategy to energize a key demographic.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

quote:

A big part of that was lessened turnout from African-American majority cities like Detroit—so starting a campaign by appearing at a historically black college isn't a bad strategy to energize a key demographic.

Also voter ID laws likely depressed turnout in cities as well.

Reign Of Pain
May 1, 2005

Nap Ghost

Acebuckeye13 posted:

She doesn't?

Part of why Trump won in 2016 was because of depressed turnout in urban areas and increased turnout in rural areas. In Michigan, for instance, Obama won by a comfortable 10 point margin with 2,564,569 votes, but Clinton underperformed Obama by about 200K votes and as a result lost to Trump by a mere 11K votes. A big part of that was lessened turnout from African-American majority cities like Detroit—so starting a campaign by appearing at a historically black college isn't a bad strategy to energize a key demographic.

I hope you're right. I just don't think that she's going to need to energize black voters. Dirty Donny has already done that through his policies. I think that it will just make some people on the fence scared of STRONG BLACK WOMAN.

I think its gonna take Biden to take out Trump. A loud, brash rear end in a top hat is required to take out another loud, brash rear end in a top hat.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

redneck nazgul posted:

Also, Vermin Supreme, who wants to give everyone free dental care and a pony.

Vermin Supreme is your best single social asset.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Acebuckeye13 posted:

So far as official declarations go:

Elizabeth Warren
Kamala Harris
Kirsten Gillibrand
Julián Castro
Tulsi Gabbard
John Delaney (Former representative)
Pete Buttigieg (Mayor of South Bend, Indiana)
Andrew Yang (some guy)

As for people who are almost certainly going to run, but haven't announced:

Joe Biden
Bernie Sanders
Cory Booker
Sherrod Brown
Amy Klobuchar

I just wanna Roll with Duckworth :smith:

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Reign Of Pain posted:

I just don't think that she's going to need to energize black voters. Dirty Donny has already done that through his policies.

You can't take this for granted because people will sleep soundly knowing they picked the option of not voting at all on election day. Also, Trump's approval numbers among black people are disturbingly high.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

MRC48B posted:

same

:smith:

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

MRC48B posted:

She hasn’t stepped up so far; if Warren or Harris stick a foot in their mouth she might have a leg up.

Alright the obligatory Duckworth puns are out of the way, carry on.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

You're not going to energize the Democratic base by putting Trump-but-Blue up there. You need to give people a reason to vote for you beyond "I'm not the other guy" and you do that through policy that people want to vote for.

Hillary ran on a combination of "I'm not Donald Trump" and "Weren't the past eight years good? Don't you want more of that?", and she lost. Part of that is that she's easily the most maligned politician (for just and unjust reasons) since Nixon. Part of that is that she ran a terrible campaign that had no substance and assumed that they had it in the bag and didn't need to fight for every vote.

For the majority of Americans, the eight years under Obama were bad. People aren't going to vote for more of the same if there's someone on the other side of the stage lying their rear end off about how much better things are going to be.

Give people something to vote for, Trump loses, and the Senate might actually be competitive. Put up a dipshit focus grouped centrist and it doesn't matter whether Trump loses or not because 2024 is plenty of time for the GOP to weaponize everything that's been revealed as broken under Trump, put a competent ghoul up there, and take advantage of the fact that dipshit centrist policies are what got us into this mess in the first place.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

FrozenVent posted:

She hasn’t stepped up so far; if Warren or Harris stick a foot in their mouth she might have a leg up.

Alright the obligatory Duckworth puns are out of the way, carry on.

She'd kick Trump's rear end if she had the chance.

Ok now they're done (and I feel like a bit of an rear end in a top hat)

jerman999
Apr 26, 2006

This is a lex imperfecta
https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/1090006346026704896?s=21

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
They... want to invade Columbia? Or use Columbia as a staging are to Venezuela? And they think Columbia is gonna be fine with either?

And we'll just forget that he's carrying a notepad around with that poo poo on it.

I hope that's a photoshop.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
Got an iPhone? Turn off Facetime

https://twitter.com/waxpancake/status/1090042151910526976

Reign Of Pain
May 1, 2005

Nap Ghost

not caring here posted:

They... want to invade Columbia? Or use Columbia as a staging are to Venezuela? And they think Columbia is gonna be fine with either?

And we'll just forget that he's carrying a notepad around with that poo poo on it.

I hope that's a photoshop.

Columbia hasn't had a problem working with the DEA...why would they have a problem with this?

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Columbia is a region in the Pacific Northwest
Colombia is a country in South America

I am pedantic on this as one of the junior intel Os we had would publically ridicule her Marine equivalent who could not spell the country name correctly when we were floating in the Caribbean. It was fun watching JO on JO

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

Reign Of Pain posted:

Columbia hasn't had a problem working with the DEA...why would they have a problem with this?

5000 troops and the logistical train that follows them is not exactly a few dozen agents.

And using them to wage literal war on a neighbor doesn't exactly make for good long term buddies in the area.

But that's just a guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

redneck nazgul posted:

You're not going to energize the Democratic base by putting Trump-but-Blue up there. You need to give people a reason to vote for you beyond "I'm not the other guy" and you do that through policy that people want to vote for.

Hillary ran on a combination of "I'm not Donald Trump" and "Weren't the past eight years good? Don't you want more of that?", and she lost. Part of that is that she's easily the most maligned politician (for just and unjust reasons) since Nixon. Part of that is that she ran a terrible campaign that had no substance and assumed that they had it in the bag and didn't need to fight for every vote.

For the majority of Americans, the eight years under Obama were bad. People aren't going to vote for more of the same if there's someone on the other side of the stage lying their rear end off about how much better things are going to be.

Give people something to vote for, Trump loses, and the Senate might actually be competitive. Put up a dipshit focus grouped centrist and it doesn't matter whether Trump loses or not because 2024 is plenty of time for the GOP to weaponize everything that's been revealed as broken under Trump, put a competent ghoul up there, and take advantage of the fact that dipshit centrist policies are what got us into this mess in the first place.

I disagree! I think that most people don't actually give a rat's rear end about policy, and instead will vote for the candidate that is able to give the simplest, easiest soundbites that appeal to their base desires. Bernie went from an obscure Senator that only political nerds like myself had heard of into one of the most popular politicians in America because he had simple, memorable proposals and soundbites (Medicare for all, free college, "Millionaires and Billionaires") that appealed to people, and contrasted particularly well against Clinton, who ran as Obama's third term but without any of Obama's appeal or charisma. Aside from 'protect Obamacare', none of her policies had any kind of simple or memorable soundbite that could be used to get people excited about them (Can you name any of Clinton's policies, for instance? I doubt you can!), though obviously she was hampered by the media utterly refusing to let the email scandal die. Trump, of course, ran on policies that changed by the day, but that didn't matter because he was the epitome of the Fox News candidate: An arrogant, rich blowhard who never backed down and who promised to stick it to all the people you didn't like in vague and myriad ways. People saw what they wanted to see, and voted accordingly. Personal charisma matters, and matters a lot.

Policy still matters, of course, but where I think it will matter most is in the primary—in a crowded field, candidates will be fighting for both donations and volunteers, and whoever has the policy that most appeals to the base and can vocalize it effectively is going to have a major advantage.