Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
I've been re-reading Dune. I've found Brian Eno's Ambient 4/On Land album to be perfect as background music.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRiNpVslI_c

Temaukel fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jul 3, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

A_Bug_That_Thinks posted:

Adab, apparently, is also a real islamic idea, but refers rather to proper action

You've reminded me that folding space is also a real Islamic idea.

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009

Was reading some of the associated wikipedia articles and the one on keramat says miracles requires a:

quote:

"breaking of the natural order of things" (k̲h̲āriḳ li’l-ʿāda)," 

Looks like Frank lifted the term Harq al-Ada too.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

smh at yet another gbs thread celebrating cultural appropriation

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Doc Hawkins posted:

smh at yet another gbs thread celebrating cultural appropriation

*points to t-shirt that reads "Kull Wahad"*

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Rockopolis posted:

I wonder what Mira Furlan is doing these days?

Getting those bangs trimmed I should hope.

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

rank erbert

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

I hardly know her, Ernie

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

If the movies end up being a hit, watch the SW fanbase claim they knew this all along and that it's an homage and that it "doesn't matter anyway, everybody steals from everybody else" :rolleyes:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

[Dune Thread] [He's not quite sure what to do] [No @Duneauthor Zone]

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
The first few drafts of Star Wars were way, way more obviously taken straight from Dune.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

The first few drafts of Star Wars were way, way more obviously taken straight from Dune.

Any similarity between persons real or fictional and Luke SkyHaderacher (who survives the desert planet with Han Idaho and uses the weirding force to defeat a sadistic Darth Vlader) is purely coincidental.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
I guess the Fremen would be the Freaky Little Hooded Creatures?

Wait, wrong movie

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The Tusken Raiders are more clearly Fremen though.

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
It is quite interesting how radically both Lucas's and Herbert's vision differ. The main guiding theme in the SW series is the romantic hero's journey, and the idea that special individuals shape History. Herbert on the other is very critical of the role a hero plays: The hero myth construct into which certain individuals fit "by fate" often has a destructive influence in human societies.

E: I imagine Herbert being annoyed at the way his "influence" was used.

Temaukel fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Jan 22, 2019

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I mean, all acts of cultural production are appropriative acts.

Except for the acts of Brian and KJA, those are excretory acts.

But gently caress Star Wars, it’s hella poo poo.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Temaukel posted:

It is quite interesting how radically both Lucas's and Herbert's vision differ. The main guiding theme in the SW series is the romantic hero's journey, and the idea that special individuals shape History. Herbert on the other is very critical of the role a hero plays: The hero myth construct into which certain individuals fit "by fate" often have a destructive influence in human societies.

E: I imagine Herbert being annoyed at the way his "influence" was used.

Well, one way is easy and one isn't, imo. That's a big part of why people like Dune but not the next books, because it goes from the generic hero story to a more cynical behind-the-scenes play about the characters' inner lives. It's hard to go from Paul being a great guy to seeing the side of him that cows the galaxy with brute force. Some people like a more straightforward hero story, but Herbert wanted to explore more in detail, which is good since it brings the whole thing to life.

My theory is that Lucas wanted to make a lot of money and saw that a western/hero story set in space was the next frontier for adventure movies. He said many times that he wanted THX* (his baby) to be successful but that he came to see that audiences didn't like depressing subject matter; it wasn't going to make him any money. I think that pissed him off and he set his sights on a crowd pleaser, something that he could wrap up in a neat little package. No loose ends, no ambiguity. Space Jesus versus Space Satan with state-of-the-art special effects, animatronics and full, lavish sets in high Hollywood style.

None of that's objectionable, but the amount of story including major themes, plot twists, the whole topography of a galactic imperium that he straight up lifted really underlines that he's a director but not a world-builder. He didn't really create any of the substrate and the artistic flair was fleshed out by his team of artists, not by him (unless you count his muppets or something).

In short, Lucas revolutionized film making, Herbert revolutionized storytelling.

*Which was a drat good movie imo

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

THX is drat good, Lucas is simply autistic and thin-skinned.

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

"What's this dance called?"

"'Radioactive Flesh.' It's the latest - and the last!"

phasmid posted:

Well, one way is easy and one isn't, imo. That's a big part of why people like Dune but not the next books, because it goes from the generic hero story to a more cynical behind-the-scenes play about the characters' inner lives. It's hard to go from Paul being a great guy to seeing the side of him that cows the galaxy with brute force. Some people like a more straightforward hero story, but Herbert wanted to explore more in detail, which is good since it brings the whole thing to life.

I can never get readers seeing Paul as the great hero in the first book. Even the ending is pretty ominous with all the characters remarking Paul "is like his grandfather."

Movie Dune however...

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Joe Chill posted:

I can never get readers seeing Paul as the great hero in the first book. Even the ending is pretty ominous with all the characters remarking Paul "is like his grandfather."

Movie Dune however...

The bull is Cybetrex!

:ohno:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The scientist dude outright says that a hero is the worst thing that can happen to Arrakis.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Joe Chill posted:

Movie Dune however...

Man, if they turn it into a run-of-the-mill adventure story, it'll breed a whole new crop of fans to disillusion. That's the upshot, I guess.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

phasmid posted:

Man, if they turn it into a run-of-the-mill adventure story, it'll breed a whole new crop of fans to disillusion. That's the upshot, I guess.

Meh.

My exposure to Dune was Dune 2 (PC Game)-> Movie -> Book. I still got it.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Mine was Dune II (game) > part 1 of miniseries > all the books > Lynch film > Dune 2000 game

full circle baby

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
My first exposure to Dune was the Marvel 3 part comic mostly based on the Lynch film, it was pretty great actually.

http://coolpages.tumblr.com/post/54066073112/dune-3-marvel-comics-june-1985-script-ralph

Tripped me out!

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

I've been listening to the (partial cast?) audio book after last reading Dune ~30 years ago. Just at Paul's first night in the desert and his prescience and the exposition attached loving blew me away. He just lays everything out. Like, I know the basic plot beats from here on, but I'm not sure how that's going to fill the last dozen hours audio or how to look at him as he's not the hero on a journey .. just the seed.

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry
My first exposure was the Lynch film when I was like six because my dad is a loving insane person. Love you pops!

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009
I read dune years ago in college, but after reading this thread I watched the Lynch movie *and* listened to the God Emperor of Dune audiobook. I really enjoyed the story, especially how god Emperor is basically entirely exposition on philosophy.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I have a librarian to thank for getting me to read Dune; it changed the way I saw sci-fi because it made me see how different Dune was compared to the Heinlein juveniles that'd got me started reading sci-fi based on the recommendations of the same librarian a few years earlier.
Mind you, it's not as not as if I understood all of the book at the age of 10 when I first read it, but that just meant that I got to discover new things when I re-read it a few times over the next half-a-decade to a decade as I got older. The whole series is still something I'll pick up and re-read from time to time - sometimes reading books 1 through 3, other times just book 4 alone, or books 5 and 6 together. Once in a rare while I even sit down and read the whole hexalogy, and no matter how I read it, it's always a treat.

If I had to make a complete stab in the dark of a guess as to how Frank Herbert would have ended it, I think the threat that the Honored Matres fled from would very likely have turned out to be non-Bene Thleilax-controlled facedancers and either the awakened Duncan Idaho and Sheeana, or their child, would have been involved in some sort of battle against them with Scytale trying to gain control over the facedancers through the cells of both "perfect facedancers" (as they're described) as well as the cells from long-dead characters stored in the nullentropy capsule.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

phasmid posted:

*points to t-shirt that reads "Kull Wahad"*

Did i get this link from this thread at some point? I don't think so, but apologies if so.

Herbert filed the serial numbers off a whole ton of cool stuff to make Dune. Including a 1960 book called The Sabres of Paradise recounting a mid-19th century Islamic holy war against Russian imperialism in the Caucasus.

quote:

Anyone who has obsessed over the mythology of Dune will immediately recognize the language Herbert borrowed from Blanch’s work. Chakobsa, a Caucasian hunting language, becomes the language of a galactic diaspora in Herbert’s universe. Kanly, from a word for blood feud among the Islamic tribes of the Caucasus, signifies a vendetta between Dune’s great spacefaring dynasties. Kindjal, the personal weapon of the region’s Islamic warriors, becomes a knife favored by Herbert’s techno-aristocrats. As Blanch writes, “No Caucasian man was properly dressed without his kindjal.”

Herbert is ecumenical with his borrowing, lifting terminology and rituals from both sides of this obscure Central Asian conflict. When Paul Atreides, Dune’s youthful protagonist, is adopted by a desert tribe whose rituals and feuds bear a marked resemblance to the warrior culture of the Islamic Caucasus, he lives at the exotically named Sietch Tabr. Sietch and tabr are both words for camp borrowed from the Cossacks, the Czarist warrior caste who would become the great Christian antagonists of Shamyl’s Islamic holy warriors.

Herbert also lifted two of Dune’s most memorable lines directly from Blanch. While describing the Caucasians’ fondness for swordplay, Blanch writes, “To kill with the point lacked artistry.” In Dune, this becomes “[k]illing with the tip lacks artistry,” advice given to a young Paul Atreides by a loquacious weapons instructor. A Caucasian proverb recorded by Blanch transforms into a common desert aphorism. “Polish comes from the city, wisdom from the hills,” an apt saying for a mountain people, becomes “Polish comes from the cities, wisdom from the desert” in Dune.

There's a whole bunch more here, including some more names and setting influences
https://lareviewofbooks.org/article/the-secret-history-of-dune/#!

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kindjals or Khanjalis are very neat looking weapons.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

a kitten posted:

Did i get this link from this thread at some point? I don't think so, but apologies if so.

Herbert filed the serial numbers off a whole ton of cool stuff to make Dune. Including a 1960 book called The Sabres of Paradise recounting a mid-19th century Islamic holy war against Russian imperialism in the Caucasus.

There's a whole bunch more here, including some more names and setting influences

Kind of hypocritical of him then to be all up in arms over Star wars.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Johnny Aztec posted:

Kind of hypocritical of him then to be all up in arms over Star wars.

I don't think Herbert ever got up in arms about anything in his life, more like what the article says, "He's not quite sure what to do"

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird

a kitten posted:

A Caucasian proverb recorded by Blanch transforms into a common desert aphorism. “Polish comes from the city, wisdom from the hills,” an apt saying for a mountain people, becomes “Polish comes from the cities, wisdom from the desert” in Dune.
When I first read Dune, that quote stumped me for an embarrassingly long time. Took me actual years to realize it was polish, not :poland:.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

a kitten posted:

If you've read any of his previous books, nothing in Dune is unique or surprising - in his previous books he's used at least one of the things he'd later use in Dune; everything from thinking machines over Bene Gesserit to the "heroes are bad"-thing he's got going - the only new thing that is new to Dune is the dry-earth ecology theme, which has a lot to do with him visiting a dry-earth ecology experiment a few years earlier, if I recall correctly.

Frank Herbert wrote what he knew, and by Dune he'd refined it to such a degree that Dune became what it is.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

D. Ebdrup posted:

If you've read any of his previous books, nothing in Dune is unique or surprising - in his previous books he's used at least one of the things he'd later use in Dune; everything from thinking machines over Bene Gesserit to the "heroes are bad"-thing he's got going - the only new thing that is new to Dune is the dry-earth ecology theme, which has a lot to do with him visiting a dry-earth ecology experiment a few years earlier, if I recall correctly.

Frank Herbert wrote what he knew, and by Dune he'd refined it to such a degree that Dune became what it is.

Actually he did shrooms he found in the woods near the Oregon Dunes hth

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Welp, that explains a lot.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Hey doons i'm looking for goonish robots and remembered LORD CYBERTREX 8000 when I saw this thread was still going

Anybody got some good pics of CYBERTREX or know other bots tangentially related to goons like pusher/shover/support?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1090315507671203840

oscar isaac in talks to play Leto I

would be a better duncan idaho imo