Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

FrumpleOrz posted:

The Lockhorns

The Jets are currently at the top of their division I don't know what his problem is.

F Minus

:lol: That's pretty good.

Macanudo

:lol: again.

Well, it's Mark Trail

Mary Worth

Tiggum posted this with a sneaky edit but I wanted to go ahead and post it to say I am legitimately looking forward to hearing her argument.

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

"He seemed like a good guy when I met him at the airport bar."

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Yvonmukluk posted:

Bad Machinery

So tragic, so Fronch.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Johnny Walker posted:

Well, it's Mark Trail

Wait, there are two characters named Jose in this story? Was it too difficult for Jam to look up a list of Latino names online?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

FrumpleOrz posted:

The Lockhorns

Johnny Walker posted:

The Jets are currently at the top of their division I don't know what his problem is.

Perhaps he worked on the F-35 program and hates to see it get savaged in the press.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Powered Descent posted:

Perhaps he worked on the F-35 program and hates to see it get savaged in the press.
Or he's into Elton John music and can't stand criticism of it.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Maybe he hates the Jets and wants the fact they're doing well to be fake?

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
He is the manager at a Jacuzzi® manufacturing facility that has suffered a recent, well-publicized string of quality control issues.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

He loving hates West Side Story, ever since he wrote to Rita Moreno as a boy and didn't get a response.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Or the comic is about the football Jets.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
It's obviously a typo, he meant to say Jews, not Jets.

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The Princess Planet
March 12th, 2006

March 13th, 2006

March 14th, 2006

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Merdusa. :allears:

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Cheer Up Boss Dharma

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Sally Forth

Skippy (September 12, 1931)

Peanuts (January 31, 1972)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way (December 7-9, 1931)

Thimble Theater (August 23, 1935)

Dok's Dippy Duck (May 28-30, 1923)

And now, as I indirectly promised on New Year's Day, a few more nibbles from the cheese tray that is Them Days Is Gone Forever by Al Posen, bemoaning the rapid-fire, mad, mad world of the early 1920s.

This is an audience participation strip, because the melody line running at the top of the strip matches the "lyrics" in the panel underneath...so far, anyway. If you can read music, go for it. (January 17-18, 1923)

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Jan 29, 2019

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

CannonFodder posted:

Can you or anyone give a link to where they meet back up as adults?

When I wanted some resolution to this whole plotline, I stumbled on a story that starts mid-December 2011 and runs off an on through most of 2012.

It starts with them together, so it's not her next appearance, but it is a good long chunk.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

EasyEW posted:

Dok's Dippy Duck (May 28-30, 1923)

Even though sometimes the references seem a bit impenetrable, this comic continues to enchant me.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Dinette Set doesn't want to believe.

Working Daze is comedically bankrupt.

Super-Fun-Pak Comix holds up a dark mirror.

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

Potsticker posted:

Even though sometimes the references seem a bit impenetrable, this comic continues to enchant me.

The earwigs are the breakout characters of 1923.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Evil Mastermind posted:

Working Daze is comedically bankrupt.

So the joke here is that the company pays for the employees clothing (despite everyone apparently having only one outfit) and the company ran out of money so the employees will have to wear barrels instead of the only outfits they have that apparently never wear out or need laundring because, again, they wear it every day.

Did I get that right?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

EasyEW posted:

And now, as I indirectly promised on New Year's Day, a few more nibbles from the cheese tray that is Them Days Is Gone Forever by Al Posen, bemoaning the rapid-fire, mad, mad world of the early 1920s.

This is an audience participation strip, because the melody line running at the top of the strip matches the "lyrics" in the panel underneath...so far, anyway. If you can read music, go for it. (January 17-18, 1923)

That's clever.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
In case anyone is keeping a tally, count me in as someone who likes A Problem Like Jamal a lot. Surgeon's Tales is also very good, for very different reasons.

Alterian posted:

I gotta be honest. I have no freaking idea what order the Cheer Up Boss Dharma comic panels are suppose to be read in.

Some Guy TT, I made you a present:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Its that arrow between 2/5 and 8 11 that messes you up. That led to me trying to read

1 4 2 5 3 6 7 10 8 11 9 12

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Synthbuttrange posted:

Its that arrow between 2/5 and 8 11 that messes you up. That led to me trying to read

1 4 2 5 3 6 7 10 8 11 9 12

That same powerful logic gave a thread in GBS the name HONK JESUS HONK IF U SAVES IF U LOVE LOVE JESUS JESUS JESUS

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

honk if i can't see you while backing.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
H O N K J E S U S H O N K

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Esplanade posted:

The earwigs are the breakout characters of 1923.

One thing I love about the newspaper comics threads is that there's so much great stuff that wasn't good enough to be immortalized as historically important or turned into a zombie strip that gets posted here.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

BigDave posted:

H O N K J E S U S H O N K

:honked: JESUS :honked:

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3iOMywQqSU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winkerbean

Time for Funky Winkerbean's patented odd attempts to rub up against pop culture and not presenting a joke but rather an incredible facsimile!

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

That same powerful logic gave a thread in GBS the name HONK JESUS HONK IF U SAVES IF U LOVE LOVE JESUS JESUS JESUS

needs two more "JESUS" at the end

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
random Intelligent Life

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Viivi & Wagner

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

SUNDAY
SUNDAY
SUNDAY

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

davidspackage posted:

SUNDAY
SUNDAY
SUNDAY

andsaturday

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Alley Oop

Animal Crackers

The Argyle Sweater

Fred Basset

Frog Applause

Judge Parker

Luann

Mary Worth

Office Hours

Reply All

Rex Morgan MD

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Tiggum posted:

Rex Morgan MD

Soon this joke will be older than the aparent age of the character making it.

Alternatly

I'm glad I'm not the only one who keeps forgetting it's 2019.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
I'm still like 40 pages behind, but I wanted to thank Glorified Scrivener for posting classic Foxtrot. It didn't appear in my local paper until after it had started to decline (the summer camp story with Phoebe and Eileen, whenever that was), but I liked it enough then to buy the collections, and I was shocked by how much better the early stuff was. It was so heartfelt and genuinely funny, and had some more serious storylines that it generally handled so well that they ended up being among the best strips of the entire run rather than cringy "very special episodes." I hate that it eventually devolved into a "Jason does a nerdy thing" daily, but people who only know the strip from its later days are in for a treat. It's like if Big Bang Theory started out as Freaks and Geeks, and it's honestly my favorite '80-'90s strip after Calvin & Hobbes.

Also, for the classic comics people—I would love if someone posted Harvey Kurtzman's Hey Look! The only collection is out of print and hideously expensive, and I figure there has to be someone here who has it, or at least more than what I've been able to find on the internet.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
In today's Corto Maltese: You didn't think that Corto would be the only one searching for this emerald, did you?, or I don't think Faiero has quite understood how Blackshirts function, or Shalom Melchisedec! Good to see you again.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Surgeon's Tales

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Harsh but fair.

Kennel fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Jan 29, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Weeks are defined as a certain number of days, not as a fraction of a year. The planet's movement around the sun has absolutely no bearing on the length of a week. :colbert: