Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Vitamin P posted:

Both are probably cunts so I prefer the one that can theoretically be voted out

the virgin uk vs the virgin eu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

"When I'm in Rio I speak loving Brazilian"

Would love to hear her say one word

I want people like her helicoptered and dropped into the middle of the Atlantic. It'd solve everything all at once.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

That poor puppy

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

It's wild how real the gammon face is.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I have this mental image of that day coming and going without even a real decision about whether they're going to go through with it in any form or not. How possible is that?

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

I literally could understand only half of what the gammon lady was saying, and everything the Brazilian accented people were saying lol.
Speak English indeed.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

You need to do the Majora's Mask DAWN OF THE SECOND DAY. Except with months.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Super Brexit Friends Play

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Grape posted:

You need to do the Majora's Mask DAWN OF THE SECOND DAY. Except with months.

im not sure if that would work

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

SardonicTyrant posted:

Super Brexit Friends Play

I won't play with anyone that voted Brexit, there is only pain, suffering and more suffering.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Super Smash Brexit Ultimate

slumdoge millionare
Feb 17, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

Samurai Sanders posted:

I have this mental image of that day coming and going without even a real decision about whether they're going to go through with it in any form or not. How possible is that?

good news, the only people who have to go through with anything is the EU, and I hear they have some opinions on all this...

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
lol 2 months to go!

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Whole lot of people have WW2 fantasies they just can't wait to live out.

there's been a very weird boomer phenomenon where once you hit 60+ you start speaking fondly about food rationing and 'blitz spirit' as if it was something you lived through, and by god those snowflake millenials could do with a dose of meaningless hardship

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

Pocky In My Pocket posted:

how many days foodshould i look to have in the cupboard come march

You should have lots of seeds for lettuce, tomato, cucumber, peppers, etc and pots of soil

Also buy a rice cooker and one or more of those 10 kg bags of rice. That and as much pasta and canned tomatoes as you have room for. And also pack your freezer completely full with pork, beef, and chicken, if you like those things. Or duck if you want to pursue the bartering route. Buy an extra freezer and fill that too if you're really paranoid.

Candy and dried fruit might also run out, get those, and vitamin tablets.

In any case, stock up on liquor and common medicine.

You have 60 days, whenever you go out to do the groceries, pick up an extra can of vegetables or two and a cheap pack of spaghetti, at least. Even if the Brexit apocalypse doesn't happen, they are not horrible things to have around.

Read Gravity's Rainbow for further advice on growing bananas in London during the Blitz

twoday has issued a correction as of 08:34 on Jan 29, 2019

twoday
May 4, 2005

https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/icar-canned-beef-monument

Read up on the seige of Sarajevo if you want to have a good idea on food shortages in Europe in the recent era. Hard Brexit is effectively self-inflicted seige. The people who survived the seige there said that some of the most valuable supplies in the long run were Toilet paper, cooking oil, and spices.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Water purification tablets will also likely be vital

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

twoday posted:

You should have lots of seeds for lettuce, tomato, cucumber, peppers, etc and pots of soil

Cropping rates on those are awful in the UK apart from tomato unless you've got a greenhouse or poly-tunnel, and that's only any good if we don't get a super hot summer like the last one which wiped out 70% of my yield. I like having farmers on both sides of my family, it's helpful. Go with tomatoes, use growbags and only one or two plants per bag, else when everything gets big in mid-june you'll run the risk of disease.

If you want something hard to gently caress up that is actually awesome and worth it, Pak-Choi. It grows like a loving weed. 4 growbags, you can pull a plant off every 2 days or so if you're careful, and that you can grow in every slot. Beware fungus.

Crop chat.

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
what happens in March?

twoday
May 4, 2005

its not that hard to grow some lettuce in your flat if you get a cheap hydroponic setup:(~£20) and doesn’t take that long either. The concerned letter from yesterday said that 90% of lettuces are imported from the EU. That means that about 4 days after Brexit fresh lettuce will be practically unavailable and anyone who has a little indoor plant growing lamp and some lettuce seeds will be as rich as a lord in bartering terms

https://www.preppersshop.co.uk seems like a good site if you want ideas about how to go totally apeshit with it (which you probably should tbh)

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

freckle posted:

what happens in March?

We all have to collectively punch ourselves in the genitals. We'll name this the Brexit manoeuvre.

twoday
May 4, 2005

freckle posted:

what happens in March?

Brexit is March 29th

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I thought I was in the trump thread

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

twoday posted:

https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/icar-canned-beef-monument

Read up on the seige of Sarajevo if you want to have a good idea on food shortages in Europe in the recent era. Hard Brexit is effectively self-inflicted seige. The people who survived the seige there said that some of the most valuable supplies in the long run were Toilet paper, cooking oil, and spices.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_w87NpNFYnU

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

twoday posted:

its not that hard to grow some lettuce in your flat if you get a cheap hydroponic setup:(~£20) and doesn’t take that long either. The concerned letter from yesterday said that 90% of lettuces are imported from the EU. That means that about 4 days after Brexit fresh lettuce will be practically unavailable and anyone who has a little indoor plant growing lamp and some lettuce seeds will be as rich as a lord in bartering terms

https://www.preppersshop.co.uk seems like a good site if you want ideas about how to go totally apeshit with it (which you probably should tbh)

That will feed you for ~5 seconds, and compared to the amount of power you'll be paying for is silly.

twoday
May 4, 2005

Siege*

twoday
May 4, 2005

Hexyflexy posted:

That will feed you for ~5 seconds, and compared to the amount of power you'll be paying for is silly.

No, it’s useful as a trade good, not as food itself

Lettuce is loving useless as food, I have no idea why it’s as popular as it is

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

freckle posted:

what happens in March?

If nothing changes (i.e. the UK revoking Article 50, a new referendum voting leave, the EU granting an extension etc., all of which are various stages of unlikely or, in the latter case, just move the problem into April or May), the UK will crash out of the EU on March 29 at 11pm GMT, at which point it will automatically revert to WTO rules for trade. Given that the entire UK economy is heavily integrated into the European trade and logistics networks and regulatory frameworks, and because there has been virtually no preparation on the British side for that, this would have very bad consequences for the British economy. Things like medicine and food shortages would be a very real possibility at that point.

If May manages to gather enough support for her deal, then the UK will exit on that day too, but under various provisos that try to make the transition as smooth as possible while negotiations about future trade relations can take place. I dunno how realistic this really is though, as I understand it May's deal would at best mellow the Brexit pains down from "extremely bad" to "pretty bad"

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Samurai Sanders posted:

We don't know. We don't loving know. No one knows

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes

Builds character

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

https://twitter.com/JoLiptrott/status/1089904623312351233

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Love to make myself a second class citizen in my own country to own the euros

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/Peston/status/1090169082677248000?s=19
https://twitter.com/stuartmillar159/status/1090171772190842886?s=19
https://twitter.com/paulwaugh/status/1090136295677014016?s=19

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Managed no deal is a myth because it wiuld take years of planning we haven't bothered to do

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

lmao "managed no deal".

"calm down guys, this is going to be a controlled demolition of the economy"

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

This will be awful. 250000 people who likely won't be able to afford a house, and with lots of Healthcare needs. Also who'll be pissed that their retirement in the sun has been taken away.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

tarbrush posted:

This will be awful. 250000 people who likely won't be able to afford a house, and with lots of Healthcare needs. Also who'll be pissed that their retirement in the sun has been taken away.

The vanishingly rare anti-brexit gammon demographic

Not that that would make a lick of difference, and also I'm sure they're lovely in literally every other way

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

Just remember there will be adequate food, you may not have things like certain vegetables but gruel will still be available.
And don't be afraid to stab and eat your neighbour, some people say human flesh tastes like chicken.

Also, I know it was posted yesterday but that caller to the LBC radio show was just so bad. When he started talking about Brits being travelers and how he only wants to work for ex-colonies I heard the Eddie Izzard "No flag no country" skit. And no way that turd is 35.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Kill every person who wasn't alive in ww2 who says poo poo like this

https://twitter.com/BBCNewsnight/status/1090019939774193664?s=19