Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Pyeongtaek: “Pyeongtaek Super. Global Cluster Pyeongtaek.”

that reads like any Trump tweet, no wonder he connects so well with Koreans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

lmao

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
Source: Department of Redundancy Department

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Peanut Butler posted:

listen buddy call me back when Ulsan graduates from one of Canada's top business colleges with very good grades

I suggested that Kim could improve his country's profile by offering a 99% rebate on the cost of labor in industrial zones just north of the DMZ. Kim wasn't entirely on board - at least until I told him about the catch. To apply for the rebate, the CEOs of participating companies would have to hike to the top of mountain Paektu and then recite memorized, randomly selected passages from Kim Il-Sung's collected works for three days.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Shockingly, a full 97% of survey respondents have taken this survey (margin of error ±5%).

Tobermory
Mar 31, 2011

Aside from the extra rows, the total columns also don't add up. 55 + 338 + 368 + 408 is 1169.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Albino Squirrel posted:

Yeongcheon: “Beautiful Yeongcheon City. Welcome to Yeongcheon. Home of loyalty and filial piety. Yeongcheon is a friendly, affluent, and pleasant hybrid city with features of both urban and rural areas which develops to become the inland base of east-southern parts of Gyeongbuk province.”

Catchy!

think of the interminable seven hour city council meeting that produced this

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Panty Saluter posted:

I wonder how many "melting pot" supporters also want a border wall

They'd probably say something like "a melting pot needs the white ingredients" before quickly correcting themselves and they start talking about how their heritage is full of diversity like german, dutch and french

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Peanut Butler posted:

the town I live in now has a fuckin great flag by comparison, telling the story of how slavers burned the town down but abolitionists just did what they always did after past lesser raids and rebuilt

"From ashes to immortality"

we got a flags thread somewhere or what

That's a good seal, but "seal on a field" is a lazy/bad flag, IMO.

The 99% Invisible guy did a TED Talk (yeah, I know) on city flags, and it's pretty good: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnv5iKB2hl4

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Tobermory posted:

Aside from the extra rows, the total columns also don't add up. 55 + 338 + 368 + 408 is 1169.

nice

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/3rdreviewer/status/840266678076350464

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Peanut Butler posted:

think of the interminable seven hour city council meeting that produced this

Friend, it took weeks for that butterfly to emerge from its civic nonsense cocoon.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

gleebster posted:

That flag is crying out for an exclamation point.

Provo!

Starting to look like a Photoshop Phriday thread.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

The comments of this tweet indicate the OP is well aware of how fallacious this conclusion is and that they were making a point about standardized testing.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

No Safe Word posted:

The 99% Invisible guy did a TED Talk (yeah, I know) on city flags, and it's pretty good: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnv5iKB2hl4

yeah I tend to agree- this ones got a nice color scheme at least, tho, and I'd take it over a Metamucil ad but it's the name of my town. It would be cool if we had a more abstract phoenix from the ashes of the Eldridge Hotel motif in crimson and blue tho, but we kinda don't have an official flag, just the seal (and it varies)

I think it gets a pass locally because our state flag is worse, the 19th century equivalent of the Provo flag (partially owing to the nature of Kansas' founding leading to a paucity of mutually-agreeable symbolism) that I'm p sure Montana also rolls with

If we ever pull a Colorado, I like this redesign idea someone did that takes advantage of the fact that the state is flag-shaped:

really though something that evokes the locally-famous badass mural in the capitol building would be ideal

thank you all for reading the Kansas corner. Did I ever mention I'm from Kansas? Well,

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Peanut Butler posted:

yeah I tend to agree- this ones got a nice color scheme at least, tho, and I'd take it over a Metamucil ad but it's the name of my town. It would be cool if we had a more abstract phoenix from the ashes of the Eldridge Hotel motif in crimson and blue tho, but we kinda don't have an official flag, just the seal (and it varies)

I think it gets a pass locally because our state flag is worse, the 19th century equivalent of the Provo flag (partially owing to the nature of Kansas' founding leading to a paucity of mutually-agreeable symbolism) that I'm p sure Montana also rolls with

If we ever pull a Colorado, I like this redesign idea someone did that takes advantage of the fact that the state is flag-shaped:

really though something that evokes the locally-famous badass mural in the capitol building would be ideal

thank you all for reading the Kansas corner. Did I ever mention I'm from Kansas? Well,

Well, something tells me you're not in Kansas anymore.

Farmdizzle
May 26, 2009

Hagel satan
Grimey Drawer
gently caress I'M FROM YOU

KANSAS

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Well, something tells me you're not in Kansas anymore.

is it because I'm online? we've had internet for decades, the hardest part is merely learning the necessary morse code

Farmdizzle posted:

gently caress I'M FROM YOU

KANSAS

haha yeah I like that one because it works on both levels

Hermsgervørden
Apr 23, 2004
Møøse Trainer

No Safe Word posted:

I did a flag for San Francisco because of this exact talk.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Farmdizzle posted:

gently caress, I'M FROM YOU, KANSAS

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Illinois's flag is just awful.

It's a plain white sheet with the state seal on it and ILLINOIS underneath, and to make matters worse the state seal is also way too busy and features not one but two randomly tacked on bits of text, the dates of Illinois's 50th anniversary as a state (because that's the last time the seal was updated) and a red-on-black banner with the state's motto being barfed up by an eagle. It's legitimately terrible and violates all the principles of good flag design.

If you have to add ILLINOIS to your flag (in 1970!) just so people know what the flag is, it's a bad bad flag.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
That eagle just shat a rock.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

vyelkin posted:

It's a plain white sheet with the state seal on it and ILLINOIS underneath, and to make matters worse the state seal is also way too busy and features not one but two randomly tacked on bits of text, the dates of Illinois's 50th anniversary as a state (because that's the last time the seal was updated) and a red-on-black banner with the state's motto being barfed up by an eagle. It's legitimately terrible and violates all the principles of good flag design.

If you have to add ILLINOIS to your flag (in 1970!) just so people know what the flag is, it's a bad bad flag.

I’ve lived here for four years and never seen this flag because Chicago just uses the city flag everywhere.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Henchman of Santa posted:

I’ve lived here for four years and never seen this flag because Chicago just uses the city flag everywhere.

Kansas City has a flag designed in 2002 (it's not nearly as ubiquitous as the Chicago standard) which is pretty cool for integrating 'fountains' and 'heartland'

There's an official version with text, but this one's more common:

I really like this redesign I stumbled on that evokes the Chicago motif though

but really the best KC flag is the first one, from 1913

A GOOD PLACE TO LIVE

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
More flags should be pennants. Make everyone feel like they won the baseball.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Americans can't flag very well, but they have a couple of cool state mottos. I particularly love the New Hampshire one that sounds like they asked someone's 16-year-old edgelord son to come up with something

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

One of my favorite flag confusion anecdotes is now more than ten years old. During Obama's first year in office, he gave a speech:

Certain elements of the right-wing media looked at this and went nuts.

Bob Grant posted:

I don't know the answer to this one, but what is that flag that Obama's been standing in front of that looks like an American flag, but instead of having the field of 50 stars representing the 50 states, there's a circle? Would someone please tell me what that is? Is the circle --
But really folks, did you notice Obama is not content with just having several American flags, plain old American flags with the 50 states represented by 50 stars? He has the "O" flag. And that's what that "O" is. That's what that "O" is. Just like he did with the plane he was using. He had the flag painted over, and the "O" for Obama. Now, these are symptom -- these things are symptomatic of a person who would like to be a potentate -- a dictator. And I really see this in this man.

The flag in question is the state flag of Ohio. Obama happened to be giving the speech in Toledo.

https://www.mediamatters.org/research/2008/10/16/radio-host-bob-grant-asserted-that-obama-create/145712

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Phlegmish posted:

Americans can't flag very well, but they have a couple of cool state mottos. I particularly love the New Hampshire one that sounds like they asked someone's 16-year-old edgelord son to come up with something
I have told multiple gullible coworkers that New Hampshire's state motto is "Live Free Or Don't." and 100% of them have believed me.

you can use this against any clueless Americans you meet

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

vyelkin posted:

I can't stop laughing at the two dates. I had no idea why there would be two just looking at the flag, but knowing that it's proudly celebrating it's 50th anniversary... for the past 150 years is just too much.

That really is terrible.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I'm the mirrored text.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

HardDiskD posted:

I'm the mirrored text.

This flag was made by the WORDART GANG

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

HardDiskD posted:

I'm the mirrored text.

Quoth Wiki:

Illinois Secretary of State Sharon Tyndale spearheaded the drive to create a third state seal for Illinois. In 1867, he asked State Senator Allen C. Fuller to introduce legislation requiring a new seal, and suggested to Fuller that the words of the state motto be reversed, from "State Sovereignty, National Union", to "National Union, State Sovereignty". However, the bill passed by the legislature on March 7, 1867 kept the original wording. Despite declining his suggestion, the legislature nonetheless entrusted Tyndale with designing the new seal. And Tyndale managed to (literally) twist the legislature's intent; he kept the words in the correct order on the banner, but the banner twists, so the word "Sovereignty" is upside down, arguably making it less readable.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_and_seal_of_Illinois

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Pakled posted:

The comments of this tweet indicate the OP is well aware of how fallacious this conclusion is and that they were making a point about standardized testing.

Yeah I know Matt well and he absolutely was taking the piss with that. Dude's a straight-up genius.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
From a vendor presentation.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Aleph Null posted:

From a vendor presentation.

Neat, it's self-redacting. What is the offending IP address? No one knows...

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Phlegmish posted:

Ours is the Stan Lee-esque Excelsior!

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Peanut Butler posted:

What an incredible image. It looks like the box art from an unsuccessful board game. I love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

It's a classic. They have a full size print of it at Harper's Ferry, where he tried to capture weapons for a slave revolt.