Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
I just used my friends m12 fuel 3/8 ratchet to change the water pump on my xj, it was so awesome. What an incredible tool. We were just laughing, it must be an absolute godsend for mechanics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

FWIW I have the M12 1/4" and it has no problem busting anything loose that isn't a lug nut or brake/suspension related.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

It could be the vehicles I work on but I haven't found anywhere that my M12 Fuel 3/8 wouldn't fit, where my M12 non-fuel 3/8 would. But I have found a lot of bolts where there non-fuel just doesn't have enough power to do much.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

IOwnCalculus posted:

It could be the vehicles I work on but I haven't found anywhere that my M12 Fuel 3/8 wouldn't fit, where my M12 non-fuel 3/8 would. But I have found a lot of bolts where there non-fuel just doesn't have enough power to do much.

Same. I find myself having to turn the non-fuel 3/8 manually so often I usually just opt for a plain ratchet.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Oh didn't realize we were talking about ratchets. I was thinking of my impact.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

IOwnCalculus posted:

Sounds like 3/8” fuel + Astro stubby sockets is probably about the sweet spot, then.

The only bolt I can think of that might be close is the XJ alternator bolts, but if I can spin it most of the way with the battery it’d be an improvement.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

I've got the 1/4" non-fuel and the 3/8" fuel and it's a great combo. I use the 3/8" more, especially since I picked up the 1/4" stubby impact.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

I am disappoint

https://giant.gfycat.com/SlimWindingFawn.webm

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
The itch to get into welding is growing, so I'm looking for what to get as a starter welder. I'm not in the US so it's probably more a question of what to look for in general. I know AvE preaches stick welding, but to be honest I'll probably do smaller stuff and a project car in the future. I have one thing that does need welding and it's a cement mixer with a broken joint, so the cost of a welder would be offset by not having to buy a new cement mixer.
From what I've read a MIG welder is the easiest and cheapest way to get into welding for thinner metals (as I gather stick welding is not suitable for automotive thickness metal). I don't have 3-phase at the moment, but that can easily be sorted (really needs to as well anyway) and I gather there is no real point in not buying a 3-phase welder anyway.

So I guess the question is new or used. Gut feeling says that unless I'm spending tons of cash, a used welder is a much better bang for the buck. Other than these thought I'm pretty clueless to what to look for.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

MrOnBicycle posted:

The itch to get into welding is growing, so I'm looking for what to get as a starter welder. I'm not in the US so it's probably more a question of what to look for in general. I know AvE preaches stick welding, but to be honest I'll probably do smaller stuff and a project car in the future. I have one thing that does need welding and it's a cement mixer with a broken joint, so the cost of a welder would be offset by not having to buy a new cement mixer.
From what I've read a MIG welder is the easiest and cheapest way to get into welding for thinner metals (as I gather stick welding is not suitable for automotive thickness metal). I don't have 3-phase at the moment, but that can easily be sorted (really needs to as well anyway) and I gather there is no real point in not buying a 3-phase welder anyway.

So I guess the question is new or used. Gut feeling says that unless I'm spending tons of cash, a used welder is a much better bang for the buck. Other than these thought I'm pretty clueless to what to look for.

When I was in your shoes, the Hobart 140 is what this thread sold me on. It’s solid, no frills, but predictable and has a longer duty cycle than the cheaper HF wirefeeds.

It’s rated up to 1/4” steel with wirefeed, a little less with gas. It’s been plenty for my little square stock and sheet metal projects.

I figure if I outgrow it, there’s still some value in a welder that I can take pretty much anywhere and run off a regular 120v wall plug.

Don’t forget to budget in a tank of C25 if you want prettier welds. The initial investment is kind of high, but the refills aren’t bad. Tanks expire, so be careful buying used. Matheson/Linweld (maybe lots of places?) will always swap tanks with their stamp regardless of expiration.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

eddiewalker posted:

When I was in your shoes, the Hobart 140 is what this thread sold me on. It’s solid, no frills, but predictable and has a longer duty cycle than the cheaper HF wirefeeds.

It’s rated up to 1/4” steel with wirefeed, a little less with gas. It’s been plenty for my little square stock and sheet metal projects.

I figure if I outgrow it, there’s still some value in a welder that I can take pretty much anywhere and run off a regular 120v wall plug.

Don’t forget to budget in a tank of C25 if you want prettier welds. The initial investment is kind of high, but the refills aren’t bad. Tanks expire, so be careful buying used. Matheson/Linweld (maybe lots of places?) will always swap tanks with their stamp regardless of expiration.

Appreciate it!

Some dude is selling a couple of MIG welders, and one of them is pretty decently in my price range. Has the following specs:

code:
Input Voltage: 230v Single Phase
Minimum Amperage: 30 Amps
Maximum Amperage: 160 Amps
Amperage @ 100% Duty Cycle: 60 Amps (10 min 40C)
Amperage @ 60% Duty Cycle: 70 Amps (10 min 40C)
Amperage @ 20% Duty Cycle: 115 Amps (10 min 40C)
Wire Spool Sizes: 0.7kg - 5kg.
Wire Diameters: 0.6mm, 0.8mm, 1.0mm (with optional feed roller)
Power Settings: 4
Turbo Fan Cooled

...if that's useful. Can do gas or no gas. From the euro welding forums I find it mentioned it has a good reputation. GYS Smartweld 162.
Claims to be able to do 0.8mm - 4mm+

MrOnBicycle fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jan 13, 2019

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
I'd hold off for something that has more wire speed/voltage adjustments. Ideally a linear range with 'infinite' adjustments. As far as I can tell that box has 4 voltage settings.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Also, shouldn't there be an AC / DC selector, for going between steel and aluminum?

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES
I've had my Lincoln 140c for about 10 years now and it performs great for a 110v machine. I picked it since it had infinite adjustments on wirespeed and voltage. It was also a bit cheaper than the equivalent Miller 110 Mig. For thicker than 1/8" you'll most likely have to switch to a fluxcored wire. I would stick with a well known name brand that has good support in your country.

Safety Dance posted:

Also, shouldn't there be an AC / DC selector, for going between steel and aluminum?

You have to switch to straight argon for aluminum and usually use a spool gun with a mig welder. AC is used with Tig welding aluminum.

Sgt Fox
Dec 21, 2004

It's the buzzer I love the most. Makes me feel alive. Makes the V8's dead.

Safety Dance posted:

AC is for welding aluminum with TIG. For MIG you reverse the polarity, usually done by swapping lugs on the main MIG welder case itself.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

NinjaTech posted:

I've had my Lincoln 140c for about 10 years now and it performs great for a 110v machine. I picked it since it had infinite adjustments on wirespeed and voltage. It was also a bit cheaper than the equivalent Miller 110 Mig. For thicker than 1/8" you'll most likely have to switch to a fluxcored wire. I would stick with a well known name brand that has good support in your country.

Sounds good. Looked some more on local forums and they all say the same. Will be sure to find something like an ESAB or Kemppi etc.

FatCow posted:

I'd hold off for something that has more wire speed/voltage adjustments. Ideally a linear range with 'infinite' adjustments. As far as I can tell that box has 4 voltage settings.

Makes sense. I take it that all the "Oh it takes the guesswork out of welding" is mostly marketing and after getting decent enough at welding it'll only be annoying and limiting?

Sgt Fox
Dec 21, 2004

It's the buzzer I love the most. Makes me feel alive. Makes the V8's dead.

MrOnBicycle posted:

Makes sense. I take it that all the "Oh it takes the guesswork out of welding" is mostly marketing and after getting decent enough at welding it'll only be annoying and limiting?

Yeah, being able to adjust the weld a wee bit more for both amperage and wire speed is nice. Most decent welders have infinite adjustments.

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT
Who makes a decent 1/4" socket set these days?
(Preferrably with a spinner)

Useful for an older car...

Something similar to this...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/SK-1-4-inch-drive-15-piece-socket-set-USA/233093192306?hash=item36456fda72:g:C24AAOSwUHBcO7mr:rk:7:pf:0
Maybe I should just buy that...

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Senor P. posted:

Who makes a decent 1/4" socket set these days?
(Preferrably with a spinner)

Useful for an older car...

Something similar to this...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/SK-1-4-inch-drive-15-piece-socket-set-USA/233093192306?hash=item36456fda72:g:C24AAOSwUHBcO7mr:rk:7:pf:0
Maybe I should just buy that...
I prefer flex head ratchets, but other than that, that set looks nice. Buy that. What's with the ellipses?

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT

Krakkles posted:

I prefer flex head ratchets, but other than that, that set looks nice. Buy that. What's with the ellipses?
It's how I type. Like if I am talking and "drift off" towards the end of sentance like I am thinking. That is the easiest way I can describe it.

Oh! I did not think I used it three times. I thought I only used it once, my bad.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

So for my current project of drilling out / hammering out rivets on my truck, my little twin-tank air compressor just doesn't have enough air to get anything done. A bit annoying because the air hammer is pretty much the only air tool I have that demands that kind of air, and technically the compressor is rated to deliver "enough" air, but it has to cycle on within just a few seconds of hammering. Gets toasty hot and spits a ton of water down the hose after a few minutes of this abuse.

Why are horizontal tanks nearly extinct? Ideally I'd stick this under my workbench but it seems like in the 20-30 gallon and around $300 price range, they're all vertical.

I'm looking at this Kobalt primarily. For comparison, the closest horizontal I can seem to find is this Campbell Hausfeld which is smaller, less powerful, and louder.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
I think that Kobalt is just a California Air Tool rebadge or knockoff. There have been some screaming deals on those on Amazon. I have one of their aluminum twin stacks and it's crazy quiet. Unless they've changed suppliers, they're really good.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Given that there's no comparable-spec California Air Tools model, and HF has their own "Ultra Quiet" compressors out there, I'm going with knockoff. Closest they have in specs / price on this is a 10 gallon. Slightly higher CFM rating, though.

Went to the store and measured the boxes for the hell of it (they didn't have any sitting unboxed) - the unit itself is probably 20x20 and drat near 48" tall, so no way is it fitting under my workbench :v: Need to see if I can find room for it. At least with Lowes there's the coupon generator so I can get either $25 or $30 off. Of course then if I'm dealing with vertical anyway, there's always this at HD...

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Ended up getting the Kobalt. Not a bad deal after a $25-off-$250 code. Going to have to run som conduit to put an outlet by the best spot for it, though.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
What're the reasons you can't run the compressor on its side? Aren't they oilless?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Water drain would be a problem off the top of my head, not sure about what else but maybe?

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

slidebite posted:

Water drain would be a problem off the top of my head, not sure about what else but maybe?

Right, that was the only thing I'd be worried about, but easy enough to wheel it out and stand it up to drain, if you can resist the temptation of burying it in poo poo lol.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

sharkytm posted:

I think that Kobalt is just a California Air Tool rebadge or knockoff. There have been some screaming deals on those on Amazon. I have one of their aluminum twin stacks and it's crazy quiet. Unless they've changed suppliers, they're really good.

Those look really tempting. Would a twin, or even a single, be sufficient for topping off tires and running a nail gun (weekend warrior style)?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

always be closing posted:

Right, that was the only thing I'd be worried about, but easy enough to wheel it out and stand it up to drain, if you can resist the temptation of burying it in poo poo lol.

Literally zero probability I could resist that temptation. Also, you'd need to come up with some sort of cradle to support it that way. Running conduit / relocating the air hose reel aren't going to be too hard and it will make it a lot easier to charge the electric start on my pressure washer while I'm at it.

In case anyone is interested, the actual dimensions on the Kobalt are about 19x19x47. I was able to shift my toolboxes down a few inches without ruining anything else, and the cabinet that was where the compressor is now will fit under the workbench.

nitsuga posted:

Those look really tempting. Would a twin, or even a single, be sufficient for topping off tires and running a nail gun (weekend warrior style)?

A lovely little 12V compressor will eventually top off tires, literally anything with a tank can do that easy. I've literally only used a brad nailer for one project but it didn't seem to be particularly air-hungry, not compared to my impact gun / air hammer / blow gun.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

always be closing posted:

You could always just put a new drain in it at the new low point of the tank. Right?

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

nitsuga posted:

They're perfect for that. Mine is basically nailgun/stapler/blow gun duty for in-the-house woodworking projects. I've got an 80 gallon, 5HP C-H in the garage for bigger poo poo. However, it's loud as gently caress, and requires earpro to use. The CAT is quiet enough to have a conversation next to it. Plus, mine is the AL tank model, so it's pretty light.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Cool! Would be nice to not have to do the tire checkups in gas station parking lots. I figure if I go small now I can go big if/when I need it.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Some dude is selling a cheap no-name late 90's table/bench drill press. I'm trying to justify it by coming up with useful situations for car stuff. Can't really think of any. Anyone have any examples where a bench drill press is useful for automotive stuff? I've already got a 12V drill and impact. I've not used a drill press since shop class in school, but I seem to remember it being nice to be able to very precisely drill stuff. Perhaps for rust removal and general cleaning of up of parts?

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

MrOnBicycle posted:

Some dude is selling a cheap no-name late 90's table/bench drill press. I'm trying to justify it by coming up with useful situations for car stuff. Can't really think of any. Anyone have any examples where a bench drill press is useful for automotive stuff? I've already got a 12V drill and impact. I've not used a drill press since shop class in school, but I seem to remember it being nice to be able to very precisely drill stuff. Perhaps for rust removal and general cleaning of up of parts?

I can't offhand think of anything you'd use a drill press for from a general maintenance perspective, if you were fabbing up brackets and mounts it might be handy. I don't think the benefit is so much precision (you should probably be center punching and pre-drilling holes you need precise anyway), as not making holes that are angled one way or the other. I've tried to tap holes I've drilled with a hand drill and realized they're off at some goofy angle, even though the hole started out in the right spot.

I guess you could put a wire wheel in one and use it as a ghetto bench grinder, but the speed probably isn't high enough to compare to a real bench grinder with a wheel.

If it were me, I'd buy it anyway regardless of usefulness, as long as it seems to be in decent shape and functions. More tools = more better. Also, a drill press is something that makes a space look more like a shop, rather than a garage with random poo poo everywhere.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
Whats the threads recommendation for a good soldering station? My crappy Chinese one melted the SMD resolder gun and I'm not about to buy new tips for the crappy iron.
Should I just avoid 'stations' altogether and get a proper iron and separate heat/smd rework gun?

I do like digital temp controls but I'm not married to them.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
TS100 is the new hotness in irons.

I’ve never used one because I have no complaints with the HAKKO FX-888D.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
I have a TS100 but I haven't even used it yet. What are you looking to solder? For just about everything, I love my Metcal MX500; you can usually find these for under $300 used. Best iron I've ever used. At work we mostly have Weller WESD51. They are decent, but I'm partial to the WD1 we also have.

I've never been too impressed by anything Hakko makes, but maybe I walked into that with some prejudice because they look like Windows XP.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Louis Rossmann has some videos on the TS100, it looks pretty good for the money and IIRC he liked it.

I've been looking at soda blasters, mainly for cleaning hard to get to spots on brake calipers, rims, tools and so on but also painted wood (where I don't want any real abrasion). Waste of time or good? Looks good in videos, but there is always some comment about how poo poo it is. Anyone got any experience? I'm not expecting it to remove more than dirt and paint.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Platystemon posted:

TS100 is the new hotness in irons.

I’ve never used one because I have no complaints with the HAKKO FX-888D.

I see what you did there. I like it.

Raluek posted:

I have a TS100 but I haven't even used it yet. What are you looking to solder? For just about everything, I love my Metcal MX500; you can usually find these for under $300 used. Best iron I've ever used. At work we mostly have Weller WESD51. They are decent, but I'm partial to the WD1 we also have.

I've never been too impressed by anything Hakko makes, but maybe I walked into that with some prejudice because they look like Windows XP.

I need to solder pretty much everything that needs soldering; from 10ga wire to surface mount. I've got a bunch of turntables that need restoration which means replacing the impossibly delicate tonearm wires on the pcb. I've got a few electronics projects I need to work on, which means soldering a bunch of SMD's and leds. Same goes for building amps, and making cables. I have a few motorcycle wiring harnesses that need work, etc... and this is just the stuff backed up on my to-do list. Who knows what poo poo will pop-up in the future.

MrOnBicycle posted:

Louis Rossmann has some videos on the TS100, it looks pretty good for the money and IIRC he liked it.

I've been looking at soda blasters, mainly for cleaning hard to get to spots on brake calipers, rims, tools and so on but also painted wood (where I don't want any real abrasion). Waste of time or good? Looks good in videos, but there is always some comment about how poo poo it is. Anyone got any experience? I'm not expecting it to remove more than dirt and paint.

I bought the Harbor Freight one. It's terribly inefficient, and requires constant cleaning, but it works, it's adjustable, and it was drat cheap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
I'd get a nice soldering station like a Hakko. I have a TS100 and it's great as a portable iron or even small electronics use, but for big stuff or a lot of stuff it's going to be cumbersome. I really hate how it doesn't have a stand so you just have to gently put down the 700+ degree tip and try not to let it roll off the table or burn stuff. It heats up really fast and holds heat for small electronics stuff just as well as my Hakko station though. I doubt it would be much use for 10 gauge wire and such--it really only has as much power as the power supply you plug into it, so you'd want a beefy 19V laptop power supply for sure. My Hakko 936 is going on 15 years old now and works great on anything I throw at it. I'm sure the more recent models like the FX-888 are just fine too.