Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

She finally found some decent clothing too. :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Onean posted:

Ehhh. I think it was just alright. From just a pure anime angle it's mostly okay, except the whole bit about Frey comes out of nowhere, which is what I was worried about. They also really smoothed over the expedition, which was expected and isn't inherently bad, except they did it really badly. Now they're just a mercenary band that flakes on a major job and scams their employer for no reason except more money. They might go into more detail next episode, but if they don't that's a really disappointing change that completely changes some characters.

We also lost one of my most favorite set of scenes, but they were minor so that's whatever.

I'd love to detail more on this, but spoilers so it'll have to wait. Agreed on the merc band though yeah. They REALLY shimmed on that one. They also skimmed the Milim's explanation about Hero's and Demon Lords and yeah the Frey thing comes out of nowhere now because of the previous episode which sucks. I'm assuming the scenes you're talking about are the part where Youm bumps into Geld, the honey scene which has Milim bond with Shuna and Shion, and Rimuru in overalls with a bow from Milim.

There was mention in the production interview that the committee that mandated they do more than one volume instead of what the production crew wanted to do which was make the two cour MUCH more detailed and end things with the post Orc Lord events so they had the author on staff to help trim things down and anything else they said they'd add in OVA's or future episodes. I'd actually be ok with special edition Blurays that add the missing scenes in ad that would give Blueray sales a MASSIVE bump as well due to interest in what was changed.

Onean posted:

They're close enough for me. (Something about invertebrates just messes with me, though crabs aren't as bad as most.)

Poil posted:

She finally found some decent clothing too. :toot:

One of her clothing sets in the manga is the overall's outfit the Misty wears in Pokemon.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Not knowing the source material, I felt like things went WAY too fast in this episode. It's the first time I thought that they must be skimping on a lot of background because some of the character motivations don't make much sense.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Yeah skipping more stuff now, but it's not the end of the world.

Harlequin Tear has my full endorsement as a character as she joins Oni-Hime in the extra-long sleeved female character club.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I feel like the show has settled into a formula with the last few episodes and I'm not sure I like it. This one in particular felt a bit light a rushed.

Also, I'm curious why the OP and ED both give us a quick scene with Shizue right at the start. She's dead and gone, and hasn't been mentioned, even through subtext, in quite a while. I'll be disappointed of she just comes back to life later after her harrowing death episode.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

ViggyNash posted:

I feel like the show has settled into a formula with the last few episodes and I'm not sure I like it. This one in particular felt a bit light a rushed.

Also, I'm curious why the OP and ED both give us a quick scene with Shizue right at the start. She's dead and gone, and hasn't been mentioned, even through subtext, in quite a while. I'll be disappointed of she just comes back to life later after her harrowing death episode.

Because hearing her last wish was a critical character moment for Rimuru and Rimuru still carries her form and memory with him at all times?

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Spiritus Nox posted:

Because hearing her last wish was a critical character moment for Rimuru and Rimuru still carries her form and memory with him at all times?

I don't think that's adequate especially since the show by itself never touches on her legacy beyond the couple episodes after her death.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Agronox posted:

Not knowing the source material, I felt like things went WAY too fast in this episode. It's the first time I thought that they must be skimping on a lot of background because some of the character motivations don't make much sense.

Yeah they skipped some stuff in the Demon Lord meeting that would've explained a lot of stuff in this episode. They also skipped a bunch of really good SoL stuff and the explanation behind Youm's group of mercenaries.

Spiritus Nox posted:

She never stops being an important character in some way and there are some MAJOR arcs revolving around her a bit later on.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

ViggyNash posted:

Because multiple season shows can't briefly reference past material, right?

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Kalas posted:

Because multiple season shows can't briefly reference past material, right?

They put it right at the beginning so you're gonna see her even if you intend to skip them. And she's not shown in a throwaway either, both are fairly poignant scenes. And they did it for both the OP and ED.

It's way too intentional to not read into.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Edit: I haven't read any of the source material for this part, but it didn't feel like anything was particularly lacking. A bit more background on Youm would have been good, but it could well be coming down the road and his archetype isn't really one that needs too much explanation anyway. Milim is good and helps give some impulsiveness to the show that the rest of the cast doesn't really have (which is a good thing), except when model of patience Shion gets mad.

Gobta continues to own.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Jan 29, 2019

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Milim was best girl in this episode, though I think I prefer the manga's silent implication when she just sat down after Rimuru threatened her dinner, rather than her just saying "I'll be quiet now".

Her saying it just implies she doesn't take it as seriously.

Also Youm really got shafted, but it kinda makes sense to do.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
So does Milim change her outfit permanently?

Because not going to lie I'm in the episode before she shows up and it'll honestly be a dealbreaker for this series if it sticks around

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
She switches around, because it's fun.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

TheKingofSprings posted:

So does Milim change her outfit permanently?

Because not going to lie I'm in the episode before she shows up and it'll honestly be a dealbreaker for this series if it sticks around

The previous outfit is her default, but when in Tempest, she rotates through a variety of outfits and wardrobes. Ditto for Rimuru which sadly got cut out. A lot of stuff got cut out these last two episodes and I think it's what's led to some review bombings on Reddit.

chumbler posted:

Edit: I haven't read any of the source material for this part, but it didn't feel like anything was particularly lacking. A bit more background on Youm would have been good, but it could well be coming down the road and his archetype isn't really one that needs too much explanation anyway. Milim is good and helps give some impulsiveness to the show that the rest of the cast doesn't really have (which is a good thing), except when model of patience Shion gets mad.

Gobta continues to own.

Normally I'd agree, but a LOT of stuff got cut out about Youm that's gonna hurt the overall narrative like why he's even there in the first place and why Rimuru decides' to pick him to be his "Champion". There were some other things with Milim that also got cut which was a huge shame as well. It's why I tell people to read the source materials.

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Jan 29, 2019

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Who gives a poo poo what reddit thinks.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

chumbler posted:

Who gives a poo poo what reddit thinks.

True, but it does give some gaugue on where the interest for a series is and these last two episodes HAVE been rather weak compared to previous ones.

Edit: MILIM COLLAGE!!! Nothing spoiler, but they're technically from the spin-off.

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Jan 29, 2019

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
Milim was so much better in this episode than in the previous one and had the best moments of the episode. Other than that the episode went quite fast and left me wondering if I'm supposed to care about the new mercs who showed up.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Starsnostars posted:

Milim was so much better in this episode than in the previous one and had the best moments of the episode. Other than that the episode went quite fast and left me wondering if I'm supposed to care about the new mercs who showed up.

It makes more sense to care about them in a medium that moves at a slower pace.

For the anime, all that seems to matter is that Rimuru uses him to gain goodwill with humans.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Starsnostars posted:

Got skipped, but they're basically Slave Knights. Other than the kid mage with the glasses they're ex cons who were put together to scout the Orc Lord since the fief lord of their region of Farmus was greedy dick and pocketed the money that was supposed to go into defense and put this group together last minute. Youm had "Friends on the inside" and caught wind of the whole thing and pressed the glasses mage who was placed in sort of charge to give them the key. So now they're basically AWOL, but Youm decided to at least check up on things to avoid Farmus being ravaged and everyone including the mage stuck with him due to his good natured and charismatic personality. This is why Rimuru decided to use him for the role of "Champion"(you DO NOT call your self a "Hero", cut Milim part explains why) since he could tell he was a good if gruff guy who cared about people.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Mordaedil posted:

She switches around, because it's fun.

I'll be surprised if she does in the anime. The new outfit is what she's wearing in the ED, and I don't think they're going to have time to show her in different outfits.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Is doomrider7 ever going to allow a possibly rhetorical question go by without answering it with manga spoilers?

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I dunno why he made a second thread and still manages to gently caress it up this bad.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

gmq posted:

Is doomrider7 ever going to allow a possibly rhetorical question go by without answering it with manga spoilers?

no

Even after like 20+ people challenge him to post like he doesn't know whats going to happen, even if its extremely easy to do so

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008
Unneeded hot take that I know is not helping with the issue, but the many many posts of people complaining about doomrider7 are way more annoying to have to shift through than, you know, not hovering over a spoiler tag. I get it, it can be annoying, especially for those who don't want to investigate source materials or those who don't want to move further than the anime, but maybe make a report to a mod instead of further choking the thread up with complaints or empty quoting?

Anyway, have to agree that the passing so far over the last few episodes have kind of sucked, but this week's episode is a lot more coherent at the very least. Maybe we will get some more fleshing out with Youm over the next episode like how they explained some of the glossed over bits on what Milim and other demon lords where even up to this week.

I'm excited for Charybdis, Clayman's reaction to the name was really good (in fact, I'm still in love with just how expressive these characters are, even though the show seems to be rushing through plot points right now, the animation quality is at least still top notch).

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

"My dear Seth, you look absolutely dashing!"

Hair Elf

Patware posted:

i challenge you to post as though you were only watching the anime

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

I genuinely don't understand why people are having a heart attack about a dude filling in details that the show decided to skip.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I enjoy spoilers and won't hesitate to read about things I haven't seen/read yet. I often enjoy things more when I know what to expect, it makes it easier to look for the cool details and potential giveaways. And "spoilers" usually just tell about the outcome, not the way to it anyway.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

dogsicle posted:

:siren:Spoiler Policy:siren:
Don't post untagged manga or LN spoilers, and preferably just don't post that stuff at all until it comes up in the show. Anything in the current episode is a-ok to be untagged, even if you're coming here fresh off viewing it. The airtime is provided below so assume any posts after that point could have spoilers/"spoilers" for the new episode.
Yeah, this rule is still in place. If it's gonna happen in the anime, don't talk about it here.

We have a thread for the manga/LN's. If you wanna talk about those and how the anime varies, seems sensible enough to do so there.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I don't enjoy spoilers because I like a fresh experience and the space to form my own throughts.

Though I think that spoilers about skipped content are ok so long as it doesn't spoil future details in the process. I also think it's important especially if there are crucial story details that were missed I would just ask those posting this kind of spoiler to be careful that they aren't accidentally spoiling something in the future.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Wark Say posted:

Yeah, this rule is still in place. If it's gonna happen in the anime, don't talk about it here.

We have a thread for the manga/LN's. If you wanna talk about those and how the anime varies, seems sensible enough to do so there.

I feel like this is genuinely dumb policy. It was understandable when the guy was constantly talking about things that were gonna happen, but filling in stuff the anime is skipping because it's rushing through (and still putting it in spoiler tags as a courtesy) is the most non-issue thing I've ever seen. You shouldn't have to go to a thread talking about the series as a whole - future events included - to fill in skipped details.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Wait, so the anime is just straight up skipping stuff (I put this show on hold until it's finished, so I haven't followed anything after episode 4)? If instead of doing things differently from the OG Novels/the manga adaptation the anime is straight up leaving content by the wayside to the point that it seems fairly unlikely that it'll revisit it, then yeah, that's a bit trickier.

Hmm.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

I mean, there's a big difference between someone speculating and asking rhetorical questions and "Would someone who has read the manga please tell me why X matters?"

Someone too eager to fill missing details just kills any speculation the thread may be able to do otherwise.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Oh Snapple! posted:

I feel like this is genuinely dumb policy. It was understandable when the guy was constantly talking about things that were gonna happen, but filling in stuff the anime is skipping because it's rushing through (and still putting it in spoiler tags as a courtesy) is the most non-issue thing I've ever seen. You shouldn't have to go to a thread talking about the series as a whole - future events included - to fill in skipped details.

If I've learned anything from time here, bitching and moaning are the currency on here and find it kind of lol worthy and hypocritical that in spite of falling in line with the rules, people bitch and moan about my posts, but are more than ok clogging up the thread with empty posts and quotes adding nothing to the discussion or even discussing ANYTHING about the series in any capacity beyond, "new outfit/episode". Hey guys, maybe don't loving read the spoiler tagged stuff or don't ask questions you don't want answered in any capacity? I fill the with answers because yes, a lot of stuff is getting skipped that's causing a lot of issues like I expected it would in terms of people not knowing what's going on. The entire anime is being done as more akin to a vehicle to sell the manga and LN given the amount of stuff being cut out and that material is becoming more unlikely to turn up since we're about 5-6 episodes from the main series end with episodes 24 and 25 being specials.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I think the issue people have with this is that you are not prefixing the spoiler with a warning that this relates to differences from the other material, rather than only what is shown in the anime.
If you had written "Manga/LN differences" before that spoiler it'd be clear why someone may want to skip it.
Unprefixed spoilers in the anime thread are assumed to be about the anime only.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

nielsm posted:

I think the issue people have with this is that you are not prefixing the spoiler with a warning that this relates to differences from the other material, rather than only what is shown in the anime.
If you had written "Manga/LN differences" before that spoiler it'd be clear why someone may want to skip it.
Unprefixed spoilers in the anime thread are assumed to be about the anime only.

Basic literacy tells you what that black box was gonna be about.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
Yeah honestly I think the reaction to doomrider is way overblown and way more annoying than doomrider himself.

Filling in missing details that this anime is skipping/glossing over is good if it's tagged so people can check it out instead of having to go into a thread that will specifically have way more spoilers on future content.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

There hasn't been anything of note left out in this adaption.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
OK, after sweating like a gosh darn pig for 50 minutes, here's the deal:
  • Doom, I know you put (or try to) everything behind spoiler tags. Keep that up. I'd recommend you to put some warning before the spoiler-tagged content like (some stuff that the anime skipped from the manga/novels) things skipped go here or some-such. I'm sure there's gonna be goons who find it interesting to know what's been left on the cutting room floor. Hell, I'm often intrigued by things that don't make it to the final product for x or y reason, but sometimes, my endless curiosity has gotten the better of me and I feel that I've "ruined" some shows/movies/games/books/etc for myself by skimming through spoilers here and elsewhere, and I guess it's the feeling that a lot of goons want to express here: of not knowing what's behind the spoiler tags. That way, if they're not curious they can just skip your post and find out on their own by checking the novels/manga.
  • That said, if it's spoilers from stuff down the road that hasn't even been mentioned and might still happen, yeah, don't do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
e: double post, for some dadgum readon. :confused: