Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Smol posted:

I love Galio, that's all.

they are reverting his E nerf lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

There's nothing refreshing like a sauna!
Kled is a fat sack of poo poo.

Edit : holy crap that was more frustrating than my bonzai garen game from a couple weeks ago. I got mauled by kled on both karthus and sion.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
they just picked trundle in lck vs a team without a hypertank. other team picked zac after the trundle pick though.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
It’s Jin Air via Gen G. They don’t believe in finishing a game before 45 minutes.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
trundle did nothing whole game while being outfarmed by a zac. then they lost.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Dipping back into this after like 3 years away from the game and spent a weekend catching up on stuff. The last champion release I was around for was Kindred if that's any indication.

The major differences seem to be:

• Runes and masteries got merged, thank God. Still kind of unnecessarily fiddly
  • Boot enchantments are gone
  • Many, many champions got reworks
  • Many items got reworks
  • The game in general is way more intricate with more stuff going on -- see above about "unnecessarily fiddly" -- though I really do like all the additions the jungle got. The jungle is a massive improvement

I'm pretty much caught up on the mechanics changes and all that, but I have absolutely no clue where the meta is at right now. I don't know who's good, who's not, and for which reasons. It looks like the typical comp is still 1/1/2/Jungle and the role queue only helped to set that in stone. I think Yasuo is still top tier (and, in general, the game has leaned heavily towards "totally sikk power fantasy" judging from what they've done with mechanics and also in the art department -- not that that's a bad thing), but what about marksmen and top lane?

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

I think the game is mostly pretty balanced. Some champions are a bit OP or a bit weak, but it really depends on your play style, too. The championships going on right now have caused some stir with winners playing "weak" champs.

The roles seem pretty set in stone, though some champs can be played in different roles, and in the later half of the game everyone does whatever.

There are a ton of websites that tell you how to play, and what to build, for any given situation. It's a whole infrastructure.

At least that's how I understand it as someone who has played the game for a whole 1 month.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

SKULL.GIF posted:

I'm pretty much caught up on the mechanics changes and all that, but I have absolutely no clue where the meta is at right now. I don't know who's good, who's not, and for which reasons. It looks like the typical comp is still 1/1/2/Jungle and the role queue only helped to set that in stone. I think Yasuo is still top tier (and, in general, the game has leaned heavily towards "totally sikk power fantasy" judging from what they've done with mechanics and also in the art department -- not that that's a bad thing), but what about marksmen and top lane?

Marksmen are what I can speak to mostly as a bot laner, and pretty much everyone who fits the standard AD Carry mould works down there right now, even if the people who can only play crit marksmen are screaming like babies on Reddit constantly that crit is dead and killed and completely unplayable (which even if true wouldn't be a bad thing). The introduction of turret plating did a lot for surviving in a bad lane with a champ who doesn't have a strong laning phase, as you're not going to lose your entire tower because you had to back after one bad trade. It also added a lot of reward to being aggressive in lane since knocking off plates gives you gold without having to completely take the tower so long as you're being smart about it and not just feeding all that gold back to the enemy jungler for being constantly pushed up.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Hell, I spent just 2 months away and feel like my meta knowledge has evaporated, that or I'm getting the new-season trolls in every game.
Why am I getting jungle garens on my team, why are lanes lopsiding like they were a silver vs challenger matchup with 0/6/0's vs the 8/0/2's by 10 minutes.
I feel like I need something besides pick rate and win % numbers to get caught up on what the current meta is.

Though I feel like I could of predicted the popularity of Karthus, suddenly a 50-52% winrate champ stuck with precision's attack speed stats and no good domination keystone despite it being his best minor rune line has all those problems fixed and suddenly he is played in every single role, I expect by next patch his early game Q damage is going down.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Jan 28, 2019

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

the quality of games is especially dire at the moment

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Radical posted:

I've had one or two balanced games out of the first 13 of the season. The rest were complete stomps one way or another.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Radical posted:

the start off the ranked season is always the worst, I don't even play at this time of year. give it a week or two and it will be back to "normal"

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions

Sexpansion posted:

the start off the ranked season is always the worst, I don't even play at this time of year. give it a week or two and it will be back to "normal"

I know this and yet I couldn't help myself. I've gotten lucky, im 3-0 at the moment which have all been stomps.

Gonna play another couple tonight and fully expect them to be poo poo shows. Just hope they're the right kind of poo poo shows

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions
Also I don't think anyone really has a clear read on the meta right now - a lot of champions have 2-3 roles available to them, crit marksmen are more or less fine, assassins are not insane, tanks work when they're used correctly etc

I don't even really have any champs I must ban at the moment (meaning I just take blitz off the table)

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
Akali is annoying enough to always ban imo. Otherwise I ban Lucian because I'm sick of him being in every game.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
i'm at the level of play where yi and tryndamere are literally unbeatable so you know, fun times

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

ungulateman posted:

i'm at the level of play where yi and tryndamere are literally unbeatable so you know, fun times

I played against an Yi in top lane yesterday and it was really annoying, he'd get down to 1 hp and then run under his tower to heal. I was always not sure whether to try and get him, or use the 2 seconds to farm some more.

Then his jungle came up and ganked me, but I ended up winning anyway.

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions
Think I've seen yi in top with me twice and both times it did not go well for the yi

Alpha strike leaves you very open in a 1v1 lane

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

el dingo posted:

Think I've seen yi in top with me twice and both times it did not go well for the yi

Alpha strike leaves you very open in a 1v1 lane

yeah, pretty much this. lane yi is playable but there are a lot of very bad matchups. you really have to know what you're doing

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

ungulateman posted:

the trick is to do well enough in your lane that people respect your calls and just force objectives to get the game tempo rolling. as soon as your allies casually let yi stockpile enough to get into the yi zone, you lose.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDkWsLvuq7s this video is a great example of The Plat 1 Experience for anyone who has not experienced it before

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
Aside from the tilt, jungle morde obliterating everyone early and going 7/1/3 is for sure the plat 1 experience

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

pog boyfriend posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDkWsLvuq7s this video is a great example of The Plat 1 Experience for anyone who has not experienced it before
I'm sure you folks heard it before plenty of times, but it was my first time hearing it, but him bringing up that the issue with tilting is that it not only ruins the current game but also the next one really reasonates with me.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

kingcobweb posted:

Aside from the tilt, jungle morde obliterating everyone early and going 7/1/3 is for sure the plat 1 experience

the plat 1 meta is banning or picking jungle morde every game

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:
I've been loving around with Illaoi in normals with goons, so figured I may as well try my placements on her:

Supercut of some of the various 1v2/1v4/1v5s:
https://plays.tv/s/M3ybaw5Ct5L4
Featuring: me flashing a non-existent Riven ult, jumping into 4 people and forgetting to press ult but winning anyway, and some nonsense amounts of lifesteal. Bonus Klepto/Ravenous:

This poo poo is dumb (read: great).

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I hate hate seeing Illaoi she is just a meat bag of damage.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

foutre posted:

I've been loving around with Illaoi in normals with goons, so figured I may as well try my placements on her:

Supercut of some of the various 1v2/1v4/1v5s:
https://plays.tv/s/M3ybaw5Ct5L4
Featuring: me flashing a non-existent Riven ult, jumping into 4 people and forgetting to press ult but winning anyway, and some nonsense amounts of lifesteal. Bonus Klepto/Ravenous:

This poo poo is dumb (read: great).

hooooooly hell

I really enjoy the first part of that video where you kill Sejuani after she flashes away and Riven just stands there obviously going "wghat the gently caress" in chat and maybe pinging MIA

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan
Hey Bond (or anyone else who plays Ezreal), I have an Ez itemization question. How do you fill out his lategame build? Going Muramana/Iceborn/Archangels for his early-midgame feels pretty solid, but after getting bork (or gunblade if the situation allows for it) I'm not sure how to fill out the last two slots. Do I grab more defense? Get two AP items? Buy a Last Whisper to drop some nuclear bomb Qs on my opponents? Something else? Help would be appreciated, it feels like my Ez falls off lategame because I don't know how to wrap up my build.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

Invalid Validation posted:

I hate hate seeing Illaoi she is just a meat bag of damage.

I prefer "big slab of beef yelling bring it".

kingcobweb posted:

I really enjoy the first part of that video where you kill Sejuani after she flashes away and Riven just stands there obviously going "wghat the gently caress" in chat and maybe pinging MIA

Yup, after every 1vX she typed some variation of "balanced xD". Good poo poo imo. To be fair, it is kind of dumb that at 2-1 I was able to 1v4; admittedly with a lot of enemy cooldowns already down.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

foutre posted:

I prefer "big slab of beef yelling bring it".

Yup, after every 1vX she typed some variation of "balanced xD". Good poo poo imo. To be fair, it is kind of dumb that at 2-1 I was able to 1v4; admittedly with a lot of enemy cooldowns already down.

illaiaikeapio definitely looks strong, but one must keep in mind that these people made only the minimum possible effort to avoiding fighting in your tentacles

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Lol what the gently caress did Riot do to Shen. This is unplayable.

Reading over his abilities and messing around with them in practice, this is literally unworkable anywhere else other than top lane. They designed an entire kit that just simply doesn't work anywhere other than the top lane rub-against-fatties meta.

If you could at least target where you want the sword to move it'd work a lot better, but just simply pulling it to you (for an exorbitant energy cost, no less) makes it way too clunky to work in a game full of flashes and dashes and vaults.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

SKULL.GIF posted:

Reading over his abilities and messing around with them in practice, this is literally unworkable anywhere else other than top lane. They designed an entire kit that just simply doesn't work anywhere other than the top lane rub-against-fatties meta.

If you could at least target where you want the sword to move it'd work a lot better, but just simply pulling it to you (for an exorbitant energy cost, no less) makes it way too clunky to work in a game full of flashes and dashes and vaults.

shen is decent and shen support occasionally shows up, admittedly not as a top tier pick but playable in certain metas as a counter to aggro tanks like leona. right now shen is not doing too hot but he had his time under the sun and is still a decent champion and can be very strong in the right hands.

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.

SKULL.GIF posted:

As a person who has played Shen top, jungle and support, his abilities sound clunky but are actually pretty smooth. Not that I'll ever recommend Shen jungle.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

SKULL.GIF posted:

Reading over his abilities and messing around with them in practice, this is literally unworkable anywhere else other than top lane.

He was a meta support for about a year. He's never really been able to be played anywhere except top and support. Tanks have drifted out of the meta for a variety of reasons, but he's still perfectly solid, and he absolutely annihilates the backline now if you pick up Titanic and get a good E -> Q.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

pog boyfriend posted:

illaiaikeapio definitely looks strong, but one must keep in mind that these people made only the minimum possible effort to avoiding fighting in your tentacles

Oh yeah, they just really consistently didn't learn and stubbornly refused to kite me. It was a v principled stance, which I respect, but definitely the wrong call. They also stacked cc a lot instead of chaining it, which helped as well. I definitely should have gotten merc treads but they let me get away with tabis.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
Yeah Shen support is dope. His early all-in is actually crazy if you hit E, which I don't.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

kingcobweb posted:

Yeah Shen support is dope. His early all-in is actually crazy if you hit E, which I don't.

Remember that period of about a month back in 8.12 or 8.13 where you could run Shen + Taliyah bot and guarantee a kill by level 3? That was a real classic of game.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.

Transient People posted:

Hey Bond (or anyone else who plays Ezreal), I have an Ez itemization question. How do you fill out his lategame build? Going Muramana/Iceborn/Archangels for his early-midgame feels pretty solid, but after getting bork (or gunblade if the situation allows for it) I'm not sure how to fill out the last two slots. Do I grab more defense? Get two AP items? Buy a Last Whisper to drop some nuclear bomb Qs on my opponents? Something else? Help would be appreciated, it feels like my Ez falls off lategame because I don't know how to wrap up my build.

Buy sorc boots.

BotRK to GA/Scimitar/LDR/Mortal Reminder. Or Gunblade to Deathcap/Morello/Zhonya/Banshees/whatever.

Take Gathering Storm as well if you want more late game insurance.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Is Manamune kogmaw still awesome?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

Anidav posted:

Is Manamune kogmaw still awesome?

What does "still" mean in this context, given that no one ever built manamune on adc or mod kogmaw